EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Amitee

Loremaster

Im' working on my first crafter epic and got half the updates from guildies.  A guildie told me if I went outside the guild to get updates, to be prepared to tip the person who does the update for me.  My question is, how much should I tip someone doing a crafter update for me?   If it's expected to be tipped, I don't want to cause hard feelings and tip too low.  I honestly have no idea what to tip.   I have 5 updates I still need and I want to make sure I have enough for tipping before getting any work done.  Any feedback would be welcome.  SMILEY
Old 08-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Lilj

General

I honestly don't know. On Runnyeye most are still doing it for free, as long as you provide mats and come to them. I have had one tip me, but I have never charged anyone and I don't plan to do so either.I understand why you ask, and I would also be worried about not tipping the right amount, just as you are.If you are on Runnyeye, I will be happy to help you out (for free of course).
Old 08-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Calthine

ZAM EQII

I never ask for money to make a Puddin' Piece.  If people choose to tip, whatever they want to give is great.  I've gotten from 5g to 3p.  But it's entirely up to them!Ask first if they charge and judge the response. 

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
SilkenKidden

Loremaster

Amitee wrote:
Im' working on my first crafter epic and got half the updates from guildies.  A guildie told me if I went outside the guild to get updates, to be prepared to tip the person who does the update for me.  My question is, how much should I tip someone doing a crafter update for me?   If it's expected to be tipped, I don't want to cause hard feelings and tip too low.  I honestly have no idea what to tip.   I have 5 updates I still need and I want to make sure I have enough for tipping before getting any work done.  Any feedback would be welcome.  SMILEY
I didn't offer tips and I don't take them.  If someone offers me one, I tell them to just do the epic for the next person.
SilkenKidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
KerowynnKaotic

Tormentor of Fae

I don't charge for my Pudding Parts (*snickers*) - Assuming the Person supplies everything including fuel ..  I'll accept Tips of 'course.  However, if I have to change Accounts ... I do very much appreciate a tip.   Though, I won't offer to change Crafters & Accounts for just anyone. I've received anywhere from 5g to 1p per combine.  I remember 1 customer that tipped me 1p per combine and I did like 5 combines, even after I told him it wasn't required after the 2nd one.   That was nice .. made up for all the times I've been lucky to get a "thank you" afterward.   lol.   *sigh* .. some people out there ...

I DO tip, though.  I figure it's like any other Crafting Item.  I don't go overboard since I'm not in any rush to have an epic crafter at this point. I tip 20g per Combine, I supply everything, come to them (or as close as I can) and even supply the Portable Crafting Table, if need be. I do still need to finish up my WW & the hubby's WS & Jeweler.  

Advice?   When you are spamming the channels looking for an Epic Crafter (or any, really).   Always be upfront.   ie:  Looking for Epic Crafters (minus___), I'll come to you (or meet in SS?), I supply everything & Tipping $__/combine.   

KerowynnKaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
jolissa3

Loremaster

I never charge for Pudding Combines. I will not even accept a tip SMILEY

I have 6 Master Crafters and I know how hard it can be to get the combines done. I feel that if you put the effort into a level 80 crafter and then complete the Epic, I am happy to help.

If you are on Najena, shoot me a tell, happy to help with any that I can do. 

Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Elorah

Loremaster

If they have all the components needed, then I do not charge for them.  I can do up to 7 combines right now for people...  as long as they are willing to travel that is...  lolTips are appreciated, but not necessary....
Old 08-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Looker1010

ZAM Copy Editor

I don't expect, nor would I give a tip. The crafting epic should be about crafters helping each other and anyone with their hand out has the wrong attitude. You make sure whoever is helping you has all the materials needed (supplied by you) for the combine, say thanks when it's done and go on your way.

Merle 51 Conjurer / 50 Woodworker ... Miriamne 78 Warden / 87 Tailor

Morningstar 85 Paladin / 90 Alchemist ... Ogadia 73 Monk / 80 Carpenter

Test Server

Wamira 80 Warden / 80 Provisioner ... Breppa 64 Ranger / 71 Carpenter
Miriamne 66 Guardian / 73 Tailor ... Ariela 64 Conjurer / 72 Jeweler
Pasharia 52 Paladin / 71 Wood Worker ... Berengeria 50 Wizard / 74 Armorer
Taliana 65 Monk / 80 Alchemist ... Lavinia 54 Warlock / 70 Weaponsmith
Sadye 44 Coercer / 74 Sage ... Sarita 59 Bruiser

