EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Guide Events
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #61
Zaesxx

Guide

I's can't speaks for the program as a wholes, but things are always changings! If you's think something should be changed abouts the program you can e-mail your feedback to [email protected] or [email protected]

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #62
Vendraen

Loremaster

I have applied. SMILEY

I was a Guide in EQ1, on Saryrn, under GM Mheii. SMILEY Good times, good times.  Would love to do it for EQ2.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #63
Kryvak
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Undercon

Loremaster

In the FAQ it says 

Q:   When do I get a free play account?
A:   

Once a volunteer reaches the status of Guide their play account may be flagged as exempt

Does this mean that after becoming a guide my normal account is free?

Usual Suspects

Everfrost
Kryvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #64
Kryvak

Loremaster

Any approx. time for getting application results back?

Usual Suspects

Everfrost
Old 05-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #65
Nuhus

Loremaster

Yes, what they are talking about is your normal account. I'd guess the time it takes to hear back would be at max a month, but likely dependant on their application load. Who know, you might hear something from them very soon. Good luck! SMILEY

Nuhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #66
Kryvak

Loremaster

Thx for the info, just got the email today, I made it

Usual Suspects

Everfrost
Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #67
Nuhus

Loremaster

Congrats! SMILEY

Nuhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #68
Kryvak

Loremaster

As I said before, got my application accepted, the email said I would be contacted by a Senior Guide on a server in need of guides, been over a week and haven't gotten anything.

Usual Suspects

Everfrost
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #69
Mairlianaxx

Guide

[email protected] wrote:

As I said before, got my application accepted, the email said I would be contacted by a Senior Guide on a server in need of guides, been over a week and haven't gotten anything.

It can take a couple weeks once you find out you've been accepted. I advise patience! It took 3 weeks for me to be placed and the Senior to contact me way back when. *smiles*

Not sure if you've gotten the e-mail yet! I hope so! Being a Guide is great fun and I love seeing new faces in the program.

Nektulos Server

To Apply to the Guide Program & For Guide news and information: http://forums.station.sony.com/station/forums/list.m?category_id=44
Mairlianaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #70
Enna

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

... but the tools you're given are a tad archaic and unwieldy.

I used to be a Guide in EQ-1, a few years ago (then I wandered into EQII, and RL went nuts, and... well... *sigh*).

Sounds like there may still be some confusion about the differences between volunteer Guides and paid SOE employees.

Anything remotely personal or sensitive is probably still limited to paid employees, so that well-meaning volunteers can't blunder in and mess up anything important.    This would include things like development / updates of items and tools, technical issues, spawning or loot table adjustments, tickets, account / billing issues, etc.

The main thing Guides could do was entertain. This was mostly role-playing or running quests to add more variety to our play time. Most rewards were usually "fluff" -- since Guide appearances are about extra fun, and not about replacing NPC quests or standard in-game progressions. In other words: if you don't expect hardcore "phat lewts" from Guides, then you're less likely to be disappointed. You may even be pleasantly surprised!

(Current Guide folks, please feel free to correct any out-of-date info where needed!)

By the way -- I'm guessing that there are no Guides on PvP servers for the same reason that Kiara had troubles when she wanted to hand out Anniversary gifts last year. She could not hand out anything to anyone on the PvP servers, because the players kept slaying her avatar. There's not much point in having volunteers on a server where all they'd accomplish is getting slaughtered.

We player types can always /feedback our ideas... I've seen a few things that I politely requested appear in-game about a year later... so I know that it can happen! 

Since I enjoy Guides when I can catch them, I have a request based on my own experiences:

Please don't burn out our current Guides by expecting GM-level abilities from them, mmmkay?

Thanks, and have a nice day. SMILEY

*hugs to all the volunteers, and to their fearless leader*

Old 06-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #71
Ryleth

Guide

Come on back Enna!  

That's a fairly accurate post regarding "GM's" and "Volunteer Guides".  

You're correct, Guides do not offer support on the PvP servers due to dynamic of the server =/

And yep!  We loves feedback!!  *hugs back!*

Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #72
Sharakari
Server: Unrest
Guild: Shadovar

Loremaster

Ryleth wrote:

Come on back Enna!  

That's a fairly accurate post regarding "GM's" and "Volunteer Guides".  

You're correct, Guides do not offer support on the PvP servers due to dynamic of the server =/

And yep!  We loves feedback!!  *hugs back!*

Ryleth!  It seems someone forgot to transfer the Unrest Guide Event thread to the new forums!  SMILEY

Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #73
Squeecha

Senior Guide

[email protected] wrote:

Ryleth!  It seems someone forgot to transfer the Unrest Guide Event thread to the new forums! 

