EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
oAnnihilatEo

Apprentice

i bought and installed the EQ2 Starter Pack (digital download) which is EQ2 4 Expansion Packs and 3 Adventure Packs the launcher did a 5 hour update and then started another 12 hour update, I would Just like to know if that will be the end of the updates or are there more for me to expect. Usually i am not a impatient person but i really want to play this game Thanks

oAnnihilatEo

oAnnihilatEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Elorah

Loremaster

Every time that Developers patch the game, you will have a small update to give.  The world is going down in about 2 minutes for an update to remove frostfell among other things.

I am not quite sure where you are ion the patching process, but the game was released in November.  If you installed Via discs, then you only have the last few months of updates and fixes.  If you are doing digital download for all of it, then it could take a while.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Rokaab

Loremaster

Well, the game is about 10-11 gig in size, so if youre downloading it all, then it could take a while.

If you are downloading it all, a good estimate on time would be to see how much youve got already in your folder, and then work it out from there.

Note that occassionally the patcher gets stuck on files at which point its an idea to stop and restart the download (it scans what you have so it wont download the same things twice).

Rokaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
oAnnihilatEo

Apprentice

Ok thanks Guys it looks like i will be waiting a long time before i play but i guess that gives me time to do a little reading up on things

oAnnihilatEo

Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Elorah

Loremaster

A few tips that may help the process go a bit faster...

[EQ2] Firewall and Proxy Information for EverQuest II

Also, firewalls may still try to protect you when disabled..  it is better to add the necessary files to the exception list.

If the patcher seems to get stuck on a certain file, close it down and start it back up.  It will pick up where it was before closing.  I have also heard that the Beta Launcher is faster...   Not sure though as I havent reinstalled with it before.

But it is a good idea doing some research before you start...  Look into the classes, races...  starting cities...  read the lore if you enjoy that aspect of the game.  Dont forget to stop by the Norrathian Homeshow to see some wonderful homes of Norrath and to see the creativity of the people within it SMILEY

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
oAnnihilatEo

Apprentice

if i try using the beta launcher would i have to reupdate everything i have allready done or would it carry on from where i stop it using the normal loader

Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Elorah

Loremaster

oAnnihilatEo wrote:

if i try using the beta launcher would i have to reupdate everything i have allready done or would it carry on from where i stop it using the normal loader

That, I am not exactly sure to be honest....  as I said, I have never used it.  I give that info out as I see others post it.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
ke'la

Loremaster

oAnnihilatEo wrote:

No it also scans your EQ2 folder and starts from what you have... I switch back and forth between the 2 patchers... as the BETA patcher seems to scan longer then the old patcher, so If I am fairly certain I am not downloading anything new, then I go with the old patcher.

Once the Beta patcher is done with it's scan it does download FAR faster then the old patcher... I did a full download in about 4hrs(for TSO) using the new patcher, on a medium speed Cable Broadband connection(Rated by Speedtest.net at about 2mb). You can get it from SoE's main website or click here. It also if you play other SoE Published Titles you can access them from this downloader too.

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
oAnnihilatEo

Apprentice

ok thanks with the beta launcher when it goes to 100% update that means that the game is playable yes? becasue the normal launcher would go to 100% then do it over again.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Satu
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Dynasty of the flame

Tester

When it gets to 100% it *should* be ready.  See if the connect button shows, if so, you are good to go, if not, you may want to re-launch it. 

I just downloaded the game myself (after being gone 6 or so months), and used the beta launcher.  I'm pretty sure it was ready when it popped to 100%

Satu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
oAnnihilatEo

Apprentice

ok thanks for the information

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
ke'la

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

When it gets to 100% it *should* be ready. See if the connect button shows, if so, you are good to go, if not, you may want to re-launch it.

I just downloaded the game myself (after being gone 6 or so months), and used the beta launcher. I'm pretty sure it was ready when it popped to 100%

Accually on the BETA patcher it changes from Scanning to Downloading then finally to Launch, then you can play the game.

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
DaFriar

Loremaster

The nice thing about the Station Launcher is you can set it to autmatically keep your games up to date. It's nice after you get the intial download started to just load the launcher when you go to bed at night (or morning).

Holy Meatshield

Master Alchemist
DaFriar is offline   Reply With Quote