EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
KetaDreams

Loremaster

This may seem like a 'no brainer' to most players, but is there any confirmation that Age of Destiny will include past expansions like all previous releases have?

In the past, this question has always been easily answered and if I remember correctly, this information has been included with the tag-lines of past releases. For some reason though, I can't find any confirmation for Age of Destiny. I'm asking because I took a small break from the game and look forward to playing the Velious expansion, but if I just need to wait a bit over a month to get Velious included, I will.

But, you know what happens when you assume... can anyone confirm for sure if this expansion will do the same as the past 17 have?

KetaDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

This may seem like a 'no brainer' to most players, but is there any confirmation that Age of Destiny will include ANY CONTENT like all previous releases have?

In the past, this question has always been easily answered and if I remember correctly, this information has been included with the tag-lines of past releases. For some reason though, I can't find any confirmation for Age of Destiny. I'm asking because I took a small break from the game and look forward to playing the Velious expansion, but if I just need to wait a bit over a month to get Velious included, I will.

But, you know what happens when you assume... can anyone confirm for sure if this expansion will do the same as the past 17 have?

^^ Fixed

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
KetaDreams

Loremaster

Thanks for the laugh... but I'm actually looking for an answer to my question, or at the least some discussion about the question I asked. SMILEY

Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Nolrog

Loremaster

Expansions for the last few years have been "all in one" packs (including all previous expansions and adventure packs). It would be reasonable to assume that AoD would be the same, but I haven't seen anyone confirm this specifically.
Nolrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Deago

Loremaster

I thought it wasnt considered an "expansion" or was that changed? *shrugs*

Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Gorpier

Loremaster

That's how I understood it as well.  I could have misread but it seems I remember it saying Game Update:  Age of Destiny.  If that's the case, I'd think DoV would not be included.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Nolrog wrote:

Expansions for the last few years have been "all in one" packs (including all previous expansions and adventure packs). It would be reasonable to assume that AoD would be the same, but I haven't seen anyone confirm this specifically.

this next product from soe isn't a expansion at all. its actually less then we got when we bought the adventure packs , and the adventure packs didn't include anything other then the adventure pack content.

so i wouldn't be surprised at all if they did not include all past content with AoD.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Jrral

Loremaster

Gorpier wrote:

That's how I understood it as well.  I could have misread but it seems I remember it saying Game Update:  Age of Destiny.  If that's the case, I'd think DoV would not be included.

If it's a game update, then it won't be purchasable. From what I can find on EQ2Wire ( http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/23/everq...2-months-to-go/ ), AoD won't include any new actual content, it's all new mechanics and features. I'm wondering myself how they'll handle it, it doesn't look like the kind of thing people'll be enthusiastic about shelling out $40 for, OTOH they've said content will be rolled out in game updates and features/mechanics will be in expansions and expansions are traditionally what you've had to buy.

I wish there were some clarification about exactly how we'll get AoD and whether it'll cost us or not.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Felshades

Loremaster

Nolrog wrote:

You mean every expansion to date.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Felshades

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Gorpier wrote:

If it's a game update, then it won't be purchasable. From what I can find on EQ2Wire ( http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/23/everq...2-months-to-go/ ), AoD won't include any new actual content, it's all new mechanics and features. I'm wondering myself how they'll handle it, it doesn't look like the kind of thing people'll be enthusiastic about shelling out $40 for, OTOH they've said content will be rolled out in game updates and features/mechanics will be in expansions and expansions are traditionally what you've had to buy.

I wish there were some clarification about exactly how we'll get AoD and whether it'll cost us or not.

Yeah I'm not keen on spending 40 bucks on a few AA points, a class I likely won't play, and a few other fluff things I probably won't use.

But I'll be required to for the AA.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Grumble69

Loremaster

For the classes I play, the 50 AA won't make much of a difference.  I might go ahead and grind it out now though.  Otherwise the next expansion after AoD might add a new tree or some endlines as well as 50 more AA.  ...and the thought of having to grind 100 AAs sickens me.  ...but the idea of shelling out bucks for fluff just so I can stay ahead doesn't exactly make me want to get up & cheer either.  This is hands-down the least exciting expansion SOE has ever pursued.

So I'm actually hoping that it does not include prior expansions.  Maybe they will see how devoid it is and only charge $20 or so and regard it as more of an "adventure pack" (without the adventure).  Last thing I want is them to "tack in DoV" and feel compelled to charge full price.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
KetaDreams

Loremaster

Thanks everyone, for your input. You've stated my concerns quite nicely.

From what I've read on official announcements, they do intend to charge for this product. However, like many have said, they also state that it simply isn't a traditional expansion in that there is no new content (just as many of you have pointed out).

My dilemma is this: I simply want to know if I should go ahead and purchase DoV now, or can I wait to get it with AoD? It would really tick me off to wait over a month and end up having to get it, when I could have gotten it now. Hope that makes sense. SMILEY

Some input from the 'powers that be' on this would be very welcome. Oh, and some clarification for the masses, too.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Ansek

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Nolrog wrote:

Actually thats not true: Kingdom of Sky outside the US didn't include Desert of Flames. I remember being very annoyed cos the DVD came with a "Getting Started" leaflet that detailed how to install the base game and DoF as well as KoS - and then a lil bit of paper that said "Actually, ignore that - you need to buy the base game and DoF seperately to install them" - and I didn't have DoF.

Its the reason why there's a blip in the skill needed to harvest in T7 zones - it *should* be 290 to follow the pattern set up in T1-6 but as it was possible to have KoS and not DoF, thus making it possible to be unable to get your harvesting skills high enough to harvest in T7, the skill required was dropped to 250, and then to 240 with the launch of EoF. 

Can't remember when they started including adventure packs but I remember buying them on this account around the time of Kunark but cant find my RoK box to check to see if they were included then or with TSO. 

Ansek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Jrral

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

No, the first 5 expansions didn't give access to prior content. All-in-ones didn't start until after The Shadow Oddysey was released. It was primarily motivated by problems with content accessibility. Eg., one that hit a lot of people was guild hall mailboxes. Mailboxes could be set to any appearance including the Kelethin mailboxes from Echoes of Faydwer. But if you hadn't bought the EoF expansion, you didn't have access to the art assets for that mailbox appearance and couldn't see the mailboxes. After a lot of work, SOE decided the best way to solve the problem was just flag everybody who'd bought TSO for all the prior expansions, that way they wouldn't have to worry about who had access to which assets. That's also I think the reason that since TSO they've also been auto-flagging people for all expansions up to the one before the current one, whether they've bought those expansions or not (so when Destiny of Velious came out you got access up through Sentinel's Fate regardless of whether you'd purchased it or not).

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Rijacki

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

No, the first 5 expansions didn't give access to prior content. All-in-ones didn't start until after The Shadow Oddysey was released. It was primarily motivated by problems with content accessibility. Eg., one that hit a lot of people was guild hall mailboxes. Mailboxes could be set to any appearance including the Kelethin mailboxes from Echoes of Faydwer. But if you hadn't bought the EoF expansion, you didn't have access to the art assets for that mailbox appearance and couldn't see the mailboxes. After a lot of work, SOE decided the best way to solve the problem was just flag everybody who'd bought TSO for all the prior expansions, that way they wouldn't have to worry about who had access to which assets. That's also I think the reason that since TSO they've also been auto-flagging people for all expansions up to the one before the current one, whether they've bought those expansions or not (so when Destiny of Velious came out you got access up through Sentinel's Fate regardless of whether you'd purchased it or not).

It also makes it easier for new players. You can start the game at any point from TSO on without having to buy anything else and there is a single SKU so you can't accidentally get the wrong one. Expansions previous to TSO had two versions, an "all-in-one" and an expansion only which were priced the same (with the all-in-one coming out after the expansion only, I think).

Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Nolrog

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

I thought it wasnt considered an "expansion" or was that changed? *shrugs*

That's a different point all together. 

Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
Nolrog

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

Nolrog wrote:

this next product from soe isn't a expansion at all. its actually less then we got when we bought the adventure packs , and the adventure packs didn't include anything other then the adventure pack content.

so i wouldn't be surprised at all if they did not include all past content with AoD. 

True, not an expansion.  However, if they are going to charge expasion prices (yet to be seen as far as I know) then they should treat it as such.

IMO, they are walking a very very fine line here, that could very well turn into one of those disasters where Smed is apologizing for everything from Paris Hilton to NGE to the federal budget deficit. 

Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Nolrog

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Nolrog wrote:

Actually, I don't.  The first expasions for the game were not all-in-one packs.  That started a few years ago, though I don't remember exactly when.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
KetaDreams

Loremaster

Nolrog wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Nolrog wrote:

True, not an expansion.  However, if they are going to charge expasion prices (yet to be seen as far as I know) then they should treat it as such.

IMO, they are walking a very very fine line here, that could very well turn into one of those disasters where Smed is apologizing for everything from Paris Hilton to NGE to the federal budget deficit. 

I agree with you 100%. 

It would be nice to know... if they're planning on releasing it in a matter of weeks, we as paying customers ought to know by now what their intention is. It's driving me NUTS right now that I don't know for sure how they're going to handle it. It's ridiculous that we don't have this basic information.

*taps foot impatiently, hoping for some official comment*

Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
gourdon

Loremaster

There is supposed to be content in GU62, being the Freeport revamp.  They have stated that going forward content will be avaiable to all, while access to new game mechanics, namely advancement, will be based upon expansion purchases.

If there is a question about this being worse, it is a matter of whether there will be enough new content.  Have we been getting more content during 2011 than in the past?  Will a Freeport revamp be the equal of a full blown expansion?  What else will be added that is connected to Velious?

We are likely going into an era that more resembles TSO, in that very little of the new content is land mass.  Hopefully, that means that there will be new dungeons scattered across the world that enhance the whole.  I'm a little worried though that there just isn't going to be very much content going forward, though not as much so as those who think build your own dungeon is the content plan for the game.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Nijia
Server: Vox

Loremaster

I agree with you 100%. 

