EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Katz

Loremaster

There are 9,963 online users: 66 registered, 9,897 guest(s)  

I'm tired of having to login over and over and over and over.   Looks like close to 10,000 agree me at the time I started this thread.   Can't we set it back like other forums where you aren't logged out unless you wan't to be logged out?

Edit:

And before someone comes in and says, geezzz just login constantly, it isn't that hard.  I find myself reading a question from a new player that I would have answered, and deciding to forget it because I'll have to login to answer.   It makes the forums less populated with people.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Iad

Loremaster

It sure is annoying, especially with an authenticator. I'm starting to believe that SoE wants it to be annoying so fewer people bother to log in to post. lol

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Wizardlord
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Acolytes of Valor

Loremaster

Wizardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Karrane1

Tester

Extremely annoying.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
SpineDoc

Loremaster

Katz wrote:

I'm tired of having to login over and over and over and over.   Looks like close to 10,000 agree me at the time I started this thread.   Can't we set it back like other forums where you aren't logged out unless you wan't to be logged out?

Edit:

And before someone comes in and says, geezzz just login constantly, it isn't that hard.  I find myself reading a question from a new player that I would have answered, and deciding to forget it because I'll have to login to answer.   It makes the forums less populated with people.

+1.  PLEASE changes this back.  You know this game is overly  micromanaged when you can actually stay logged into the Station Launcher itself forever, but you get autologged off the forums every 3 hours.  Shouldn't the game itself be harder to login to maliciously than the forums?

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Katsi

Loremaster

One of the things that I have noted, and my home IT support agrees with - The less we imput our login information the more secure it is.

By having that information 'always on,' such as is with the current, non-security code, log in window for the game, we are reducing the posibility of the key loggers stealing the information.

Now, I can understand if one logs in from multiple sources, that each time the source isn't recognized that a log in request should happen.  But if one has a primary computer/source for logging in, then multiple log in's should not be required.

... in my opinion.  

~ Cerilynn

In loving memory of my RL Best Friend who was known here as Djenchla, Djenchri, Moreless, Chai, Debacle, and many others. 02/27/09
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
feldon30

Fansite Staff

It's been 3 months since I did this article. No response:

SOE Forums Go For Security Theater

I’ve been administrating forums for 12 years. This is the first forum I’ve used that has a standard policy of logging you out every 3 hours.

The industry standard is 14 days. That’s Google, Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Every forum I’ve ever set up or dealt with (I participate in about a dozen) actually allows you to stay logged in 30-90 days on a cookie. To date I’ve never seen a security problem on a forum that resulted from the cookie’s duration being “too long”.

Requiring a login multiple times a day DECREASES security because if a malicious zero-day keylogger program slips past your Anti-spyware prevention on your PC, it’s far more likely to grab your SOE/Station password because of how frequently you are having to type it.

Thanks for the muscle memories, SOE...

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
Brigh

Loremaster

I don't type out my pw. I copy/paste it from Windows 7's sticky notes program or a text file. This way it was only typed once and the only access is through a strong password on my locked desktop. I also have the key fob so they only get the numbers it gives me after I copy/paste.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Zeedlana

Augur

I stopped visiting the forums last week because I would suddenly no longer be logged in a minute after I had just done so. If this craptastic current system can't even keep me logged in long enough to read the first few messages in a thread, something's wrong.

Not to mention it gives me a 404 error that it can't load the page after I put in my name & password...but if I hit the back button I'm all logged in for however long the crazy gremlins allow me to be. Which in the case of this morning is longer than all of last week combined.

Antonia Bayle -

Orpiment - Iskar Necro - Decorator junkie lizard

-- Meat Pie Emporium

-- Honeymoon in Neriak
Zeedlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Caster_III

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

It's been 3 months since I did this article. No response:

SOE Forums Go For Security Theater

I’ve been administrating forums for 12 years. This is the first forum I’ve used that has a standard policy of logging you out every 3 hours.

The industry standard is 14 days. That’s Google, Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Every forum I’ve ever set up or dealt with (I participate in about a dozen) actually allows you to stay logged in 30-90 days on a cookie. To date I’ve never seen a security problem on a forum that resulted from the cookie’s duration being “too long”.

Requiring a login multiple times a day DECREASES security because if a malicious zero-day keylogger program slips past your Anti-spyware prevention on your PC, it’s far more likely to grab your SOE/Station password because of how frequently you are having to type it.

Thanks for the muscle memories, SOE...

^^^this.

Add to it that  NO forum I've ever participated in either as organizer or user fails to return you to the post you were reading when you decided to login.

It's absolutely a failure to return the login to the top page of the forums, requiring the reader to drill down to the forum, the article and finally the page to find the post to reply.

It's not difficult programming.  It's rudimentary to any forum designer, and it's absence telegraphs an amateur at work, assigned to a task they are unable to do, without supervision or review.    Or perhaps the supervisor doesn't know how either.

Caster_III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
d1anaw

Loremaster

I was just thinking this same thing as I was logging in this am.

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Lempo

Loremaster

Caster_III wrote:

^^^this.

Add to it that  NO forum I've ever participated in either as organizer or user fails to return you to the post you were reading when you decided to login.

It's absolutely a failure to return the login to the top page of the forums, requiring the reader to drill down to the forum, the article and finally the page to find the post to reply.

It's not difficult programming.  It's rudimentary to any forum designer, and it's absence telegraphs an amateur at work, assigned to a task they are unable to do, without supervision or review.    Or perhaps the supervisor doesn't know how either.

It actually seems to be worse today, I have been logged out 3 or 4 times with less than 30 minutes of inactivity, browser remains open of course.

Returning people to the post they were on when presented with a login window is as has been said the defacto standard, and it has been mentioned time and time againto them on these threads concerning this topic. It is rudimentary to implement, I don't know if it was ever here on these forums, but wasn't a problem until this person that deems himself (or herself) to have an inkling of an idea about security decided to take a wrecking ball to something that didn't need to be touched. It requires changing 1 line of code in the log-in template to return the user to the referring URL, that's it ONE LINE.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Zorvan

Loremaster

It's fairly easy to understand.

If SOE can't sell it for an outrageous amount of SC, it's of no importance to them.

Forums will stay as-is.

Zorvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
SpineDoc

Loremaster

Just to add not only does the station launcher retain your username and password FOREVER, the webpage for our SOE accounts also retains your username and password FOREVER!!

Does anyone elselon the forums sometimes feel as if they are in the movie Idiocracy? 

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Gaeablock

Journeyman

I'm with Zorvan on this one.  Sony has very blatantly taken a "minimum to no effort unless Station Cash" approach to the game.  If they cannot monetize it, they don't care whether or not you like it.

Gaeablock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
yadlajoi

Loremaster

i m pretty the 9k+ people you see are the people that SOE-MOD# banned in the last months or so..
yadlajoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
Caela

Loremaster

It is certainly highly annoying.  So I tend to stay away from the forums.  Of course that's a good thing - I like the game better when I'm not reading all the complaints on the forum.

But, my solution has been to use LastPass - I now have the login screen bookmarked and LastPass will autolog me in every time I go to my bookmark.

I use this method for many sites that make me log in each time I visit.

Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Katz

Loremaster

There are 11,659 online users: 89 registered, 11,570 guest(s) 

Guess I could resort to using LastPass but mostly I find myself visiting the forums less and less.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
Cloudrat

Tester

Iad wrote:

It sure is annoying, especially with an authenticator. I'm starting to believe that SoE wants it to be annoying so fewer people bother to log in to post. lol

Sure seems that way sometimes.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Xianthia

Loremaster

There's been so many things that have been going on with forums lately (for me), getting logged out while actually viewing a topic, loading real slow, seeing a thread you'd possibly want to reply and log-in to have to search for that thread again because it can't even keep that page up... that's just three of them.  Is this being worked on for a fix, is it even viewed as issues to be fixed?

It's very frustrating and time consumming.  I've cut down a lot of time on forums because of the issues on just being able to use them.

Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Xianthia wrote:

I've cut down a lot of time on forums because of the issues on just being able to use them.

I wonder if someone at SOE is thinking "Mission accomplished!"

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Ahlana

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Xianthia wrote:

I've cut down a lot of time on forums because of the issues on just being able to use them.

I wonder if someone at SOE is thinking "Mission accomplished!"

+1

Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Morrias
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

There's a reason I no longer post here. (Though maybe SoE is happy I don't post anymore..)

It's BEYOND annoying and BEYOND unsecure, how a company that has had numerous security issues in the past can't focus on security and user safety is completely beyond me.

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

the forums over all in the last 8 months have turned to crap. the logging you out after just loggin in is anoying but ive been having other problems too.

opening a thread will randomly log you out, the forums  not loading at all on some browsers " mainly chrome ".  its like they got the forums hosted on 20 year old hardware running on a 56k modem or something.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #25
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

They would have to get Virago to do it. However i doubt they will because they always have an excuse when people ask. This is an annoying issue they need to deal with.

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #26
Morrias
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

Oh I was wondering if I was the only one getting a blank page instead of logging in correctly. 

Sometimes just clicking threads gives me a blank page as well.

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:58 AM   #27
Senvares

Loremaster

Katz wrote:

Edit:

even though it may be annoying it does help prevent account theft, most accounts on the forums is your account you log into EQ with and i really wouldn't want someone stealing that information. It doesn't bother me at all just because i understand the reason for it.

Senvares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #28
Virrago

Community Relations

Senvares wrote:

even though it may be annoying it does help prevent account theft, most accounts on the forums is your account you log into EQ with and i really wouldn't want someone stealing that information. It doesn't bother me at all just because i understand the reason for it.

It is irritating though. Especially if your job requires you to be logged in for 10 hours a day. I hate relogging in every 3 hours. It's much better then the 20 minutes it was set at though.

Community Relations Manager

Forum Administrator

Sony Online Entertainment LLC
Virrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #29
Hennyo

Loremaster

Virrago wrote:

Senvares wrote:

It is irritating though. Especially if your job requires you to be logged in for 10 hours a day. I hate relogging in every 3 hours. It's much better then the 20 minutes it was set at though.

Yeah, I remember that, write a long post, and then hit submit to only have it eaten by the web browser because you were "logged off", oh wow that was annoying.

Hennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #30
Geothe

Loremaster

Senvares wrote:

The way it is currently is actually WORSE for account security!Having to type in your login credentials  multiple times per day is absolutely horrid, accidentially get a key logger and it greatly increases the probability your game account will be compromised.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote