EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #61
Nijia
Server: Vox

Loremaster

Besides the funny thing .. I don't know if some of you anti-F2P have ever considered...

No one cares about your mount and how hard you worked for it, except for you. I know... shocking.

You get it, and you use it... because you like how it looks and it is enjoyable for you, that is the sole point of it all.

You may get some "oohs" and "aahs" if it looks particularly cool or you managed to tell the tale of how hard it was to get it.

And the next minute, your admirers have completely forgotten about your uber mount because guess what: they're busy having FUN and, if that helps put things in perspective: another 1+ billion Chinese also really don't give a hairy Ratonga's bottom about how cool you are or where you got your mount from.

You build your own character, challenge yourself to explore and defeat dungeons, and group up in PUGs or guilds to see the end content... that's what it is about. Whatever gear you have on the only thing people care about is you're  meeting the min requirements for the current zone, and you can actually play your character.

Nijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #62
agnott

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Rijacki wrote:

thesiren wrote:

I also agree that epics are an accomplishment and mounts...are just a way to get around so everyone doesn't get nearly as frustrated with all the mundane traveling required in matured AAA MMORPG titles of the sheer size and scope of EQ2.  I do remember my days on Lavastorm where the guild pushed to hit levels that would afford us all discounts on mounts, but today, pushing for a guild hall with a young, small guild is more exciting-- and less aggravating now that everyone has mounts of great speed.  Yo comprendo on the sense of achievement thing-- but they can find other ways to do it that don't involve mindless, repetitive, mundane travel that eats up all my free time.  I'm a single Mom with two kids and two jobs:  I just don't need that. 

Mounts were just an example of something that was an accomplishment requiring some in-game effot and now isn't. Housing is another. Getting items in-game via loot or questing because they had a "cool" appearance. And so on.

Once the game goes fully F2P, what accomplishments will be left? Nothing you can display to others (unless they look at your achievements, maybe) because anything that 'shows' has a better appearance item in the cash shop.

• Before: "Oh wow, where did you get that?" "I had to do thus and so quest or fight this and that major target. It took me weeks to be able to get it."
  • Now: "Oh wow, where did you get that?" "It's 750SC in the cash shop, it was added new yesterday."

Sure, you could argue the 'accomplishment' in the acquisition is shifted to RL, you have to get the RL money to get the SC. It takes away a lot of the "the game is another world where the RL world doesn't hold sway and you can be something different" aspect of why a lot of people play games.

You still have a huge amount of content in the game.  You still have your prior accomplishments in the game.  And you are getting new accomplishments as time goes on.  Not all the best looking items are in the SC shop.  On the furniture side I would agree and that part is annoying.  However, this is a business and they need to make money.  A business is not a charity.

The sub model was, is and will continue to be a 1000% profitable way to run an MMO. Recent and future launches are proof of that.  There is a difference between a corporation that is making money and one that is fleecing it's players to make up for a declining player base.

There is only 1 f2p server here, and it has an identity crisis.  It's a f2p sever that keeps asking you for a sub. It can't let go.

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #63
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Besides the funny thing .. I don't know if some of you anti-F2P have ever considered...

No one cares about your mount and how hard you worked for it, except for you. I know... shocking.

You get it, and you use it... because you like how it looks and it is enjoyable for you, that is the sole point of it all.

You may get some "oohs" and "aahs" if it looks particularly cool or you managed to tell the tale of how hard it was to get it.

And the next minute, your admirers have completely forgotten about your uber mount because guess what: they're busy having FUN and, if that helps put things in perspective: another 1+ billion Chinese also really don't give a hairy Ratonga's bottom about how cool you are or where you got your mount from.

You build your own character, challenge yourself to explore and defeat dungeons, and group up in PUGs or guilds to see the end content... that's what it is about. Whatever gear you have on the only thing people care about is you're  meeting the min requirements for the current zone, and you can actually play your character.

Your sig indicates you joined in 2009. Is that accurate? If so, you came into the game about 4 years too late to comment on what people used to think about mounts. Mounts used to be rare. Pretty much, if you weren't a crusader, (SKs and Pallys both qualify for those of you who don't know that you didn't pick one class to start out with...bards and druids could offer runspeed that mattered back in those days too,) you didn't have a mount unless you had a guild and disposable income.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #64
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

agnott wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Rijacki wrote:

thesiren wrote:

I also agree that epics are an accomplishment and mounts...are just a way to get around so everyone doesn't get nearly as frustrated with all the mundane traveling required in matured AAA MMORPG titles of the sheer size and scope of EQ2.  I do remember my days on Lavastorm where the guild pushed to hit levels that would afford us all discounts on mounts, but today, pushing for a guild hall with a young, small guild is more exciting-- and less aggravating now that everyone has mounts of great speed.  Yo comprendo on the sense of achievement thing-- but they can find other ways to do it that don't involve mindless, repetitive, mundane travel that eats up all my free time.  I'm a single Mom with two kids and two jobs:  I just don't need that. 

Mounts were just an example of something that was an accomplishment requiring some in-game effot and now isn't. Housing is another. Getting items in-game via loot or questing because they had a "cool" appearance. And so on.

Once the game goes fully F2P, what accomplishments will be left? Nothing you can display to others (unless they look at your achievements, maybe) because anything that 'shows' has a better appearance item in the cash shop.

• Before: "Oh wow, where did you get that?" "I had to do thus and so quest or fight this and that major target. It took me weeks to be able to get it."
  • Now: "Oh wow, where did you get that?" "It's 750SC in the cash shop, it was added new yesterday."

Sure, you could argue the 'accomplishment' in the acquisition is shifted to RL, you have to get the RL money to get the SC. It takes away a lot of the "the game is another world where the RL world doesn't hold sway and you can be something different" aspect of why a lot of people play games.

You still have a huge amount of content in the game.  You still have your prior accomplishments in the game.  And you are getting new accomplishments as time goes on.  Not all the best looking items are in the SC shop.  On the furniture side I would agree and that part is annoying.  However, this is a business and they need to make money.  A business is not a charity.

The sub model was, is and will continue to be a 1000% profitable way to run an MMO. Recent and future launches are proof of that.  There is a difference between a corporation that is making money and one that is fleecing it's players to make up for a declining player base.

There is only 1 f2p server here, and it has an identity crisis.  It's a f2p sever that keeps asking you for a sub. It can't let go.

According to Smedley, 40% of those leaving this game cite the subscription.  The subscription is also a known barrier to new players.  Turbine, Funcom, and SOE have all shown that you can get a massive increase in players after going F2P.  They have also all mentioned that their profits increased dramatically.  Turbine specifically said it tripled.

Will subscriptions still exist?  Yes, at least as a hybrid model.  Even Blizzard is slowly changing over.  Just last year they were bringing up the possibility of F2P for WoW.  This year they introduced a re-vamped unlimited trial that they call... F2P.  Next they introduced Diablo 3 which will have a robust RMT marketplace.  WoW, as everyone already knows, sells speciality items such as mounts in their version of a cash shop.

Bioware, the company behind SWTOR, has stated in a recent interview they are fans of the F2P model but, at the moment, SWTOR will be P2P only.

Trion has been struggling to keep players after initially bursting on the scene.

The other AAA P2P MMOs?  All F2P now.  Or more accurately, they aren't F2P as they have gone the hybrid model by keeping a subscription option.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #65
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Your sig indicates you joined in 2009. Is that accurate? If so, you came into the game about 4 years too late to comment on what people used to think about mounts. Mounts used to be rare. Pretty much, if you weren't a crusader, (SKs and Pallys both qualify for those of you who don't know that you didn't pick one class to start out with...bards and druids could offer runspeed that mattered back in those days too,) you didn't have a mount unless you had a guild and disposable income.

Man. I remember working so hard to get GL 30 and enough personal status to get the carpet. You saw one of those zipping around and knew people had worked their butts off to get one. Fastest mount in the game actually took hard work in the game...go figure.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #66
Lempo

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers. John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment

SJ didn't say it Smedley did you do not even have that right, there it is that is the quote, black and white a 100% about face reversal of what he said. In my post I said that I could accept that it changed due to market demands, but they didn't have to sell out to the point of putting ridiculous squirrel mounts in the game that violate the lore. You don't have any desire to have a discussion on the subject you are just hell-bent on trying to one up someone and prove them wrong and you are stumbling all over yourself ITT trying to do so. SJ and Smedley can do whatever the hell they want with the game I just wish one of them had a desire to FIX THINGS THAT ARE BROKEN BEFORE THEY CONTINUE ON WITH MORE UPDATES WHILE ALLOWING RIDCULOUS BUGS LIKE THE AA MIRROR STILL NOT WORKING AFTER GU61 WHICH SHOULD NEVER EVEN MADE IT TO THE TEST SERVER AS A BUG MUCH LESS LIVE. If only ONE of them had a desire to do so then maybe.

I have not even saw a red name ACKNOWLEDGE that the AA mirrors are broken since GU61, it isn't on the (worthless) TKI page, it has not gotten a reply in any thread I have saw it mentioned in, it is like if they don't acknoledge it it isn't there or something. idk.

Is Extended currently considered a seperate service with its own forum?  Yes or no.

Are RMT transactions being allowed on the regualr servers?

I won't expect you to answer because you seem to be just trolling around in here you don't answer or respond to what is in the thread you twist it to suit your own agenda.

To answer your question Extended is not WHOLLY its own service while it has it's own forum it is allowed to siphon players from live by allowing the RMT sale of a character trasnfer token on the Everquest2 page which until EQ2X was for EQ2 not both but the slant the page give intentionally steers players towards EQ2X and away from EQ2. lol. You are so totally failing in this thread.

So NO EXTENDED IS NOT A SEPERATE SERVICE it may have it's own forum but it is ANYTHING BUT SEPERATE and you know it.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #67
agnott

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

If you truly believe that nobody really cares about the stuff you have and it's just not that important. Then you have to ask yourself one fundamental question.

Why pay for it.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #68
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

Please keep this discussion on topic without the personal jabs.  

Accusing Others of Trolling - Calling someone a troll or accusing them of trolling is a form of trolling in and of itself. If you feel someone is behaving in a manner not consistent with these rules, please use the "Report this post to a Moderator" function on the forums. Do not respond to or quote the person exhibiting these behaviors as this is often the very response the person misbehaving was looking for.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #69
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If you mean his forum handle join date it probably is 2009.  That doesn't equate to his joining either this game or any other SOE game.  Mine says 2010 but I joined back in the EQ1 days.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #70
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers. John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment

SJ didn't say it Smedley did you do not even have that right, there it is that is the quote, black and white a 100% about face reversal of what he said. In my post I said that I could accept that it changed due to market demands, but they didn't have to sell out to the point of putting ridiculous squirrel mounts in the game that violate the lore. You don't have any desire to have a discussion on the subject you are just hell-bent on trying to one up someone and prove them wrong and you are stumbling all over yourself ITT trying to do so. SJ and Smedley can do whatever the hell they want with the game I just wish one of them had a desire to FIX THINGS THAT ARE BROKEN BEFORE THEY CONTINUE ON WITH MORE UPDATES WHILE ALLOWING RIDCULOUS BUGS LIKE THE AA MIRROR STILL NOT WORKING AFTER GU61 WHICH SHOULD NEVER EVEN MADE IT TO THE TEST SERVER AS A BUG MUCH LESS LIVE. If only ONE of them had a desire to do so then maybe.

I have not even saw a red name ACKNOWLEDGE that the AA mirrors are broken since GU61, it isn't on the (worthless) TKI page, it has not gotten a reply in any thread I have saw it mentioned in, it is like if they don't acknoledge it it isn't there or something. idk.

Is Extended currently considered a seperate service with its own forum?  Yes or no.

I won't expect you to answer because you seem to be just trolling around in here you don't answer or respond to what is in the thread you twist it to suit your own agenda.

To answer your question Extended is not WHOLLY its own service while it has it's own forum it is allowed to siphon players from live by allowing the RMT sale of a character trasnfer token on the Everquest2 page which until EQ2X was for EQ2 not both but the slant the page give intentionally steers players towards EQ2X and away from EQ2. lol. You are so totally failing in this thread.

So NO EXTENDED IS NOT A SEPERATE SERVICE it may have it's own forum but it is ANYTHING BUT SEPERATE and you know it.

I'll let Smokejumper show where you got it wrong.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #71
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

agnott wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If you truly believe that nobody really cares about the stuff you have and it's just not that important. Then you have to ask yourself one fundamental question.

Why pay for it.

Exactly!  Why do we have to pay for any expansion?  Isn't that pay-to-win?  Isn't that an unfair advantage to those already paying a subscription?

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #72
Onorem

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Onorem wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If you mean his forum handle join date it probably is 2009.  That doesn't equate to his joining either this game or any other SOE game.  Mine says 2010 but I joined back in the EQ1 days.

I did mean forum handle or whatever that is over on the left...and before going any further, I asked about whether or not it was accurate because I know that people have multiple accounts and the forums 'inhale violently' and whatever. I couldn't care less about eq1 days. This isn't eq1.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #73
agnott

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Dead,

Don't you think that SJ and Smedley are going to have a completly biased mind set.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #74
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

agnott wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Dead,

Don't you think that SJ and Smedley are going to have a completly biased mind set.

Ever take business classes?  Businessmen tend to be the most biased men you can find.  Extreme A personalities that focus in on one thing:  results.  As long as those results lead to money.  They adapt to the prevailing winds of the moment.

The point here was that they were stating that there was a "promise" to not make EQ2 into F2P.  It wasn't.  A new service, according to Smokejumper, was created.  Secondly, the "promise" doesn't exist.  Why?  Read further in that thread and you'll find this gem:

"I'm afraid we just have to leave them separate at this point."

The key words in that sentece are "at this point".  Any reasonable person would know that it means it can change at any time in the future.  

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #75
Onorem

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

agnott wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Why pay for it.

Exactly!  Why do we have to pay for any expansion?  Isn't that pay-to-win?  Isn't that an unfair advantage to those already paying a subscription?

That's not pay-to-win. That's pay for new content. You still need to play to win, and hopefully (for me) you can't use any cash shop items to make it easier.  Expansions are necessary for video game companies that are hoping to have a product that lasts for a decade...and if you want to get into a debate about whether or not expansions qualify as being rmt....it doesn't belong in general gameplay discussion.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #76
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

agnott wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Why pay for it.

That's not pay-to-win. That's pay for new content. You still need to play to win, and hopefully (for me) you can't use any cash shop items to make it easier.  Expansions are necessary for video game companies that are hoping to have a product that lasts for a decade...and if you want to get into a debate about whether or not expansions qualify as being rmt....it doesn't belong in general gameplay discussion.

Are you sure about that?  So without DoV you can still raid right?  What about end-game PvP?  Do you think those without DoV would last long?  Do you believe flying mounts are not an advantage?  What about those extra AA?  You are still paying for content to remain competitive; much more so than what's currently on Extended.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #77
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Onorem wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Rick777 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

thesiren wrote:

I'm a 7-year vet.  Not everyone is, though, and I like newbies in my guilds and on the chats to be excited to hang around EQ2.

Sorry, just my two copper.  Maybe they could make a few difficult-to-obtain quested mounts go a bit faster or something, so as to appease the cranky vets, I don't know.  I understand that SOE probably just did the across-the-boards thing because, like usual, they're overworked and understaffed as it is, but still, it does have its benefits.

I'm working on 7 years myself.

I think they really should have a mount that is 25% faster that is level 90 and must be quested for. I really disagree with the term 'appease' here I would prefer to call it a reward, appeasing is what giving the newbies the fast mounts is, appeasing is removing any sense of danger travelling across overland zones, I mean really where does it end. I want people in the game too I want the game to be healthy but I also enjoyed the difficulty of the content as it was when I did it Nek forest is like disneyland now, just rainy and foggy.

Yes there are benefits to it, but it does mess with the core reward system that one poster mentioned, it makes the game more ho hum nothing to shoot for except further raid progression.

I'd be just happy with ANY mounts for the non SC crowd.  I'd LOVE to quest or kill for a mount, especially a flying mount.

Even before the SC store there were roughly 100 different mounts in the game that you could obtain.  That hasn't changed.

I assume that "roughly" is meant to mean that it was nowhere near that number and you couldn't be bothered to look into it as you white knight for all things eq2x. What I see with an admittedly quick search comes up with nowhere near that number.

In any case...SOE decided to eliminate most of mount progression, so it's mostly down to appearance now. There's several quests for horses. There's a quest for leapers. There's a quest for gliders (but they 'violently inhale' so who cares?) There's a quest for flyers. Now that they've introduced the different types, maybe they could give people options outside of the cash shop for those that want options when it comes to appearance. (It's too late to hope that they'd actually reconsider the generic across the board changes.)

Or you could look it up yourself.  Yes, I was off but not by much.  Folks are acting as if there were twenty or so mounts.  Guess what?  There was a lot more than that.

As for "white knight" you might want to see some of my posts on Extended.  Even Smokejumper will tell you I'm very blunt.  Siren can tell you this, Unos can tell you this, Elomort can tell you this, Amnerys can tell you this.  

Quested Mounts section: Carpet and Wargs I believe are the only pre-SC store.

Shard Mounts: Yep, both the spellbear and warbear were available about a month prior.

Collection Mounts: Nope.

