EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #31
Jaremai

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

They gave some sort of weird excuse as to why they can't/won't add normal dresses, I don't remember what is was though.

Probably that they have to build the actual geometry mesh for them and then make adjustments on 20 races (+ SOGA) before they can start skinning them with textures.  Armor is probably a higher priority for them than dresses when it comes to making new geometry though.

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
Seidhkona

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

There's a joke here about eating pie somewhere, I just can't find it.

What are her pauldrons connected to?  Not that it matters, I just like working out logistics.

There is a guild on LDL called "I Like Pie". Or, she may have a "thing" for halflings and is using it for bait?

I dunno about the magicotechnical properties of the armor model. I started with Val3dArt's Eris:

Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #33
Seidhkona

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

They gave some sort of weird excuse as to why they can't/won't add normal dresses, I don't remember what is was though.

Probably that they have to build the actual geometry mesh for them and then make adjustments on 20 races (+ SOGA) before they can start skinning them with textures.  Armor is probably a higher priority for them than dresses when it comes to making new geometry though.

The big deal with dresses is how to avoid the legs "clipping", which is where they poke through the mesh when the character moves. That's why so many of the dresses are either cut away from the leg movement or slashed to their hoo-hahs.

My theory is to either make shorter shirts, or loincloth-like garments. AND KILTS.

I *do* wish that the art team would design some good-looking feminine outfits STARTING with the design on a Halasian, or a Halfling, or an Ogre. I would be willing to bet that the basic feminine art is developed on high elves or humans. THat ends up flattering all the elf and human models. But honest to goshen, Halasians look AWFUL in festival dresses! Athletic, big women need different styles that look attractive on THEM.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #34
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Agreed, muscled/athletic women can look very 'feminine' if they wear clothing designed for them rather than re-worked clothes for toothpicks without racks (sometimes with, but usually without)

Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #35
Pink_Poodle

Shrine Maiden

I think some fancy modest outfits would work well in EQ2 as well, i.e. EGL:

I'm also sure a lot of the worn existing outfits (i.e. by the harem girls in Desert of Flames or something) would be great as appearance-gear.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #36
Lethe5683

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

The big deal with dresses is how to avoid the legs "clipping", which is where they poke through the mesh when the character moves. That's why so many of the dresses are either cut away from the leg movement or slashed to their hoo-hahs.

That's what it was... I'm sure there has to be some way they could get around that issue other than what they are doing now.  Maybe it's just not possible in EQ2 specifically due to rigging or something...

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #37
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'd kind of like some gear like this:

Yeah, I really don't want my characters looking any more skanky and slutty than they already do when they wear dresses. How would that even stay on anyways? Glue? Besides, we already have skankdresses (the festival garb.)

How about some modest dresses? With wide skirts? Hell, they can be short, I don't mind, I just don't want my girls showing off their panties all the time like the work at the Jade or something. /snicker

And here's where difference of opinion comes in.  I think the dresses in game are TOTAL grandma.  I feel dowdy and ridiculous running around in them.  I want plate and chainmail bikinis!  More skin!  More "fantasy" armour!  I LOVE the barely-there outfits in Warhammer and would kill to have them here.

The festival dresses are ugly and once again cause us to be barefoot, not to mention the fact that we stand around in them like construction workers.  No thanks.

If I could get Strep to look "slutty" or "skanky" in this game, it would be a dream come true.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #38
Seidhkona

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Seconded!  Because the less armour, the higher your defense. 

Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
Laiina

Loremaster

I have mixed feelings about "sexy" armor. On the one hand, some of it looks pretty cool, but on the other hand I am still old-school when it comes to string thongs not being all that good for armor SMILEY

Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #40
quiarrah

Loremaster

Laiina wrote:

I have mixed feelings about "sexy" armor. On the one hand, some of it looks pretty cool, but on the other hand I am still old-school when it comes to string thongs not being all that good for armor

I agree . . . a thong and pasties are not going to protect you from that Dragon blowing fire at you. . . .but. . . .I think the key word here should be APPEARANCE. Appearance armor that can be put into the appearance slot because frankly I see nothing wrong with our ARMOR as it is. . it is mostly the CLOTHES that I have a problem with. The Fashion on the streets, lets say. The "Saks Fith Avenue" of Norrath is totally non=existant. We have thrift shop clothing that are clothes our grandmothers gave away. (see,. , ,even GRANDMA wouldn't be caught dead in them!)

