EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Please update it so that when we press F10 we can move the window around.  Right now it doesn't even show.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Mysstie
Server: Oasis
Guild: Elysian Storm

Loremaster

I just attack something and then stop auto-attacking by pressing ` which keeps the window up and I can then move it around. If your GH has one, can use a Training Dummy to attack.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I just attack something and then stop auto-attacking by pressing ` which keeps the window up and I can then move it around. If your GH has one, can use a Training Dummy to attack.

I usually right click it when it's up.  However, when I'm attempting to re-arrange all the Windows at the same time on a new installation I'd rather not be in combat; thus, F10.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Mysstie

Loremaster

Meant to post this earlier but I got side-tracked. To show the window manually, use this command: /show_window MainHUD.AutoAttack
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
TheSpin

Loremaster

Just target yourself and turn on your auto attack, window should show up. My only beef with the window is that I'd like to be able to change its size a bit. Especially horizontally, I'd like to shrink it down just a bit.
TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Mysstie

Loremaster

I was able to change it's size horizontally just fine. Might right-click on it and make sure the window isn't locked. DOH! I just realized that I'm using the DrumsUI version of that Window so its behavior might be different than the default one. I'd have to rename it so the default one loads to see what can or can't be done with the default one.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Terrogaunt

Developer

TheSpin wrote:

Just target yourself and turn on your auto attack, window should show up. My only beef with the window is that I'd like to be able to change its size a bit. Especially horizontally, I'd like to shrink it down just a bit.

The only thing that's really handled in code for the window is the visibility mechanism. The size is just defined in the XML file, so you should be able to tweak it if you aren't happy with the size.

Terrogaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Grumpy_Warrior_01

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

TheSpin wrote:

The only thing that's really handled in code for the window is the visibility mechanism. The size is just defined in the XML file, so you should be able to tweak it if you aren't happy with the size.

For the folks who don't use a custom interface but want to resize the autoattack bar, you have a couple of options.  But changing the default autoattack bar is not going to work since the game will replace the altered file every time you open the Launchpad.

Using EQ2MAP :  If like many players you use EQ2MAP as your only UI add-on, copy-and-paste the autoattack bar file (eq2ui_mainhud_autoattack.xml) from the UIDefault folder into the EQ2MAP folder and insert the following text (shown in yellow) using Notepad to the second line down from the top:

UserResizable="true" eq2usescomwndcontrols="true" Location="375,511"... ... (line continues)

No Custom UI :  If you don't have any customizations at all, drop a copy of the autoattack file into the Default_Blue folder and change it using Notepad as shown above.  Then when you log in to the game, type /loadui into the chat window and choose Default_Blue from the list that pops up.  Your can now stretch and shrink your autoattack bar within reasonable limits.  (You will also have blue windows instead of red.)

All of this happens in the UI folder, which is under your main game folder.

PS:  When you use /loadui, you will need to zone once to clear up a few odd things that happen with certain windows.

Grumpy_Warrior_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

TheSpin wrote:

Is there a way to resize the Beastlord hotbar as well?  It's HUGE.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

TheSpin wrote:

F10 is supposed to show all windows under the UI.  That's the intended function.  I'd rather it work as it's supposed to.  Best way I can describe this is ...

Let's say that Windows 8 were released and drag and drop copying was broken.  Someone posts in response, "hey! you can still copy if you type in the copy command in a command window".  Yes, yes you can.  However, that's not addressing the issue.  

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Grumpy_Warrior_01

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Make a copy of the eq2ui_mainhud_beastlord.xml file the same way as the above example.  On the third line of the file, add the text shown in yellow:

iconsize="28" Dragable="true" font="/TextStyles.NormalOutl... (line continues)

This will reduce the size of the beastlord mini-icon bar (not the version with the paw graphic). 

Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Grumpy_Warrior_01 wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Make a copy of the eq2ui_mainhud_beastlord.xml file the same way as the above example.  On the third line of the file, add the text shown in yellow:

iconsize="28" Dragable="true" font="/TextStyles.NormalOutl... (line continues)

This will reduce the size of the beastlord mini-icon bar (not the version with the paw graphic). 

Awesome!  Thanks bud!

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Dellmon

EQ2Talk.com

Terrogaunt wrote:

Terrogaunt,

It is disappointing to see a response like this.  There are many players who do not have the technical skills or the wherewithall to edit .XML files.  To me this just is more evidence that the EQII team is more removed from its playerbase.

Putting the onus on your players / customers to edit config file manually or invent workarounds is unacceptable and to me demonstrates a slap something together and slam it in a half-hearted effort.  Care-and-feeding is just as important as rolling out the next great widget.

It is FANTASTIC to see that the Auto Attack window has finally after so long been added to the default UI.  But this window does not follow the behavior attributes of other windows in the game - e.g. F10, resizable, frame, opacity to name a few.

