EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
kdmorse

Loremaster

It's been so long since it's been relevant, I honestly don't remember....

What's the etiquette when you just really want one non-guaranteed drop, from one stinking contested named?  Is it acceptable to kill him, plant yourself on him, and thump him over and over whenever he spawns until he drops what you came for?  I'm not looking to plow the zone, or deprive anyone else of anything they might need.  Just a tactical pilfering of one semi-rare chest drop.

Acceptable? Rude?  Both?

kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Regolas

Loremaster

Personally, I'm of the thinking if you're there first and want to camp it then it's yours until you leave, but I'm old skool with eq1 and camp check shouts, etc. Doesn't seem to happen in eq2, it's just a race to get there first with no communication or consideration to anyone else.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
zehly

Loremaster

As long as it's not a quest mob, I say go for it. If it's a quest mob and someone politely asks you to let them have a kill, I'd at least honor the request.

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
kdmorse

Loremaster

/camp fail...

6 hours, didn't get what I wanted.

On the upside, I didn't see anyone else in the area the entire time, so I guess I didn't bother anyone.

kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Filly67

Loremaster

Basically first come first serve.  But that being said if I see someone else or a group come up I ask if they need the kill for a quest too and offer to group up.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I remember when there were items in this game that were worth camping for...

Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Darkor
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Nexus

Loremaster

Good old eq1 days. I miss them so much.

Darkor 90 Swashbuckler

Daerkin 90 Shadowknight

Daerkor 90 Templar

Ajjantis 90 Warden

Melodic 90 Dirge

Dayo 90 Monk

Rasiel 88 Conjuror

Razyeel 70 Wizard

Biyon 65 Beastlord
Darkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Levatino

Loremaster

zehly wrote:

As long as it's not a quest mob, I say go for it. If it's a quest mob and someone politely asks you to let them have a kill, I'd at least honor the request.

+1

Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Trebien
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Raging Phoenix

Loremaster

One way to handle it is invite anyone who wants to kill the named.  Explain that you want this one particular loot drop, but they are welcome to roll on anything else if they want.  You could change the loot options to leader only, and then have everyone roll on everything except your one item, then assign the loot accordingly.  Some people just want the aa, some need for quest, and some want loot.  This helps everyone up to 6 people benefit.

Trebien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Mohee

Lord

At least on the Freeport server, it seems that nobody has any sort of general manners or human decency. 

EQ1

------------------

Player 1 "Camp check"

Player 2 "Boss A"

Player 3 "Boss C"

Player 1 "K, i'll camp B then, thanks!"

EQ2

-----------------

to group "ok, Incoming boss at this dead end that we've been clearing to in 5 seconds!"

Group comes flying in from behind unannounced, wizzing past your group as they shoot at arrow at the named, locking the encounter and stealing your pull.

KSer's say "its contested dude, F u! hahahaha"

From past experiences, and there has been many, it appears that 95% of players/groups on freeport have the metality of the KSers. You ask for a camp check in EQ2, you will get laughed at and flamed and made fun of. What a different game filled with totally different type of people compared to EQ1.

For me it was the other way around in EQ1, 95% very helpful and nice, well mannered playerbase. only 5% jerks there. In EQ1, a bad reputation is something you didn't want. Doesn't seem to matter in EQ2.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

Whoever pulls the mob first gets the first chance to kill it. If the other person whines, complains, or otherwise moans, they are being a crybaby and sore loser.

It's been this way since the dawn of time.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
Darksea
Server: Venekor

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

At least on the Freeport server, it seems that nobody has any sort of general manners or human decency. 

Group comes flying in from behind unannounced, wizzing past your group as they shoot at arrow at the named, locking the encounter and stealing your pull.

Amen to this exprience. Also you have the guy that sits in stealth way back for 10mins. Waits for the last trash before pull then grabs it. fidei defensor are professionals at this. I'm old school and feel these actions are rude and should have repercussions. Anyone that I hang out with or group statically with do not allow them in their groups, not welcome in the raid alliance either because the guy that runs it was annoyed they leap frogged him so many times, in stormhold lol.  Stuff like that takes it toll.  

Old 09-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
Rendoir

Loremaster

Contested - this is not a 1 player game.

If you pull it it is your's. Just make sure to get it first and if someone else whines, that's their problem, not your's. People will rage and say this is wrong, and we should all play nice etc etc, but is a MULTI person game with limited MOBs to kill, and people have limited time to play.

It's one of the few life situations where you do NOT have to play conventionally nice. 

I'm not advocating being an A-hole, but I am saying don't listen to the vocal minority that say 'it's not like the old days in eq1 where everyone was an angel blah blah blah'. Most of the time the people I have seen whinging about 'kill stealers' are plain bad at the game, and just angry about other stuff. 

While you are discussing with them about grouping for a contested mob on a 30 minute timer and whom is after what loot, I will have ran through the zone on my way somewhere else and while you have been busy shaking hands and signing treaties I'll have wacked it. And on my way back I'll wack it again, unless you beat me to it!

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Deago

Loremaster

They put the mechanics/rules in eq2 like this and so just have fun.   Its not like most mobs in the game require extensive camp time anyway and like already stated the gear that drops off quick-kill names is mostly lolable.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Mohee wrote:

EQ1

------------------

Player 1 "Camp check"

Player 2 "Boss A"

Player 3 "Boss C"

Player 1 "K, i'll camp B then, thanks!"

EQ2

-----------------

to group "ok, Incoming boss at this dead end that we've been clearing to in 5 seconds!"

Yep. I've had this experience several times.

[email protected] wrote:

Whoever pulls the mob first gets the first chance to kill it. If the other person whines, complains, or otherwise moans, they are being a crybaby and sore loser.

Someone puts in the time to clearing all the trash leading up to a mob and then you just run past them and take the named? That's not only repugnant, it's why EQ2 has so little contested content. The percentage of people who think kill stealing is not only acceptible but hilarious is very small.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Seidhkona

Loremaster

If there is no one around, camp to your heart's content. If you see others in the area, be proactive and send them a tell asking if they need this named for a quest. If they do, either stop camping it long enough for them to take the next spawn, or offer to help them with the quest step by grouping.

If you do offer to group with them, explain in advance that you are camping this guy for your specific loot item and that you want it if it drops. If the other person won't agree to that, then just step back and let them get the next kill, then go back to your camping.

On the flip side, if I need a mob and see someone camping it, I am proactive and send THEM a tell explaining that I need the mob for a quest.

If someone is being a jerk and will not allow you to get in a quest kill, then you can /petition that as a violation of the EQ2 Official "Play Nice Policy". Regarding camping a mob, the policy states:

There are cases where two or more groups wish to kill the same NPC or hunt in the same area. In these cases, the groups are required to compromise.If an equitable compromise cannot be reached between the players prior to EverQuest II Customer Service Staff involvement, the EQII CSR will mandate a compromise. Any such compromise is final and not open to debate. Refusing to abide by these terms will be considered disruption and may result in disciplinary action.It is therefore strongly suggested that the groups make every attempt to reach a compromise that they can live with prior to involving an EQII CSR, who may mandate a compromise that does not suit you to the extent that a player-devised compromise would.Note: A "group" in this case is defined as a party of one or more characters that are united in a common belief or goal and are capable of completing that goal.You may not disrupt the normal playability of a zone or area.... This includes, but is not limited to: Monopolizing most or all of the kills in an area.... Refusing to cooperate with the other parties at a contested spawn site after having been instructed to do so by an EQII CSR.

See also: [EQ2] 'Kill Stealing' and Mob Claim Disputes Policy

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

your group as they shoot at arrow at the named, locking the encounter and stealing your pull.

Yep. I've had this experience several times.

[email protected] wrote:

Someone puts in the time to clearing all the trash leading up to a mob and then you just run past them and take the named? That's not only repugnant, it's why EQ2 has so little contested content. The percentage of people who think kill stealing is not only acceptible but hilarious is very small.

plowing trash entitles you to nothing. just because you happen to be going the same way i am pulling my mobs doesnt mean i should just give up and yeild to you. expecting that would be selfish of you. complaining about it after is just being a sore loser.

A Cure For Cancer
Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

thats not at all what i posted but ok... nice forums...

plowing trash entitles you to nothing. just because you are going the same way as me doesnt mean i should not contest you for pulls. dont be a sore loser. pull faster.

by all means make up all the fancy ettiquete rules you want. i will not play by them. if i see an unclaimed mob i want to pull i will pull it so you better beat me to it.that whole piece of legislation sigrfrida is trying to enact is completely silly and i would be looting the box by the time she sends the first tell. petitioning that you got out pulled in contested content is a complete waste of gm time and never results in punishment for the winner unless you get sucked into a crybaby match and start harrassing someone.

A Cure For Cancer
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Jrral

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

I've dealt with this a few times. The KS'ers routinely got nailed by CS after I petitioned on them. Of course, I didn't petition them for kill-stealing because you can't kill-steal in EQ2. What I petitioned them on is disruptive play. First-pull first-served on mobs is fine, as is racing someone else through the trash to see who can clear to the named first. But someone lagging behind waiting for you to clear the trash and then leapfrogging to the named after you've done all the work, that's what's petitionable as disruptive. It's all in how the petition's phrased:

"Group X stole the named from us!"

vs:

"My group was in the process of clearing the mobs around named A. We'd seen nobody else touching any mobs in the area. Just as we'd cleared the last mob in the area and were preparing to pull the named, group X came storming in taking advantage of the fact that we'd cleared the area to pull the named before we could. They were aware that we were clearing and intended to pull the named, weren't in the area while the mobs around the named were being cleared and didn't contribute to clearing the area. A /report "name" of the event was taken starting as we killed the last trash mob."

The petition's especially effective if the KS'ers spout off something to the effect of "Ha Ha suckers!" and you can capture it in the /report. That shows pretty clearly that they knew they were taking advantage, and tends to rub CS just the wrong way.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Drupal

Elder

I think certain people do not understand the difference between a pvp and a pve server.

Stealing a kill may be fine on pvp ( heck I'd probably kill you for it ... ), but on pve that's just being a jerk.

There is a certain behaviour that is simply not acceptable Mal. We play a MMO here and are part of a community. Yes there is an etiquette and with that in place the servers are simply a better place. 

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

If you see somebody clearing trash within the immediate vicinity of a named, pulling that named from in front of them is being a jerk. Don't do that.

If somebody is standing near a named MOB and not pulling it for some reason, they have no right to complain if you pull it first. If they wanted it, they should have pulled it.

If you're camping a MOB for a specific drop and somebody comes along who would like a quest update or AA credit, inviting them to group with you is the decent thing to do. Obviously, setting loot to leader-only just in case the item you want drops is acceptable in such a situation.

If you are progressing through a contested zone and another group that kills faster leapfrogs past you and pulls some named up ahead, you have nothing to complain about. Kill faster, that's why they call it contested.

If a named MOB has extremely desirable loot, don't expect to be able to monopolize the camp. Be ready to snag it instantly as it pops, and if you lose the race, be faster next time.

Don't petition GMs about people "stealing your MOBs". GMs are customer service staff, not babysitters. People who act like jerks online aren't going to change their attitude because you tattled on them to the GMs, all you will accomplish is wasting a GMs time and making said jerk think you're a pansy. There are jerks in the world, sometimes you have to interact with them. Put on your big-boy pants and get over it.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

plowing trash entitles you to nothing. just because you are going the same way as me doesnt mean i should not contest you for pulls. dont be a sore loser. pull faster.

by all means make up all the fancy ettiquete rules you want. i will not play by them. if i see an unclaimed mob i want to pull i will pull it so you better beat me to it.that whole piece of legislation sigrfrida is trying to enact is completely silly and i would be looting the box by the time she sends the first tell. petitioning that you got out pulled in contested content is a complete waste of gm time and never results in punishment for the winner unless you get sucked into a crybaby match and start harrassing someone.

There is a difference between:

• Two different groups who are active within a contested dungeon and happening to overlap on different mobs.
  • You hanging back and seeing that my group is engaged with trash in the immediate vicinity of a named, WAITING until we've pulled all the trash, and THEN going straight for the named and killing it, and yelling out in /say or /shout "haha you suck!"

If you do the second, you bet I will report you for Disruptive Play. You can make up all the personal rules all you want, if you break the TOS, you're getting reported. It's not about the loot. It's about you pulling a named that you COULD NOT have pulled yourself at that moment if the room full of trash were not already occupied. If we hadn't been there, you would have had to proceed more slowly and carefully. To quote a certain public figure: You didn't do that. You didn't get there on your own. Someone else helped you do that.

