EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Terrogaunt

Developer

Ahoy again, all. The quest bauble button for the tracker window is now on Test. If you find any bugs and the like or find yourself with some feedback on it, be sure to post it here.

As far as bugs go, if you find an item that is used as a bauble that does not show the button at the appropriate step, be sure to include all information such as the name of the item and the quest it relates to so that it can be found and fixed. A bauble, in this case, should be any quest item from your bags that you would normally have to right-click and use.

Thanks!

Edit: removing sticky

Terrogaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

Is this the first step in the efforts which SmokeJumper outlined; Taking quest items out of our inventory?  I currently walk around with 2 completely full bags of quest items on a daily basis.  It's so bad at times I feel the only thing I can do is spend my limited time 100% focused on the quests or delete them, and since all my toons are 92/320 and the quest rewards are not normally useful I don't know if the enjoyment and lore of the quests is worth the inventory and time.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Zmobie

Loremaster

How is it even possible that you would have 80+ quest items at any given time?

I do hope that this is the first step to getting rid of the physical items. Too easily misplaced, too easily accidently deleted, too many of them don't auto-delete after completing the quest, etc.

--Nibs

Zmobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Lempo

Loremaster

I would have to give this a 3rd.

Primarily because this is something that has been asked for for quite some time, and it was acknowledged a while back.

quest items could be (most already are) flagged as such and go to a tab, like mounts and currency.

I am not sure how big a fan I am of this new Make the quests easier so I don't have to do any exploration, or heaven forbid kill something that I won't get an update for idea.

I'm not trying to be negative, I don't care either way if this is put in, but with so many things that are half working, starting on a new endeavor like this (and this is a pretty big one at that). F2P accounts even with the limited # of quests they can have could easily become overloaded with quest items, and completely run out of space.

I will take a look at this on test this weekend I have some new gear that I need to test some procs on.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Delirya
Server: Guk
Guild: Eternal Legions

Loremaster

I like it! It is indeed easier than foraging in bags... feels more streamlined. The only downside I have noticed so far is that I still need to have the item in a hotbar if I want to see the cooldown on a bauble. Edited to add: ~ aITEM 10177489 1613007690:Pouch of Stunspore Powder/a for the quest "Dust to Dust" (Darklight Wood, lvl10) doesn't have a button.
Delirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Terrogaunt

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

~ aITEM 10177489 1613007690SMILEYouch of Stunspore Powder/a for the quest "Dust to Dust" (Darklight Wood, lvl10) doesn't have a button.

Thanks for the bug! It looks like this one is checking for what zone the item is in rather than the zone that the character is in. Putting in a fix for that soon.

As for removing items from bags, this is something that we'd like to see happen at some point, but still need to figure out exactly how we'd like to handle that type of task.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

The Essence of a Prophet. I'm on the step of "Speak with someone who is disloyal to Tsernia" and it has a button for Lasca's Beacon which summons the spirit of Brother Lasca who says to "Seek out Osh in Velious, I can no longer assist you."

This step is after you speak to Osh and before you talk to a resentful spirit in Tower Of Frozen Shadow: Shadowed Corridors. Perhaps Lasca's Beacon should be consumed upon speaking to Osh since it's no longer used?

EDIT: Item - "aITEM -1748803073 -1417747781 0:Lasca's Beacon/a"

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Delirya
Server: Guk
Guild: Eternal Legions

Loremaster

For the quest "The Big One" in Darklight Woods. The item aITEM 349440647 224262073:Smoldering trout/a is a charm, rather than a bauble, so it doesn't have a button. This may be intentional, but it would make sense for it to be Bauble-buttoned!
Delirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Rendoir

Loremaster

Oh my god, this would be amazing. I would love being able to eliminate the annoying bag filling nonsense that is quest items.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

For the Erollisi quest "My Romantic Reputation", the roses are not showing as "quest items". It may be due to them being a stack of regular items but it could help to have the rose in the window.

