EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Zone and Quest Discussion (AoM Beta)
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Maergoth

I don't know why this bothers me.

Generally speaking, I don't even like quests. Let alone language quests.

But is it striking anyone else as odd that we stumble across some quasi-prehistoric islands with creatures previously unknown to even exist, and they speak common tongue?

Maybe it's just because they are doubly not humanoid.. they are bears AND spiders, combined. So I am double bothered that they speak humanoid languages. And they do it better than EQ1 trolls/ogres.

Just seems a little bonkers to me.
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Buffrat

What bothers me is I can't tell if they wrap food up in web like a spider and suck everything out or if they maul your face open like a bear. And also why it has tusks.
Buffrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
FriggaWitch

Greetings,
Well on the questline opener with the bear-spiders they say that for a long time outlanders have been coming to their island,also the far seas has had a base of operations there for generations. Stands to reason they would have learned the commom tongue at some point. Wow, what if they spoke Draconic that really would be something.
I opt for the rip your face off and then wrap you in a web for storage as there killing MO.
FriggaWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Maergoth

Huh. Maybe I misread it. The impression I got was that the FSTC had more recently been showing up, hence their still fresh hostility to / fear of outlanders.. and the term "outlanders" still being used, honestly.
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Lodrelhai

The term "outlanders" still being used isn't really a good indication of how long FSTC has been interacting with them. At least, I'm used to hearing the term "haole" from the Hawaiian side of my family, and I have vivid memories of working in Customer Service and I and coworkers being told "go back to your own country." If a modern industrial country 200+ years old with worldwide power and impact made almost entirely of immigrants can still have people regularly use disparaging language to other perceived immigrants, I am not in the least surprised a smaller, possibly insular society can still use it in reference to trade partners.
Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Sisca

A bit of lore for those that might have come in after the changes. The first island, with the tower, treehouse and graveyard was the original newbie island at launch. This is where many of us spent at least the first 5 levels before being shipped off to either Qeynos or Freeport. Initially when you created a new character you started out in basically a ragged shirt and pants/skirt being rescued at sea by a FSTC boat. That boat would deliver you to the Isle of Refuge where you'd start questing to pick up gear and such.

So the FSTC has been in the area for a long time. They never mentioned the other islands but you have to believe they'd have known about them and, being traders, at least attempted trade with any sentient races they encountered.
Sisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
Lodrelhai

Yeah, I had to feedback the TS questline about that last night. The main NPC in that, Skrit, tells you at one point that by speaking to the locals she learned there are three more islands north of them, and we should search them for the missing FSTC trade rep. We run an errand and go to meet her there - on the home island of the Far Seas Trading Company! It makes no sense she wouldn't know what those islands to the north are, unless possibly most crew members of the FSTC don't know where they operate from. In which case it should be addressed in the dialogues with her.
Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote