EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

So I was playing Champions Online last night after being gone for months while I moved and upgraded my computer.  I noticed that they now have an alert system that allows players of ANY level go be automatically grouped together to do daily, random events (not regular zones).  So I tried it out and was surprised at how fun it was.  Everyone was set to the max level (and I was doing it at level 8 for the event and the pure thrill of jumping in with other players to complete a goal (in that case stopping robbers) was wonderful.

So I started thinking about EQ2... why don't we have something similar?  It's one thing to have a Dungeon Maker that you can join with friends and another to do a Dungeon Finder you can do with friends but random events where everyone is made the same level?  It's not the same type of gameplay and I have to wonder if it would add that extra bit of excitement to the game that is currently missing.

Another thought was that they had an in-game system setup where players could sell their store currency to other players for in-game currency.  Seems like a very safe, efficient setup that would reduce the customer service headache that we have now from scammers while allowing, potentially, for the staff to add a platinum fee on top to help reduce in-game platinum levels; albeit barely.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
LordPazuzu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,157
Default

Could be interesting applied to PQ battles.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Regolas

Loremaster
Regolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 603
Default

The thing I like about everquest, is that at high levels we're supposed to be heroes. That's kinda why I think almost all gear after level 80 is legendary or better (if you ignore the obvious f2p money maker). They are heroic adventures, told in taverns across Norrath by drunk civilians. It's easy to forget this immersion when there's hundreds of other player characters just like you and it's relatively easy to level, but imagine you were just starting the game and bumped into a level 92 player around a city. You'd be in awe of their stature. Allowing lowbies into groups with higher levels removes that immersion of being a kickass hero who can wander most of Norrath without anyone starting on him/her, cus they know they'll lose. We now kinda have it for dungeon maker but I wouldn't like to see it everywhere. The game then becomes more like a hack and slash first person shooter than an RPG where you develop your character.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

Regolas wrote:

The thing I like about everquest, is that at high levels we're supposed to be heroes. That's kinda why I think almost all gear after level 80 is legendary or better (if you ignore the obvious f2p money maker). They are heroic adventures, told in taverns across Norrath by drunk civilians. It's easy to forget this immersion when there's hundreds of other player characters just like you and it's relatively easy to level, but imagine you were just starting the game and bumped into a level 92 player around a city. You'd be in awe of their stature. Allowing lowbies into groups with higher levels removes that immersion of being a kickass hero who can wander most of Norrath without anyone starting on him/her, cus they know they'll lose. We now kinda have it for dungeon maker but I wouldn't like to see it everywhere. The game then becomes more like a hack and slash first person shooter than an RPG where you develop your character.

Who said anything about removing the other ways to level or group?  Certainly not I and certainly not how they did it in Champions Online.  You still would have traditional raiding, dungeon finder, dungeon maker, and regular groups.  You'd still have all the regular instances and dungeons and quests and levels.  This is a bonus feature.  I would suggest you drop into Champions Online once to see what I'm talking about.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Regolas

Loremaster
Regolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 603
Default

I never said things would be removed. But having the ability to group with any level IMHO ruins the idea of heroic adventures. It's just my opinion
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

Regolas wrote:

I never said things would be removed. But having the ability to group with any level IMHO ruins the idea of heroic adventures. It's just my opinion

They are all the same level.  You could be level 2 and when you enter the alert you instantly become level 30 (max level) for the duration of the alert.  When you return back to the main game you return to your original level.

A pretty good video of how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ua0...feature=related

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Regolas

Loremaster
Regolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 603
Default

I totally understand how it works. I just don't like it. It makes the game more like a FPS where you log in and you’re all the same. I like my RPGs to be immersive. I'm in a world. My character is a hero of Norrath. It took time to get that way, and I don't like the idea that joe blogs can log on for the first time and be exactly the same as me for these encounters. Dungeon maker has kind of already done it though, but I think it spoils the immersion of the game.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

Regolas wrote:

I totally understand how it works. I just don't like it. It makes the game more like a FPS where you log in and you’re all the same. I like my RPGs to be immersive. I'm in a world. My character is a hero of Norrath. It took time to get that way, and I don't like the idea that joe blogs can log on for the first time and be exactly the same as me for these encounters. Dungeon maker has kind of already done it though, but I think it spoils the immersion of the game.

I can understand your feeling however consider this thought:

With these alerts players of all levels and abilities can join together in a group to participate in unique daily and seasonal events.  Events that happen in unique areas with their own cutscenes, etc.  Players could even pick to defend their "side".  Freeport oriented players could do events against Qeynos invaders, orc invaders, etc.  Over time they could even obtain a unique title such as 'Admired Hero of Freeport' if they obtain enough faction this way and be able to have a complete outfit befitting such a title that could ONLY be obtained by doing the events.

One of the earliest ideas of the game I wish they hadn't abandoned was the idea of Freeport vs Qeynos.  There was so much potential there that disappeared early after beta.  It can be brought back, in a way, through this.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.