Used the button on a couple of quests without problems. Adding in a way to see the recast time would help though. Some quest items have a very long recast time and not seeing it in the window will make player still have to find the item in bags and drag it to a hotkey slot to get the info needed.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

For the Erollisi quest "My Romantic Reputation", the roses are not showing as "quest items". It may be due to them being a stack of regular items but it could help to have the rose in the window.

Used the button on a couple of quests without problems. Adding in a way to see the recast time would help though. Some quest items have a very long recast time and not seeing it in the window will make player still have to find the item in bags and drag it to a hotkey slot to get the info needed.

More likely due to the "quest" item being tradable AND brokerable me thinks.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Terrogaunt

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

This is actually because the item wasn't actually flagged with the quest association. This is now fixed SMILEY (as soon as the change goes in, that is).

Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Whilhelmina

Tester

Thanks a ton, that will definatedly save some space on hotkeys for tons of my alts ;p

Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Terrogaunt

Developer

The new code to make them show up for more cases should be on Test today and the code for the cooldown display on the icons will be coming soon.

As always, if you find any bugs, be sure to let us know! SMILEY

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Calthine

ZAM EQII

I was loving them enough on Test that I REALLY missed them when I hopped to a character running the same content on Live.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Whilhelmina

Tester

Posting it there as it may be linked.

When I get a new quest (without bauble), the quest helper shows fine. But if the quest updates, the updated text becomes truncated instead of jumping to next line.

For example:

On the run - Rinna/Guard Scheln (Elddar Grove)

First step was showing as:

Find Someone Nearby Who Might

Have Seen Where Rinna Went

Second step shows as:

Search for Rinna in the Down

Instead of going to next line and show:

Below

Resizing the window puts back the text.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Terrogaunt

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

On the run - Rinna/Guard Scheln (Elddar Grove)

First step was showing as:

Find Someone Nearby Who Might

Have Seen Where Rinna Went

Second step shows as:

Instead of going to next line and show:

Below

Resizing the window puts back the text.

I can't seem to get this to happen. I see one part in the code where it changes the text width based on the size of the bauble size, but I'm not sure if that's happening here. If it is, I might be able to get a fix in for that. Can you get me a screenshot?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Whilhelmina

Tester

Here is the truncated "down below".

AAll the other quests that I had when I logged in had no problems, it seems to be only when the quest updates.

I'm in windowed mode, lowest size of the game (1024x76SMILEY on a 1024x768 screen.

(looking at the screenshot reminds me I should remove the erollisi flowers now that the perfect patch you made went in hehe)

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Soresha

Tester

Using the new icon for the quest item in the tracker window, doing the Qeynos quest: Gnoll Rest For The Wicked

This is cool! Great feature. However there's a bug where it says "Already Casting..." on top of the cast bar, when you use the item from the tracker window icon. It works, but shouldn't be saying that. I'm only clicking the icon once, but it acts like I've clicked it twice. Checked it several times.

Don't get the same glitch using the item from inventory the old-fashioned way.

(Totally default UI here atm btw.)

Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
Whilhelmina

Tester

Did the same for me when I casted a rose earlier but thought I might have clicked twice and couldn't check another time.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Terrogaunt

Developer

Soresha wrote:

Using the new icon for the quest item in the tracker window, doing the Qeynos quest: Gnoll Rest For The Wicked

This is cool! Great feature. However there's a bug where it says "Already Casting..." on top of the cast bar, when you use the item from the tracker window icon. It works, but shouldn't be saying that. I'm only clicking the icon once, but it acts like I've clicked it twice. Checked it several times.

This is probably happening because you might have several of the same item. It's essentially looking for the item in your bag and using the "use" command on it. Since you have multiple, it could be trying to call that on all of them and fail because it's already casting it for one of them. If not, feel free to update me but I'll check in the code to see if we can prevent that.

As for the Down Below screenshot, I think I know what the problem is in that one. It was a bug that I ran into during the final stages of making the bauble feature. The text is just short enough that it doesn't create a new line for it. I'll look into squashing that one, too!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
Soresha

Tester

Terrogaunt wrote:

Soresha wrote:

This is probably happening because you might have several of the same item. It's essentially looking for the item in your bag and using the "use" command on it. Since you have multiple, it could be trying to call that on all of them and fail because it's already casting it for one of them. If not, feel free to update me but I'll check in the code to see if we can prevent that.

