EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

I am just curious if this very important aspect of the game will actually be fixed?

I haven't resisted a spell in so long it is silly. How can something that has that much of an impact on PVP gameplay be overlooked for so long? Heck even if they simply reduced incoming spell damage it would be nice, but they don't do anything.

I used to have gear just for fighitng casters.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Occording to the tooltip stamina increases the chance to outright resist a spell.

However, it was confirmed in PM's with our dev that this is not true and the tool-tip is wrong.

Good luck on this one.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

So a dev acknowledged it, yet it remains broken even though this seems like something that would be an urgent fix, and not too complicated to achieve. They already had wisdom as the primary stat that determined outright resists, how can it be that complex to change it to the stamina stat???

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Sasquatch

Lord
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 62
Default

If it does get fixed and you want to resist something you would have to roll a healer or maybe a mage then in order to get wisdom now. Since every class is dumbed down to 2 main stats and one of them being sta which ever class needs your are unable to achieve that so it would to sta that increases resist. But I miss when ever state benefited us in a way so everyone was unique.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Sasquatch wrote:

If it does get fixed and you want to resist something you would have to roll a healer or maybe a mage then in order to get wisdom now. Since every class is dumbed down to 2 main stats and one of them being sta which ever class needs your are unable to achieve that so it would to sta that increases resist. But I miss when ever state benefited us in a way so everyone was unique.

Dude, open your character window, hover over stamina, read the text.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Astornoth

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 83
Default

I sometimes got resist when I can group tount.It happens rather rearly but still ,the same when my tank made swings on other fighter in def stance.I almost never miises,bah even using arrows with -10% acc.Another word I thik resists got sacraficed as misses in new atempt of seeking balance.

Astornoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Actually, looking at my parses, the only people resisting spell casts are other mages.   There was a post about this a month or so ago.

Whatever the resist check is working off of, its clearly not published, and I doubt its working as intended.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

Astornoth wrote:

I sometimes got resist when I can group tount.It happens rather rearly but still ,the same when my tank made swings on other fighter in def stance.I almost never miises,bah even using arrows with -10% acc.Another word I thik resists got sacraficed as misses in new atempt of seeking balance.

Being in defensive stance doesn't mean that much, it only lowers you weapon skills by like 40, which can easily be overcompensated for by adornments. Or if you are a Warrior type, you can spec into it with AA. Besides a lot of tanks are silly and fight in BGs in offensive stance. And most wonder why the get owned so easily.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

Actually, looking at my parses, the only people resisting spell casts are other mages.   There was a post about this a month or so ago.

Whatever the resist check is working off of, its clearly not published, and I doubt its working as intended.

The last rumor I heard stated that the Disruption skill was checked for resists, but if that were the case my SK would resist stuff all the time.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Orthureon wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

Actually, looking at my parses, the only people resisting spell casts are other mages.   There was a post about this a month or so ago.

Whatever the resist check is working off of, its clearly not published, and I doubt its working as intended.

The last rumor I heard stated that the Disruption skill was checked for resists, but if that were the case my SK would resist stuff all the time.

Yeah, this was just a wild guess that seemed to answer why casters sometimes resist and no one else does, but i agree, I don't think that is actually what is happening.

It is a cunundrum, one that our dev is not interested in providing an answer to.  Which makes me suspect my orriginal hypothesis is correct, its simply not working as intended.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Exilon

Lord
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

Which makes me suspect my orriginal hypothesis is correct, its simply not working as intended.

Of course it is not working as intended, I think most people realize that. Including them, but for some reason they do not view it as a priority fix. Ah well they have dumbed down the game enough already, I guess removing resists in PVP just goes one step further.

Exilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
latesttoon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 59
Default

if they do fix resists, some groups with 2 healers will be unkillable.. and fights will last as long as someone goes LD.

They should just stop low lvl items working in high lvl pvp.. example.. lvl 43 fear/stifle proc gear.

also... Adding randomness like lots of resists means less player influenced wins/losses.. you then may aswell have all the CC and other Proc gear working if you want randomness... 

latesttoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

latesttoon wrote:

if they do fix resists, some groups with 2 healers will be unkillable.. and fights will last as long as someone goes LD.

They should just stop low lvl items working in high lvl pvp.. example.. lvl 43 fear/stifle proc gear.

also... Adding randomness like lots of resists means less player influenced wins/losses.. you then may aswell have all the CC and other Proc gear working if you want randomness... 

Healers are nearly invincible as it stands, adding resists will only help serve the other classes more.

On my Ranger when I get hit with every single spell someone casts - WITHOUT A CHANCE TO RESIST IT - and I miss a clothie (or they dodge) I get peeved. Especially when I have 25% PVP strikethrough and accuracy, with around 690 in my weaponskills.  Also, using gracelessness poison. on top of leading off with Snipe then Crippling Shot; total of around 150 defense reduction for the three.

I invest all this money and time into buying poisons, arrows with hit chance, reforging, and weaponry adornments so I can just do my job. Which is to DPS, but all this money is spent to prevent me missing every third CA on cloth wearing classes.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
latesttoon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 59
Default

Orthureon wrote:

latesttoon wrote:

if they do fix resists, some groups with 2 healers will be unkillable.. and fights will last as long as someone goes LD.

They should just stop low lvl items working in high lvl pvp.. example.. lvl 43 fear/stifle proc gear.

also... Adding randomness like lots of resists means less player influenced wins/losses.. you then may aswell have all the CC and other Proc gear working if you want randomness... 

Healers are nearly invincible as it stands, adding resists will only help serve the other classes more.

On my Ranger when I get hit with every single spell someone casts - WITHOUT A CHANCE TO RESIST IT - and I miss a clothie (or they dodge) I get peeved. Especially when I have 25% PVP strikethrough and accuracy, with around 690 in my weaponskills.  Also, using gracelessness poison. on top of leading off with Snipe then Crippling Shot; total of around 150 defense reduction for the three.

I invest all this money and time into buying poisons, arrows with hit chance, reforging, and weaponry adornments so I can just do my job. Which is to DPS, but all this money is spent to prevent me missing every third CA on cloth wearing classes.

i know what you are saying.. maybe vs a mage with a melee you are missing some hits but they are hitting all... (although your CA's shouldnt miss much)..

but.. what i am saying, is that if healers are "almost invincible now" as you say.. then adding resists to mages will make the healers even more invincible..

fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.

latesttoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

latesttoon wrote:

fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.

The issue is for tanks, there is jack all they can do to take less spell damage.  And since mitigating damage is one of their core compendencies, the lack of a resist mechanic is infuriating at best.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

they need to just implement a new stat called spell defense or something because using stamina or any stat of that sort will be almost impossible to balance since there is such a large spectrum of stats to be had by different play style of players.    i bet if this stat was fixed to work as intended in it's current version trying to kill some players would sound like a hand full of coins hitting a metal surface SMILEY

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

latesttoon wrote:

fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.

The issue is for tanks, there is jack all they can do to take less spell damage.  And since mitigating damage is one of their core compendencies, the lack of a resist mechanic is infuriating at best.

Yes very good point. on my Shadowknight I can hold my own against other melee classes and T1 scouts. But as soon as a spell caster comes along I am pretty much dead, especially a Warlock or Wizard with Manashield. Well unless I am lucky and have all my survival temps up. IE Crusader's faith, Death March, Legionnaire's Conviction, Divine Aura and Shadowknight's Furor (for increased damage output). And chain my knockbacks together, then it is still a game of me praying that I can interrupt them enough and hope their Manashield is down. Other casters I have a slightly better chance.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

Davngr1 wrote:

 i bet if this stat was fixed to work as intended in it's current version trying to kill some players would sound like a hand full of coins hitting a metal surface

Lol... Well perhaps work it another way. allow resists to absorb spell damage like they state they are supposed to when you hover over them, but lower the amount absorbed for PVP. Then add a spell defense stat like you say. Then people will have to actually spec for it to survive against casters. That way no one will be outright overpowered vs casters. I don't want to switch the spectrum of OP to another class, I simply want balance.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Orthureon wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

latesttoon wrote:

fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.