It would be nice to know... if they're planning on releasing it in a matter of weeks, we as paying customers ought to know by now what their intention is. It's driving me NUTS right now that I don't know for sure how they're going to handle it. It's ridiculous that we don't have this basic information.

*taps foot impatiently, hoping for some official comment*

I was in the same boat.

They must be overloaded with work at the moment and to have no information at this point means it will probably be late, or be in a state that you're not going to want to play it at release anyway. Just look at how buggy the Dungeon Finder is. Mercenaries will almost certainly take months to become a solid, bug free feature. And to think they're working on a Dungeon Builder that I never see  anyone even discuss on here... and this.. and that... they're going in 10000 directions.

So if I were you I'd take the plunge like I did and just go buy DoV on Steam it's on of the cheaper versions I think.

Nijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #22
Felshades

Loremaster

Ansek wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Nolrog wrote:

Actually thats not true: Kingdom of Sky outside the US didn't include Desert of Flames. I remember being very annoyed cos the DVD came with a "Getting Started" leaflet that detailed how to install the base game and DoF as well as KoS - and then a lil bit of paper that said "Actually, ignore that - you need to buy the base game and DoF seperately to install them" - and I didn't have DoF.

Its the reason why there's a blip in the skill needed to harvest in T7 zones - it *should* be 290 to follow the pattern set up in T1-6 but as it was possible to have KoS and not DoF, thus making it possible to be unable to get your harvesting skills high enough to harvest in T7, the skill required was dropped to 250, and then to 240 with the launch of EoF. 

Can't remember when they started including adventure packs but I remember buying them on this account around the time of Kunark but cant find my RoK box to check to see if they were included then or with TSO. 

I don't buy the stuff outside the US. I downloaded KoS the day it was released, so I didn't get a boxed edition. Already had the DoF expansion. Ex of mine did, and his version did include DoF.

They started adding the adventure packs I want to say around Kunark, because the last one was released in T7.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #23
ffd700

Lord

Nolrog wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Nolrog wrote:

Coming soon to the marketplace, a Paris Hilton pet that follows you around saying, "That's hot."

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #24
SOE-MOD-04

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50011...post_id=5642382 Removed for trolling
SOE-MOD-04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #25
theriatis

Loremaster

Hi,

if i remember correctly, you pay for the Expansion, get all the Fluff, Mechanics, AA, Revamps etc. and the Content isbrought out in the Game Updates. This Content, which is designed for the Expansion, is also only accessible if you bought the Expansion.

So seems it is like a "real" Expansion, but cut off between Content (which you get via Game Updates ONLY if you bought it) and Everything Else (which you get the instant you buy and install it).

Regards, Theriatis.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #26
xxFlukexx

Loremaster

I'm afraid you are not going to get a red response here because the average SOE employee cannot make promises or speak for the whole company. We're just going to have to wait for the big announcements and such. Which could take days or weeks or even a month.

I would expect this x-pac to be treated as all the other x-pacs since TSO which means it would include all previous content. Just because there is no new areas in the next x-pac doesn't mean that anything else will be different.

That being said I think DoV is a great x-pac even when purchased now and well worth the $24 DL price at amazon.

xxFlukexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

They must be overloaded with work at the moment and to have no information at this point

Marketing is undoubtedly keeping a tight leash on the EQ2 team as they work out exclusive interview deals with MMO websites you've never heard of on the off chance that a few MMO tourists will stumble onto these interviews and take a second look. Meanwhile the websites that support EQ2 day in and day out will get shut out.

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #28
Eugam

Loremaster

Thanks for the laugh... but I'm actually looking for an answer to my question, or at the least some discussion about the question I asked.

Most probably yes. They did so the last few times.

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #29
Nolrog

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

They must be overloaded with work at the moment and to have no information at this point

Marketing is undoubtedly keeping a tight leash on the EQ2 team as they work out exclusive interview deals with MMO websites you've never heard of on the off chance that a few MMO tourists will stumble onto these interviews and take a second look. Meanwhile the websites that support EQ2 day in and day out will get shut out.

I have a much more cynical look Feldon.  They are keeping a tight wrap on it so people don't realize it's not an expansion and will still shell out 40 bucks for things we should get free.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
Nijia
Server: Vox

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised.

I feel your pain, feldon.

Although, to be frank while I really enjoy your blog and your articles are very well thought out, they seem to me to be too involved and /or personal views on the game. So you can not really be seen by the publisher in the same boat as a MMO News site who are not so concerned with exposing the real state of the game.

I would even argue that there is a place for both. Sometimes I want to read one of those MMO news site (more like a quick news check on my ipad) and I dont' want to hear about all the problems. Sometimes I want the more in depth information that you write that help me understand where things came from or how the "veteran" players see the game.

With that said, even when Smedley in an interview reckoned that they made a mistake to limit game data to partners like Zam; they did not change their ways did they? They must feel feel it's worthwhile at this point, or simply can not do it once the contracts have been put in place?

Nijia is offline   Reply With Quote