EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
MurFalad

Loremaster

Me personally, Plan A

1. Fix the graphics engine.  EQ2's greatest asset right now is its huge collection of art and animation files, they have more detail and better animations in most of their art then newer MMO's launching today, especially when rendered with a better engine (as shader 3.0 showed).  Porting them to a newer engine or fixing the current engine (no idea how easy either is, but the shader 3.0 showed what can be done) is a must.
  2. Relaunch the game with a reset, have an expansion where players get to through some epic storyline (raid end points earn some progress into what is effectively the new game).  Have them lost in the void or something and then thrust into this new world 500 years in the future.  Give them a benefit like earning up to say 20 more AA that is a headstart over true newbie players at least for the first year until the first expansion catches everyone up and then go from there.
  3. Use the relaunch to fix itemisation, diversify class play styles (maybe let players who transition reroll or shift to different architypes) and rebuild the world out of already created art assets where needed, seamless would be nice but only as long as it doesn't mean 20m max visible object range!  64 bit client would be great.
  4. Profit, a new game which is massive in scale and detail, but costing far less to develop then a new game from scratch and with an instant user base (and only one dev team needed).

I actually originally wanted EQNext to be the next thing to EQ2, but since they've gone down a different art direction I think there is a lot of space for a EQ2Next as above.

Plan B

1. Endless trial up to level 50 with various paid unlockers to get there (unlock BG access, unlock DF, unlock AA limits etc, a few dollars here and there - real micro transactions), basically F2P lite.
  2. Get EQ2 into stores at least online, and retail for expac launches.
  3. Advertise a bit here and there.
  4. Shader 3.0 (at least) upgrade with the client really optimised for it.  With newer graphics cards dropping shader 1.0/2.0 I don't see any options here.
  5. Re-level the 50-90 experience down to perhaps 10 or 20 levels (widen it so there are multiple paths there).
  6. Fix mentoring so that players new to the game actually feel they have a role in a group with a high level player in it.

The last one I have definitely first hand seen have a negative effect on new players whether they find they have nothing to do as healers, ineffective as DPS or cannot hold aggro as tanks, basically it kills off grouping.

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #32
agnott

Loremaster

Add and revamp the F2P system across all severs.

• The full version of the game is free to play no restrictions whatsoever.
  • Drop the experience rate substantially. (broderline cruel)
  • Sell long lasting cheap experience potions that brings you back to the current experience level.
  • The postions become a "pay as you go" type payment system. 
agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
MurFalad

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Advertising 7 year old games doesn't pay huge rewards. 

Blizzard apparently disagrees, judging by the constant presence of WoW F2P linkies littering the 'Net.

I wouldn't draw many comparisons to Wow.  It is its own animal and what works for Wow doesn't necesarily work for any other MMO.  And when your sitting in hot tubs filled with cash heated by cash burning stoves, burning money on advertising isn't much of a concern.  Blizzard has publicly admitted their advertising campaign isn't cost effective (they spend more than they bring in) in getting new players.

My guess then is the advertising is there more to mantain their huge size which sort of gives them a critical mass.

The way I see it is that WoW in its advertising combined with its sheer userbase size (friends inviting friends) more often then not gets the truly new to MMO players.  Competing with that seems daft unless the game is really innovative (which Rift clearly isn't, yet they are advertising on par with WoW and have a carbon copy game).

But that does not stop players looking for more, or something better.  That's why I'd plan with the idea of a new player for EQ2 not being necessarily new to MMO's but someone instead looking for something either different or deeper, I'd say with so many races, a vast world and its far more complex customisation EQ2 fulfills that one.

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #34
LardLord

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

The game needs to be rewarding, fun and challenging from 1-90 OR they need to let people start at level 90.

Currently a new player would have to dedicate 2-3 months getting his first toon to 90 while spending the majority of his time solo and then they realize that they learned absolutely nothing on their way to 90 and basically have to relearn how to play eq2.

Yeah, no one coming into the game without 2-3 friends is going to find it enjoyable at all compared to competing products.  I haven't played EQ2x, but I doubt the higher population from F2P even helps much because I think you probably need a set group to make the simple, dated content in the lower levels fun.

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote