EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Kaldram

Loremaster

I am at about lvl 25 and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to lock and grind out AA's, but I would like to know which lvls I'm supposed to do this and and when to stop and where to go for optimal rewards.

I could have sworn there was a guide out there, but last I played was 2010. : | any help/tips would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Yimway

Loremaster

There is little reason to lock.  Just adjust the bar depending on what you are doing to keep pace to have 280aa when you ding 90.

There really isn't a wrong or right way to do that, but level locking isn't required at all.

Depending on your kill xp vs your quest xp, the location of the bar will need to be different.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe

Loremaster

I used to lock down at 50 and then just grind til i hit cap on AA then i wouldn't have to worry about hitting lvl cap with no teeth.

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Raffir

Loremaster

I adjust my bar to 70% as soon as in unlocks at 10.  I usually end up with around 290 AA at 90 by questing and running writs (good for the guild).

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Pengefinchess

Loremaster

this works - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=439000

Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
TheSpin

Loremaster

There is truly no right or wrong way to do it.

You can keep the AA bar at 0% and level to 90 ASAP and then grind out AA (most 'power gamers' do this)

You can level 'lock' and set the bar at 100% to do quests and grind out AA (a lot of relaxed style players do this)

I'm even doing something totally different, I'm leaving my AA bar at 0%, but I'm mentoring down and finishing low level quests first.  Right now I still have tons of level 20-30 content to complete, but my adventure level is 66.  I don't even have level 66 gear, I'm using level 42 mastercrafted and level 36-50 combat arts.  I'm hoping to get to at least 82 before replacing my current gear and then I'll get T9 mastercrafted and upgrade my CAs to the end-game CAs.

BTW... this is by far not the most 'efficient' way to level.  I just wanted to complete all content, and I didn't feel like level locking.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

As a Silver account, with no ability to manipulate the AA slider, I mostly solo'd my way to 90 with 232 AAs. Now, I'm up to 240 & still need 40 more to level to 91.

It's a slow grind as a Silver, but not too bad.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Kaldram

Loremaster

Thanks for all the replies. It's giving me a good idea of what to do :3

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Regolas

Loremaster

The real crux of AAs is you can't spend more than about 160 on useful stuff until you reach 80, so if you get your AAs before then you just have to sit on them. At 80 another 110 really important ones come available and at 85 another 50 in the heroic tree. I am going the route of getting to 90 first then grind 100AA. It wasn't really by choice, I started leveling an old toon that was in the 70s with low AA as well as my new toon (zerker). As I play them at the same time, I didn't want their AAs to be drastically different. By the time I got my new toon to the same level, they were both around 160AA at L75. Then I decided to get their epics and needed 85 to finish the mythical buff, so now they're both sitting at 85/190. Now I'm only 5 levels away from 90, where the gear quality jumps by almost double, it seems easier to grind at 90 rather than 85. For my next toon, I will definitely get the AAs earlier. Starting from scratch makes it easier.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I generally level to 90 with my AA slider on 0%, ending up with around 110-150 AAs by that time. Then I get the outrageously overpowered level 90 gear to mentor down and steamroll anything I want to earn AAs. I do have a veteran bonus of 140% and enough vet reward exp potions to choke a horse, though, so grinding MOBs is fairly productive for me. May not be quite as attractive for people with less of an exp bonus, where the extra exp from quest completion is more significant. It only takes a concerted effort over a single double exp weekend to bring an alt from 150-320 AAs.

I just find that I enjoy playing my characters at high levels where they have all of their important spells/abilities and decent gear. I farm epics for cash on a lot of my alts, so I usually have a full set of raid gear waiting in the bank for any new alt once they reach level 70/80.

Keep in mind that I have been playing EQ2 since launch day, so I have already experienced all the game's content, many times. For a player who is new to the game, I do not endorse my method, and would instead recommend that you set your slider to either 0% or 100%, based on how much you enjoy the content available at your current level. There is more than enough to do in EQ2 to level several characters to the cap without repeating the same content, so get out there and experience it!

Don't rush past the lower levels. I think many of us long-time players will agree that some of the best content in EQ2 is in the low-to-mid levels. You just have to go out there and find it. Believe me, the current endgame is not worth the rush.