EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Battlegrounds
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Sitchen

Loremaster

Please correct me if I am missing something here.  We have one new battleground, this one new battleground is the only way to grind up the faction required to be allowed to purchase the new battleground armor.

In this battleground of pvp, you basically run on opposite sides as the other team and kil NPC's and basically " walls ". Which ever side knocks down the doors the fastest wins.  So for hours and hours, days and weeks on end, we are to basically not pvp in order to win the pvp match, this is in order to be able to buy the "new" pvp armor which in alot of ways isnt much better than the old pvp gear.

Now here is the real kicker, this new armor is basically only usable in pvp?  You mean after all the faction and token grinding against npc's and doors, I now get gear that is garbage in pve?  Ok so where exactly is the incentive to pvp again?  At the momenty I see almost no reason to battlegrounds.

I'm sorry to those that thinking battleground armor should only be for battlegrounds, but to me it looks like you are going to end up playing with yourself for the most part.  I really expected more out of all this time and revamp, very sad =/

Sitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Kaszan
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Nexus

Lord

You can use that armor to knock down more walls!

Kaszan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Sitchen

Loremaster

I mean seriously, as easy as the PQ armor is to get, why not make it ATLEAST as good as that for pve?  There is no reason not to, pointless atm.

Honestly, raid gear or any pve gear should work just fine in pvp and pvp gear should be = to raid gear WHILE in pvp only and atleast as good as medium pve gear, how hard is that to understand?   Damage to high like that ?   easy cross the board pvp damage reduction, but now there is value in the whole game, not two seperate entities who dont function at all together, the logical way, as I stated gives the game much greater depth and enjoyment.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
NardacMM

Loremaster

I agree 1000% (if that's possible.)  In my first three matches, I had no clue what was going on, so i followed the group and killed towers/walls.  I didn't even encounter a member of the opposing team.

It's bad enough that I can only use the gear in BGs, but running the new map is not even fun...

Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Trenal
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Guardians of the Light

Loremaster

To me it seems they keep dumbing the game down, while in an attempt to make it more "challanging" they are simply making everything a huge time sink by adding faction needed.

I really did enjoy the first BG's, There where fun and the gear was pretty decent. Not top raid gear decent, but pretty [Removed for Content] good for the casual type player. The game itself, is getting very repetitive and boring.

Trenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

It could have been fun if they just stuck with warfields. The annoying part is the mobs. Or hell, plain old team deathmatch or another CTF/Domination map would have been just fine. The mobs just make it terrible. I went for a whole match doing pve one time. It's really dumb.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Lethe5683

Loremaster

That isn't PvP, this is stupid PvE that just happens to have some players that can attack you in it.  Also the new armor is in most ways worse than the old armor.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Tenka
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

yeah uhhh, WT EFF is the idea here ? only 1 bg to get faction from ? i hope this was some kind of mistake.
Tenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Loco_kano

Lord

+1 on fail!

Loco_kano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
lakaxy

Lord

Yet another aspect of the game that's basically ruined.

Ya on a roll, this 'welcome back' is just getting better and better!!

lakaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Alazarz

Loremaster

Sitchen wrote:

Please correct me if I am missing something here.  We have one new battleground, this one new battleground is the only way to grind up the faction required to be allowed to purchase the new battleground armor.

In this battleground of pvp, you basically run on opposite sides as the other team and kil NPC's and basically " walls ". Which ever side knocks down the doors the fastest wins.  So for hours and hours, days and weeks on end, we are to basically not pvp in order to win the pvp match, this is in order to be able to buy the "new" pvp armor which in alot of ways isnt much better than the old pvp gear.

Now here is the real kicker, this new armor is basically only usable in pvp?  You mean after all the faction and token grinding against npc's and doors, I now get gear that is garbage in pve?  Ok so where exactly is the incentive to pvp again?  At the momenty I see almost no reason to battlegrounds.

I'm sorry to those that thinking battleground armor should only be for battlegrounds, but to me it looks like you are going to end up playing with yourself for the most part.  I really expected more out of all this time and revamp, very sad =/

Ya, they should do away with bgs. If you want pvp then go to a pvp server.

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Cratoh

Loremaster

Sitchen wrote:

Admittedly the zone might be crap - but the idea is sound. Farming of BG tokens to get pvE raid advantages and shortcuts was a massive eff up, and has finally been fixed.

Forum - 1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

Censorship - deleting parts of publications or correspondence.

"Where there is official censorship it is a sign that speech is serious"
Cratoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
NardacMM

Loremaster

Cratoh wrote:

Admittedly the zone might be crap - but the idea is sound. Farming of BG tokens to get pvE raid advantages and shortcuts was a massive eff up, and has finally been fixed.

Farming of BG tokens to get PvE gear is no different than farming PQs to get PvE gear.  In fact, I would argue that people are more engaged doing the BGs than the PQs.  Likewise, it's no different than doing mindless repeatable quests to gain Ry'Gorr, Othmir, or Thurg faction.When I was running PQs to gear up, I would afk at the RW field, come back every 2 hours, kill some giants, then AFK again.  When I was grinding BGs for gear, I'd spends hundreds of hours actually playing anticipating the next piece of gear I could buy.  I will admit that my wife prefers the former since she actually sees me, but from a SOE perspective, which one is holding my interest more in the game?

If you're going to spend 100 hours playing EQ, you should be entitled to gear that is PQ or instance quality.  I am not saying that the gear should exceed the calibre of raid gear, but it should be enough to allow you to skip PQ & low-end instance content.  Either way you've done the work.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
Sitchen

Loremaster

Cratoh wrote:

Sitchen wrote:

I'm not sure where you got this from, if you read my statement, nowhere was it mentioned that BG gear should generate RAID gear rewards, however normal to good group pve gear it should without a dout have. 

I'm not sure how anyone can possibly think doing super easy PQ's and instances a few times a day( geared 5 alts now in a week or two zz ) for gear is harder than farming BG tokens and now factions for weeks or months..

Either way, im just speaking the truth here, without BG gear being viable in PvE also, its going to fail hard and all that work will be wasted, let alone how this  effects the PvP server =/

Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Sitchen wrote:

Either way, im just speaking the truth here, without BG gear being viable in PvE also, its going to fail hard and all that work will be wasted, let alone how this  effects the PvP server =/

Any issues from this are not as bad as the issues were from having PvE raid gear be the best for PvP.  And it wouldn't really be fair to make the PvE gear crap for PvP yet keep the PvP gear decent for PvE.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Crismorn

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

Sitchen wrote:

Any issues from this are not as bad as the issues were from having PvE raid gear be the best for PvP.  And it wouldn't really be fair to make the PvE gear crap for PvP yet keep the PvP gear decent for PvE.

Except raid gear is still the very best for the majority of slots and the most important ones in both PvE and PvP/BG's

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

Sitchen wrote:

Except raid gear is still the very best for the majority of slots and the most important ones in both PvE and PvP/BG's

Only because the new armor is very mediocre and they didn't add any new jewelery or weapons.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
Crismorn

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

Crismorn wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

Sitchen wrote:

Only because the new armor is very mediocre and they didn't add any new jewelery or weapons.

The outcome is still the same raid gear is best in slot for PvP/BG's and obviously PvE content for all the major slots.

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #19
Megavolt
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Mithril

Loremaster

What really gets me is the fact that the whole PvE vs PvP gear thing should be moot because you have to do the new map which is a PvE map to get PvP gear which is useless in PvE.

Redundancy of nonsense.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
PhabiusBile

Loremaster

I'll say it once again the bonuses and armor pieces themselves should beonly useable while in BG's ( in other words there would be no reason to have restrictions to npc's and players on the gear, you remove the need to label it only when engaged in pvp combat by making it only useable in the BG areas)

Dont allow BG armor to be used on PVP or PVE servers make it only wearable in BG hub or BG arenas and appearance at any other time

Dont Give bonuses to PVP or PVE armor in BG's

Isolate the system instead of trying to incoorporate it into the others already present

PhabiusBile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
Megavolt
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Mithril

Loremaster

PhabiusBile wrote:

I'll say it once again the bonuses and armor pieces themselves should beonly useable while in BG's ( in other words there would be no reason to have restrictions to npc's and players on the gear, you remove the need to label it only when engaged in pvp combat by making it only useable in the BG areas)

Dont allow BG armor to be used on PVP or PVE servers make it only wearable in BG hub or BG arenas and appearance at any other time

Dont Give bonuses to PVP or PVE armor in BG's

Isolate the system instead of trying to incoorporate it into the others already present

people like you are why we have this rediculous gear split in the first place. die. please.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor

Loremaster

Cratoh wrote:

Sitchen wrote:

+1

I think it's a good idea the PvP gear is now PvP gear and tbh even the old BG gear wasn't really that good for PvE I don't care what anyone else says. At least it will weed out the people only going to bg's to afk, be fail, and get gear to PvE in.

I do think a new BG map that is basically PvE is nothing short of epic fail. And to make it the only zone to get faction in? [Removed for Content] is that about I boggle at that. A PvE zone to farm bg tokens? So now we go from 3 bg zones that everyone was tiring of to 1? Who's going to do the other three now if you're not getting faction for the new gear in them? Are they trying to cripple bg's? Is that the plan?   

I was waiting for GU60 and the new map to see whether or not is was even worth logging back in. I'm guessing it really isn't seeing bg's was the only thing left holding my interest.

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #23
Sprin
Guild: L U S H

General

[email protected] wrote:

What really gets me is the fact that the whole PvE vs PvP gear thing should be moot because you have to do the new map which is a PvE map to get PvP gear which is useless in PvE.

