EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #61
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

Also, I'm looking into the destination zone right now. It appears that the /beta command is taking what zone you're in and setting that as the final destination but the button has a random server handle the request.

Given the above information, do you guys think you'd be happy with having your character being sent to the Commonlands docks when copying from the button?

commonlands docks is my preferred landing destination, actually. I was considering even setting up a tourism booth there just to show Norrathians the awesomeness that IS the commonlands.  oh and...i swear to this...my guild will one day have a commonlands guild hall as its by far the smexiest imo

ArtemisClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #62
Raienya

Loremaster

With the next expansion due to hit in mid November, when is it going to be on Beta for testing? It NEEDS to be tested, and tested, and tested....you get my point.

The Sleeper's Tomb, Part 1 has been live for a week, and there have been two hot-fixes and downtime today to fix problems. Please give this expansion a chance to be tested properly so bugs are found and fixed before it goes live.

Raienya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #63
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

Also, I'm looking into the destination zone right now. It appears that the /beta command is taking what zone you're in and setting that as the final destination but the button has a random server handle the request.

Given the above information, do you guys think you'd be happy with having your character being sent to the Commonlands docks when copying from the button?

Commonlands dock would be fine.  At least there is a bell there.  It's definitely a lot better than my last copy using the beta button.  It sent me to Loping Plains, way up in the air.  And it was a l-o-n-g fall to my level 10 fury's ultimate splat at the bottom of The Breathless Hollow.  It was kind of funny.

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #64
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Terrogaunt wrote:

Commonlands dock would be fine.  At least there is a bell there.  It's definitely a lot better than my last copy using the beta button.  It sent me to Loping Plains, way up in the air.  And it was a l-o-n-g fall to my level 10 fury's ultimate splat at the bottom of The Breathless Hollow.  It was kind of funny.

Sometimes it would just pay to have featherfall or at least safe fall of 450, eh? SMILEY

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #65
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but there's unlimited SC on Beta.  Copy a toon, buy a rename, copy it again SMILEY

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #66
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Terrogaunt wrote:

Well, I'm ethically opposed to Commonlands, too close to Freeport for me.  The real problem, however, is it's a very small landing space for a lot of characters. Do you have a bell somewhere that's got some space around it?

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #67
RandomWalk

Tester

Calthine wrote:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but there's unlimited SC on Beta. Copy a toon, buy a rename, copy it again

Terrogaunt wrote:

ArtemisClyde wrote:

meh...but we weren't able to spam per se, we had to copy toon1, log them in on beta, go back to test, copy again, get "toon1x", back to beta, log that toon in, back to test, copy, get "toon1xx", and thats where it stopped. i liked that way much better then it attempting to delete someone. id be scared it deletes the wrong toon. but, beggars cant be choosers, and im thrilled that it copies so fast, and cant wait for that to reach live so people can bring their main toons over. I understand the cleaner database, its just that there can be so many nice uses of multiple copies right now, especially with no buffers and no guild buffers for status.

edit: and what about renaming? ill point out beta is unlimited sc. maybe terrogaunt could keep it this way but if we want extra copies of the toon we just buy a rename pot before copying another copy? could work? *wink*

The only reason you weren't able to spam was because of naming conflicts which have since been resolved . And renaming won't prevent deletion, since it doesn't go off of the character name. There's a unique value on each character and I'm using this to find the previously copied one.

Sorry Calthine but renaming copied toons won't keep them safe from the big delete button....

RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #68
Terrogaunt

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

It's definitely a lot better than my last copy using the beta button.  It sent me to Loping Plains, way up in the air.  And it was a l-o-n-g fall to my level 10 fury's ultimate splat at the bottom of The Breathless Hollow.  It was kind of funny.

The troll in me REALLY wants to make that happen as the default now lol. (Don't worry, I won't)

Terrogaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #69
Tylia
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It's definitely a lot better than my last copy using the beta button.  It sent me to Loping Plains, way up in the air.  And it was a l-o-n-g fall to my level 10 fury's ultimate splat at the bottom of The Breathless Hollow.  It was kind of funny.

The troll in me REALLY wants to make that happen as the default now lol. (Don't worry, I won't)

Resist the temptation!  Resist, resist I say!  Ok, so maybe it really is a humorous image.. all these characters falling from the skies over Loping Plains..   No!  Resist!   

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #70
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

ok beta just went down again with a patch supposedly fixing where u rez when using the copy to beta button from the test server char select screen. after beta came back up, i copied a toon from test.  he was dropped by the freeport gate just inside and guards killed him before he even fully loaded.  maybe beta got their update first and test hasnt gotten theirs yet. idk. but its not working right yet.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #71
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Terrogaunt wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Resist the temptation!  Resist, resist I say!  Ok, so maybe it really is a humorous image.. all these characters falling from the skies over Loping Plains..   No!  Resist!   

Splat. Splat. Thunk (troll). Splat.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #72
Terrogaunt

Developer

ArtemisClyde wrote:

ok beta just went down again with a patch supposedly fixing where u rez when using the copy to beta button from the test server char select screen. after beta came back up, i copied a toon from test.  he was dropped by the freeport gate just inside and guards killed him before he even fully loaded.  maybe beta got their update first and test hasnt gotten theirs yet. idk. but its not working right yet.

Right. The modified location actually happens on the source server, not the destination. You'll need to wait until this is patched onto Test to get yourself onto the docks. SMILEY

Unless of course I just managed to pick a location that it doesn't like. Only time will tell!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #73
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Terrogaunt wrote:

ArtemisClyde wrote:

Right. The modified location actually happens on the source server, not the destination. You'll need to wait until this is patched onto Test to get yourself onto the docks.

Unless of course I just managed to pick a location that it doesn't like. Only time will tell!

Button at character select appears to correctly place me in Commonlands. Doing /beta in game puts me exactly where I was on Test.

Copied from character select a character that logged out inside Palace of the Awakened and it placed me on the dock in Commonlands.

Copied same character from inside game from inside Palace of the Awakened and it placed me in Palace of Awakened exactly where I was when I issued the /beta command.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #74
Terrogaunt

Developer

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

Terrogaunt wrote:

ArtemisClyde wrote:

Right. The modified location actually happens on the source server, not the destination. You'll need to wait until this is patched onto Test to get yourself onto the docks.

Button at character select appears to correctly place me in Commonlands. Doing /beta in game puts me exactly where I was on Test.

Copied from character select a character that logged out inside Palace of the Awakened and it placed me on the dock in Commonlands.

Copied same character from inside game from inside Palace of the Awakened and it placed me in Palace of Awakened exactly where I was when I issued the /beta command.

Sounds like it's working exactly how I want it to lol. Great success!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #75
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

I reproduced that duplicating of character in duplicating in guild members.

While I was offline, a founder rank promoted Ohoh to Officer. I copied, the toon was deleted and Ohohx was created. I copied again and Ohohx was deleted and Ohoh was created. Shows two Ohoh in guild members again, one with Officer, one with recruit.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #76
Terrogaunt

Developer

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

While I was offline, a founder rank promoted Ohoh to Officer. I copied, the toon was deleted and Ohohx was created. I copied again and Ohohx was deleted and Ohoh was created. Shows two Ohoh in guild members again, one with Officer, one with recruit.

So essentially it sounds like it's a queued validation of the promotion that never gets hit since the character gets deleted. You know, I really thought that you couldn't promote someone without both parties being online. Go figure. I'll be sure to look into it though! Thanks for getting me a test case SMILEY

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #77
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Terrogaunt wrote:

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

So essentially it sounds like it's a queued validation of the promotion that never gets hit since the character gets deleted. You know, I really thought that you couldn't promote someone without both parties being online. Go figure. I'll be sure to look into it though! Thanks for getting me a test case

I just left the guild with the recruit Ohoh. and did a /camp Ohoh and I logged back in to Ohoh as a guild member with recruit.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #78
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Better test case:

Left guild with all versions of Ohoh on beta.

Deleted Ohoh from character select on Beta.

Copied Ohoh from Test at the character select screen.

Logged into beta with new Ohoh and was guilded as recruit.

Logged out and did a copy of Ohoh from Test character select.

Waited approximately 30 seconds and did another copy from Test character select.

Exited and switched to beta. Got Login rejected: Invalid username or password. Please try again. Typed password and hit ok. Shows Ohoh (so the copy made an Ohohx and then deleted it and remade Ohoh).

Hit play and I'm in the world as Ohoh unguilded. Got invited as recruit and guild members shows 2 Ohoh as recruits. One offline today and the other in The Commonlands.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #79
Pijotre
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Ubi Bene

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

So essentially it sounds like it's a queued validation of the promotion that never gets hit since the character gets deleted. You know, I really thought that you couldn't promote someone without both parties being online. Go figure. I'll be sure to look into it though! Thanks for getting me a test case

And please please don't change that functionality, because if you force both perties being online it will have bad implications for guild robbers and one-man guilds.

Pijotre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #80
ChrisMarchant

Tester

Copied 5 chars accross from test server to beta, 2 were Qeynos aligned.

Very unfair of you to drop 2 level 20 odd good chars into Freeport, when they were quite safe at Lavastorm docks before the copy. They got killed before they completed zoning into the game.

I hear that this is happening with all chars, but at least find a fairly safe spot away from guards!!!!!!!!

Other than that rather big problem, it's working fine.

ChrisMarchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #81
Terrogaunt

Developer

ChrisMarchant wrote:

Copied 5 chars accross from test server to beta, 2 were Qeynos aligned.

Very unfair of you to drop 2 level 20 odd good chars into Freeport, when they were quite safe at Lavastorm docks before the copy. They got killed before they completed zoning into the game.

I hear that this is happening with all chars, but at least find a fairly safe spot away from guards!!!!!!!!

Other than that rather big problem, it's working fine.

The docks should be as safe a spot as any. If you're not being zoned to the docks, that is a bit of a problem.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #82
Terrogaunt

Developer

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

Better test case:

Left guild with all versions of Ohoh on beta.

Deleted Ohoh from character select on Beta.

Copied Ohoh from Test at the character select screen.

Logged into beta with new Ohoh and was guilded as recruit.

Logged out and did a copy of Ohoh from Test character select.

Waited approximately 30 seconds and did another copy from Test character select.

Exited and switched to beta. Got Login rejected: Invalid username or password. Please try again. Typed password and hit ok. Shows Ohoh (so the copy made an Ohohx and then deleted it and remade Ohoh).

Hit play and I'm in the world as Ohoh unguilded. Got invited as recruit and guild members shows 2 Ohoh as recruits. One offline today and the other in The Commonlands.

I've already found the problem. I'm not sending the guild removal on deletion of the character. Thanks again SMILEY

Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #83
Dethdlr
Guild: Advent of Valor

Fansite Staff

Terrogaunt wrote:

You know, I really thought that you couldn't promote someone without both parties being online. Go figure. 

Both parties do not need to be online.  If they did, it would make things considerably more complicated.  

For example, we have some ranks that members obtain for being in the guild for 6 months and another for being there 1.5 years.  When we go through to do promotions for these, it would be a royal pain to have to catch everybody online, especially with all their alts.

I won't bore you with lots of other scenarios where this would be a bad idea.  Just wanted to drop a line to say it's working fine as is.  Really don't want a mechanic that's worked this way for sooooo long to be "fixed".  

Thanks!

P.S.  Great work by the way.  You've got all sorts of cool things being added in for us.  SMILEY

EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #84
ChrisMarchant

Tester

My goodies were dropped into Freeport itself, just inside one of the gates, died too quickly to see exactly where they were dropped.

I had left them on Lavastorm docks, and used the button to copy them to beta. CL docks would have been fine, but it was inside Freeport  instead.

ChrisMarchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #85
Terrogaunt

Developer

ChrisMarchant wrote:

My goodies were dropped into Freeport itself, just inside one of the gates, died too quickly to see exactly where they were dropped.

I had left them on Lavastorm docks, and used the button to copy them to beta. CL docks would have been fine, but it was inside Freeport  instead.

And these copies were done after the update yesterday, right?

Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #86
Ashlie
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Order of Concord

Loremaster

I copied all of my toons from test to beta last night from character select and they all ended up on the CL dock.

Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #87
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

ChrisMarchant wrote:

And these copies were done after the update yesterday, right?

she's in my beta guild, the copies were made prior to the update  im gonna check it out myself again once im done on live, just to be sure.

update!: ok test server updated for me and copied just fine, put him on cl docks safe and sound. no troll splat.  not even that icky overflow bug that seems to effect shared bank everytime a toon is copied to beta or testcopy in the past. i hate getting bags full of shared stuff dumped to an overflow slot on a random toon. SMILEY

Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #88
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

so...now that it seems to be working right, will it be included in tomorrows update to live servers? SMILEY
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #89
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Terrogaunt wrote:

You know, I really thought that you couldn't promote someone without both parties being online. Go figure. 

Both parties do not need to be online.  If they did, it would make things considerably more complicated.  

For example, we have some ranks that members obtain for being in the guild for 6 months and another for being there 1.5 years.  When we go through to do promotions for these, it would be a royal pain to have to catch everybody online, especially with all their alts.

I won't bore you with lots of other scenarios where this would be a bad idea.  Just wanted to drop a line to say it's working fine as is.  Really don't want a mechanic that's worked this way for sooooo long to be "fixed".  

Thanks!

P.S.  Great work by the way.  You've got all sorts of cool things being added in for us.  

It's got nothing to do with being online or not. It's that when the beta copy executes, it doesn't actually remove the deleted character from guild until that account logs into beta again. But when you copy, then copy again (without logging in the interim copy), you've got the exact same character and it thinks that it's not supposed to remove the first one from the guild. (at least that's the way I see it).

Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #90
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Hehe. Now gimme something else to break SMILEY