EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
thesiren

Loremaster

Does anyone here read Massively.com's weekly EQ2 column, The Tattered Notebook?  Karen Bryan appears to be a long-time EQ2 player hailing from Guk who has some interesting insights into the other side of the EQ2 fence this week....

It's worth a read.

Massively.com's new Tattered Notebook article

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Nijia
Server: Vox

Loremaster

I also think it was a mistake to split the servers.

EverQuest II is not WoW, or any other MMO for that matter. It's trong because it's unique, and so is the player base, it's unique.

Nijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Deago

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

EverQuest II is not WoW, or any other MMO for that matter. It's trong because it's unique, and so is the player base, it's unique.

Would you really like to into how the eq2 playerbase is 'unique?' SMILEY  It could hurt some feelings SMILEY  j/k

Old 09-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Lethe5683

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Hardly.  If they had made the entire game free to play and forced their rules onto everyone than many people would have quit.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
gourdon

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Hardly.  If they had made the entire game free to play and forced their rules onto everyone than many people would have quit.

I think the guys at Turbine have a much better idea of how many people quit as a result of going free to play than just about anyone.  They contend the number is low.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
sick720

Loremaster

yeah but then they didnt force it onto the regular servers did they? if they had forced that crap on me, id have definately quit.

sick720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Trojenn
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

The way it should of been implemented is the same way it has been iterated time and time again. I think they should have put it on live servers but kept the same restrictions unless they either subscribed or bought a platinum package. It would have boosted population across all servers and the only way to officially advance to end game is to either subscribe or buy the top package.

Trojenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
Mandaline

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

yeah but then they didnt force it onto the regular servers did they? if they had forced that crap on me, id have definately quit.

Yes, they did. All servers are F2P since september 2010 (LoTRO). DDO went F2P a year before.

Mandaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Elomort

Loremaster

Interesting article, especially as it's written by a person who is known to anti-EQ2X in the past.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
Hamervelder

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

The way it should of been implemented is the same way it has been iterated time and time again. I think they should have put it on live servers but kept the same restrictions unless they either subscribed or bought a platinum package. It would have boosted population across all servers and the only way to officially advance to end game is to either subscribe or buy the top package.

The more I think about it, the more I also think that this would have been the way to go.  I loathe the marketplace and F2P schemes in general, but if decent players come into the game via the F2P model, then so be it.  It's doubtful that the rabble (which are probably a minute part of the F2P population anyway) which most of us feared would infest the game due to F2P would make it to the endgame anyway, and therefore probably wouldn't even be a blip on the radar for a good part of the population.

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
theriatis

Loremaster

Hi,

from my perspective, thats simple:

I could live with F2P on Live Servers, if...

- Just restrictions to the normal gameplay (Only 4 Bags, only xx Amount of Plat).- Lowering Restricitions like they do on Freeport (pay xx $, get Silver Status)- Gold Status = Subscription, as in Live.- The same things to buy on Marketplace as on Live, not the stuff you get on Freeport.

And the Last part is the important part. If the only difference on live servers between theLive and F2P Folks is the Access to content, F2P could also be on live a success.But most people fear that with F2P on live, things like armor, weapons, fabled equip willalso get introduced to buy on the Marketplace.

Regards, theriatis.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Elomort

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It's doubtful that the rabble (which are probably a minute part of the F2P population anyway) which most of us feared would infest the game due to F2P would make it to the endgame anyway, and therefore probably wouldn't even be a blip on the radar for a good part of the population.

There are not that many unwashed rabble. There are a lot of nice people though. Our 1-9 really isn't much different, maybe comparing it to Butcherblock a little nicer.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
Crismorn

Loremaster

Comments are right on the $, $10 is all it takes to play this game forever on eq2x for all non raiders to 90.

It will be nice to see how SoE shapes SC and sub levels in the future for this rather common occurance on eq2x

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Nijia
Server: Vox

Loremaster

theriatis wrote:

- The same things to buy on Marketplace as on Live, not the stuff you get on Freeport.

What can you buy on EQ2X that is not on live Marketplace?

Nijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Dragmar

Philosopher

[email protected] wrote:

theriatis wrote:

- The same things to buy on Marketplace as on Live, not the stuff you get on Freeport.

rare harvests ,  master crafted armor , research reduction potions .  I actualy like the f2p server but play on live cause thats where my friends are , think about it . If you cant pay for the month because of what ever reason you can still play , but on live if you cant pay then thats it you cant log in till you do .

Dragmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

theriatis wrote:

Rares, fullpower potion, full health potions, instakill clickies, etc...

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

theriatis wrote:

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Category%3A...Items_%28EQ2%29

Though I'm sure we're missing a few things. The short version: quite a bit.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Eugam

Loremaster

Dragmar wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

theriatis wrote:

rare harvests ,  master crafted armor , research reduction potions .  I actualy like the f2p server but play on live cause thats where my friends are , think about it . If you cant pay for the month because of what ever reason you can still play , but on live if you cant pay then thats it you cant log in till you do .

But you cant identify loot, right ?

EQ2x is definetly not setup for people in a difficult monetary situation. If they wanted to be social they would only account online time like 50 cent divided by 24 hours is 2.03 cent per hour. Its the other way round, its set up for people with more money then brain. A vitality potion for 950 SC could be called racketeering in my country and could be viewed at as boderline illegal over here. 

If SOE wants to jump the bandwagon, then they should do it on dedicated servers or a new game. Similar to EQ1 the EQ2 game never should have been NGE'd. Its a shame and SOE should have known it after SWG. I really dont get it why the decission makers hate EQ2. I mean it was Verants baby and it was and to a degree still is a very good game with its own flavor. Personally i wouldnt revamp it but restore it, this would be the better strategy for the "Life after WOW". Well, maybe they are the same.. spending more money then they have actually SMILEY

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
Dolgorath

Lord

That list is outdated. Mastercraft armor was pulled a few months back from the station cash shop and has not been put back. The only differences between live is being able to buy common/rare harvest materials, research reduction potions, health potions, normal backpacks [up to 24 slot] and health potions. The so called "instant death" wand is a useless waste of station cash imo, only works on normal non epic mobs.

I used to play EQ2 back in 2007 and while enjoyable I was still too entrenched in WoW to stay. EQ2X convinced me to give the game a second shot and since then I have stuck around and enjoy it. =] While I currently don't have an active gold subscription, as really theres no need for one till you hit 90, i have spent quite a bit on stuff like mounts.

I really don't think having craft materials on the SC shop really hurts anyone. The items are tagged heirloom an can't be transfered and resold, and the market for craft resources on the broker is thriving because in reality, why pay REAL money for stuff you can get for ingame gold/platinum?

Dolgorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
Rijacki

Tester

gourdon wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I think the guys at Turbine have a much better idea of how many people quit as a result of going free to play than just about anyone.  They contend the number is low.

LotRO and DDO had also only been out a year or two when they went F2P. EQ2X was introduced when EQ2 had been out 6 years. The player base for LotRO and DDO were/are a lot different than that for EQ2, a slightly younger demographic, perhaps one which had been exposed to more F2P games and that game style since the rise of F2P games had occured mainly between EQ2's launch and theirs. Also, both of those games had fewer players to lose when they converted. (and LotRO did a hugh advertising blitz when they changed over, including advertising on Hulu and TV.)

Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
BixxbyIndestructible

Loremaster

LOTRO and DDO are also much more friendly for actually playing for free (you can earn their version of station cash playing the game). EQ2's version is a giant money toilet.

BixxbyIndestructible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
thesiren

Loremaster

Rijacki wrote:

LotRO and DDO had also only been out a year or two when they went F2P.

No, actually, DDO launched in Feb. 2006 and LoTRO in spring of 2007, so they'd been up and running for years before their respective F2P conversions as well.  And at the time of the conversions, their forums were both on fire with supposed rage-quitters and snobs who didn't want to be in with the "unwashed masses."   However, few players ultimately left those games at all and they're both booming now.  

So when Turbine spoke at PAX recently and told other devs not to be afraid that people would quit if they went F2P with their own MMOs, because in actuality most players do not really leave, they knew what they were talking about.  They also held up EQ2x's free population segragation as an example of what not to do.  Funcom, when they first brought out their new F2P version of Age of Conan:  Unchained, actually stated similarly negative opinions about EQ2x's server segregation, saying they purposefully merged F2P into their own existing servers to boost populations on ALL servers instead of just on one.

City of Heroes, which is in the midst of its VIP preview of CoH:  Freedom (its new F2P CoH conversion), is merging all of its existing servers into F2P servers as well.  They have added one new server called Exalted, too, though, that only those who pay a sub have access to.  We'll see how that works out, but I expect that all the F2P servers will finally be booming again.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
Cloudrat

Tester

Lethe5683 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

That is just supposition not backed up by any facts.  I don't believe anyone who loves the game would have left , the way it plays  wouldn't have been any different for us who pay monthly anyway.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
Lethe5683

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would sooner quit than be forced to play on a server where people can pay to cheat.  Also making assumptions as to what would happen to eq2 based on what happened to other, vastly different games does not make sense.

Cloudrat wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

That is just supposition not backed up by any facts.  I don't believe anyone who loves the game would have left , the way it plays  wouldn't have been any different for us who pay monthly anyway.

Assumption is the only information that can be used, accurate or not, since EQ2 did not go FTP on their live servers.  Comparing data from results in other games is perhaps even more erroneous than making reasonable assumptions and definitely more accurate than obviously untrue statements like what I highlighted above.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #25
ffd700

Lord

I've played on Live since launch and thought I would try the F2P server just to see what it's all about.

First, I don't know why those who are already paying $15 a month for a Live subscription aren't automatically upgraded to Gold status on the F2P server.  And vice versa, I don't understand why someone with a Gold membership isn't given the option to roll a toon on the Live servers, since they are very similar plans.  Although the Gold membership only has access to 4 races, which seems odd to me.

Second, I haven't played any other F2P games so I can't compare, but it seems like the things on the marketplace to unlock for Bronze and Silver are pretty pricey.  Even for a Gold member to have to pay $7.50 to unlock a race, when a Live subscriber gets all the races for the same monthly fee, that does sound a bit sketchy to me.

I was able to get my new character to level 20 though without having to purchase anything from the marketplace.  The starter bag was big enough where I didn't require more than 2 bags while questing in TD as long as I visited the vendors fairly often.

I guess I just don't see the appeal for playing on the F2P server, as I'm not one to use the marketplace at all anyway.  I'm still of the mindset that paying them a monthly fee should be enough for them to produce original content.

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
Cloudrat

Tester

Lethe5683 wrote:

gourdon wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would sooner quit than be forced to play on a server where people can pay to cheat.

Roflmao first, I reject your definition of cheating.  Second, pretending you haven't been playing on servers where your definition of cheating isn't happening on a daily basis since launch is a bit naive.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Cloudrat wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would sooner quit than be forced to play on a server where people can pay to cheat.

Roflmao first, I reject your definition of cheating.  Second, pretending you haven't been playing on servers where your definition of cheating isn't happening on a daily basis since launch is a bit naive.

First, good for you.  Second, I assume you are referring to the illegitimate RMT that happens on any server in any MMO; this cannot be controlled and is nowhere near as prevalent as what would be caused by having SOE endorsed cheating. Finally there are also things available via SC that cannot be obtained on normal server is any way short of hacking the game and/or servers.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
Felshades

Loremaster

Only way I'd play on a server with the free to play guys is if I was allowed to keep my subscription option with NO RESTRICTONS.

Last I'd checked, even if you were paying the 15/mo package, you were still limited to what you could do. That's BS imo.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #29
Psykotic
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Edge of Eternity

Lord

Lethe5683 wrote:

Cloudrat wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

First, good for you.  Second, I assume you are referring to the illegitimate RMT that happens on any server in any MMO; this cannot be controlled and is nowhere near as prevalent as what would be caused by having SOE endorsed cheating. Finally there are also things available via SC that cannot be obtained on normal server is any way short of hacking the game and/or servers.

Considering that financial analysts have estimated MMO RMT to have achieved a net revenue of over 8 billion U.S. dollars last year, I think you are very very wrong about how prevalent it really is.

Psykotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
Lethe5683

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

Cloudrat wrote:

Lethe5683 wrote:

Considering that financial analysts have estimated MMO RMT to have achieved a net revenue of over 8 billion U.S. dollars last year, I think you are very very wrong about how prevalent it really is.

There is plenty however it is not as much as what would be caused from making EQ2 FTP and selling a lot of stuff on SC.  There's also the fact that some things that can be purchased on SC are things that you cannot get on normal servers by RMT.