Kithicor - Retired
Looker1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

I never ask a tip but I will not turn down a tip. I got 3p from someone who said it was nothing and I accepted it after some arguing on my part. I never tiped neither but I did the quest with friends who had several epic tradeskillers so it was not random players.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:24 AM   #10
Besual

Loremaster

I made the epic on all my 4 toons on the same time. I asked people to come to Terrens Gasp, provided anything. Because the kind soul had to crafte the item 3-4 times he got a tip of 2p.If someone asks me to help him out I don't ask for tips but I don't turn them down either. I just ask for the fuel cost if he didn't bring the fuel along.
Brigant 90 / Alchemist 90
Coercer 90 / Sage 90
Besual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
TaleraRis

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I never charge for Pudding Combines. I will not even accept a tip SMILEY

I have 6 Master Crafters and I know how hard it can be to get the combines done. I feel that if you put the effort into a level 80 crafter and then complete the Epic, I am happy to help.

My thoughts exactly. I like to help people, and it cheapens it for me if I have my hand out while helping them, even so far as to accept a tip.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
54 Roswellian Mind Scrambler
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
TaleraRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

I offered to tip when I ran my 7 crafters thru the epic at the same time.I won't take anything when I help others.I freaked out a crafter this afternoon when I brought my stable out and helped with a majority of what she needed.  She tried to give me several plat per crafter, I flat out refused.  She kept saying it was for wasting my time.  I kept telling her if it was a waste of my time, I'd not do it.  SMILEYIn the end I told her to just pass along the kindness to others, she agreed whole heartedly and was on her way to finish the epic.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
ashen1973

Loremaster

I will always do peoples epic updates when asked as long a i am not already busy, and even then i try to tell the person when I can do it for them.

I dont expect a tip and most people do give at least a few gold, which I accept. But its the gratitude that matters most, not the actual money.

Only once have I had someone not even say thankyou, they went right on my 'dont help this fella' list.

I always offer a tip of some sort, wether it be for a normal craft or a PoP update.

Its easy for us with multiple crafters or high level adventurers to say 'its about crafters working together' but I always think that maybe the person doing the crafting is on their first crafter, does not have plat in the bank.

For a lot of people, who dont have multiple crafters/adventurers to subsidise them , The TS epic can be expensive or time consuming to complete. Yes, the rewards are well worth the effort, but that 10-20g tip, which is nothing to a lot of us, might be a whole lot to them.

--Quote from John Smedley, CEO of SOE, Oct 07

ashen1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Never asked for money......doubt I ever will.

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Obadiah

Loremaster

Amitee wrote:
Some people will charge, some won't. If they don't ask for money, I tip between 25G and 1P in addition to providing the materials and fuel. If they ask for money I just stick with whatever they are charging. I think 25G is perfectly reasonable if they don't ask for anything. I don't ask for money when I provide updates, and most of the time people don't tip. Doesn't mean I'd stop doing it though.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Thicket Tundrabog

Loremaster

I've done literally hundreds of epic tradeskill combines for others. I've recently started broadcasting my services. Here are my observations and approaches.* I never ask for a tip. I've never encountered or heard of anyone asking for a tip.* I frequently get asked about the cost of my services, or my opinion on a tip size. My answer is always the same. "It's totally your choice."* I frequently get asked whether a tip was adequate after I'm done. My answer is always the same. "Thank you, your tip was very generous."* I have been tipped everything from zero to 4 pp per combine. The average is about 50 - 75 gold, but most people tip less (One 3 plat and five no-tips average out to 50 gold per tip.) I'd say that about one in five people don't tip.I personally feel that there isn't a good answer to the OP's question. My advice is to tip, even if it's only a small amount. I often respond to requests for Pudding combines. The requester usually needs multiple combines. If that person doesn't tip for the one combine I do for them, then I politely wish them well. I don't do any other tradeskill combines for them. They never realize that I could have finished all their epic combines. If the person tips anything, even if small, I will do all the other combines for them.There is an idealogical debate about tipping. The two extremes of the debate are* People shouldn't tip. I don't accept tips because it tarnishes my feelings of generosity. Doing things for money is greedy.* People that expect free combines for tradeskill epics are freeloaders who want something for nothing.
Thicket Tundrabog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
SilkenKidden

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
I've done literally hundreds of epic tradeskill combines for others. I've recently started broadcasting my services. Here are my observations and approaches.* I never ask for a tip. I've never encountered or heard of anyone asking for a tip.* I frequently get asked about the cost of my services, or my opinion on a tip size. My answer is always the same. "It's totally your choice."* I frequently get asked whether a tip was adequate after I'm done. My answer is always the same. "Thank you, your tip was very generous."* I have been tipped everything from zero to 4 pp per combine. The average is about 50 - 75 gold, but most people tip less (One 3 plat and five no-tips average out to 50 gold per tip.) I'd say that about one in five people don't tip.I personally feel that there isn't a good answer to the OP's question. My advice is to tip, even if it's only a small amount. I often respond to requests for Pudding combines. The requester usually needs multiple combines. If that person doesn't tip for the one combine I do for them, then I politely wish them well. I don't do any other tradeskill combines for them. They never realize that I could have finished all their epic combines. If the person tips anything, even if small, I will do all the other combines for them.There is an idealogical debate about tipping. The two extremes of the debate are* People shouldn't tip. I don't accept tips because it tarnishes my feelings of generosity. Doing things for money is greedy.* People that expect free combines for tradeskill epics are freeloaders who want something for nothing.

In general I will tip a tradeskiller who doesn't give a price to start with or who charges less than I think he/she should be getting,  But not  for the epic.  I did offer tips when I was doing the epic but no one on my server ever accepted them. 

Now that I'm doing the Pudding for others, I consider it professional courtesy to my fellow master crafters not to accept tips from them or charge them anything.   I welcome the fact that they will now be helping others with their epics, easing the load on us early birds. 

For other crafting (not epic pudding) I never charge guild mates but I ask them to provide all the ingredients. I won't accept money in lieu unless I have the ingredients and fuel on me when they need it.  I found myself doing too much harvesting and shopping to do freebies for guildies so I got a little less generous with them. 

For people outside the guild, I set a price if someone contacts me and asks for something.  I'll set a lower price if I think the person wanting the item is new to the game - a first time toon.  But if I know it is the alt of a level 80, I charge the same for doing a T5 as a T8.  The work is the same. 

Other than that, I don't craft for money.  I may put some spells or armor on the market if it is convenient for my crafters to make it and I have the rares.  For that I look for a good profit.  I won't sell for less than the rare goes on the broker.  Actually I usually add a plat to that cost to start with. 

SilkenKidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #18
Caethre

Loremaster

OOC.

I agree with others who have said that there is no correct answer to questions like this. The only thing to be borne in mind is that people often have *very*different points of view on these subjects, and the best thing to do is *try to never take offence or take it personally* if someone else has a different view on these subjects (unless they start being rude of course), just nod and accept their opinion (but feel free to act according to your own, of course).

My approach is this:

For looking for combines from others, I always ensured my character was open (not anon or RP flagged), so that potential helpers can see who and where I am, and then ask politely in the crafting channel, no more often than once every half hour, and wait for anyone who wants to, to respond. For tipping, for all five of my epic crafters, unless it was a combine exchange (in which case tipping is irrelevant), I offered 50 gold pieces tip per piece. No exceptions - even if someone swapped characters for me, I offered it for each piece they made, unless they specifically asked me not to. Sometimes it was refused, and I accepted the refusal gracefully, but mostly it was accepted. I consider offering a tip for the kindness of a stranger offering their time to help me as the only polite thing to do - they can always refuse it if they choose. Others feel differently, naturally, but if my sixth crafter ever needs these combines, she will offer the same.

For making combines for others, well, other than for friends, I rarely offer to make combines for people. I am usually over-busy enough as it is when I am online and I can do without the extra work of making epic combines for strangers. That said, when I am not busy, then on the occasions I see someone asking politely in crafting channel and getting no answers, and if they are neither anon nor RP (so I can see what zone they are in, therefore how convenient it is for me, and also that they are the kind of person who is willing to be open to help others themselves), I will usually send them a /tell offering to make the combine for them. If they subsequently offer me a tip, I may or may not take it as I feel at the time, but if they do offer and especially if they are friendly, I will then (if I have time) offer to swap and make other pieces as other characters I have may be able to make what they need; if they do not, I will simply wish them well with their quest.

Your mileage may vary.

Lady Lorianna Ardinwena [92/320 Monk|92 Carpenter](Koada`Dal)

Lady Suzanna Narinyaare [92/320 Conjuror|92 Woodworker](Koada`Dal)

Lady Annaelisa Lorinfinlinde [92/320 Fury|92 Tailor](Koada`Dal)

Lady Silvianna [92/320 Illusionist|92 Jeweler](Koada`Dal)

Jennianna [92/320 Dirge|92 Weaponsmith](Koada`Dal)

Aurielle [92/320 Wizard|92 Alchemist](Koada`Dal)

Valerianna [92/320 Guardian|92 Armourer](Koada`Dal)

Sarahanna [92/320 Swashbuckler|92 Provisioner](Koada`Dal)

Katherianna [92/286 Beserker|92 Sage](Koada`Dal)

Guildleader of The True Path - A roleplay-based guild (level 77) on Antonia Bayle
Caethre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
Amitee

Loremaster

Thank you for all the replies.  I now have an idea of what I'm looking at to get the rest of my updates.   I just hit 77 recently and spent all my coin on changing my equipment from a nuking warden to a melee warden.  So I definately was approaching this with some trepidation!  I really am thankful for all the replies.  Even though they were varied and from different points of view, taking the summation of them all allows me to be prepared when I go to get the rest of my updates.  Also, thank you to those that offered to do the combines here, unforunately I can't take you up on it as I'm on Unrest.  SMILEY  But the thought is appreciated. 
Old 09-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Illmarr

Loremaster

When making something for someone for the Epic I tell them before I begin "No coin aside from covering the cost of fuel if you do not have them on you. No one charged during the first week when we had crafting raids blowing out items for folks, people that were not at that stage should not be penalized for it"
Illmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #21
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

Amitee wrote:
Thank you for all the replies.  I now have an idea of what I'm looking at to get the rest of my updates.   I just hit 77 recently and spent all my coin on changing my equipment from a nuking warden to a melee warden.  So I definately was approaching this with some trepidation!  I really am thankful for all the replies.  Even though they were varied and from different points of view, taking the summation of them all allows me to be prepared when I go to get the rest of my updates.  Also, thank you to those that offered to do the combines here, unforunately I can't take you up on it as I'm on Unrest.  SMILEY  But the thought is appreciated. 
I'm on Unrest as well.I can do all but Carpenter and Armourer for you...send Pheep an in-game mail and we can hook up.All of mine are in NQ but they can travel to Teren's no worries.I've a guildee, Kudail, who can do the Armourer but he's offline for a bit longer...I do know a Carpenter and can ask if she's online, that is if you need that piece.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #22
Zehl_Ice-Fire

Loremaster

I never charge more than fuel cost for the combs on all 6 of my crafters. Most people tip me anyway but some don't and I'm fine with that, if others didn't help me I wouldn't have been able to do mine. For mine that I had to have others do I usually tipped like 15g, at the time everyone was working on it. It's really up to you on a tip, if someone doesn't charge you are not obligated to tip! If you are not so rich a 10g tip is nice. Some of my friend's insisted on giving me 1p for doing 6 of their combines which was very nice but I would have done it free.I'm on Unrest too, I have all but sage, WS & armorer. All evil and in freeport but the jeweler.
Katayira: DE Inquisitor/Alchemist/Tinker
Musette: Evil Pixie Dirge/tailor
also max woodworker, jeweler, and armorer
ask me for FB
Zehl_Ice-Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
erin

Loremaster

I've never charged for an epic combine, except fuel cost if they don't have the fuel.  Most do.That being said, I refuse to get in an argument with someone who wishes to tip me. If asked, I always say that they should just pay it forward, that all I ask is they provide all the mats and the fuels, the combine is free.  If at that point they still tip me, like I said, I refuse to argue.Given that I have all 9 epic crafters and have done often as many as 6 or more combines for a person, I can understand them feeling obligated to tip, even though I tell them its unecessary.I obviously refuse all tips from guildies.As a guideline for the OP, I would say that 20-25gp is a very reasonable tip.  50gp is generous.I have never been annoyed, angry, irritated, at anyone for not tipping unless they specifically offered to pay up front and then welched without even giving me an opportunity to say no.  On the other hand, I get extremely irritated when someone doesn't bother saying thanks.  It doesn't matter if you gave me 0 g or 3pp, I still deserve a simple thank you.Fortunately 90% of the people I've dealt with are very generous (in terms of their thank yous), and some have been very generous monetarily too.  But all I ask is that you be polite and I'll happily do your crafter epic for you SMILEYWhen I've needed an epic combine, I either trade a combine for a combine (or often several for one!) or I tip 50gp.  I've been refused sometimes, and not others.  When its part of the transaction its actually a real pain for the crafter to cancel and force the craftee to resupply all the mats.I appreciate that a lot of folks feel pretty strongly about this, but I really am not sure I'm doing anything horrible by accepting a tip when the other person is adamant about it and they are getting (quite frequently) their epic completed - one stop shopping so to speak!
erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #24
sliderhouserules

Loremaster

I find myself in the not-so-generous camp, apparently. Though I tipped 50g or more for every combine for all 4 of my master crafters.I never ask for a tip to do epic combines, but...If someone is anon/role I will rarely offer up my services for them.If someone doesn't tip I will not offer the services of any of my other master crafters that I could log on for them.I am far too jaded to be unconditionally generous to people playing a video game. If I know someone *at all* and know their character to be good then that changes, and I'll go the extra mile for people. But I don't pay 15 bucks a month to do service work or something.
sliderhouserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #25
wullailhuit

Loremaster

If I'm crafting anyway and people ask for help , if they come to where I am crafting with all the raws and provide the fuels or cost of fuels, I never ask for anything , if they try and add extra I give the extra coin back.after all it's only 1-2 minutes of my time that it's costing.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #26
Kurokage
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Kagemusha

Loremaster

I'm lucky enough to be one of the few Master WS on my server. Most times I'm getting tells while waiting for the load screen to finish while logging in. Business is usually pretty good. That being said, I am in it for the business. I charge for any costs to me, and might do free work for friends/guildies. But I definately appreciate tips when I travel. If someone catches me while I am already tradeskilling, and they are willing to come to me, I might be inclined to do it for free. It's crafting and like any other requests I get I am hoping to make a buck. And yes it is a bit greedy, but I do return the favor to other crafters and offer them tips as well. If they choose to decline it's up to them. I accept tips in any form, including rares, crafting IOU's and imbue materials. Pretty much anything that shows gratitude. Keep in mind that although you may only be asking for a few minutes of thier time, you are asking for thier time, and consider how far they have to travel to where you can meet them, as well as if they have to log into other toons. That is the clincher there guys, consideration. At least offer a tip, or ask about it, offer to brag about them to your guildies, send them some business. The best tip I can get is someone adding me to thier friends list, or when I get a tell saying "So-and-so recommended ya." I'm never gonna be as famous as Mheryl, but I feel a little bit renowned when I'm getting references. Nevertheless, most times people just want to see that you aren't being ungrateful.
Kurokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #27
erin

Loremaster

sliderhouserules wrote:
If someone doesn't tip I will not offer the services of any of my other master crafters that I could log on for them.
Its funny, for me its not whether they tip or not, but how polite they are.  If someone is extremely polite when asking for a ts combine, I will go out of my way for them.  Now, for me, polite means 2 things:  1) they respect others enough to realize they are asking a favor and asking for people's time (and this is reflected in their request), and 2) they don't use words like "r" and "u".  Pet peeve.Sure, when someone tips very generously, I am more inclined to log in more crafters for them, but if they are simply very polite I feel pretty much the same way.
erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #28
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons

Loremaster

erin wrote:
If someone is extremely polite when asking for a ts combine, I will go out of my way for them.  
 SMILEY I never ask for anything but I have seem between nothing and 2-3p tips. As long as the person doesnt take forever to meet up, then I am happy enough. If I have to wait around for a long time then I get less helpfull SMILEYThe worst thing to do is to tip some extremely low amount. 1-2g isnt a "thank you", it is telling the person "Your time isnt worth crap to me". I had someone "tip" 50s per item for some T3 MC cloth once (was an alt, he wasnt a new player) ... Now, I never told him a price so nothing would have been fine, but I did send him back a msg asking him if he really though my time was only worth 3g.
Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #29
Dareena
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Dark Prophecy

Loremaster

I've never charged for making the Epic updates.  And if offered, I always tell them that payment isn't neccessary. 

However I once got into a contest of wills with a person who I just gave two updates (between their two crafters).  Realizing that the conflict was just a waste of time, I accepted the 1 Plat and went on with my day.

Dareena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #30
Doodar

Loremaster

i Charge for fuel if they do not have the fuel that is it anything else they put into the commision window is of their own accord. I do not argue as usually it ends up in my mail box.
Doodar is offline   Reply With Quote