Nope, definately only one of the item in my bags.

Got some problems on the next quest too. Only one item given by quest again here too.

For Watching Over Qeynos, the icon for using Akina's Spirit Token is in the quest tracker window, from the first quest step onwards - even though it's not applicable at this point.

Ok so it's greyed out. If I click on the icon anyway, I get 4x the chat lines saying "You have no need to contact Akina now".

Then you get to the step to use the item.

Then later on another quets step when it's not applicable I tried again, and I get 2x those lines from clicking on the icon in the tracker window. I treid from inventory and also get 2x those lines.

Here's a thought - I can't get through the quest because it's borked, but I'd bet you have to use the item again later down the line. That would be typical. So maybe there's two steps in the quest using the item, and that's causing the duplication somehow? Just a wild guess.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Terrogaunt

Developer

Soresha wrote:

For Watching Over Qeynos, the icon for using Akina's Spirit Token is in the quest tracker window, from the first quest step onwards - even though it's not applicable at this point.

Ok so it's greyed out. If I click on the icon anyway, I get 4x the chat lines saying "You have no need to contact Akina now".

Definitely getting the double text when I clicked it from the icon. Looking into that issue right now.

Edit: found it. Fix coming soon!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Whilhelmina

Tester

Terrogaunt wrote:

As for the Down Below screenshot, I think I know what the problem is in that one. It was a bug that I ran into during the final stages of making the bauble feature. The text is just short enough that it doesn't create a new line for it. I'll look into squashing that one, too!

Yep, seems to happen only when there is a short word sent to next line, it's probably that bug you'll have to squash. Give it a kick for me!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #25
Lodrelhai

Loremaster

I'm enjoying the feature so far the times I've used it.  Admittedly, that's not often yet.

But I did wonder... how much of a hassle would it be to also have the "Catalogue" ability in the bauble icon slot when doing a catalogue quest?

Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #26
Cloudrat

Tester

I finally came across a quest with this feature let me say this .. YAY!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #27
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Escape From the House of Droag (level 80 quest) in Jarsath Wastes

Legion of Danag Marching Orders, the item shows properly as a quest bauble button in your active quests IF it is inventory, but if you equip the item in a charm slot, it does not show as a quest bauble button.

EDIT: clarification: if you equip it, it shows, but as soon as you use it to free a prisoner, it disappears from the quest helper. Also shows as what appears to be a breastplate in the quest bauble button when it's equipped.

EDIT: clarification 2, when you do not equip it, and click the quest bauble button, the default action is to equip it in empty charm slot. It equips it and the icon changes to a breastplate. It is useable at that point but after your turn in it disappears from quest bauble button.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Whilhelmina

Tester

The double casting seems indeed to be fixed!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
Terrogaunt

Developer

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

Escape From the House of Droag (level 80 quest) in Jarsath Wastes

Legion of Danag Marching Orders, the item shows properly as a quest bauble button in your active quests IF it is inventory, but if you equip the item in a charm slot, it does not show as a quest bauble button.

EDIT: clarification: if you equip it, it shows, but as soon as you use it to free a prisoner, it disappears from the quest helper. Also shows as what appears to be a breastplate in the quest bauble button when it's equipped.

EDIT: clarification 2, when you do not equip it, and click the quest bauble button, the default action is to equip it in empty charm slot. It equips it and the icon changes to a breastplate. It is useable at that point but after your turn in it disappears from quest bauble button.

Arg! This is a bug that was introduced with adding the cooldowns. The previous system made use of a custom mechanic of just stealing the icon and sending a command when clicked. Now that it's working as an inventory hotkey, it only wants to act on them when they're actually in your inventory.

I'm going to look into making a hybrid inventory/equip version of the hotkey function now so that we can retain the cooldowns.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
Valentina
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: House of Fallen Shadows

Loremaster

Have to say... now that this has made it live, I -really- like the change. This and the quest icon in the target window are two of the nicest ease-of-playing changes introduced in years. Kudos!
Valentina is offline   Reply With Quote