EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Pieceof8

Loremaster

Well with this possible drop from any mobs thing coming to an end soon I just wanted to comment on how epic a failure it was. All it did was cause hostilities between players as WL became a zone of endless name camping. The drop rate was abyssal and as such any excitement of possibly getting one soon died out. All I can really say is...SOE thanks for nothing!

Pieceof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Why were people camping nameds? They could drop from anything.

While I would've liked one of those weapons I can't say I'll cry over not having it.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Regolas

Loremaster

They'll probably drop like candy on the new expansion and everyone who spent the whole of August killing trash or paying 5kpp will feel royally screwed. I would have loved to get some but I treated it the same as mythral weapons, such a low chance there's no point farming, just luck if you get one.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Xianthia

Loremaster

I tried killing things in so many zones for about a week and got dissillusioned after seeing same folks having multiples on broker.

Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Zygar

Loremaster

Ethereals were an epic failure b/c you personally did not get one. Gotcha.
92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Weebee

Champion

I created a second guild.. cause of a naming issue..

Anyways, I have been crafting and running city writs.

I was on the city writ phase in Stonebrunt killing Void Dreadclaws.  This was like my 20th run or so.  when an exquisite chest dropped.  I looked at the weapon, said oh my.. and showed 1-9.  Huge mistake.  I never did notice it was an ethereal weapon till after the fact.

Apparently I picked up one of the most sought after one handed str weapons.  I never expected to see one.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

I never saw the issues the OP is complaining about ..... /shrug

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
zehly

Loremaster

I got two of them by sheer luck, and was happy to sell them to folks who wanted them more than I did.

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

I don't know anyone that got one.  It was discoed on my server.

This is standard gimmick, hold out the carrot that you will never get and we keep falling for it.

Here comes the next carrot.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Ethereals have nothing to do wtih the WL named being perma-camped. People farm those named because they can drop Fabled items which can be sold on the broker (usually for far hilariously inflated prices).

I never got an ethereal to drop either, but I still think it was a cool concept. Some folks got very lucky and ended up with a neat memento, appearance item, or useful weapon, and they didn't have to grind any tokens, repeat some lame fetch quest, or perma-camp a specific named MOB. They got a cool reward just for playing the game as they always do.

Sure, some folks went out of their way to farm the things to make a profit. Good for them, if it gave them motivation to grind MOBs, more power to them. Some people don't mind putting in that kind of time and effort for a worthwhile reward, and while it isn't my cup of tea, neither is crafting or hardmode raiding. It takes all kinds to make a world, and everybody has their place.

Not everybody got an ethereal drop--that was by design. Nobody is entitled to them, and I see no reason why that makes it a flawed concept.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Nivek
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Ignis Caelestis

Loremaster

I was in a group when the tank sword dropped and everyone even the tank greeded on it. That was the only one I've seen drop and thats one more then i've seen Mythicals lol. 

They were rare which was expected... I didn't go out of my way to get one. I just played the game as I normally would, which is group in Skyshrine content.

I agree that it was a neat concept. Hopefully they will do some more stuff like this. Rare rewards for playing the game is a cool idea.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Regolas wrote:

They'll probably drop like candy on the new expansion and everyone who spent the whole of August killing trash or paying 5kpp will feel royally screwed

I doubt this. Remember the Shadow Fiend/Brute/Lurker/etc weapons during the void storm prelude event for TSO? They never dropped again. It's probably a safe assumption that these are going to be just like the shadow fiend ones in rarity.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Draylore

Loremaster

Pieceof8 wrote:

Well with this possible drop from any mobs thing coming to an end soon I just wanted to comment on how epic a failure it was. All it did was cause hostilities between players as WL became a zone of endless name camping. The drop rate was abyssal and as such any excitement of possibly getting one soon died out. All I can really say is...SOE thanks for nothing!

So it was a failure because the RNG didn't swing your way?

It was a failure because people spent countless hours farming something that by design was not meant to be farmed? 