The issue is for tanks, there is jack all they can do to take less spell damage.  And since mitigating damage is one of their core compendencies, the lack of a resist mechanic is infuriating at best.

Yes very good point. on my Shadowknight I can hold my own against other melee classes and T1 scouts. But as soon as a spell caster comes along I am pretty much dead, especially a Warlock or Wizard with Manashield. Well unless I am lucky and have all my survival temps up. IE Crusader's faith, Death March, Legionnaire's Conviction, Divine Aura and Shadowknight's Furor (for increased damage output). And chain my knockbacks together, then it is still a game of me praying that I can interrupt them enough and hope their Manashield is down. Other casters I have a slightly better chance.

Heh of all my fighters, my SK is most equiped to survive a caster, and even then its not so awesome most of the time.  Try it on dare I say a guard.  But yes, tanks only being 'tanky' to physical attacks is in my opinion a big 'gap' in eq2 pvp.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
Orthureon

Loremaster
Orthureon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,073
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

latesttoon wrote:

fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.

The issue is for tanks, there is jack all they can do to take less spell damage.  And since mitigating damage is one of their core compendencies, the lack of a resist mechanic is infuriating at best.

Well when I was a Paladin it was quite a bit easier, though it still required a ton of luck...and curing. With the cure it could cut the dps down and remove Storming Tempest (which is completely op), coupled with 30% damage reduction from Devout Sacrament and 20% from Legionnaire's Conviction. And large heals. I think they are truly the only tanks equipped to at the very least survive a surprise attack from a caster.

__________________
NAGAFEN Server


  • DAEMIEN 92 Shadowknight

  • XEOS 92 Ranger

  • EXILON 92 Inquisitor.

Orthureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Jacquotte
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Verdict
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Jacquotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 483
Default

Orthureon wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

latesttoon wrote:

fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.

The issue is for tanks, there is jack all they can do to take less spell damage.  And since mitigating damage is one of their core compendencies, the lack of a resist mechanic is infuriating at best.

Well when I was a Paladin it was quite a bit easier, though it still required a ton of luck...and curing. With the cure it could cut the dps down and remove Storming Tempest (which is completely op), coupled with 30% damage reduction from Devout Sacrament and 20% from Legionnaire's Conviction. And large heals. I think they are truly the only tanks equipped to at the very least survive a surprise attack from a caster.

pumice stone .. no more magi shielding or manashield and a variety of defensive buffs .. mages become the butter they were supposed to be 

also, resists really need to be brought back to a more reasonable level - or A level even ^^

Jacquotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
latesttoon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 59
Default

maybe you are fighting mages with much better gear or better skill, and you have bad gear or bad skill?

I really cannot see a major issue..

you are a tank.. you fight a brigand for example.. you use your parry buff, you use divine aura if you have it (which works against spells anyway) and you have high block chance... so you can kill the scout... but, because you find it harder to kill a mage then there must be a problem??

Maybe the scout can kill a mage easy --- "swings and roundabouts" is the term we use.

you can't expect to be able to kil everyone, it's impossible.. and being able to kill a very good healer in a 1 v 1 has always been virtually impossible (except for maybe an assassin).. i'm not including just before the update when autoattack almost one shotted people.

What sort of tanks are you?(i mean that as a question, which class)...  if you are fighting a mage, knock him back as often as you can, dispell him if he uses some temp (by looking at his buffs), use divine aura, stun/stifle him, dispell him, make a mage spec maybe ..

you can't expect to be able to kill every class anyway .. and think about it.. you are a tank, your job in pvp is to taunt and have lots of HP... not to be able to easily kill every class in the game. If you want to kill everyone, make an assassin.

I could understand if maybe you are a guardian and complaining.

How do you think a scout feels when he attacks an SK who blocks 50% of attacks, then puts on some parry buff, then uses divine aura, while also putting out good dps.

Resists are fine .. but if you really had to have something, you could have a 10% chance to resist a spell on tank only.

across the board though, resists should not be a major factor again UNLESS heals are reduced.. as like i said, you could fight forever in a 6 v 6 fight.

edit: also i jsut reread.. when you had a paladin you could cure surging tempest so you could kill a wizard.. buy crafted potions, cure arcane.

latesttoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.