EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Performance Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #31
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is how they wrote the line that you are refering to earlier that caused the confusion.  It's a common error.

The line you quoted is:

"4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), also known as application memory tuning, or the /3GB switch, is a technology (only applicable to 32 bit systems) that alters the amount of virtual address space available to user mode applications"

Let's break down that line to fully understand it.  It's stating that:

4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), also known as application memory tuning, is a technology that alters the amount of virtual address space available to user mode applications.

This is a true statement.

However, it tossed in a qualifier into the sentence that confuses people by stating that /3GB is only applicable to 32 bit systems.  That, also is true.  On the Vista 64, Windows 7 64 and Windows 8 64 systems they ignore those boot switches.

Instead, it's done by the bcdedit.

"4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), also known as application memory tuning, or the /3GB switch, is a technology (only applicable to 32 bit systems) that alters the amount of virtual address space available to user mode applications"Lets break it down.    The quote makes it very clear that :/4GT = memory application tuning./3GB = memory application tuning./4GT = /3GBIt is all one and the same, microsofts documentation on numerous articles make it clear. Whether activated by the switch, or by bcdedit, it is the same thing. Only applicable to 32 bit systems...While you can modify different settings via bcdedit to allow "large file awareness" and increased use of virtual memory (which is of no use to gamers), this is different to physical memory and access to it. The primary benefit of /4GT to gamers, is getting more use out of a limited supply of accessible RAM on a 32bit OS.There is a reason all official posts and commentary for /4GT talk all about 32 bit operating systems. Such as:

A great read : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...r_4gt_what_suepAnd another : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.85%29.aspxAnd this one makes a great statement :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...28WS.10%29.aspx

There are few restrictions regarding the environment in which 4GT can be enabled. 4GT has the following hardware and software requirements:

• x86-based processor

You opened thread stating that EQ2 is limited to 2GB on x64 systems unless changes are made. I have hit 2.8GB on stock default settings without crashing. So unless you are changing what you said to x64 systems having a 4GB limit, that may be a very different story, but as I have not flagged anything for image_file_large_address_aware, this does not appear to co-incide with your information.I have not changed settings in bcdedit. As I continue to read up on the fucntion, namely 4GT/3GB, I keep finding pages filled with information on how this benefits x32 Operating Systems. I can see why oracle (database architechture) would have interest in memory tweaking, even on 64 bit OS's, but they are a whole different ballpark to games, especially when dealing with data volumes.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is how they wrote the line that you are refering to earlier that caused the confusion.  It's a common error.

The line you quoted is:

"4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), also known as application memory tuning, or the /3GB switch, is a technology (only applicable to 32 bit systems) that alters the amount of virtual address space available to user mode applications"

Let's break down that line to fully understand it.  It's stating that:

4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), also known as application memory tuning, is a technology that alters the amount of virtual address space available to user mode applications.

This is a true statement.

However, it tossed in a qualifier into the sentence that confuses people by stating that /3GB is only applicable to 32 bit systems.  That, also is true.  On the Vista 64, Windows 7 64 and Windows 8 64 systems they ignore those boot switches.

Instead, it's done by the bcdedit.

"4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), also known as application memory tuning, or the /3GB switch, is a technology (only applicable to 32 bit systems) that alters the amount of virtual address space available to user mode applications"Lets break it down.    The quote makes it very clear that :/4GT = memory application tuning./3GB = memory application tuning./4GT = /3GBIt is all one and the same, microsofts documentation on numerous articles make it clear. Whether activated by the switch, or by bcdedit, it is the same thing. Only applicable to 32 bit systems...While you can modify different settings via bcdedit to allow "large file awareness" and increased use of virtual memory (which is of no use to gamers), this is different to physical memory and access to it. The primary benefit of /4GT to gamers, is getting more use out of a limited supply of accessible RAM on a 32bit OS.There is a reason all official posts and commentary for /4GT talk all about 32 bit operating systems. Such as:

A great read : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...r_4gt_what_suepAnd another : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.85%29.aspxAnd this one makes a great statement :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...28WS.10%29.aspx

There are few restrictions regarding the environment in which 4GT can be enabled. 4GT has the following hardware and software requirements:

• x86-based processor

You opened thread stating that EQ2 is limited to 2GB on x64 systems unless changes are made. I have hit 2.8GB on stock default settings without crashing. So unless you are changing what you said to x64 systems having a 4GB limit, that may be a very different story, but as I have not flagged anything for image_file_large_address_aware, this does not appear to co-incide with your information.I have not changed settings in bcdedit. As I continue to read up on the fucntion, namely 4GT/3GB, I keep finding pages filled with information on how this benefits x32 Operating Systems. I can see why oracle (database architechture) would have interest in memory tweaking, even on 64 bit OS's, but they are a whole different ballpark to games, especially when dealing with data volumes.

Autotune on 64bit systems is on by default.  However, as per the Microsoft articles I posted above, it is set to 2/2.  2 for the application and 2 for the system.  BCDEDIT Microsoft suggested changes that to 3/1.  The chart in one of the prior posts, again created by Microsoft, makes it clear that by default it's 2/2 unless the application has the Large Address Aware flag coded into the executable header.  At that point it'll be 4.  I also explained to you how you are able to see 2.8Gb when the application limit is 2Gb.  The article by the Tech Fellow at Microsoft also explains this.

Yet another chart, this time from the Microsoft Performance Team:

Memory Type

Limit on x86

Limit on x64

Physical Memory 4GB 64 GB with PAE 1 TB
Kernel Virtual Address 2 GB 1 GB with 4GT (/3GB) 8 TB
User Mode Process 2 GB 3 GB with 4GT (/3GB) 2 GB for 32-bit processes 4 GB for 32-bit processes with LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE 8 TB for 64-bit processes

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/...it-windows.aspx

If you have any further questions please direct them at Microsoft through the MVP program.   If there is any contradiction you feel they have with their documentation they may have an answer for you.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #33
SkunkCabbage

Loremaster

I just read the Microsoft page at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.85%29.aspx

Among the things it says is:  "To enable an application to use the larger address space, set the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in the image header"

Can this be done in EverQuest II?  If so, how?  And won't the automatic "patch" that occurs undo whatever I might have done in the EQ files?

SkunkCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #34
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

SkunkCabbage wrote:

I just read the Microsoft page at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.85%29.aspx

Among the things it says is:  "To enable an application to use the larger address space, set the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in the image header"

Can this be done in EverQuest II?  If so, how?  And won't the automatic "patch" that occurs undo whatever I might have done in the EQ files?

From my own checking the file is already set to enable this.   There is more to it simply having this flag though.  An update to the original post will be coming soon to explain more.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
Banedon_Toran

Lord

deadcrickets2 wrote:

SkunkCabbage wrote:

From my own checking the file is already set to enable this.   There is more to it simply having this flag though.  An update to the original post will be coming soon to explain more.

Interesting, so potentially the option of 4GB physical address space for EQ2 on 64bit systems with more than 4GB memory?
Banedon_Toran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Banedon_Toran wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

SkunkCabbage wrote:

Interesting, so potentially the option of 4GB physical address space for EQ2 on 64bit systems with more than 4GB memory?

Indeed. But to work properly (in a manner that yields superior client performance), it may require SOE to code certain things to take advantage of it, beyond the image header tag.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
Pashta

Loremaster

Thank you, trying it now because I have been receiving the memory error lately. SMILEY

Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #38
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Yes I want to thank you also for htis information but need to know how it effects a machine with 2GB Ram which is all my AMD Athlon 64 3300+ mother board allows at least it is all that was recognized when i tried to install more(this is better then my old mother board that did not allow any more then 1Gig RAM).   I am running with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Graphics card. and until AoD expansion hit live was doing fine. since then it has been lag city and I"ve had to go down to Extreme performance instead of my usual High performance. and this last patch seems to have kicked the problem up to getting that memory error pop up, having to close the game out and request help in getting my Toon on AB out of  from the teir 1 Guild hall she was trying to get in while in Extreme performance

So all I need to know is if this fix will work with 2gig ram or am I SoL until SoE figures out what they broke.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #39
Levatino

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Yes I want to thank you also for htis information but need to know how it effects a machine with 2GB Ram which is all my AMD Athlon 64 3300+ mother board allows at least it is all that was recognized when i tried to install more(this is better then my old mother board that did not allow any more then 1Gig RAM).   I am running with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Graphics card. and until AoD expansion hit live was doing fine. since then it has been lag city and I"ve had to go down to Extreme performance instead of my usual High performance. and this last patch seems to have kicked the problem up to getting that memory error pop up, having to close the game out and request help in getting my Toon on AB out of  from the teir 1 Guild hall she was trying to get in while in Extreme performance

So all I need to know is if this fix will work with 2gig ram or am I SoL until SoE figures out what they broke.

I also have 2 gigs of Ram physically and I can say this solution works for me. Yes I have lag, but the error is gone.

The switch also takes into account the virtual memory you have set on your machine.

My suggestion to you, try it out.

edit: spelling mistake

Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
Helmarf

Loremaster

Ok i had the same problems with memory crashes but only on 2 of my chars when trying to zone in to their houses and some random crashes when zoning to guildhall. But this works very good, it looks like my system stoped consuming more memory to.

Big thx

Helmarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #41
Pinuvin

Loremaster

Suffered this for a while and tried this method and it worked great!  Thanks for the soloution to one of my problems at least.

Pinuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #42
Uwkete-of-Crushbone

Loremaster

Levatino wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I also have 2 gigs of Ram physically and I can say this solution works for me. Yes I have lag, but the error is gone.

The switch also takes into account the virtual memory you have set on your machine.

My suggestion to you, try it out.

edit: spelling mistake

Ooh!  Man, I hope it works for me, too, since I have very similar issues.  Frankly, I have WORSE than only 2 GB of RAM, but it was never an issue until this week, on Test Server (Erollisi Day is already up there).  Why, I have no idea, but here's my info:

Processor: Pentium IV 3.00 GHz (Enhanced)RAM: 1.50 GB; 2.99 GHz (approx.)Graphics Card: Chaintech GeForce FX-5200 128 MB DDR VRAM (for the longest time, this and my RAM were enough to run EQ2 fairly well; no bad crashes at all until this week)Operating System: Windows XPScreen Resolution: 1024 x 768 60 HzFrames Per Second: Put it this way: I rejoice when I'm up to double-digits.  This has actually decreased a little since the whole new, more complex log-in screens bit went up (including the leaving of Launchpad on [it has NEVER dropped of its own accord for me; I've always had to shut it off manually using Windows Task Manager], and the interestingly-named AwesomiumProcess.exe.  When I killed those two, the Mem Usage of EverQuest2.exe went way down, until I actually got into game...or couldn't, rather, since I'd shut LaunchPad off prematurely.  D'oh).

I've tried adjusting various Graphics settings under Options->Advanced recently, and while it did help with my FPS, I had a limited time to enjoy it until the Critical Error messages piled up (twice in a row this week, it's been 6 error messages to 1 EQ2, and I've had to do Close Group to finally kill them all).  For all I know, it's an issue with something on Test Server; when I play there, I do so with "native" characters created for the purpose.  I'll just dash off to a Live server for a bit and see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, this is weird.  Went on Crushbone server for a couple of hours; it got a little high, Mem Usage-wise, at one point, but nothing too scary (the last time I was on Test, last night, I was on less than a half an hour before getting the bad kind of Crits).  Was able to fight some annoying critters that attacked me, finished some quests, even got into our T2 Guild Hall without too many issues, though that got me into scary-ness with over 1 GB of Usage.  I was going from the GH to my South Qeynos 6-room house when I got 5 of the usual 6 Critical Errors...but with only 200,000+ K Mem Usage, so I have to wonder if that has anything to do with it, or any indication that it's about to go kerphlooey. :-/

Uwk

P.S. If this switch allocates more to EQ2 (and other large-ish programs) and less to the OS, how will this affect any anti-virus programs?  If the answer is, "not at all," sign me up (if possible)! --U.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #43
Velenda

Loremaster

You have got to be kidding me.

Seriously.

What changed inthe game between the last expac and Age of Discovery to cause this memory error? My computer hasn't changed during this time...just the game.

Now the solution to this, is to mess with properties in my windows files, that I really have no intention of touching (and could potentially mess up other things in my computer). Instead of say, figuring out what the heck happned, to the program it'self, to make it cause the memory errors.

I use to love this game, play it all the time, I reccomended it to everyone...but now it's broken.

This is madness.

Velenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #44
MrWolfie

Loremaster

I have two identical machines. Both have 4GB of RAM and are running Win XP. One has the 3GB switch set, the other does not. Both show 2.75GB available (My Computer > Properties > General). Where can I check that it's working?

Oh, and both machines STILL suffer out of memory crashes in EQ2.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
Gadfly299

Lord

Well. I enabled that nifty little comand over a month ago.  All the crash and memory issues went away as soon as I rebooted.  It has helped with all the games on my system in fact.  So I went ahead and did it to my wife laptop and big difference there.  She is a Sim3 player, and it took the game from run 10 seconds, freeze 10 seconds to smooth sailings.

I would say this is a good piece of info that is well worth the time to use.

Gadfly299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #46
Brigh

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I have two identical machines. Both have 4GB of RAM and are running Win XP. One has the 3GB switch set, the other does not. Both show 2.75GB available (My Computer > Properties > General). Where can I check that it's working?

Oh, and both machines STILL suffer out of memory crashes in EQ2.

If you just have 4 GB and after starting the computer, you only have 2.75 left, that is cutting it close for the game, especially if you are going to be running a browser or other things at the same time.

Check your Startup folder to see if any non-essential programs are loading to free up some RAM (quicktime, instant messengers, etc all have options to not load at startup. Use those options first before removing them from the startup folder or stopping them in the checkboxes within System Configuration.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #47
Levatino

Loremaster

If you are still having issues with memory you can also use a nifty program like Gamebooster.

When you want to run a game like Everquest 2, first run this program it will shut down unneccesary game related windows services plus also additional other programs you don't use during gaming, thus creating more memory to use for your game. If you are done gaming just press restore to get them back.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #48
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Velenda wrote:

You have got to be kidding me.

Seriously.

What changed inthe game between the last expac and Age of Discovery to cause this memory error? My computer hasn't changed during this time...just the game.

Now the solution to this, is to mess with properties in my windows files, that I really have no intention of touching (and could potentially mess up other things in my computer). Instead of say, figuring out what the heck happned, to the program it'self, to make it cause the memory errors.

I use to love this game, play it all the time, I reccomended it to everyone...but now it's broken.

This is madness.

The cause of the crashes turned out not to be pure memory related as some thought.  Working with two other players who commented on this thread we figured out it was due to memory pointer corruption due to the large memory flag they enabled on the executable.  That is not to say that that corruption was the cause of all the crashes people have experienced.  Some are truly related to memory leaks.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

I've got a major re-write I'm going to be putting up some time this week for this.  I want to have it reviewed first so as not to catch the TSR unaware.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #50
Vifarc

Loremaster

That's worse with this /3GB, my browser is lagging, and EQ2 can't even launch.

Without /3GB, I could enter the game (then crash).

Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #51
Ritten
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Runnyeye Raiding Club

Loremaster

The minimum specs are still listed as 512MB -> http://www.everquest2.com/faq#Q43

While it makes sense that the game needs some more memory these days, I think 2gb is quite a lot. Why do we even run into these problems?

Is there a setting to more aggressively 'garbage collect' so release inactive bits of memory?

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #52
Jojo

Loremaster

Now I was happy this workaround helped. No crashes anymore with application ran out of memory in EQ2. And now guess what? EQ1 does not like this change at all. Screen freezes as soon as someone casts something with effects.

I changed this /3GB thing back and voila EQ1 works again and EQ2 crashes again..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #53
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The minimum specs are still listed as 512MB -> http://www.everquest2.com/faq#Q43

While it makes sense that the game needs some more memory these days, I think 2gb is quite a lot. Why do we even run into these problems?

Is there a setting to more aggressively 'garbage collect' so release inactive bits of memory?

There is but I'll have to look it back up for you.  I know there is something related to /low_mem.  Try doing a command search when in the game by typing in /low and press TAB.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #54
PaRaGoN3434

Lord

I did this on a Dell Insiprion 530 (Spec's below), using Windows Vista 64-bit; and my in game FPS went from 40 to 3!! how do I revert back to defaults? This has messed up everything from internet lag to any game that I've been playing. CPU 1.8GHz Intel Pentium E2160 Memory 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Graphics 128MB Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS Hard drive 320GB, 7,200 rpm Also running a second graphics card which is a GeForce 8400 GS

EDIT*** Semi-fixed this by setting the VMA to 2070; fps is back up to 15, which is at least playable; and suggestions to revert it all the way back to normal?

PaRaGoN3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #55
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

PaRaGoN3434 wrote:

I did this on a Dell Insiprion 530 (Spec's below), using Windows Vista 64-bit; and my in game FPS went from 40 to 3!! how do I revert back to defaults? This has messed up everything from internet lag to any game that I've been playing. CPU 1.8GHz Intel Pentium E2160 Memory 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Graphics 128MB Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS Hard drive 320GB, 7,200 rpm Also running a second graphics card which is a GeForce 8400 GS

EDIT*** Semi-fixed this by setting the VMA to 2070; fps is back up to 15, which is at least playable; and suggestions to revert it all the way back to normal?

The problem is you ran it on a system with only 2Gb of RAM.  It's only really recommended for those with 4Gb and above. 

Click on the Start menu, type in cmd.exe. Right click on cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator. Once the command window pops up type in bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048 and press enter. Restart your computer.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #56
PaRaGoN3434

Lord

UPDATE** I was wrong about my computer information above, I do have 4gb of ram, I was lazy and did a generic search on my computers info, forgetting I have slight modifications. Edit** MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 Intel Core2duo CPU [email protected] 2.66 Ghz, 4G Ram, Running both a Nvidia 8400GS, and a Nvidia 8300GS I don't know if this also matters, but my Window Experience Index is a 3.6 lacking in performance for windows Aero (everything else is above 5.5). I have since not been able to find the source of my in game lag, everything on the computer is well maintained; and is regularly cleaned. Thinking I may have to take it into a tech specialist to find out why I'm lagging on the simplest of games now. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #57
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

PaRaGoN3434 wrote:

UPDATE** I was wrong about my computer information above, I do have 4gb of ram, I was lazy and did a generic search on my computers info, forgetting I have slight modifications. Edit** MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 Intel Core2duo CPU [email protected] 2.66 Ghz, 4G Ram, Running both a Nvidia 8400GS, and a Nvidia 8300GS I don't know if this also matters, but my Window Experience Index is a 3.6 lacking in performance for windows Aero (everything else is above 5.5). I have since not been able to find the source of my in game lag, everything on the computer is well maintained; and is regularly cleaned. Thinking I may have to take it into a tech specialist to find out why I'm lagging on the simplest of games now. Thanks for your help!

Then it's most likely that since the video cards are using your system RAM as additional VRAM that it's essentially causing the system to run out of memory between the VRAM, system cache and the game.  I suppose I should add a disclaimer in regards to that in the original post.

Have you tried doing a System Restore to a point before you did the modification?  Also, how much space is left on your hard drive.  There may be a chance where if it's running out of RAM it's paging out to the page file on the hard drive.  If there is less than 15% of space left you'll suffer even worse than simply having something in the page file (which is bad enough as it is).

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #58
PaRaGoN3434

Lord

I did system restore to a point about a week earlier, it didn't change anything; I then reformatted my computer; and the problem still exists, as far as memory goes; the computer is using 

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB 

~~~~~Available Physical Memory 2.37 GB~~~~~

Total Virtual Memory 8.21 GB

~~~~~Available Virtual Memory 6.23 GB~~~~~

Page File Space 4.29 GB

EDIT** Extra information regarding the system Information
OS Name Microsoft®             Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version                               6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description       Not Available
OS Manufacturer               Microsoft Corporation
System Name                       PC
System Manufacturer       Dell Inc.
System Model                       Inspiron 530
System Type                        x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)   2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date                Dell Inc. 1.0.15, 6/20/2008
SMBIOS Version               2.5
Windows Directory              C:Windows
System Directory              C:Windowssystem32
Boot Device                      DeviceHarddiskVolume3
Locale                              United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name PC
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #59
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

PaRaGoN3434 wrote:

I did system restore to a point about a week earlier, it didn't change anything; I then reformatted my computer; and the problem still exists, as far as memory goes; the computer is using 

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB 

~~~~~Available Physical Memory 2.37 GB~~~~~

Total Virtual Memory 8.21 GB

~~~~~Available Virtual Memory 6.23 GB~~~~~

Page File Space 4.29 GB

EDIT** Extra information regarding the system Information
OS Name Microsoft®             Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version                               6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description       Not Available
OS Manufacturer               Microsoft Corporation
System Name                       PC
System Manufacturer       Dell Inc.
System Model                       Inspiron 530
System Type                        x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)   2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date                Dell Inc. 1.0.15, 6/20/2008
SMBIOS Version               2.5
Windows Directory              C:Windows
System Directory              C:Windowssystem32
Boot Device                      DeviceHarddiskVolume3
Locale                              United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name PC
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

It might be something else causing it then.  I would go ahead and have your system checked out.  Might be as simple as the computer overheating from a clogged fan.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #60
Kwibble

Loremaster

I'm just curious.....  Is there ANYONE out there that is still able to run this game without frequent memory crashes on a 4Gb Win XP SP3 system with a 1Gb graphics card?  It's been about a year now, and I've seen many, many posts of people having issues, and no real solutions.  Some folks are having success with the /3GB switch, but like many, it just slows my system to a crawl and causes EQ2 to fail to launch at all.  Very frustrating...   One idea that comes to mind... perhaps I should just backgrade to my 8 year old X850XT Radeon card - at least that would recover some addressable memory?

Kwibble is offline   Reply With Quote