EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2007-2011
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Ashlanne

Project Manager

We're gearing up for Fan Faire 2009, and part of that process includes organizing the panels that you, our devoted players, will be able to attend. As we get things lined up on our end, we want to know what you thought about previous years' panels.

Here's a list of the panels that we hosted in 2008. Which ones were your favorites? Do you have ideas for new panels you'd like to see? Or do you remember panels from prior years that were really fun or informative?

Reply to this thread to let us know what you think!

Fan Faire 2008 Panels

SOE / Station / Partners:

• SOE Podcast
  • SOE Customer Service
  • SOE Marketing Panel
  • SOE Community Panel
  • Station Launcher
  • "Station Voice™ powered by Vivox"
  • Live Gamer

Games In Development:

• The Agency: Developer Preview
  • The Animation of Free Realms
  • Free Realms: Designing a Casual MMO
  • A Behind-the-Scenes Look at a Monumental New Title in Development

EverQuest:

• EverQuest: Game Mechanics
  • EverQuest: Quest Workshop
  • EverQuest: Raids and Missions
  • EverQuest: General Session
  • EverQuest: Expansion Highlights
  • EverQuest: Special Feature Addition
  • EverQuest Live Quest: Portal Fragments

EverQuest II:

• EverQuest II: Guild Hall Preview
  • EverQuest II: Anatomy of an Update
  • EverQuest II: History and Lore
  • EverQuest II: Preview the Upcoming Expansion
  • EverQuest II: History and Lore
  • EverQuest II: Anatomy of an Update
  • EverQuest II: Anything Goes
  • EverQuest II: Live Quest: To Tame the Savage Beast

Matrix Online:

• MxO: Developing the Story and Live Events
  • MxO: The Ongoing Story

Pirates of the Burning Sea:

• Pirates of the Burning Sea

Planetside:

• PlanetSide: Roadmap 2008 and Beyond
  • PlanetSide: Design Session

Star Wars Galaxies:

• Star Wars Galaxies: Trader and Entertainers
  • Star Wars Galaxies: All About Combat
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Storyteller, Roleplaying and Events
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Collections
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Heroic Encounters
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Galactic Assembly
  • Adding Content to Star Wars Galaxies
  • Star Wars Galaxies Live Quest: Battle of the Echo Base

Trading Card Games:

• Legends of Norrath
  • Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game QA

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes:

• Vanguard: High Level panel
  • Vanguard: Create a Quest!
  • Vanguard: General Game and Development
  • Vanguard: State of the Game
  • Vanguard Live Quest: Trouble on the Trade Route

Don't forget we have a special forum for Fan Faire on the Station Forums, too. We hope you'll be joining us for Fan Faire 2009, June 25-28, at Bally's in Las Vegas! See you there!

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
MasterCosmo

SOE Community Council

Unfortunately I didn't go, but I got a ton of information from reports on SWG All About Combat panel. I love information that the devs will go into detail about how things work and how they approach the game. This is what I'd love to see.

Also, gotta push The Agency and Free Realms! Having those panels will be good to see return

MasterCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Kela

Master

My only issue with last years panels was that the Upcomming Game Panels where held Opposit the major Panels for exsisting games, like the DCUO panel opposite EQ2-anything goes (both days), The Agency Opposite the Guild Hall Preview(Day 1) and the Expainsion Preview(day 2). It would be better if with the upcomming titles you could swing something like you did at the Rio FF where you had multiple Panels for the title on the same day.

Say like have The Agency Panels on Day 1 at 10, 2, and 4. Then have the DCUO Panels at the same times on Day 2. I am assuming by FF FreeRelms will have launched, so I am not counting that as an Upcomming game.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
pwh

SOE Community Council

Ashlanne wrote:

Star Wars Galaxies:

• Star Wars Galaxies: Trader and Entertainers
  • Star Wars Galaxies: All About Combat
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Storyteller, Roleplaying and Events
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Collections
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Heroic Encounters
  • Star Wars Galaxies: Galactic Assembly
  • Adding Content to Star Wars Galaxies
  • Star Wars Galaxies Live Quest: Battle of the Echo Base

Trading Card Games:

• Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game QA

I'll offer perspective from the SWG side.  The Galactic Assembly was "win" all around and needs to be repeated.  I also missed the storyteller panel last year, so hopefully this can be revisited.  Like MC, I am a big fan about hearing about Combat so I hope they repeat this.  Getting insights into the content creation tools and heroic creation was great as well.  I'll be anxious to see what the community team has in store for us regarding the live event, since Valara is leaving, but I'll participate in this again.  In other words, I think many of the themes of last years panels would appeal to folks attending this year.  The one thing I'd like to see added is a panel about space ... where we've been, and where we're going with it.

pwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
juggies420

The Quiet Type

For the EQ Live Quest, last year it was easy to exploit a loophole by repeating some of the quests over for more portal fragments. Some teams also had more than 10 people. I would say more safeguards to avoid that happening again this year. SMILEY

juggies420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Meric

Journeyman

In regards to SWG panels, in Fan Faire 2007, there was a Community Panel with John Smedley. Can he join us again this year?

Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Beadil

Journeyman

Sort of panel related: Give us some sort of lunch break time.  I honestly love the time filled with panels etc. but a 1 hour break may be nice.  The way panels were arranged last year, i hardly missed anything I wanted to see and managed to visit a few panels on "other" games as well.

Is it June yet ?

Beadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Kela

Master

Beadil wrote:

Sort of panel related: Give us some sort of lunch break time.  I honestly love the time filled with panels etc. but a 1 hour break may be nice.  The way panels were arranged last year, i hardly missed anything I wanted to see and managed to visit a few panels on "other" games as well.

Is it June yet ?

One thing I really liked last year was that there where no panels durring the live events, meaning there is a 2 hr break for most people on atleast 1 of the 2 days, unless you really want to do live quests... and even then most where accually done in about an hour so you still had time to go get something fast.

The only problem I had was that the Good EQ2 panels where opposite the Preview panels for FreeRelms, Agency, and DCUO. I would rather those panels either be in the morning opposite the Platform panels, or done at multiple times on both days.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
stargazntreki

The Quiet Type

I recently posted this on MMORPG worlds and I am posting it again here for the Devs. I would like to see at FanFaire a promise to start agressively marketing everquest2. WoW gets ozzy osbourne, and I'm left trying to recruit everyone on myspace to play eq2. What the heck? You would not believe the number of times I get "Everquest2? What is that?" I don't want to bash WoW, I believe games are meant to be, and should be fun, and that everyone should play what they enjoy, but everyone I have ever spoke to that has played both games, has said that eq2 is more enjoyable. So why don't we have 3 million subscribers? It's not that WoW is sooo much easier, and that all the 12 year olds are playing it, trust me eq has its fair share of kids, it's because Sony has never advertised this game, and now with it being largely available by download only, I think that it is imperative to the game's health, that it be advertised to the general public via television, or other means. Plus it would be cool to see Norrath on television, and say "Hey that's my game!" I want Sony to take action now! Hell they have a day named after them in California, surely they can afford it???? SONY ADVERTISE EVERQUEST2!!!! Stop leaving it up to us to recruit new players. It's not our job, it's yours! And I'm sick of this. I've recruited my cousins, my sister, my brother, my inlaws. Now it's your turn! Do your job and keep our game alive please! Maybe they have been advertising in other parts of the world? I don't know. I live on the east coast of the U.S.A. and I have never once seen Everquest 2 advertised except for one time in a gaming magazine. Breathe life back into our communities. Give us new players.

stargazntreki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Sassums

Lord of the Forums

I think the adding content panel for SWG Would be good, because too much content is being added through the trading card game, and not enough through the actual game itself.

Especially when it comes to traders.

Sassums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
pwh

SOE Community Council

Sassums wrote:

I think the adding content panel for SWG Would be good, because too much content is being added through the trading card game, and not enough through the actual game itself.

Especially when it comes to traders.

That's not what the panel was about.  The panel explained the tools the devs use and how their quest generator works.  It is not a solicitation for content ideas.

pwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #12
Beadil

Journeyman

Kela wrote:

Beadil wrote:

Is it June yet ?

One thing I really liked last year was that there where no panels durring the live events, meaning there is a 2 hr break for most people on atleast 1 of the 2 days, unless you really want to do live quests... and even then most where accually done in about an hour so you still had time to go get something fast.

The only problem I had was that the Good EQ2 panels where opposite the Preview panels for FreeRelms, Agency, and DCUO. I would rather those panels either be in the morning opposite the Platform panels, or done at multiple times on both days.

Iirc, the Free Realms, Agency, DC Universe panels were offered both days?  And again, If you did the live quests, there were no breaks.  But alas, I'll worry about sleep etc. the week AFTER Fan Faire !

Is it June yet ?

Beadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
Kela

Master

Beadil wrote:

Kela wrote:

Beadil wrote:

Is it June yet ?

Iirc, the Free Realms, Agency, DC Universe panels were offered both days?  And again, If you did the live quests, there were no breaks.  But alas, I'll worry about sleep etc. the week AFTER Fan Faire !

Is it June yet ?

You are correct, Day 1 Agency was opposit the Guild Hall Preview, Day 2 it was opposit the Expainsion Prieview. DCUO was opposite the "Anything goes" Panel both days, however as they could not talk about expainsion stuff until day 2, you more or less had to goto both. As far as Free Realms yes there was a panel each day, but only one was a Preview Panel, the other was a demo on how they create animation in Free Relms... accually sat in on a bit of that as it was opposite the one of the lesser EQ2 panels. And I believe the Preview was opposite the History and Lore Panel... and I love the lore.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Sandain666

Happy Camper

I would love to see a panel on EQ2 items and eqipment

Sandain666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
Croesus

Journeyman

Ashlanne wrote:

Matrix Online:

Same again this year?

Oh, wait.. no ongoing story and no devs..

Never mind.

Croesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #16
Mave

Happy Camper

Ashlanne wrote:

Matrix Online:

What ongoing story?

What developing Story?

Mave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
Croesus

Journeyman

That was last years list.

This year might go something like this:

Matrix Online:

• MxO: How many fishbowl type drinks can Virrago drink?
  • MxO: Hunt for the Producer

Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
Yivvits

Forum Champion

Ashlanne wrote:

SOE / Station / Partners:

• SOE Podcast

Ashlanne, I'm hurt!

Yivvits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #19
Ronin_Medjai

The Quiet Type

Im not too pleased with the fact that Traders and Entertainers were paired into the same Panel last year.

It was pretty much a huge "munitions" panel, and I do believe I was the only one who asked a question related to entertainer. I have a lot of questions that I want to bring to the Panels this year, and I honestly hope between now and then you give traders and entertainers seperate panels..if anything...throw us ents in the Storyteller and Roleplay Panel.

To me...there are 4 Trader Professions and I doubt entertainers will get a fair share of feedback and questions in.

Ronin_Medjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Croesus

Journeyman

Still waiting for this years list to be released. Not that I'm going but because I want to see what what SOE has planned for MxO players who do go.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
juggies420

The Quiet Type

Croesus wrote:

Still waiting for this years list to be released. Not that I'm going but because I want to see what what SOE has planned for MxO players who do go.

More blue jeans? SMILEY

juggies420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
PodRacyStacey

The Quiet Type

I really liked the Podcast Panel we had in the morning. It was the first panel of the day and it set the tone for the rest of the day. The one thing that holds a lot of us to these games is the community. The people who work really hard to keep community informed and present it in a light way that is entertaining and inspiring. We had a lot of fun in that panel and it really did set the mood for the day. I was a little let down when the enthusiasm was not there in following panel. Start us all out on a happy note. Bring all the silly podcast professionals out. We didn't get to hear from Brent (virgin worlds). I would like to hear what his in site is on SOE's games. Also on what he sees as the future of MMO's. What directions game creators should be looking at and any comments on the games coming up. I would also like to see Abbott and Costello again. I mean Yivvits and Mr. B. They are strong with the SWG force and are a great comic team. Allen and Amy tell us about what inspires you, what you see in the MMO future. How you see podcasting take on in the future. And of course keep the funny coming. Love you guys.! See you at Fan Fair and MORE ! MORE! Star Wars Galaxies Stuff! -Eldarwen SWG Jedi 5.2 yrs
PodRacyStacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #23
Baird

The Quiet Type

I know I normally dont post much but this will be my second Fan Faire in a row.  Like what most of you had said above the problem was not being able to attend anything else due to certain events only happening once or during your "Main Game" time.

The thing I would love to see is a "State of the Game" type address for each game or however you want to lump them together.  You know say EQ2, have the lead developer come out with maybe some others and state where we are in the game, what there is going to be in the short term, long term, and maybe even just some big ideas they have and would love to just bounce it off the community.

With the way things are going in the economy and the world in general I think it would be great for all the players to just let someone tell them how healthy the product is and to be able to cheer or boo to what they hear.

Oh and even though this isnt the place, it would be nice during the Smedly address if they would go through the SOE family of games and give out some numbers, maybe throw up some screen shots.  Nothing fancy, but if I played EQOA I would love to be able to stand up and cheer when my game popped up there with some info.  Everyone wants to see their game on the big screen people, everbody.  I know when EQ2 pops up i will be yelling!

Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
ZippyTheSquirrel

Happy Camper

MxO community dissent aside, do you know who's gonna show at the Matrix Online panel?

ZippyTheSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #25
Xalmat

Forum Champion

Last year the EQ2 Lore panel has held on Friday, and the expansion announcement wasn't until Friday night. It's best to have the Lore panel occur on Saturday, after the next expansion is announced.

Remember to plan for a very large number of attendees for the expansion panel.

One major complaint that I had was that the EQ2 tournament last year was held during some of the EQ2 panels. If at all possible the panels should be scheduled as late as possible so that no EQ2 panels are occuring during the EQ2 tournament or Live Quest.

The EQ2 Live Quest also had elements taken from the announced expansion, which of course didn't occur until later that evening, so it left a lot of people clueless. This time the Live Quest should not have elements from the new expansion.

Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #26
Kela

Master

Xalmat wrote:

Last year the EQ2 Lore panel has held on Friday, and the expansion announcement wasn't until Friday night. It's best to have the Lore panel occur on Saturday, after the next expansion is announced.

Remember to plan for a very large number of attendees for the expansion panel.

One major complaint that I had was that the EQ2 tournament last year was held during some of the EQ2 panels. If at all possible the panels should be scheduled as late as possible so that no EQ2 panels are occuring during the EQ2 tournament or Live Quest.

The EQ2 Live Quest also had elements taken from the announced expansion, which of course didn't occur until later that evening, so it left a lot of people clueless. This time the Live Quest should not have elements from the new expansion.

I don't recall any elements taken from the new expainsion. I do recall a Crossword or Wordsearch that did require knowage of EQ1 lore, that applied to the new expainsion.

::EDIT::

On a differant note... any idea on when you will be able to get an ETA on when you will be able to post the info of what panels are when? If you want you can borrow my cattle prod to speed up the proccess. SMILEY

Old 04-24-2009, 05:10 AM   #27
Xalmat

Forum Champion

Kela wrote:

I don't recall any elements taken from the new expainsion. I do recall a Crossword or Wordsearch that did require knowage of EQ1 lore, that applied to the new expainsion.

The crossword puzzle had several elements from The Shadow Odyssey, which (at that moment) was not officially announced. And the Lore panel was also a couple hours away too.

The crossword puzzle came before the Wordsearch, which is ironic because they both used the same words.

Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #28
Irish

Journeyman

Actually every answer in the crossword puzzle was available to anyone who followed the lore in the game. Some of the answers got expanded on by the Shadow Odyssey info ; but there wasn't any that couldn't be answered by knowledge of previous lore , that's why it took me no time at all to do the crossword puzzle. 

The crossword came before the word search otherwise ,you would have had all the answers. No irony at all there.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
Kela

Master

Irish wrote:

Actually every answer in the crossword puzzle was available to anyone who followed the lore in the game. Some of the answers got expanded on by the Shadow Odyssey info ; but there wasn't any that couldn't be answered by knowledge of previous lore , that's why it took me no time at all to do the crossword puzzle. 

The crossword came before the word search otherwise ,you would have had all the answers. No irony at all there.

Thats what I was saying, the Clues where all based on exisiting lore, though much of that lore would apply to TSO, none of it was exclusive to TSO nor unavailable to learn. Besides the Crossword itself was ment as a bunch of clues about what the expainsion would be... I was thinking it originally was ment to go out in an EQ2 news letter, like the one for RoK, but because we had already figured out much of the content of TSO befor the offical word they desided to use it at FF instead. That and all the live events in game that where clues.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #30
Eiho

Are you guys going to release a schedule for the panels before the cut off for pre-reg?

Eiho is offline   Reply With Quote