I still say take a look at the clothing that is worn by the NPC's in Mara and Sands . . .. (and I am still praying for that genie outfit from the festivals. . . . .*kneels and bows head . .awaiting an answer from the almighty fashion devs)

Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #41
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Armour is only useful if you plan on getting hit (and even a full suit of plate armour isn't going to do diddly against a dragons halitosis {remember Dr Doom at the end of the first Fantastic 4 movie?})

Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #42
DrkVsr

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Of course, why do you think the ancient celts went into battle naked?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #43
Rijacki

Tester

DrkVsr wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Of course, why do you think the ancient celts went into battle naked?

Because they were as high as kites! They slathered woad over their skin which is a dermally absorbed antiseptic, anesthetic, and mild hulucinagen. Besides, it scared the Romans witless.

Can you imagine? Smaller statured fighters (males and females) sparsely dressed (naked could also refer to not wearing armor, not just not wearing clothes), patterns of blue painted on their bare skin, blueish-greenish-white spiked hair (slaked lime in their hair, punk mohawks have nothing on the descriptions of the Celts and Picts), little round shields (targs), and daggers running down a hill at you or attacking you from all sides on a wooded road. There is a real good reason the Romans built TWO walls between the "civilised" lower part of the British Isle and the wild north that they abandoned and too uncivilised. Combine this with the belief that what is now Ireland was the thought to be the island on the edge of the end of the world.. Superticious folk, the Romans were.. and the Celts and Picts just helped that along *laugh*.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #44
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

That's exactly the demotivational I was thinking about.  I just couldn't find it at the time on my pewter. 

Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #45
Zabjade

Loremaster

Smaller armor pieces are made of hard-to-find materials that can carry a magic bodyform shield better then the best plate of that tier. SMILEY

Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #46
Dramira
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

So I  was looking though some of the LON artwork and I have to say I LOVE the look of the armor on some of the females and would really like to see stuff like that actually make it into game for us to wear.

Some examples:

http://kerembeyit.deviantart.com/ar...p;qo=8#/d2ir29g

I like both the outfits in that one, but I think the blue one is my favorite

http://michael-c-hayes.deviantart.c...rrath&qo=48

http://thenightlight.deviantart.com...Bully-100376946

I know you can only see the back on this one but I think there's enough to get the idea

http://graysun-d.deviantart.com/art...-Dead-139804417

the cape has to be a part of this one

http://graysun-d.deviantart.com/art...blade-140578659

Thoes are just a few example of the absolutely amazing outfits that LON shows on female toons that we can't get in game.

PLEASE consider giving us some of these great outfits to wear in game, there would be so much more variety in the outfits you see running around.

AGREE AGREE AGREE timesINFINITY!!!!!

Ive wanted gorgeous looking armor since the game came out! And I always thought "wow even the LON artists know they need better looking armor in this game". 

I really dont see them doing this for us but oh I would LOVE it. I dont care if I need to get it with station cash. Plate armor is fine, but this is fantasy, we have hover discs, why cant we have BEAUTIFUL armor?

Dramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #47
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Just saw some of the images on Amazon, and let's just say: Skimpy is in SMILEYSMILEYSMILEYSMILEYSMILEYSMILEYSMILEY

But, ah don't recognize the species of elf they are using (the tattoos and hair just don't look like even what you find on barbies)

Looks like her kneepads moved up to her chest, and apart from some wraps on her arms, that's the only armour she is wearing on her top half (the bottom half isn't covered by much more either)

Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #48
WeatherMan

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I'd kind of like some gear like this:

That's pretty much a standard fantasy trope.  Unless you're in Norrath, of course.  Then you have neck-to-knees bathrobes or Starkist cans.  I apologize if I repeat something that was posted (I didn't bother reading most of the posts), but the title and 'Drifa's artwork were what caught my attention - of course, I have not yet seen an example of her art that I didn't approve of.

I like the examples this thread has given, and all of them (with the possible exception of the Demotivational poster) are quite tasteful.  None of the present outfits in Norrath can be described as racey or red-light faire, not even the festival garb or the Forest Assassin outfit (they are designed to be formal wear, after all - no one could logically label them as sleazy, if you take Tom Lehrer's word on the subject as gospel - which I do).  Norrath, sartorially speaking, is one of the most stilted and boring realms ever to grace the Multiverse.  There's so much that is positively enchanting about it, then you run into a wall of Boring at high velocity - with your face - when the topic is clothing.

Realize that anything of this proposed interesting nature will be Station Cash.  There is simply no way that SOE will pass up what would be sure to be a huge gold mine.  Remember Blissful Awareness (and yes, I am going to keep beating that dead horse, thanks for asking) - people at level cap (60 at the time) were coming from all over Norrath to the Caves to get a level 15-ish garment that any non-clothie could wear.  It was revealing without being sleazy, tasteful without being scandalous, and you couldn't finish the quests in the Caves for love nor money, because all of the level-capped folks in there trying to get their garment.  Of course, some made the decision to steal it from those who had earned it and replace it with the Taliban Potato Bag that some drug-whacked professor decided was a 'fair trade'.

While I myself do not have any female characters that would qualify to don nice garments like this, the missus most certainly does.  I think a little fantasy armor in our fantasy world would be rather nice.

- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #49
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Ah really should point out that it is not Norrath that has gone Puritant, but Norrath2.0, original EQ had good racial armour that did not have you encased head-to-foot in plate (the barbie uni-kilt and the she-barbie's corset tops the list), heck, halflings didn't even have shoes (ahhhh, the days of Hamburgler being the protectors of the Jumjum beating back the bumblebee-girls)

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #50
Iskandar

Loremaster

I always got a chuckle out of those Halfling guards in EQ1 -- you could say "Nice hat" to them and they'd launch into a little tale about the history and reason for them

Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #51
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Here's the link to the armour ah mentioned above: http://eq2.zam.com/Im/image/gallery/187282

The sword looks fantastic as well, but, is that some kind of shield on her left arm?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #52
Arweena69

Loremaster

For thoes that feel that the appearence armor in this game is to 'skimpy' that's fine and you're welcome to ask the Artists for some less revealing armor.

I however remember the look of EQ1 armor and the stuff avaliable in EQ2 covers a LOT more than the EQ1 stuff did.  Also I don't consider the same 2 dress in 150 some shades to be a lot of options.  I was a variety of styles, would I like that to be avaliable on some of the end game raid gear definately will I be happy if it only ends up as market place stuff yes. 

Honostly compared to any of the MMO's that I have played this one has got the most modest outfits avaliable and that makes me sad cause I know what the artists can think up and I would love to see it avaliable to players.

Arweena69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
Vantif

Loremaster

Sadly, I believe that SOE isnt really up to the creative task to develop such armors, its all about profit at this point in the game.  If they do, its more than likely it will be posted on SC at a charge of $20 /sigh

Vantif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #54
Eugam

Loremaster

Vantif wrote:

Sadly, I believe that SOE isnt really up to the creative task to develop such armors, its all about profit at this point in the game.  If they do, its more than likely it will be posted on SC at a charge of $20 /sigh

There are some very nice female armors/cloth ingame. The texture painter does a good job lately. For example the Kerra questgiver for the daily solo mark has a nice texture. SF has many nice textures. Not all my taste, but nice. There is room to improve, but still a good job.

What female character need most atm is a [Removed for Content] slider. Its beyond insane. I looted a few nice chest items i d like to use as appearance. But not with those B's.  The female models have very thin legs already. I guess due to armor models. However, their bodies are out of proportion and as we all know its symetry and proportion. And in anime and comics some females have big B's for a reason. It is part of their character. But in EQ2 we are forced...

I am not prude. Just dont forget some kind of shoes on the "sexy" female outfits. There is no reason to go to cella and a few other places without shoes .  However, i d like to see some classic stuff too. Like below. Imagine it with leather/chain/cloth texture. Skirt could be short, midi and long. And did i mention shoes/boots/flip-flops/something on the feet  ?

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #55
tigressb

Loremaster

Dug through some old screenshots and found the blissful armor top for giggles -

I remember getting this done on all my toons at the time.  You'd think that would tell them something about what a lot of people want.

tigressb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #56
WeatherMan

Loremaster

Dug through some old screenshots and found the blissful armor top for giggles -

I remember getting this done on all my toons at the time.  You'd think that would tell them something about what a lot of people want.

The Blissful Awareness - this is what I was harping on earlier in the thread.  Look at all the 'graphics issues' this garment has...yeah, sure.  Graphics issue...and monkeys will fly out my .

That's right - whoever came up with the 'irreparable graphics issue' excuse (and that's what they called it) is either completely ignorant of the fact that SOE has fixed a lot worse, or is a flat-out liar.  That was the excuse they told Moorgard to give us, and it was obvious that almost no one - including Moorgard - believed it.  And those that did give it any credibility stated without hesitation that they didn't care - they wanted to keep it.  But noooooo.  Never mind that literally everyone who had gone to get this item didn't care about the 'graphics issue' - SOE just had to remove it.

Despite not having any toons that have this garment (although no toon has this garment any more, admittedly), the idea that SOE would bend the player base over and pump until it bled is just infuriating to me.  This was one of the incidents that highlights their long, continual loss of ethics.  If they're willing to steal this on such a pathetically flimsy pretext, what else are they willing to steal?

- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #57
Titigabe

Loremaster

DrkVsr wrote:

Here's the link to the armour ah mentioned above: http://eq2.zam.com/Im/image/gallery/187282

The sword looks fantastic as well, but, is that some kind of shield on her left arm?

Is the armor the girl is wearing something players will be able to wear when Velious launch or is it just a mob design? Because I know that mobs usally get better looking armors than those players can have (example: Crushbone Orcs!)

Titigabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #58
Arweena69

Loremaster

Eugam wrote:

What female character need most atm is a [Removed for Content] slider. Its beyond insane. I looted a few nice chest items i d like to use as appearance. But not with those B's.  The female models have very thin legs already. I guess due to armor models. However, their bodies are out of proportion and as we all know its symetry and proportion. And in anime and comics some females have big B's for a reason. It is part of their character. But in EQ2 we are forced...

I totally agree on the B slider, cause on most of the models they are to small for the toons frame.  As for the shoes I could go either way on it, would they be nice yes, are they necessary IMO no.

Arweena69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #59
Seidhkona

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Eugam wrote:

I totally agree on the B slider, cause on most of the models they are to small for the toons frame.  As for the shoes I could go either way on it, would they be nice yes, are they necessary IMO no.

Are you insane? The bazoombas on everything except Iksar and Ratonga women are vastly oversized. Only the silicon-enhanced normally have breastage the same size as their heads! My Halasian girls haven't seen their own feet since puberty!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #60
Khiara
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Soul Garden

Loremaster

" />

I'm so BAD with getting pics to load in right **sigh**  This is one of my girls from Warhammer Online..needless to say she's Destro ie badgirl lol  But I LOOOOOVE the outfits they have

" />

My other bad girl...to show not ALL have to be skanky...Love this look too Devs PLEEEEEEEASE note the LONG HAIR too

" />

One of my "good" girls...Love this look to ...all armor is able to be COLOR CUSTOMIZED too

As we see here with the red look on my Dwarf Engineer...again devs NOTE THE HAIR

" />

" />

" />