EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
ZUES

So I'm done with beta testing, with exception of some raids. Here is an info dump on my personal thoughts in regards to Kunark Ascending. Below I highlight the areas I think players are going to be complaining about in the forums when KA launches.

Access: The mail that led to the sig line was fine. It eventually led me to the new content and I think it's well implemented. The problem is accessing it after that point. I feel that more needs to be done to shorten the travel time to and from Obulous Frontier. Perhaps adding a portal in Kylong Plains near the dock is better than the other two routes. I don't like having to fly around Thalumbra to get there. And going through old Kunark zones is just a "NO WAY" because of the flight time and scenic routes. Expect a LOT of complaints when KA launches. The forums will be on fire over this.

Signature line feedback: I'm very disappointed with the rewards. It was a very long and drawn out signature quest. I don't feel like we were rewarded for our efforts. Considering all the prereqs, slow spawn rates for updates and sheer volume of quests, I feel that this sig line deserves a best in slot item like ToT had. The prereqs and slow spawns are fine, as long as there is a reward versus effort. You've given me no reason to run this quest on my alts. As a result you've substantially diminished player retention during this expansion. People will get bored and leave until next expansion much sooner than they normally do.

The artwork: 5 stars! Thank you art team for all your hard work! The expansion looks amazing! Amror and weapons look really dull and boring though.

Itemization: I like the armor, that's it. Everything else, especially jewelry, feels like we are going backwards in progression. You gave us so much potency in Zek and especially Nizara. Now you're expecting us to go backwards and give up all that potency for resolve. I hate this.

No itemization thread and no end game gear visible in beta (with exception of the few mythical items on the faction merchant). Didn't we learn a lesson in ToT when you lost a ton of players over itemization? That stuff needs to be beta tested and feedback needs to be heard before the expansion goes live. Tragic mistake here.

Wards: I hate the 100% bleedthrough that is currently in beta. I don't even want to play my Defiler now.

Merc changes: Love it in theory. Gearing them up is an awesome concept. The problem is that most gear stats are not being applied to the merc. They are 100% useless in heroic and raids. Their heals are just about as useless as they were without gear. This has been poorly implemented. Two thumbs down. Why even gear them up if they're still useless? Very disappointed here. This was the single most sought after part of the expansion for me.

Ascension classes: I'm in the middle of the road. So much potential here. I'm disappointed the Ascension class Masters (and their questlines) were not beta tested. Upgrading levels is taking too long in my opinion. Hopefully these new class NPCs will actually level us up when we talk to them. I would like to have seen a signiture questline that introduced Ascension and geared mercs in this expansion. I would also have liked to have seen some zone mechanics that require certain ascension classes. It would have made for a fun expansion with that class dependency.

I really like how you guys put dungeons in old Kunark zones. It makes the expansion feel larger than what it is.

Class Feedback: I hate the class specific class changes (huh?). Giving a class a buff that only buffs certain classes? I hate that and I don't even play those classes. Swashbucklers have not gotten more attention in regards to raid desirability. How many expansions have to go buy before you unleash swashbucklers and encourage raid leaders to recruit them? In regards to Paladins and some other classes, what ever happened to shuffling the "flavor of the month". It was FUN! Seeing the same old classes on top of the parse and in raid slots is boring and I preferred the old way of rotating class desirability. It encourages alts and player retention (getting alts raid ready is time consuming).

Tradeskilling: Again with itemization. Player made jewelry is horrible due to the itty bitty potency and lack of fervor. It's made it so this stuff will never have marketability. You've given us no reason to make or buy player made jewelry. No now speed totems, poisons, scrolls, etc. Again, tradeskillers are left with a feeling of "all that hard work and nothing to show for it". This again effects player retention because you've given us no reason to do stuff on our alts. Alts = more subscription time.

No level 110. You guys, for whatever reason, have decided not to level us. Fine. Just give us a sense of feeling like we're earning something. The itemization has left me feeling like this is some kind of a game update versus an expansion.

Deity pets, AA buffs, etc. and even some mytical buffs from Epic Repercussions are still a major disappointment due to their low and irrelevant stats. This stuff is directly tied to epic 2.0 and should have been fixed to bring them in line with current gear and stats.

Despite the negative feedback on itemization I feel the expansion is worth the money. The biggest problem I see is players playing for a month and leaving until next expansion. There are only two potential reasons to stay after you've cleared the content. 1. Epic 2.0. And 2. Deity points. Other than that I see this as being a really fast expansion for many raiders. Due to the resolve requirement this will seriously effect smaller raid guilds and their ability to have enough raiders to actually do the raid zones. Retention will really hurt recruitment.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Drusi_EQ2

Thanks for the really great post!

I do have one question concerning what you said about the signature line.

Did the character you use to complete the KA signature have the ToT signature completed? I remember seeing something a while ago that the loot would be better if the ToT was completed. If you did complete it with this character and the loot is still bad, I can only imagine what those who didn't complete it are going to get!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
Winddragon

I guess that the main reason to do the sig line on multiple characters is to get ascension classes and the epic 2.0 on them, since the ascension classes require completion of the sig line to obtain.

Far as I know the sig line only gives you a mount and travel between thalumbra and obulus frontier(maybe an infuser as well, I forgot)as the actual reward(other than the ascension classes)
Old 11-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #4
ZUES

Yes that character completed ToT.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Occam

I don't remember which thread it was in, but one of the devs said that KA green adorns have not completly implemented yet, and that they WILL be better than current greens.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #6
Wurm

I ended up with a lot of potency with just the solo gear, It is spread out over a lot of pieces but it is there.
More importantly I was able to get a lot of other stats up as well.

[IMG]
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:17 AM   #7
Winddragon

Alot of items trade the potency for other stats, or trade other stats for high potency, at least that's what I've seen from beta.

If you want to get really high potency with this new gear you'll have to lose other stats to get it.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:19 AM   #8
Wurm

You get a choice between 3 rather ho-hum charms as well.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
Malahk

Good post, Zues. I agree with almost all of it. Especially the part about people coming back and playing it for a month and then leaving.

I didn't see any mention for green adorns here. I'm really disappointed with the KA green adorns and think they should resemble the RTT green adorn, and by that I mean MORE Ability Mod.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
ZUES

Thank you Malahk. I agree that the green adorns are pretty weak. And where is the resolve? If you want me to grind 100 levels on an adornment atleast give me a reason to.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Ashandra

Thank you for a very good post Zues .
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Anaranj

Agreed! Neither I'll play my mystic. Wards are the essence of shamans.
Anaranj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Wurm

Its 50% bleedthrough... it still sucks though.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
ZUES

No, it's 100% bleedthrough.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #15
Wurm

Nope 100% would mean the ward stops nothing. I had it explained to me in this thread.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-they-just-nerf-our-wards-to-oblivion.573316/
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
Nero

I would tend to lean toward the 50% bleed through as well.

If 20k damage comes in and 10k is warded with the other 10k bleeding, that sounds like 50% to me.

Am I reading that correctly?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Errrorr

50% Bleedthrough means 50% of the total damage by-passes wards.

100% Bleedthrough means 100% of the total damage by-passes wards.

Mobs have 50%. (Before you debuff them. Go go Templars).
Errrorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #18
ZUES

If that's the case they need to change the text. It's SO confusing! It should read...

"X mob hits you for 32,000,000 points of crushing damage but YOUR Carrion Warding absorbed 16,000,000 points of damage"
"X mob hits you for 16,000,000 points of crushing damage but YOUR Ancient Shroud absorbed 8,000,000 points of damage"
"X mob hits you for 8,000,000 points of crushing damage but YOUR Soul Shackle absorbed 4,000,000 points of damage"
"X mob hits attempts to hit you for 4,000,000 points of crushing damage but YOUR Soultemper successfully warded all damage"

Regardless of what % is bleeding through, I can barely keep people standing in heroics. As a shaman I just don't have the heals to keep people up. The wards are useless. Might as well just remove all wards from the game.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #19
Kander

Developer

The signature line does have a best in slot item, and it is in fact a best in slot item across the game. Its on the achievement/triumph, same as it was for ToT.

Also many items that are being rewarded, you will be able to purchase upgrades for from merchants, if you want the awesome version. We did not want to grant prestige items for these quests, unless you choose to go purchase them.

We'll be putting in a Kunark Ascending care package bauble for alts. Once you completed all the things, you can purchase this bauble on one of the merchants and it will give you all the pre-reqs, so you will not have to do them multiple times.It will grant languages that are required plus a pass past the Greenmist HQ.

However, if you want to best in slot item. You still need to do the work.
Kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
Kittybock

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #21
Malahk

Anyone know what this is?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
Kander

Developer

Anywhere that is a 100% is a bug. Please /bug it when you see it. That is a bug.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #23
Kander

Developer

Prestige upgrades to many of the end line quest rewards can be purchased from Sarya Val'Sara in Nye'Caelona.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #24
Vogie

Will this happen for the Epic 2.0 as well? Once we complete it on our mains will there be an Epic 1.0 Bauble so we don't have to trudge through the quests on all our alts?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #25
Nero

I doubt it.... cause what would the catch be?

In this instance, you can get the bauble, but you wont get the BiS reward.... So for Epic 2.0, if they were to make a baubble, then what you get? your Epic 1.5?

Just food for thought.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #26
Kander

Developer

Absolutely not.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #27
Winddragon

I'd like a definite answer on if we'll miss out on best in slot items on characters permanently if we don't do ToT sig line or use the package that lets us skip the language/HQ requirements on the sig line, or can we go back and do those then purchase the items we couldn't get cause of not doing the language/HQ requirements or the ToT sig line?
Old 11-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #28
Kander

Developer

They are most likely predicated to having finished the quests. They are there.

Yes the npc name changed. You get a cookie.

Yes, you have do the ToT line, and the Frillik Tide achievement, plus all other KA overland quests to get the BIS rewards.

The achievement you are talking about is not the Triumph.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #29
Kander

Developer

There is nothing permanent. We've made it so if you want to go back and do the work, the rewards are attainable, even after using the bauble to bypass things. If you do the work you get the rewards.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #30
Curmudgeon

Thank you. This avoids the pitfall of having thought you did everything but fail because of one obscure missing requirement on final turn in.

That being said, any piece intended for a tank should have mit, unless you went and got rid of that 75% strikethrough on bosses and 50% on trash. Block is close to being a trash stat now.