Redundancy of nonsense.

LOL exactly, if you were to take a full x4 of fully raid geared PVE players the gate would melt in about 20 seconds and the map would be over...

PVE gear gives advantages in BG's to get BG / PVP gear... SOE really thought this one through didn't they?

Sprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #24
Teleboas

Loremaster

I'm not for sure what everyone was expecting to happen with this.  This is pretty much what I figured would happen.

One producer was running the game, was really focused on Battlegrounds, and battlegrounds were actually pretty fun and kept people entertained for quite awhile.

Another producer comes in, and instead of just fixing what was broken, they came in and tried to change pretty much every aspect of it, and have now ruined it.  I mean, you knew BGs were going to take the fail backseat as soon as they delayed BGs when it was stated that they would come out with DoV, and then cut the new maps from 3, to 1.

I mean really, did you guys think that it wouldn't happen?  BGs will soon enough be Arena v2.0 at this rate.  It will just be another system in the game that no one uses.

Teleboas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #25
Splatterpunk28

Loremaster

I agree with the original poster on every point.

It only makes it worse that when you get the 'parse' at the end of the new BG it doesn't include any of the damage you did to the PvE mobs (which is the only way you can win).  So most of the people that like to 'top the parse' will do exactly what they are doing -- make you lose because they want the infamy of topping the parse.

My requests:

-Fix the parse to include PvE dmg.  And increase the reward for killing other players (the PvE vs PvP reward is grossly imbalanced).

-Increase the faction reward if you are deadset on that being the only BG that will reward it (forcing people to buy DoV?).

-The BG hub is a disaster, make voice chat work in it -- and stop making the group disband if members leave the hub (at least if they are all on the same server).  It would be nice if you could choose to return to your server than having to zone back into hub every time.

As it stands, BGs are dying quick.

Splatterpunk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #26
Vlahkmaak
Server: Venekor
Guild: Opus Dei

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

You can use that armor to knock down more walls!

But your PQ gear will do it faster/better.

Vlahkmaak 92 Troll Guardian Nagafen

Dwyrm 92 Dwarf Paladin Nagafen

Shoofaug 92 Iksar bruiser Nagafen

Vlah 92 Troll Inqy Nagafen

Vlahk 50 SK Nagafen

Glavlahnus 92 Woodelf Ranger, betrayed and back again

Cructik 92 TROLL BL Nagafen
Vlahkmaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #27
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Splatterpunk28 wrote:

I agree with the original poster on every point.

It only makes it worse that when you get the 'parse' at the end of the new BG it doesn't include any of the damage you did to the PvE mobs (which is the only way you can win).  So most of the people that like to 'top the parse' will do exactly what they are doing -- make you lose because they want the infamy of topping the parse.

My requests:

-Fix the parse to include PvE dmg.  And increase the reward for killing other players (the PvE vs PvP reward is grossly imbalanced).

-Increase the faction reward if you are deadset on that being the only BG that will reward it (forcing people to buy DoV?).

-The BG hub is a disaster, make voice chat work in it -- and stop making the group disband if members leave the hub (at least if they are all on the same server).  It would be nice if you could choose to return to your server than having to zone back into hub every time.

As it stands, BGs are dying quick.

I was wondering why I was doing so badly on the end game "parse" when I was attacking the mobs mostly.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #28
Shuai

Loremaster

People too tired of getting owned in pvp because they don't/can't kill pve content. GU60 95% good. Couple mistakes, and that 5% is what makes me not find much entertainment in the game at the moment.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
NardacMM

Loremaster

Splatterpunk28 wrote:

My requests:

I disagree with this point.  When attacking the wall, you could do 10,000,000 damage in a few minutes, whereas in an entire match, you may only do 350k damage overall.  Even if you were to bump my PvP up to 750k for the match, it would still put you at the bottom of the list versus those who attacked two or three NPCs and took a few swings at the wall. 

So who should finish first in the standings? Somebody who did 750k PvP or somebody who killed one giant, three wolves, and auto-attacked the gate for a few minutes?

When somebody ends up with 20 kills and zero damage, we know they contributed.. Sort by kills instead of damage.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #30
Lethe5683

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Splatterpunk28 wrote:

My requests:

I disagree with this point.  When attacking the wall, you could do 10,000,000 damage in a few minutes, whereas in an entire match, you may only do 350k damage overall.  Even if you were to bump my PvP up to 750k for the match, it would still put you at the bottom of the list versus those who attacked two or three NPCs and took a few swings at the wall. 

So who should finish first in the standings? Somebody who did 750k PvP or somebody who killed one giant, three wolves, and auto-attacked the gate for a few minutes?

When somebody ends up with 20 kills and zero damage, we know they contributed.. Sort by kills instead of damage.

The parse isn't the problem; the problem is the presence of PvE mobs in a PvP zone.