Adding new features to the game are great and all - but when they do not follow the pattern or expected behavior that been in place for quite some time that is fustrating - or - worse break other things - SOEmote and the group window and click-to-cure.

Please consider going back and reviewing the Auto Attack window so that it has all the capabilities and functions of other windows within the default UI.  Please don't make us have to do it the hard way.

Thank you.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #14
Ferunnia

Loremaster

Rather than whining about an already overworked, undersized dev team not doing something you feel they should do, why not download a quick UI fix from eq2interface.com...Those bars have been around for years on different UI as standalone parts. They can only fix so many things, and asking them to fix something that a player has already done, and offers free of charge, is just plain moronic. I personally, would rather they fix broken content than waste time on UI fixes for people too lazy to spend the 5 minutes it takes to download the other thing I talked about.

Edit: Literally FIVE MINUTES...The hell is wrong with you people...

Edit 2: And because this topic annoyed me so much, I looked up the UI pieces...they have been available since January of '09.

Edit 3: Here's the link to a decent bar as well, for those too lazy to be bothered going to the site manually...Auto Attack Bar from DrumsUI

Edit 4: OP...seriously? Attack yourself and fix your bar then, kthx.

Ferunnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
Pengefinchess

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

why not download a quick UI fix from eq2interface.com...Those bars have been around for years on different UI as standalone parts... They can only fix so many things,.... I personally, would rather they fix broken content than waste time on UI fixes for people too lazy to spend the 5 minutes it takes to download the other thing I talked about...

Edit: Literally FIVE MINUTES...The hell is wrong with you people...

+1 Dell.

For someone who isnt very techy it took me 30 minutes to get the eqinterface autoattackbar working, its NOT simple and calling ppl moronic and lazy is just rude fella.

If Sony put a feature in their game i should be able to "tweak" it like i can all the other window. I can understand how some ppl take pleasure in getting "inside" the files and changing things but its not something you should have to do.

And as far as - they can only fix so many things...fixing broken content - i agree with you, i hope they start soon SMILEY

Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #16
Ferunnia

Loremaster

Moronic and lazy obviously didn't apply to you, since you bothered to take the time to download the bar. Sorry it took you 30 minutes, guess I'm used to tinkering with UI stuff after all these years.

And expecting anything new that SoE puts into the game to work right is laughable to be honest. I think they do what they can with what they have, but a lot of the time they are so spread out they only get half of what they actually needed to get done finished.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Katz

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Moronic and lazy obviously didn't apply to you, since you bothered to take the time to download the bar. Sorry it took you 30 minutes, guess I'm used to tinkering with UI stuff after all these years.

And expecting anything new that SoE puts into the game to work right is laughable to be honest. I think they do what they can with what they have, but a lot of the time they are so spread out they only get half of what they actually needed to get done finished.

The rational thing to do when you are spread too thin to do many things well, is to do less things but do them well.

Acting like you have a big huge team and forcing your small team into chaos is a poor management style.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

. I personally, would rather they fix broken content 

This is broken content.  Broken content that they are offering.  

I'll put it this way:

Let's say that you buy a car and that car comes with a door.  You find out that the window in the door will not stay up so you take it back to the dealer.  They tell don't respond and it appears they have no interest in fixing it.  Instead they, and others who happen to be in the lobby, tell you about another company that can fix that door.  Sure, you can go to that other company to fix the door's window that should have been working correctly in the first place.  A window that should be fix by the company that provided it.  Should you?

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

You need to understand that for a sizeable segment of the playerbase tweaking with the UI at all is so daunting they'll never attempt it.

Thats why adding important things like click to cure and auto attack bar to the default UI were so significant.

Its a shame though they can't even keep the two things working correctly.The group window is still borked in default UI since the update, and the autoattack bar is incredibly buggy beyond the inability to resize it.  It frequently locks to the wrong auto attack and the only way I've found to fix it is to target myself, turn off auto attack, target mob, hit CA.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
Ferunnia

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

. I personally, would rather they fix broken content 

This is broken content.  Broken content that they are offering.  

I'll put it this way:

Let's say that you buy a car and that car comes with a door.  You find out that the window in the door will not stay up so you take it back to the dealer.  They tell don't respond and it appears they have no interest in fixing it.  Instead they, and others who happen to be in the lobby, tell you about another company that can fix that door.  Sure, you can go to that other company to fix the door's window that should have been working correctly in the first place.  A window that should be fix by the company that provided it.  Should you?

This is a video game, not a car...metaphors aren't helping your case here. There are so many things that should be higher on the Devs' priority list than this issue that I don't even know where to start.

Having to target yourself to see your autoattack window so that you can adjust it...it takes TWO BUTTON PRESSES...F1 and ~...grats you can move the window and adjust it. If it works then why mess with it? The truth of the matter is there's probably a 95% chance if they tweaked it, they would break it for thousands of players, just to fix the stubborness of one player to do what 4 or 5 different people on this thread have suggested in different ways.