Looted Mounts: Looks like all 14 qualify.

Tinkered: 2 out of 3.

LoN: Looks like about the first 10 make it. (and it's a stretch to call them in game)

Specialty Mounts: Bear? Yes. Rest? No.

Purchased: All 7.

Faction Purchased: Another 15.

Station Cash: Clearly none.

That's not roughly 100 different mounts.

add Rime Icemare to quested

Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #78
Tigress

Loremaster

Ruut Li wrote:

Rijacki wrote:

Nothing like a good goal to work towards and have a feeling of accomplishment when you get there, it doesn't have to be a mount it can be anything but to not have a best item of a certain type in the game where it can be earned in whatever way and all mounts equal in speed blows.

At launch, it took hours to earn a single gold. It took days to earn enough gold to even think about buying a house in the city or a mount, getting even one plat could take weeks or at least several days. The 'discount' you got on the coin price by being in a guild and paying with status (which was just as hard, if not harder to earn) actually meant something. You had to scrimp and save to get even the cheapest mount. It was an accomplishment. Now, yeah, it's nothing, jsut something you buy with your over abundance of plat.

I still remember the first time I walked by the houses by SQ mage tower, next to QH gate, 6 years ago. Me and my hubby were wondering if we would ever live in such a house, yea maybe in a very distant future...And eventually we ended up sharing that house, and we had to make sure we had the rent money for it. Its a game in the game that has been lost now. This goes for many other "little" things in the game, things that made EQ2 an epic adventure. They are extinct, rendering the core game more shallow.

i think many of you are forgetting what it is like to be a newbie.  for me, it was abt a year and a half so i still remember it.  buying a big house for a newbie now is the same as it was for you.  a dream of, "someday" or "wow, how could i ever afford that?!"  and then telling yourself that it doesnt matter bc you cannot possibly imagine why you would need something bigger than the starter house.  the game is STILL that way.  if you don't believe me, go ahead and make a new character on a seperate server. run the game as you did when you first started playing.  (i.e., no power leveling, no hand outs, no high level character helping your newbie, etc.)

getting a mount today is certainly a lot easier than it was before sentinel's fate.  but, it wasn't impossible to get one before SF.  i do remember, though, looking at the cheapest mount that was over a plat and wondeirng when (or if) i could afford one. 

plat is only rolling if you have a level 90 that can feed plat to your army of alts.  even then, its not rolling as much for ppl who are not raiders.

the game has not changed (in regards to being a broke newbie).  your playstyle has.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #79
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Tigress wrote:

Ruut Li wrote:

Rijacki wrote:

Nothing like a good goal to work towards and have a feeling of accomplishment when you get there, it doesn't have to be a mount it can be anything but to not have a best item of a certain type in the game where it can be earned in whatever way and all mounts equal in speed blows.

At launch, it took hours to earn a single gold. It took days to earn enough gold to even think about buying a house in the city or a mount, getting even one plat could take weeks or at least several days. The 'discount' you got on the coin price by being in a guild and paying with status (which was just as hard, if not harder to earn) actually meant something. You had to scrimp and save to get even the cheapest mount. It was an accomplishment. Now, yeah, it's nothing, jsut something you buy with your over abundance of plat.

I still remember the first time I walked by the houses by SQ mage tower, next to QH gate, 6 years ago. Me and my hubby were wondering if we would ever live in such a house, yea maybe in a very distant future...And eventually we ended up sharing that house, and we had to make sure we had the rent money for it. Its a game in the game that has been lost now. This goes for many other "little" things in the game, things that made EQ2 an epic adventure. They are extinct, rendering the core game more shallow.

i think many of you are forgetting what it is like to be a newbie.  for me, it was abt a year and a half so i still remember it.  buying a big house for a newbie now is the same as it was for you.  a dream of, "someday" or "wow, how could i ever afford that?!"  and then telling yourself that it doesnt matter bc you cannot possibly imagine why you would need something bigger than the starter house.  the game is STILL that way.  if you don't believe me, go ahead and make a new character on a seperate server. run the game as you did when you first started playing.  (i.e., no power leveling, no hand outs, no high level character helping your newbie, etc.)

getting a mount today is certainly a lot easier than it was before sentinel's fate.  but, it wasn't impossible to get one before SF.  i do remember, though, looking at the cheapest mount that was over a plat and wondeirng when (or if) i could afford one. 

plat is only rolling if you have a level 90 that can feed plat to your army of alts.  even then, its not rolling as much for ppl who are not raiders.

the game has not changed (in regards to being a broke newbie).  your playstyle has.

I completely disagree and will use your example as an example.

For a litlle over 1 plat you can buy a 6 room in Gorrowyn with 7 gold per week upkeep. No status required.

A brand new character could spend a couple hours a week harvesting in T1 and T2 and sell everyhting and have that no problem.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #80
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

Tigress wrote:

Ruut Li wrote:

Rijacki wrote:

For a litlle over 1 plat you can buy a 6 room in Gorrowyn with 7 gold per week upkeep. No status required.

A brand new character could spend a couple hours a week harvesting in T1 and T2 and sell everyhting and have that no problem.

I'm on the fence of it.  The game has changed a lot.  Even in the older days, though, one was able to get one to two platinum by level 13.  It wasn't that hard to do.  Still, the amount of platinum available to players now is insane.  I remember when I came back I was shocked at how much gold was being given by quests alone.  Not to mention the platinum spread on raids.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #81
Tigress

Loremaster

Rick777 wrote:

Tigress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

i don't understand that.  never once did i feel a sense of accomplishment bc i arrived at a destination and had to wait for my slowpoke groupmates.  never once did i look back at crossing the commonlands with no mount, then get one and feel like i achieved something bc i had a mount now.  it wasn't an accomplishment.  it was something that i bought, usually with plat but sometimes with cash (SF CE). 

getting your currently useless fabled epic weapon the old-fashioned way: an achievement

getting a mount: not an achievement

back to the topic:  i fail to see how this relates to EQ2. i read the article, expecting that smedly addressed the F2P questions that have been asked about EQ2.  this game wasn't even mentioned.

I've felt that.  It was more at the beginning of the game when things were new and traveling overland with your group headed towards a dungeon was actually fun and dangerous.  It wasn't so much about the destination of the loot back in those days, it was about the journey.  What ruins that is grinding of any sort, of having to make the same journey 5 times per week to get enough shards to make gear, so what happens is you begin to fixate on the goal of amassing shards instead of just having fun.  To me the turning point was in ROK, although it began sooner than that it just seems that the transition from ROK to TSO really put an extremely hardcore emphasis on gem/shard farming.  ROK was the last xpac which had truly dangerous overlands and not much, if any travel help other than wiz/druids.

I don't think there will ever be any going back though, unless SOE figured out a way to make the overland journey to the dungeon an adventure in itself, complete with rewards.   I think that might be pretty cool. 

As to you saying getting a mount is not an achievement, I disagree with that BIG time.  I remember scraping for months and months to get my first horse, it was an incredible achievement and you would only see a few dozen with them.  Fast forward to the present and if they put in some mounts which were achieved thru killing raid bosses, or ones thru a long involved quest, for me that would be an achievement, just the same as ANY gear would be an achievement.  Of course mounts are an achievement, that's why they are hands down among some of the coolest looking items in the entire game.  If they weren't an achievement and no one cared about them other than getting to a destination we wouldnt have them and would probably just have increased run speeds or player flying.

for me, it was the opposite.  i hated the long time that it took for me to get to my destination.  the commonlands questline was ______ . i did the entire questline with my necro and decided "never again" bc you have to run all over the zone for the quests and it just added too much time for completion.  i even stayed out of the commonlands for a long time after my necro was done bc it turned me off that much.  my first mount was a 25% mount and it was no better than my green journeyman's cloak.  (i did play a good month or two before i discovered the cloak.)  when they introduced the lucky wolf paw, it stacked with the cloak but not the mount.  guess what i didn't use?  the delay in travel was nothing more than a time sink.  i'm not fond of time sinks.

still don't agree with you that getting a mount is (or was) a major achievement.  they are handed out like halloween candy and have been since i started playing.  if you are reminising abt 2004, then, hey, i wasn't here.  that said, if you doubt that getting a mount is different today then do as i suggested a make a new character isolated from the rest.  it does take a bit to get one but it is still really easy.  was it different back in 2004?  i know theres the new free mount when you follow the starter questlines but i wonder if you could afford to buy the cheapest mount (other than freebie) by the time you hit 20.  i remember looking at the mounts and deciding that they were not worth the price bc it was a nominal speed boost but i dont remember if i had the money to buy it or not.  i remember the flying carpets from SS and wanting one.  i decided that i would get that someday instead of spending the plat.  by the time i got the the SS timeline, i no longer cared and by-passed it on my fury.  i did recently get it on my necro and was disppointed to find out that "falls slower" is broken bc my necro gets falling damage .

as i type this, i realize that somewhere i messed up in what i was trying to convey.  getting from place A to place B faster than your groupmate was not an achievement.  it was bragging rights and i'm not a bragger so....  i never felt a sense of accomplishment when i got my first mount.  it didn't make me all happy and excited.  it was more "finally, now i'm not a turtle!".  i guess it could be an achievement but a really minor one.  getting my fabled epic weapon the hard way did make me all happy & excited.  that was an achievement.  it's not easy to get a raid group set up for it so i bet it means even more now than it did then.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #82
Lempo

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Like I'm going to read a 146 page thread. I'm not wrong you are just refusing to address anything in this thread from the start you dodge it instead.

If Everquest 2 Extended was a seperate service then to get to the page to sign up for it users should not type in www.everquest2.com, where when you go the sign up page it offers both to sign up but the extended service is on the left where when targeted at an audience that reads from left to right anyone with any understanding of marketing understands that what is on the left is going to receive more views/attention.

www.everquest2extended.com though takes you to a page that does not indicate there is another form of play available no way to get to the live service from that landing page.

Also the pop up ad when you go to eq2players.com the pop up does the same thing it is designed to steer potential players to the F2P version.

So you totally dodged the transfer from live to extended portion, I know why you chose the avatar you did and you are truly living up to it. Are you going to attempt to tell me that they do not sell (RMT) on the LIVE servers an option to transfer from live to extended?

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #83
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Even then though, the core game and first expansion at least, the BEST homes were secured by those who put effort in the game not just by accruing platinum, but by questing and adventuring to earn status. You had to work in game to get the best in game, just like I mentioned with teh original carpet mount.

Now though, you can buy your "Prestige" house without doing a single thing in the game...a SINGLE thing. I am not sure why it is even described as prestige in that case as it really bears no semblance of meaning in regards to the game.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #84
Tigress

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Tigress wrote:

I'm on the fence of it.  The game has changed a lot.  Even in the older days, though, one was able to get one to two platinum by level 13.  It wasn't that hard to do.  Still, the amount of platinum available to players now is insane.  I remember when I came back I was shocked at how much gold was being given by quests alone.  Not to mention the platinum spread on raids.

i completely disagree that harvesting T1 & T2 will generate a lot of plat.  harvesting the higher levels and selling the rares will but not the low level stuff. 

look, i was there abt a year and half ago. its fresher for me.  pls, try it.  make a newbie character on a seperate server and play as a newbie and not a seasoned player.  it may not be possible, actually, bc you have knowledge that you would not have as a newbie.  my first home was actually purchased for me by a friend.  he gave me the plat, i bought the house and then he deposited several plat on the door.  i had been playing roughly 4 months and still could not afford to buy the house.  i remember needing to borrow 10 plat to make my way through the game.  (i was not buying stuff other than the essentials, like armor.)  when my fury was level 60, i was finally able to pay back the plat that i borrowed. 

even if i dont funnel the money down to another character, i do generate more plat now than i did then.  why?  knowledge.  i know more abt the game and i know a better way to play. i did not have the knowledge as a new player.  i think that you guys are confusing newbie status with an informed player more so than the game.  yes, there has been changes but.....

Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #85
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Tigress wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Tigress wrote:

i completely disagree that harvesting T1 & T2 will generate a lot of plat.  harvesting the higher levels and selling the rares will but not the low level stuff. 

look, i was there abt a year and half ago. its fresher for me.  pls, try it.  make a newbie character on a seperate server and play as a newbie and not a seasoned player.  it may not be possible, actually, bc you have knowledge that you would not have as a newbie.  my first home was actually purchased for me by a friend.  he gave me the plat, i bought the house and then he deposited several plat on the door.  i had been playing roughly 4 months and still could not afford to buy the house.  i remember needing to borrow 10 plat to make my way through the game.  (i was not buying stuff other than the essentials, like armor.)  when my fury was level 60, i was finally able to pay back the plat that i borrowed. 

even if i dont funnel the money down to another character, i do generate more plat now than i did then.  why?  knowledge.  i know more abt the game and i know a better way to play. i did not have the knowledge as a new player.  i think that you guys are confusing newbie status with an informed player more so than the game.  yes, there has been changes but.....

I didn't say a lot, I said enough. What server are you on where two hours a week of harvesting in t1 and t2 won't net you at least 2 plat a week?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #86
Tigress

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Tigress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

i don't understand that.  never once did i feel a sense of accomplishment bc i arrived at a destination and had to wait for my slowpoke groupmates.  never once did i look back at crossing the commonlands with no mount, then get one and feel like i achieved something bc i had a mount now.  it wasn't an accomplishment.  it was something that i bought, usually with plat but sometimes with cash (SF CE). 

getting your currently useless fabled epic weapon the old-fashioned way: an achievement

getting a mount: not an achievement

back to the topic:  i fail to see how this relates to EQ2. i read the article, expecting that smedly addressed the F2P questions that have been asked about EQ2.  this game wasn't even mentioned.

Geez Tigress are you trolling me here or what?

Because if you seriously gathered that I was saying that getting across the CL faster than other was an accomplishement then you are as obtuse as they come. I didn't say GETTING a mount I said EARNING a mount.

It realtes to EQ2 because it is part of this game now, the game didn't have to be mentioned it didn't need to be it was an all-inclusive topic. It really isn't worth discussing with you much further because you are either being nothing but a troll here or you do not have the faculties to comprehend the conversation.

rude... 

just bc someone does not agree with you does not mean that they are a troll.  do you need a definition of the word troll??  FURTHERMORE, you have ZERO right to insult my intelligence.  you do not know me and have no clue as to my capabilities, one way or the other.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #87
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Like I'm going to read a 146 page thread. I'm not wrong you are just refusing to address anything in this thread from the start you dodge it instead.

If Everquest 2 Extended was a seperate service then to get to the page to sign up for it users should not type in www.everquest2.com, where when you go the sign up page it offers both to sign up but the extended service is on the left where when targeted at an audience that reads from left to right anyone with any understanding of marketing understands that what is on the left is going to receive more views/attention.

www.everquest2extended.com though takes you to a page that does not indicate there is another form of play available no way to get to the live service from that landing page.

Also the pop up ad when you go to eq2players.com the pop up does the same thing it is designed to steer potential players to the F2P version.

So you totally dodged the transfer from live to extended portion, I know why you chose the avatar you did and you are truly living up to it. Are you going to attempt to tell me that they do not sell (RMT) on the LIVE servers an option to transfer from live to extended?

It was on the first page.  Secondly, browsers have the ability to search for text by pressing CTRL + F.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #88
thesiren

Loremaster

Tigress wrote:

I agree with this, being a guild leader who is letting a broader range of players into my Freeport guild than my two live ones (which are still strictly longstanding family guilds).  New players in my Freeport guild are always way more broke than my newbie characters are.  I  go right out with my higher-level toon and farm higher-level collectibles and boom!  I've tricked out my newbie in no time, not to mention that I have 9 crafters so nothing in that level range is off the radar for me like it would be for a brand new player without an army of crafters.  Even lower-tier rares and mats are a cinch to collect when all the mobs are grey and you have a leaper/flying mount/etc.

Newbies have a tough time harvesting and usually their skills are behind for their level range if anything, because they have to fight every mob tooth and nail to even harvest anything.  Not to mention that they are usually in mis-matched gear, and can even lose track of quest lines, can't find their way around nearly as easily, don't have mounts starting out, and everything just takes a good deal longer.  We are talking about people who might say,

"But...but...I thought Lesser Faydark would be easier than Greater Faydark!"  in all seriousness, when asking for a quick rescue, and not even realizing they can Call to Home besides.    Or they don't even put out enough spell trays to accomodate all the new spells as they get them, so don't even wind up knowing they're there....  Just have a little mercy, kids.  We all started somewhere.

Now.. as for this poor, railroaded thread....  I hope it gets back on track soon, and I even more strongly hope that an SOE official opens up an honest dialog (as it was put on the other forums) with us really soon, and lets us know what they have in store.  As far as John Smedley goes, it's been "F2P Mania" to major internet media outlets left and right.  As we're the ones potentially affected, it'd be nice if he let us in on the details as well, or Smokejumper, Domino, or somebody....

Jeez, this forum is getting almost as bad as the Extended one is for being left out of the loop by red names.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #89
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Tigress wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Tigress wrote:

In the old days they did make a lot of platinum.  Secondly, when I started on Freeport (I have not and will not transfer any to that server btw) I was still able to make ten platinum by level 20.   When I was new to the game back when it was new it took me a while (three months I think?) to be able to earn that first mount.  Second time around I had it by level 13 every time.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #90
Onorem

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Define older days.