EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #31
Ziplock9k

Loremaster

I was killing a mob, but then the server took an arrow to the knee..

Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #32
Weaf
Server: The Bazaar

Loremaster

Would have been better if there was some thought behind the number of accounts on the Freeport server vs the hardware specifications, when they merged servers. 

Weaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
Detor

Loremaster

Chronus1 wrote:

2 crashes in 2 days. Go go too many people on 1 server that's not equipped for it.

Unfortunately true.  Clearly the hardware just can't handle the current load.  They need to allow free transfers just like they did for each of the previous server mergers.  That'd act as a pressure relief valve, and perhaps help mitigate future crashes. 

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
Weaf

Loremaster

Currently seems to me there are a couple resolutions here.  Upgrade hardware or Level out the number of accounts per server.  Or upgrade from hampster to gerbil !!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Nashbry

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

Would have been better if there was some thought behind the number of accounts on the Freeport server vs the hardware specifications, when they merged servers. 

Maybe I am delusional but I believe the reasoning behind merging our servers were this:

1. Bazaar was pretty much considered a "dead" server (my reasoning for this statement is from interactions with some players who had characters on Bazaar communicating this),

2. Bazaar was on older hardware - Freeport is on newer hardware that can support heavier loads (well until now apparently).

3. Bazaar and Freeport shared a common label from the EQ2 purists out there that we were both "tainted" servers from having access to services that would allow some people to "pay to win"--Why not stick the outcasts with the outcasts and see if they bond.  It saves them from having to be accused of "lying" or whatever else players could throw at them by sticking them on a "pure" server.

4. I don't think they anticipated how well the Bazaar folks would take to their new home and I believe thay have returned "en masse" thus creating the un-anticipated stress on the server.

Again these are just guesses but it is what I think/feel/believe has hapened.

Nashbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #36
Raffir

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Chronus1 wrote:

2 crashes in 2 days. Go go too many people on 1 server that's not equipped for it.

Unfortunately true.  Clearly the hardware just can't handle the current load.  They need to allow free transfers just like they did for each of the previous server mergers.  That'd act as a pressure relief valve, and perhaps help mitigate future crashes. 

Still tryin for that free transfer token, huh?

No way for anyone to know if the problems are load related or not.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #37
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Yeah could be any number of reasons. The Bazaar was the lowest pop server I think so I doubt merging with them would cause issues.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #38
IvyBlackrose

Lord

how quickly you all forget the debacle of erollisi days last february, as i recal the server (Freeport) crashed and crashed and crashed over and over because of the load, it was so bad they actually shut off the erollisi event 24 hours early on Freeport, so no you cant blame this entirely on the Bazaar
Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #39
Nashbry

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

Detor wrote:

Chronus1 wrote:

Raf

True, I guess someone could have tripped over a power cord, a breaker could have tripped, any number of things really...it did happen quite suddenly and without warning---no lag beforehand, at least not in my case....

Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #40
Nashbry

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

how quickly you all forget the debacle of erollisi days last february, as i recal the server (Freeport) crashed and crashed and crashed over and over because of the load, it was so bad they actually shut off the erollisi event 24 hours early on Freeport, so no you cant blame this entirely on the Bazaar

Wasn't trying to place blame on the Bazaar...just trying to reason things out, personally I like having the Bazaar folks around.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
Detor

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

Detor wrote:

Chronus1 wrote:

Raf

So, let's see, Freeport players say Freeport wasn't crashing.  The Bazaar players know The Bazaar wasn't crashing like this.  Merger happens - boom, crash, crash, crash on Monday, crash on Wednesday, crash each time the server population meter shows a full bar.  That isn't load related?  You can say we don't know' that it's load based but all evidence certainly points that direction.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #42
Tinkie727

Guardian

well it doesnt help that Freeport was the only F2P server so many players from other servers came to freeport.. and they have become comfortable and have decided to transfer characters now that transfering is back up.. so the load  has become more and more.. but hey im no expert so I dont have a clue as to why it crashed.. maybe they shut it down because they think we need a break hehe... Hope everyone has a happy New Years!

Tinkie727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #43
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Servers dropped where I work without warning when there was a fire in one of the Data Centres :p

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #44
Tinkie727

Guardian

back up!

Tinkie727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #45
Raffir

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Raffir wrote:

Detor wrote:

Chronus1 wrote:

Raf

So, let's see, Freeport players say Freeport wasn't crashing.  The Bazaar players know The Bazaar wasn't crashing like this.  Merger happens - boom, crash, crash, crash on Monday, crash on Wednesday, crash each time the server population meter shows a full bar.  That isn't load related?  You can say we don't know' that it's load based but all evidence certainly points that direction.

Bah...Freeport always crashes during Frostfell.  Its a tradition. LOL

Raf

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #46
Tayne

Loremaster

Sorry guys, my fault.

Since I had to work today, SOE decided it wasn't fair the rest of you could stay home and play. SMILEY

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Tayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #47
Detor

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

Raf

Well, even if they were to come out and say definitively that it absolutely would be crashing like this even if the server wasn't as (over?)loaded as it is right now; that would still be a reason for people to want to push to be allowed transfers off as is the custom with past server mergers.  Afterall, who wants to be on a server that can't stay up, no matter the reason it keeps crashing?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #48
Raffir

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Raffir wrote:

Raf

Well, even if they were to come out and say definitively that it absolutely would be crashing like this even if the server wasn't as (over?)loaded as it is right now; that would still be a reason for people to want to push to be allowed transfers off as is the custom with past server mergers.  Afterall, who wants to be on a server that can't stay up, no matter the reason it keeps crashing?

You're allowed to transfer any time you want.  It just costs 24.50 and a recurring sub for 31 concurrent days.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #49
Tayne

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Afterall, who wants to be on a server that can't stay up, no matter the reason it keeps crashing?

I think I dated him.

(I don't mean Detor) :p

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Tayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #50
Detor

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

Detor wrote:

Raffir wrote:

Raf

You're allowed to transfer any time you want.  It just costs 24.50 and a recurring sub for 31 concurrent days.

Yeah, that sounds fair.  Person A, B, C, D, etc - Free for you!  Person E - $25 for you, and then I want you to pay me $30 to have the priviledge of me allowing you to pay me $25.  Guess they just don't care as much about taking care of people on The Bazaar/Freeport/Vox/Nagafen, or they'd give them the same treatment previous server mergers received.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #51
Meditatious
Server: Kithicor

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Because SOE wants to keep the "pay to win" PvE players together.  We already had a huge number of Baz characters on Freeport, and we used to have a bit of "pay to win" going on in the SC store.

Meditatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #52
Hamervelder

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Chronus1 wrote:

If the results of previous free transfers are any indication, then no another transfer would not help, in my opinion.  People seem to typically move from less-populated servers to more-populated servers.  AB always seemed to suffer the worst from a newly-burgeoning population when people could transfer around freely.  Now, if SOE prohibited people from moving to Freeport, then perhaps that would help.

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #53
tystrum

Loremaster

Aaaaaaand we're down again SMILEY

tystrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #54
Tegra

Loremaster

Hopefully this didn't mess up the quest I was on.  Got the update to spawn the final battle and the server crashed.  Its going to suck to have to do all the quest over again...

Tegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #55
Shyne

Lord

2 in 1 day!!! Really?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
Nashbry

Loremaster

tystrum wrote:

Aaaaaaand we're down again

My fault, was just telling guildies how we went down earlier today...a minute later....bam...we are down, next time I will keep my mouth shut 

Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #57
Mohee

Lord

Just goes to show where the game is headed. One day the servers will go down and never come back up 

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #58
Drowsy

Loremaster

2nd time today freeport goes SPLAT!  I'm getting sick of this crashing folks. What is the issue behind this?  This seems to be beacuse of the merger.  Why merg anything with the high pop server?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #59
Velter

Lord

Drowsy wrote:

2nd time today freeport goes SPLAT!  I'm getting sick of this crashing folks. What is the issue behind this?  This seems to be beacuse of the merger.  Why merg anything with the high pop server?

Soe needs to stop being cheap and offer all the bazaar players free transfer tokens so they can get off freeport if they wish to

Velter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #60
Weaf

Loremaster

Wow twice in one day...  If this happened in most it companies, there would be heads rolling.  Amazon, Ebay, and others, would they accept such network instability?  SMILEY