I look at it like this. If they spend an hour on this, instead of an hour on something that actualy BREAKS content, it's an absolute waste of time, and it's selfish to insist this is an issue. Send in a bug report, move on, and hope it gets fixed...Seriously, this is something you might change once or twice a year unless you go through computers like underwear.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Ferunnia

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

You need to understand that for a sizeable segment of the playerbase tweaking with the UI at all is so daunting they'll never attempt it.

Thats why adding important things like click to cure and auto attack bar to the default UI were so significant.

Its a shame though they can't even keep the two things working correctly.The group window is still borked in default UI since the update, and the autoattack bar is incredibly buggy beyond the inability to resize it.  It frequently locks to the wrong auto attack and the only way I've found to fix it is to target myself, turn off auto attack, target mob, hit CA.

If that thing with the locking to wrong autoattack thing is happening, it's broken, and I agree it should be fixed. Never have that happen with my toons, so I can't relate. I am just annoyed that people are so insistent on not conforming that they waste time and risk potentially breaking things that aren't necessarily broken in the process with their incessant whinings.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

If that thing with the locking to wrong autoattack thing is happening, it's broken, and I agree it should be fixed. Never have that happen with my toons, so I can't relate. I am just annoyed that people are so insistent on not conforming that they waste time and risk potentially breaking things that aren't necessarily broken in the process with their incessant whinings.

It happens with literally every trash pull in Drunder raids.  Bow shot, mobs get close and I switch to melee but the auto bar hangs at 100% locked on range waiting for a ranged attack that will never come.  Drives me up the wall.  You would think /auto 1 would fix it, but it has no effect.

The only way to prevent it is not to bow shot, but that means some dps will die on incoming, so yeah, it really annoys me.

I'm still waiting to be able to resize my group window such that its not covering up 4 hotbars with its default size set to include a bunch of deadspace the window doesn't need.

These are all issues that would be handled by the client group, not the guys who'd be fixing content issues folks in this thread seem to think.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
Ferunnia

Loremaster

Ah, that explains it, don't use ranged auto ever myself. Spells ftw!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Terrogaunt

Developer

That's a strange issue with the ranged switching to melee. I tested that out and didn't have that issue before it went live. I'll give it a look and see about making that window resizable with f10.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #25
Mysstie

Loremaster

There are a lot of windows that do not appear when pressing F10 (merchant, tradeskill, guild, etc); however, since the Auto Attack bar is now a standard UI window that will more or less always be showing up during normal play, I do agree that F10 should show its placement.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
Grumpy_Warrior_01

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

There are a lot of windows that do not appear when pressing F10 (merchant, tradeskill, guild, etc); however, since the Auto Attack bar is now a standard UI window that will more or less always be showing up during normal play, I do agree that F10 should show its placement.

If that's the case then casting and breath bars should also show and be resizable on F10.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Yimway

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

That's a strange issue with the ranged switching to melee. I tested that out and didn't have that issue before it went live. I'll give it a look and see about making that window resizable with f10.

I've not been able to issolate what causes it, but it for sure happens when I pull those trash groups of 3-4 mobs in drunder.  Maybe not 100% of the time, but atleast 80%.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Grumpy_Warrior_01 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If that's the case then casting and breath bars should also show and be resizable on F10.

What they should do is make all on-screen elements show under F10 and label them as well while in that mode.  I can't begin to tell you how many other games do this very well.  Like one of the nearest competitors LOTRO.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Grumpy_Warrior_01

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

What they should do is make all on-screen elements show under F10 and label them as well while in that mode.  I can't begin to tell you how many other games do this very well.  Like one of the nearest competitors LOTRO.

I agree to a point, but imagine what your screen would look like if broker, merchant, tradeskill, zone timers, map, persona, vault, bank and guild were all shown, for example.  Windows that you open and close on demand like broker, persona, tradeskills, quests, spellbook, AA, and others, don't really need to be shown in F10. 

The way it works now, F10 shows windows that stay on the screen most or all of the time (chat, spell effects, maintained, group, target/implied, self, threat, hotbars.)  Windows that would be useful added to F10 are the ones that appear and disappear without your direct control, the ones you have to "catch" in order to change settings:  casting, breath, HO wheel, autoattack, large-text pop-up informational message, Achievement pop-up message, Beastlord Opening paw, streaming baby dragon, purple question mark info buttons, and i'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.  Adding those would be useful, but would not clutter the F10 screen IMO.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #30
Terrogaunt

Developer

Okay guys. I edited things a bit.

You can now resize the window larger and smaller and the window shows up with F10. It has a default opacity of 100% on the background and frame, but just change it in the window settings for it as you would for any other window. That should cover it.

Coming soon to an environment near you. Enjoy

EDIT: Oh, and there's a check to make sure that you have the autoattack bar enabled before it makes it show up in F10 too, so make sure that's active.