I saw 3 drop in just doing my normal thing.....one from trash in contested SS,  one from trash in DP Solo advanced and a 3rd from trash in DP instance.   Never even thought about them or being stupid as to think they could be 'farmed' off specific mobs. 

I think it worked exactly how they intended it to work.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

dont need to camp the nameds.

i got one from trash mob from shard of love.

best place to hunt heavy mob density.

i have monk/bruiser-beastlord katar but wanting that Tormax's royal sword to trade.

if you find the sword on Butcherblock server, and i am happy to trade this katar.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

I don't know anyone that got one.  It was discoed on my server.

This is standard gimmick, hold out the carrot that you will never get and we keep falling for it.

Here comes the next carrot.

At least two members of my guild got ethereals, one of which dropped the other day in Erudin Labs.

I've seen quite a few people on Freeport get them, which is every bit as meaningful as you saying you don't know of anyone who got one -- IOW, not meaningful at all.As for carrots & sticks ... welcome to MMO Land, enjoy your stay.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

The only one I looted was in a raid, however we have members who looted more than one in a single day.

There is no point in contesting a zone / kill / area for these things, its a random body drop and can drop off anything that cons color.  The higher the density and speed of kills, the more likely you are to see one.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
hansomepete

Loremaster

Loved the concept, this is what EQ2 needs to be.

Am I sad I didn't get one yes, am I mad that I didn't get one nope. Did I spend hours on end trying to get one? not really. If it dropped, it dropped, I was more excited that one of our guild mates got it, then she transmuted it by accident. The really nice lv92 one handed sword one. That was funny stuff!!

She stills gets tells about that hillarious!

hansomepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Draylore

Loremaster

hansomepete wrote:

Loved the concept, this is what EQ2 needs to be.

Am I sad I didn't get one yes, am I mad that I didn't get one nope. Did I spend hours on end trying to get one? not really. If it dropped, it dropped, I was more excited that one of our guild mates got it, then she transmuted it by accident. The really nice lv92 one handed sword one. That was funny stuff!!

She stills gets tells about that hillarious!

Yeah I thought it was a nice thing as well. SMILEY

Of the three that I got...only one was upgrade for any of my toons so I was able to trade the other 2 for usable ones....was kinda nice to be doing some old fashion MMO trading for a change where both parties gain something.

The complainers are just part of the ever growing entitlement crowd infesting MMOs these days.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Pieceof8

Loremaster

I really hate having to spell it out but it seems so many don't get my point. Mu complaint is about all the hostility it has caused. Get cursed out because you killed a named someone was camping for an ethereal? I did as did a guild member whom had 2 of the drops. Is it unfair that it should only last 1 month? Yes, it should be a permanent feature as so many of us are responsible adults with jobs and cannot set all day on a computer farming mobs. Do I feel a senese of entitlement? Of course not. I have been playing MMO's for over a decade now and know that today's treasure is tomorrow's junk. The entitlement comment was just a cop out from someone that is mixing up republican rhetoric with real life. Further I never said I didn't get one. The troll just assumed because I am calling out what should be something fun but became tedious and definitely not fun that I did not get one.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and that's mine. Live with it because you aren't going to change it.

Pieceof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Malleria

Loremaster

Draylore wrote:

The complainers are just part of the ever growing entitlement crowd infesting MMOs these days.

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement). That's not how the MMO genre was built. Hard work got you the best reward, not dumb luck.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
Draylore

Loremaster

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement). That's not how the MMO genre was built. Hard work got you the best reward, not dumb luck.

Well in the case of these items......by design they are nothing more than pure dumb luck items.   Entitlement in this case refers to players that think extremely rare actually means everyone should get one.  

The OP was talking about some sorta bad drama that occurred in WL over camping names or whatever......that is just stupid with regard to these items ...since you have just as much chance of getting one all by yourself in a solo dungeon as anywhere else.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Regolas

Loremaster

That may not be technically true Draylore, and only the devs know for sure. I see more master spells drop off named mobs than trash. It may be there's a 0.5% (as an example) chance for one to drop off a named and a 0.1% chance to drop off a trash mob. This would mean you're 5 times more likely to get an ethreal off a named than trash. Of course there's more trash mobs to kill to get that chance, so overall you stand more chance mass killing trash, but there's still a good chance by killing named mobs too. If the % drop rate is the same regardless of mob type, then yes there's no point killing limited named mobs for them, but nobody knows if this is true.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
gourdon

Loremaster

Regolas wrote:

That may not be technically true Draylore, and only the devs know for sure. I see more master spells drop off named mobs than trash. It may be there's a 0.5% (as an example) chance for one to drop off a named and a 0.1% chance to drop off a trash mob. This would mean you're 5 times more likely to get an ethreal off a named than trash. Of course there's more trash mobs to kill to get that chance, so overall you stand more chance mass killing trash, but there's still a good chance by killing named mobs too. If the % drop rate is the same regardless of mob type, then yes there's no point killing limited named mobs for them, but nobody knows if this is true.

Actually, they have said it is a global fixed drop rate.  I have a suspicion that the rate was reduced after the first few days, but the rate is the same for all mobs.  Holly said as much.  The only thing we don't know is how multiple mob groups are handled on the roll.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
Destria
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Saints and Sinners

Loremaster

I would agree that its a rough failure, not because I did or did not get one, but because it was the same small group of people getting 3, 4, 5, 6, or more ethereals...while the other 99% never even saw one, and in the remaining days will still never see one. I would say a success would be a fair number of people managing to get one...maybe 2...not a very small number getting many.

And as for the void weapons, those still are attainable in their appearance as semi-rare drops from various TSO dungeons.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Mixxit
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

haven't got one, though i've tried badly! it's been a blast though and i wish there were many many items like this in the game that were very difficult to find and had lots of lore surrounding them and maybe even aren't announced

i remember years ago in eq1 when they said something like only 2/3's of the quests had ever been discovered in the game - amazing!

Alluvial, Order of Thunder @ Antonia Bayle

Maintainer of Lore of Norrath

Need lore? EQ Timeline

Mixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #26
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Pieceof8 wrote:

I really hate having to spell it out but it seems so many don't get my point. Mu complaint is about all the hostility it has caused.

I got the point; I don't agree with it, because I haven't seen this "hostility" you're talking about. Beyond that, even if I had, I'd put the blame where it belongs: on childish PLAYERS, not at all on SOE.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #27
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement)

Really? I like the ethereal idea, & I haven't even gotten one.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
Malleria

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement)

Really? I like the ethereal idea, & I haven't even gotten one.

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent. It's a completely luck based reward in a game built upon working for rewards. It's fine in small doses, but realize it's another step toward the entitled super casual solo players that are destroying the genre. And yes, as the OP correctly pointed out, it generates hard feelings. Why? Because in a game supposedly based on skill and player interactions there is absolutely nothing they can do to achieve this goal besides cross their fingers.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Malleria wrote:

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent. It's a completely luck based reward in a game built upon working for rewards. It's fine in small doses, but realize it's another step toward the entitled super casual solo players that are destroying the genre. And yes, as the OP correctly pointed out, it generates hard feelings. Why? Because in a game supposedly based on skill and player interactions there is absolutely nothing they can do to achieve this goal besides cross their fingers.

Luck has always been a major factor in MMO rewards systems. Look at EQ1, a lot of the most valuable items in that game were only valuable because they were stupidly rare. Rare drops off of rare spawning MOBs that posed no significant challenge to anything but your patience. Some people got lucky and got a Flowing Black Silk Sash when they happened to run into the Frenzied Ghoul one evening in Lower Guk. Most people had to camp his spawn point for hours just to see him spawn and not drop the sash.

Whether you like it or not, science has shown that humans respond more favorably to random reward schedules, so MMO developers are wise to exploit that tendency.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
Pariel

Loremaster

I got one from Elddar Forest while running the Qeynos quest lines. Dropped of a goblin, green con

/shrug

UK player, SOE account forever
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote