EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #121
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

The population seems even more thinned out.

Skyshrine content is not really keeping people occupied. My guild died over it, actually.

Many will die from it this summer.  I've posted repeatedly about the progression issues and/or lack of content to do as a result of Skyshrine itemization.

There are over a dozen threads on the issue, but there is no response from SoE anywhere on any of their communication mediums.  Its a complete 'blackout' as far as what players are supposed to actually do in their game for the next 8 months.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #122
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

I've been online for about 2 1/2 hours, and I've seen MAYBE 2 groups form up.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #123
Regolas

Loremaster

Population has seemed to taken a hit on Splitpaw after the double xp weekend. But then I do play off peak. Seems everyone burnt out over the weekend and is having a few days off. I know I'm in trouble though as leveling my alt over the weekend has made me enjoy it even more and I can't decide which to play! Too much to do, so little time!
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #124
Rendoir

Loremaster

yes there it is time.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #125
Starack

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Its a complete 'blackout' as far as what players are supposed to actually do in their game for the next 8 months.

This is not directed at you, one easy interpretation is 'Leave, we are done, you should be too!'.

Sadly Skyshrine is actually boring and unimagitive when it comes to raid scripts, the same complaint is easily leveled at base Velious content, the only difference being, Skyshrine was so easy that it just got boring mid pull on the first pull for pretty much all the names where as Velious had ridiculously over the top requirements to be beatable to the point of being painfu/annoying and thus not fun.

Between the fall out from the Prosieben thing and loosing a bunch of EU friends and this utterly boring drivel for raid content, and frankly it feels ten or hundred times worse for the new solo, molo and group stuff, I am in the 'I'm done with this game camp'. For now I still log in to raid with friends, but I don't see that lasting much longer, if I wanted to have a 30+ way yak yak in vent I can do that without the game and be just as entertained.

There are other MMOs out there and like many am sure, taking or have already taken our custom else where. I'll miss my friends more the game at this point and that really says it all, game is not fun any more. I used to play 250+ hrs a month at one time with this game, always stuff to do and being able to do it, now, I just log in to raid or farm some stuff or make temp consumables etc before raid for adorns and that number is more like 25-30 hours a month. If I did not raid, I probably would only log in 20 minutes a month, just to see who friend wise is still in game and felt like chatting.

Grats SoE, you pretty much killed your own game faster. The market place isn't the 'game' I want to play, so if that part is woking out for you, more power to you.

Starack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #126
Raffir

Loremaster

Atan wrote:

Its a complete 'blackout' as far as what players are supposed to actually do in their game for the next 8 months.

If you actually think that?  In a game of this size?  It might be time to move on anyway.  Some of you guys have been playing this for years, I know.  But if your only source of pleasure are the infrequent GU's?....jus sayin

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #127
japanfour

Loremaster

SOE is and will continue to cash in on the one thing that wont die in this game, all of your friendships that you have made in eq2. Thats right, they know you will still play even though you hate the game. We all need to realize this already and do something about it or stick around.

japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #128
d1anaw

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Until they do away with the grouping penalties, and go away from group zones being mini-raids with raid style mechanics, grouping will continue to be dead regardless of how many people are on the server.

They continue to listen to and cater to raiders, and you are seeing the results.

Funny, maybe they listen to soloers, tradeskillers and decorators too much? 

Really? You mean like trying to force pure tradeskillers out of the game? Like forcing everyone to have a certain amount of AA to level even if they prefer not to raid? You mean like that?

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #129
Yimway

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Until they do away with the grouping penalties, and go away from group zones being mini-raids with raid style mechanics, grouping will continue to be dead regardless of how many people are on the server.

They continue to listen to and cater to raiders, and you are seeing the results.

Funny, maybe they listen to soloers, tradeskillers and decorators too much? 

Really? You mean like trying to force pure tradeskillers out of the game? Like forcing everyone to have a certain amount of AA to level even if they prefer not to raid? You mean like that?

I think you missed the sarcasm in that statement.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #130
Yimway

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

Atan wrote:

If you actually think that?  In a game of this size?  It might be time to move on anyway.  Some of you guys have been playing this for years, I know.  But if your only source of pleasure are the infrequent GU's?....jus sayin

Raf

Yes, for the veterans of this game, its only whats available to do at the top that keeps them playing.  Raiding guilds generally have a 3-5 day a week schedule of regular play time.   If there is no content for us to do on that schedule, or the content available isn't remotely rewarding or fun, people will leave in droves.

Which is already happening, and very quickly all of us playing *that* game will no longer have the critical mass (enough people to reasonably fill a raid) to continue playing at all.

I think SoE's data is too far behind the ball on this, as they can only see who is logging in, they don't hear the sentiments of those logging in and how many are only doing it out of a sense of commitment to their friends.  And 10+ years of guild management tells me the amount of time someone logs in just out of commitment and not enjoyment is 1-6 weeks tops.   The % of players I would label in that category currently is higher than I've ever seen it in any game I've ever played.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #131
Gilasil

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

Brigh wrote:

I'd say yes, purge names and merge down to three servers, AB, Freeport, and Nagafen. Oh and the PSS1 derp server of course.

I would prefer one "server" to rule them all, ala Eve Online.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Because the lag on the servers isn't bad enough as it is....

If Eve-Online can find a way to use all their equipment to make a one-world server, I'm sure Sony can too.

Such games probably have server code designed for such scalability from the beginning.  I very much doubt EQ2 does.  It's not a failing of EQ2, just that it wasn't designed that way from the beginning.  It was designed for a bunch of smaller servers.  You can't do that kind of thing without designing and building for it.  Doing it now might require a rewrite of the EQ2 server code which, needless to say, ain't going to happen.

In any event, anyone not an SoE server programmer can say definitively that it's possible; although I suspect it's not since there would have been no reason to write their code that way and many reasons not to.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #132
Vinyard

Loremaster

So Skyshrine has been out since April, it is now August.

New Qeynos has been out for a...week? Not even?

What's population looking like for everyone.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #133
Raknid

Loremaster

So Skyshrine has been out since April, it is now August.

New Qeynos has been out for a...week? Not even?

What's population looking like for everyone.

Trending down.

But wait..."it's summer."

Then...

When everyone gets back in school it will be...

"Kids are back in school."

Supporters will continue to trot out the same old excuses, seasonal or otherwise, to gloss over the fact that SOE is running the game in the ground because of two primary things:

1) Lack of long term planning.

2) Lack of followthrough and polish.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #134
Vinyard

Loremaster

It seems you only get a small opportunity to do any group play these days...mainly primetime.

After that, AB goes absolutely silent.

8 people currently in the Qeynos capital district....5 in Skyshrine....Chat hasn't moved in about a good hour.

Once again, I need to say this. As an MMO, you should have activity at all playtimes. I would rather see ~3 Full servers than ~10 medium.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #135
Gealaen_Gaiamancer

Loremaster

After that, AB goes absolutely silent.

They're all in Champion's Respite or a BG.  I see a lot of AB's in the BGs every night.  They go "thee" and "thou" when you kill them.    In addition to cross-server BG-ing (which I very much enjoy--it's so nice to run into folks from the other servers* and kil...interact with them) it'd be nice to see cross-server instanced dungeon grouping.  Sure, it's not a "fix" but it might be a suitable bandaid.

*Also worth noting, I've enjoyed running into folks who I've seen on the forums here in BGs, too.  I teamed up with and against Atan a few times, and Lizabethan just last night.  Cross-server grouping (in BGs) is a lot of fun.

Gealaen_Gaiamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #136
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Yes. It's time for some of the lower pop servers to be merged.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #137
Vinyard

Loremaster

Honestly. Would it be bad to have just two servers?

PvE and PvP?

I'm sure they have the hardware to support all of the population on Two servers.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #138
Vinyard

Loremaster

On AB, /who all 92 is giving me...40 people right now.

Low level zones, one group are actually doing a challenge zone, others are in houses and guild halls.

Yes I understand people are anon/rp and won't show up...but still. 40...that's too low.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #139
Volimor
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Decay

Loremaster

I don't see how a server merge would solve any of the problems SOE faces.  Soe started making mistakes back towards the end of ROK.  They put an item out that was hard to obtain, but towards the end of the expansion they caved in and made it easier to others to obtain. 

Now I understand for the sake of progression something like this needed to be done, however they didn't stop there.  They intraduced tokens, shards ect.  Thus making it a lot easier then to recieve gear without really working for it.  This continued to happen for a few expansions, making it to where one person could farm for a week or so then be geared and do what ever they needed to without grouping. Which gave birth to the more active soler.

At the same time they dumbed down the raiding for a few expansions so that they could try to bring in more casual players into the raiding realm, however when they did that it bored the actual raid guilds (who would log on and group when they weren't raiding) to a point there numbers started to decline at a rapid point.  This in turn effected the casual players. 

So SOE's next though was lets toughen the raids and the instances back up to bring back the challenge and possibly bring back some older players and create a buzz about eq2, however this failed again.  The reason is two fold, the casual players who got use to recieving gear easily were now frustrated that it was geared to the raiders, the players who started during what I call the hand out stage of SOE never seen this much challenge, and didn't know how to adapt thus cuasing them to go else where.  For the raiders the challenges of the raids didn't equal the rewards, and the insane setups SOE required was nuts. 

Thus more players left.  Now we have cookie cutter raid zones, instances, and both sides aren't happy.  Either doing the same thing as a raider over and over to not get anywhere, or standing around and waiting to find someone who wants to try one of the instances as a casual player where the instances can be more difficult, so again more leave. 

So this is where we are at.   This cycle will continue to happen unless SOE can figure out how to balance the game play for all types, but I honestly don't see that happening.  So more will leave.  Even if you merge the servers this will not stop players in the end from leaving it will put a temp band-aid on the problem but not fix it...

Soe look at the game at a whole, from raiders, cuasuals, tradeskillers and pvpers, try to find a way to fix each area without giving a slap in the face to the other, if you can do this more will play, if you can not more will leave and eq2 will just be an after thought to everyone else playing the next mmo. 

Volimor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #140
Jeepned2

Loremaster

Honestly. Would it be bad to have just two servers?

PvE and PvP?

I'm sure they have the hardware to support all of the population on Two servers.

They can't manage the chat lag we have now. Can't imagine how bad it would be with just two servers. Also raid and instant zones would bog down to almost unplayable. When you have 15 groups in the same named instance, it can be a nightmare like it used to be in the old raid zones when there were a ton of raiders in the game.

Jeepned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #141
Elebu
Guild: Ancient Prophecy

Loremaster

Do like DCUO did.  2 servers, 1 US PC and 1 US PS3 - but then, we don't have EQ2 PS3 so voila!  Only 1 server needed.

With modern hardware, infrastructure and VM's, I have a feeling that EQ2's overall US pop could be accomodated by logging into ONE server for everyone.

Of course none of us know those tasty population numbers for certain...but it sure feels 'empty'ish' now days.

Elebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #142
Vinyard

Loremaster

Currently only 77 people online, Nagafen Qeynos side.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #143
decator666

Champion

There are plenty of people on my server (crushbone).  Some days with the lag and such I wish there were more servers.

92 Carpenter

92 Weaponsmith

92 Woodworker

92 Tailor

92 Armorsmith

92 Scribe
decator666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #144
Drupal

Elder

thee's no point in merging now, wait till 40% of the players are off to Pss or quit, then we'll know which servers need merging.

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #145
Vinyard

Loremaster

Saturday afternoon and there are 0 groups going on in any channel.

This is not healthy.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #146
Wingrider01

Loremaster

This is not healthy.

did you try and start one?

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #147
Vinyard

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

This is not healthy.

did you try and start one?

No, for it was just an observance of server activity on AB.