Also, you're from Nagafen and this discussion is about PvE on a PvE server.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

that whole piece of legislation sigrfrida is trying to enact

So far as I can tell, that "whole piece of legislation" is the TOS for this game, which already has been enacted & is part of the rules under which we're all supposed to be playing.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
Ibuki

Lord

whats etiquette for competing wit botsguild?

Ibuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Ther eis no Etiqueette here.

He who hits it first has the only chance at winning, and he only gets rewards if his 'group' does 50% of the damage.

Beyond that, contested is contested.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

There is no Etiqueette here.

Yes, there is: the TOS covers it.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
Skwor

Loremaster

In EQ1 there were real needs to camping mobs, some zone access quests depended on rare contested spawns, certain class quests etc.. In EQ2 there is really none of that.

EQ2 has contested but for the most part only drop loot and typically lame loot unless they are the high end raid mobs which those players already know how to play in the big boy world and don't complain when they are to lame to beat another raid force to the mob.

Camping in EQ2 is silly and pointless. I really get a kick out of toons sending rage tells because I dared enter an area to kill city mobs where they were killing first. I am supposed to just get up and leave because they are "special" and should have the area to themselves. Sorry little girls that isn't how the game works, worst case you are required to share per the TOS for the game. Secondly no one is so special in this game that they are entitled to their own little world wherever they go uninterrupted by anyone else who may play this game.

As for being petitioned that is a real hoot. GM sends tell, "It has been reported you have disrupted gameplay" I respond "Sorry Sir you were called upon to investigate this matter, in truth we are both working this area for city mobs. I am and have been more than willing to share however the other party has been less than polite and now apparently has used a petition to intimidate." GM leaves every time telling both of us to get along and share the resources per the TOS. So ya go ahead and petition for game disruption, unless you can /report chat that is incriminating it is a totally pointless endeavour, LOL.

Grow up and LTP, kill faster and you won't have KS issues.

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
Elebu
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Ancient Prophecy

Loremaster

Back in the day before name/race change options and server xfers stealing someone's kills/camp would pretty much guarantee you'd never be in a guild of any significance or find a group at times when the whole server seemed to be LFG.

That said, there are still plenty of ways available to 'deter' this kind of playstyle within the community itself, no TOS needed.

Elebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
EsohEMO

Scholar

Ulrichvon wrote:

Beyond that, contested is contested.

The problem is for the most part an overall lack of understanding of what the term contested means.

When Skyshrine was first released we were running through there in a group in the contested area, there were at least 2 other groups in the zone kiling mobs, but there were plenty of paths so we went where we saw mobs. As we were approaching an area that had a named mob behind a pedestal/pillar in the center of a room that  was open on the E/W or N/S sides we see a group killing coming down the other hallway. Someone called it out in vent and said hurry we have to clear to it before they do if we want the named, It was almost a dead tie, in fact they killed their last mob before us maybe by 2 seconds but one of our scouts ran ahead as the last mob was almost dead pulled the named to us and we kill it, when the fabled chest dropped the slurs began. This is a classic case of a contested kill, nothing more we had every right to that mob just as much as they did, and if they were good enough/crafty enough or gutsy enough to make the pull without being fully powered/healed they might have gotten it. If the mob is not in an instanced zone then no one has any more right to it than another, period. It doesn't matter if you killed all the mobs over and over and caused it to spawn or not, whoever pulls it and kills it gets the loot.

To the OP's original question it is entirely up to you if you are waiting on the mob to spawn and some others approach and they want to join you and agree to your terms for the loot, yes that would be the nature of goodwill in the game and the kind of behavior one would hope for. If they refuse then there is really no debate, tell them good luck and may the first pull win. The can choose to stay and make it a CONTEST or they can go find something else to do and come back when you are done or they are willing to contest or compromise with you for what you want.

EsohEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

ive always played mmo by first come first serve and never been disciplined or had a problem. the only thing that has happened is one time a high level mentor locked the queen in FG and wouldnt kill her for 30 min just to grief. i petitioned a GM spawned about 30 min later and said player went poof. as long as you arent doing something like that or harrassing in chat you wont be disciplined. even if you petition you wont know what action if any came from it. also, i play on freeport jsyk.

A Cure For Cancer