EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Quests and Live Events
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Adama

Apprentice

Hi new-ish player (Living Legacy returnee--excellent promotion by the way) with a question regarding the rewards from "A Prophet Returns." I've done the chain, gotten the celestial dagger and sold it to a merchant days ago, unaware of the changes that today's update would bring. Will there be any way to reacquire the rewards (such as a one-time talk with the Seeress or a short errand)?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Wyrmypops

Loremaster

If the item was one of the ten last things you sold, there's a "buy back" tab in the vendor window could save you.

If it's long gone, you could send in a petition to see about getting it reimbursed.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Elorah

Loremaster

The forums are your friend...  The test notes were listed on June 4th 2008,  I hope that you can get it back, but you are not the only one to sell it.  The reimbursement policy can be harsh....especially with so many that did it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Thilandril

Loremaster

I'm in the same boat. I did the quest on an evil character. I received the Lurid Claw of Pestilence. It was cool looking, but not good enough to replace what I was using. I actually took it to my character's residence to see if I could place it in the house as a trophy. When I couldn't, I sacrificed it. I'd love to get it back, if only because it would be a perfect adornment for my evil character's home. I hope the devs realize how many of us made this mistake, not knowing the change was coming and give us a way to get our items back.

And yes, I read forums and such but managed to miss this announcement...but we all know that forum readers are the minority.

Thilandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Adama

Apprentice

First, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I've long sold more than 10 items thus precluding buying it back from merchants (nevertheless, I did buy the last batch of items I sold, hoping that doing so, I could eventually get to the dagger, but no such luck as expected).As for not knowing about the impending update, I currently use the beta Station Launcher (which I love--the launcher's features of enabling ToS hiding, remembering station name and password, and auto log-in really makes hopping on for a quick play session quick and easy) that does not by default show game news while prepping the game for launch and so only saw the patch notes the day it went live. I wouldn't have even seen it had I not temporarily used the default EQ2 launcher because I was under the impression that the beta was not working correctly as it said it was patching the game instead of just letting me play. It didn't occur to me that a) there really was a GU going live and b) the launcher was working as expected and not doing strange "beta" stuff. SMILEY
Old 06-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
valkry

Gnombie!!

Keep asking folks. Way back Ghoulbane had an option to take a weakened version of a dagger (which I lovingly called Ghoulteaser) or take the weakened Ghoulbane. A lot of mages took the dagger, of course, with out realizing that you HAD to have the weakened Ghoulbane to continue the HQ quest. Eventually, enough folks complained and we were able to complete a small quest to get the weakened Ghoulbane.

valkry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Nimeesha
Server: Befallen
Guild: Solo Artist

Loremaster

They should add them to the quest reward merchant in GU46.  That way all you would have to do is kill a few more void creatures to get it back.  I think that would solve the problem.
Nimeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Saev

General

As was suggested in a another thread, they could be added to the shady swashbuckler. If you did the quest you could buy the reward back.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Kaitheel

Dev

Unfortunately, it can't be added to Shady.  That would be a great solution, but it won't work.  We've already attempted it.  That's why we haven't done it already.

There is no way for Shady to know which weapon type you chose as your quest reward (Good aligned were able to choose between hammer or blade and evil aligned were able to choose between fist and claw).  Nor is he able to see which one you may have turned into a mounted weapon and have in your house.  As a result, he would offer you both quest rewards even if you still had one of them!  If the quest had awarded you only one weapon and no choices, then yes, it would have made sense and been my pleasure to have placed those items on Shady.  But alas that is not how it was.

For those that sold the item to a vendor, and it is no longer available for buy back, then I can only suggest you request CS support to regain the quest reward that you had chosen.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Mr. Dawki

General

Kaitheel wrote:

Unfortunately, it can't be added to Shady.  That would be a great solution, but it won't work.  We've already attempted it.  That's why we haven't done it already.

There is no way for Shady to know which weapon type you chose as your quest reward (Good aligned were able to choose between hammer or blade and evil aligned were able to choose between fist and claw).  Nor is he able to see which one you may have turned into a mounted weapon and have in your house.  As a result, he would offer you both quest rewards even if you still had one of them!  If the quest had awarded you only one weapon and no choices, then yes, it would have made sense and been my pleasure to have placed those items on Shady.  But alas that is not how it was.

For those that sold the item to a vendor, and it is no longer available for buy back, then I can only suggest you request CS support to regain the quest reward that you had chosen.

I see what you mean Kaitheel, but why would it matter? Honestly the weapon is a piece of fluff anyway why would you care is someone had 1 of each reward, I don't see itas a threat to any part of the game other than having a few extra house items in the end.
Mr. Dawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Noaani

Loremaster

Mr. Dawkins wrote:
Kaitheel wrote:

I see what you mean Kaitheel, but why would it matter? Honestly the weapon is a piece of fluff anyway why would you care is someone had 1 of each reward, I don't see itas a threat to any part of the game other than having a few extra house items in the end.

I have to say, I don't really get it either.

As it is now, I can walk up to Shady and get a second Shiny Brass Shield, and can have both a kite and buckler version of it. I can have any of the avalible Dwarven Work Boots, or Journeymans Boots, so why is it different with this treasured weapon that is no longer able to be obtained in game?

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Allisia

Loremaster

The weapon can now scale with you as you level up, according to the patch notes.  Thus, if you had access to more than one of them you could keep the same weapons until you hit tier 8.  They're decent weapons, just slightly below mastercrafted quality I believe. That might be a concern for the devs, certainly much more so than over decorating your house with one. SMILEY
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
Akaran2

Loremaster

If I may suggest, how about just putting the hammers, daggers and claws on there as house items only, so that it doesn't screw up the way the quest only gave out one reward?

Akasin, 80 Necromancer

Aksiria, 80 Fury

New Outriders

Mistmoore

Facebook Rants!

Akaran2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #14
Adama

Apprentice

Quite an interesting look at the game's underpinnings, thanks for the reply Kaitheel. I think I might go ahead and contact CS as you suggested, although I don't feel very strongly about the issue in any case--being pretty much a stranger in a strange land at this time, one who is having fun nevertheless. Perhaps when I get my sea legs...I suppose that being aware of issues such as these, the team is always working on improving the quest system and particularly ways to help players correct actions that in the context of subsequent Game Updates and hindsight feel like the wrong thing to have done. May I suggest looking at how other games accommodate possible "quester's remorse" and let players reacquire quest rewards?(If you feel that talking about other developers and games in the forums is verboten, please skip the next paragraph and go straight to the suggested solution)I'm thinking of Turbine's introduction of Quest Reward Vendors into one of the cities in Angmar to accompany their Great Angmar Revamp. These NPCs allow players to purchase Quest rewards they no longer have for various reasons (such as the item not being an upgrade or particularly good prior to the revamp) with the proviso that they have completed the item's associated quest. Another mechanic would be World of Warcraft's "Violet Eye" faction ring exchange quest, which allows players with exalted reputation to exchange their rings for another at a cost. Even if the player no longer has the ring he could talk to the quest NPC to receive his original choice and then proceed with the exchange.In the context of EQ2 and Shady not knowing about the player's choices re: "A Prophet Returns", perhaps a player who finished the quest could talk to the Seeress (or an assistant in the event that the Seeress' story should come to a decisive end) instead and be allowed to again choose the reward he would like, for a cost in coin commensurate to the player's current level to account for the rewards' newfound ability to scale with the player.That said thanks for the replies everyone, and kudos to SOE for an excellent promotion and great job on improving EQ2 from launch to GU45 and beyond.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
KniteShayd

Loremaster

Elorah wrote:
 but you are not the only one to sell it.  The reimbursement policy can be harsh....especially with so many that did it.
That is why you never sell items from a live event.  You keep them as the devs may do something down the road to it.  Like this event.
KniteShayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
Elorah

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Elorah wrote:
 but you are not the only one to sell it.  The reimbursement policy can be harsh....especially with so many that did it.
That is why you never sell items from a live event.  You keep them as the devs may do something down the road to it.  Like this event.
Lol, I never do either....  it might be why I am lacking in space on some characters SMILEY
Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
ShaenO

Loremaster

I was lucky to get mine back a few moments after I sold it. I heard that they are supposed to scale in increments of 5, but I tihnk it must be 10 because my 22 Sarnak can't get anything better than the level 15 reward given by the quest. I have noticed that there are various types of Claws as rewards from the guy in Freeport, but I have not compared them.