Nopes. None of them transferred. And I just hasn't gotten around to makings a new one here yet.

Let me sees what I can does today.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #74
Cynith
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Havok

Loremaster

Ryleth wrote:

Just currious as I no longer do the PvP thing but, don't PvP servers have places where a guide could run an event or interract with the community with immunity? Inside city walls or TS docks or something like that? They don't HAVE to stand out in the middle of Commonlands or Antonica, subject to being slain - or is there something else I'm missing?

Most of the guides I've interracted with on the regular servers have been in the city.

Cynith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #75
Sharakari
Server: Unrest
Guild: Shadovar

Loremaster

Squeecha wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Ryleth!  It seems someone forgot to transfer the Unrest Guide Event thread to the new forums! 

Nopes. None of them transferred. And I just hasn't gotten around to makings a new one here yet.

Let me sees what I can does today.

Thanks.  It was really a joke because I hadn't seen Ryleth post in awhile (hence the wink)..... but it would be nice to see the guides back in Norrath on Unrest.  It's been a little while.  SMILEY

Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #76
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Oh the Guides hasn't gone anywhere.

Ryleth has been busy doing other thingses so she's not on Unrest right nows, but me and the rest of the folks has been chugging right along. I've been on the server every night this week myself, and the others have been doing quests as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #77
Ryleth

Guide

Awws!  I misses you guys too!  As the mouse said, I've been super busy but hope to one day to return (or at least visit) the Unrestians. 

Keep your eyes open, I'm sure Squeecha or another Unrestian will oblige the wandering eyes seeking questful stuffs!!

>huggles<

Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #78
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Ryleth wrote:

Just currious as I no longer do the PvP thing but, don't PvP servers have places where a guide could run an event or interract with the community with immunity? Inside city walls or TS docks or something like that? They don't HAVE to stand out in the middle of Commonlands or Antonica, subject to being slain - or is there something else I'm missing?

Most of the guides I've interracted with on the regular servers have been in the city.

As to they why we isn't on PvP, well them is the rules handed down by SOE.

But as to your second part, most Guides actually don't hang out just in the cities. You may just notice them more there because you aren't busy looking at monsters or running across a zone to get to dungeon. For example, of the last several nights, I have spent more time out in Antonica and Commonlands than I have in the cities, not to mention time in Mara, Frostfang, Enchanted Lands, Lavastorm, and others. But most folks are more spread out in the wilds, so they may not notice Guides quite so much.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #79
MoiraesFate

Loremaster

Curious... how many guides are there? 

MoiraesFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #80
Squeecha

Senior Guide

It varies by server.. and over time as folks comes and goes.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #81
Leiloki

Loremaster

Hello there.

I've been trying to re-apply to be a guide, but it will not let be because I was a guide in EQ1.  I sent off an email to the address and have heard nothing back yet.  Any idea on where to go next?  Thanks!

Leiloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #82
MoiraesFate

Loremaster

Squeecha wrote:

What are the chances of being accepted?

And are guides prevented from doing anything as a guide? Like taking part in special events or the like? (example: when you're an employee of a place and you aren't allowed to enter a contest your business is having because you work there)

Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #83
Squeecha

Senior Guide

MoiraesFate wrote:

Squeecha wrote:

What are the chances of being accepted?

And are guides prevented from doing anything as a guide? Like taking part in special events or the like? (example: when you're an employee of a place and you aren't allowed to enter a contest your business is having because you work there)

That depends on the individual. It's like asking what the chances of passing a driving test are, or what the chances are of driving from NY to California without getting lost once.

As far as prevented.. we aren't SOE employees so such a thing wouldn't apply to Sony contests. And we are very careful to maintain a strict separation between our Guide characters and our play ones, so it isn't like someone were to enter, say, the current blogging contest for Fan Faire as their Guide character or saying how they were a Guide also. If there were a contest or some such, and I wanted to enter it, I likely could, but it wouldn't be as Squeecha, it would be as my play character.So there's no real conflict to entering such contests if you are a Guide, and no benefit to being one for them either.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #84
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Hello there.

I've been trying to re-apply to be a guide, but it will not let be because I was a guide in EQ1.  I sent off an email to the address and have heard nothing back yet.  Any idea on where to go next?  Thanks!

It takes time. But check your PM's.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #85
Eveningsong

Tester

I was told by someone once that accounts that are flagged as guide accounts do not qualify for the monthly free LON booster packs, is that true or has it since changed?

Eveningsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #86
Barx
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Eveningsong wrote:

I was told by someone once that accounts that are flagged as guide accounts do not qualify for the monthly free LON booster packs, is that true or has it since changed?

To my knowledge, exempt accounts from any source are also exempt from the free LoN packs and some other promos, yes.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #87
MoiraesFate

Loremaster

Thanks Squeecha. I've been debating volunteering. I play pretty much every day anyway, and usually a couple hours a day. I don't see why it would be a problem to help some people out a couple hours a week.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #88
Leety
Guild: Voodoo

Loremaster

Have you guys given any thought to revising the processes for guiding? There is SO much potential there for it to be a fun exerience but the tools youre given are a tad archaic and unwieldy.

This.

I was in the guide program for a month or two.  This is the reason I left. Details to follow.

Hearing that we could write quests, that was awesome.  Then I found out it can take multiple years to get it approved. The quests that were on the approved list when I was in the program were, frankly, not that good. On the server I was on it was the same 2 or 3 in rotation because the others were either too long, or too required too many actors, or what ever the reason it was.

All of the quests were for level 10-20ish players, which might be good from time to time but the bulk of the people I see on non RP servers are much higher that that.

At the time we could maybe make zone wide emotes to hint at an event in adjascent zones if there was little to no interest...but with people tradeskilling in guild halls and what not there was no way to get word out.

Strange limits on where we could or could not go.  I can understand no raid zones, no instances...but the list, last time I saw it, was so random in nature that if it wasn't in at launch, the other app guides had to check to see what was clear.

Add to this that in my over 6 years of playing I have seen guides in game maybe twice.  I played EQ1 in a raiding guild up to Anguish, I have played EQ2 since 2004.  I joined the program with 100% enthusiasm, but my hands were tied up so tight I could hardly even pick my nose.  I guides that I met were awesome.  They were doing more than I would have thought possible with what they were given.  But overall I got the feeling that SOE only had a guide program to keep the few people interested in it quiet, giving just the minimum required to get a job done. 

I know this post will not change anything, but maybe it will stop someone else from joining the program running at full speed only to hit the wall of red tape and knock themselves out.

And to those guides I worked with (who I can't name, for guide program rules reasons), keep up the amazing work, and watch out for the chocolate fountains.

Leety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #89
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Sounds like it's been a good while since you were in.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #90
Barx
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Have you guys given any thought to revising the processes for guiding? There is SO much potential there for it to be a fun exerience but the tools youre given are a tad archaic and unwieldy.

This.

I was in the guide program for a month or two.  This is the reason I left. Details to follow.

Hearing that we could write quests, that was awesome.  Then I found out it can take multiple years to get it approved. The quests that were on the approved list when I was in the program were, frankly, not that good. On the server I was on it was the same 2 or 3 in rotation because the others were either too long, or too required too many actors, or what ever the reason it was.

All of the quests were for level 10-20ish players, which might be good from time to time but the bulk of the people I see on non RP servers are much higher that that.

At the time we could maybe make zone wide emotes to hint at an event in adjascent zones if there was little to no interest...but with people tradeskilling in guild halls and what not there was no way to get word out.

Strange limits on where we could or could not go.  I can understand no raid zones, no instances...but the list, last time I saw it, was so random in nature that if it wasn't in at launch, the other app guides had to check to see what was clear.

Add to this that in my over 6 years of playing I have seen guides in game maybe twice.  I played EQ1 in a raiding guild up to Anguish, I have played EQ2 since 2004.  I joined the program with 100% enthusiasm, but my hands were tied up so tight I could hardly even pick my nose.  I guides that I met were awesome.  They were doing more than I would have thought possible with what they were given.  But overall I got the feeling that SOE only had a guide program to keep the few people interested in it quiet, giving just the minimum required to get a job done. 

I know this post will not change anything, but maybe it will stop someone else from joining the program running at full speed only to hit the wall of red tape and knock themselves out.

And to those guides I worked with (who I can't name, for guide program rules reasons), keep up the amazing work, and watch out for the chocolate fountains.

You must not be looking hard enough. I've done probably 15-20 or more guide quests, a little under half of which were ones I found out about through the AB guide thread and the rest I found out either by being lucky and being in the zone when they were being run (maybe 10% max) or through other players saying that a quest was being run (often in crafting chat).

They're there, but you have to look for them and, to some extent, be lucky.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote