EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
Notsovilepriest
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Ill Gotten Gain

Loremaster

Got mine in solo zone, Scout/Shaman dagger.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
Dreamclouds

Loremaster

Perhaps they are already gone... wow, some of them were really nice. I love this kind of incentive to go back to the old content!

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
Zygar

Loremaster

Dreamclouds wrote:

In chat on AB today, heard that the mobs must con blue, and that you cannot be mentored down. Also heard speculation that if you have a merc out, the chests will not drop.

Several players testing that out now....

I got mine with a merc out...100% sure on this one. 92 fury with SK merc tanking the 10+ sifaye I was pulling at a time.

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
convict

Loremaster

Zygar wrote:

Dreamclouds wrote:

In chat on AB today, heard that the mobs must con blue, and that you cannot be mentored down. Also heard speculation that if you have a merc out, the chests will not drop.

I got mine with a merc out...100% sure on this one. 92 fury with SK merc tanking the 10+ sifaye I was pulling at a time.

What does that have to do with anything?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
Zygar

Loremaster

convict wrote:

Zygar wrote:

Dreamclouds wrote:

What does that have to do with anything?

It has to do with the fact that I'm SURE my merc was out b/c there's no way in hell I could have survived pulling that many mobs solo.

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #36
Windstalker

Senior Staff

On the Ethereals, there is no monkey business happening in the distribution or drop rate. We are using a global loot table with the same random chance to drop across the game.

The current items are only around for a limited time and they are part of the evolving world story which I will leave at that.... As much as we like to help with any confusion or frustration (like verifying there's no secret in the drop rates), the story details will always be left for you to discover and experience. Conjecture and curiosity are some of the best qualities in our community who cares about lore and the world they play in.  After all, we are a role-playing game. SMILEY

The team is really excited about upcoming world story events (and the return of some).  There is a lot to come from this very dedicated and creative team. We are all very much focused on creative awesome, clean, fun content that gets the community involved.  As we talk about ways to keep the game ever-changing, the Ethereal weapon type came up as ultimately a storytelling and lore category.

So far, the drop rates are looking good to us.  When the timing is appropriate, we will let you know when this set of Ethereals is about to stop appearing -- not because we expect people to farm the world -- but because we want you to have the information at hand so there is no unneeded frustration or confusion, as I said earlier.

Producer

EverQuest II
Windstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #37
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

I like when there are rare things in the game. Some people will always complain because they can't get one, and that's fine. But, after however long I've played this game I've decided this game has the worst streaky RNG I've ever seen. From failing FD multiple times in a row to the same master dropping twice on numerous occasions... and everything in between.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #38
ranga

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

On the Ethereals, there is no monkey business happening in the distribution or drop rate. We are using a global loot table with the same random chance to drop across the game.

The current items are only around for a limited time and they are part of the evolving world story which I will leave at that.... As much as we like to help with any confusion or frustration (like verifying there's no secret in the drop rates), the story details will always be left for you to discover and experience. Conjecture and curiosity are some of the best qualities in our community who cares about lore and the world they play in.  After all, we are a role-playing game.

The team is really excited about upcoming world story events (and the return of some).  There is a lot to come from this very dedicated and creative team. We are all very much focused on creative awesome, clean, fun content that gets the community involved.  As we talk about ways to keep the game ever-changing, the Ethereal weapon type came up as ultimately a storytelling and lore category.

So far, the drop rates are looking good to us.  When the timing is appropriate, we will let you know when this set of Ethereals is about to stop appearing -- not because we expect people to farm the world -- but because we want you to have the information at hand so there is no unneeded frustration or confusion, as I said earlier.

Which stories are these? Have they even started to be told anywhere? Is the lore attached to the ethereal items that only .0001 of the pop will ever see? Will we get the whole story after the loot has gone and the door closed?

I'm not knocking SOE here, just saying that having a great story/storylines is all well and good as long as you don't keep it to yourselves SMILEY As it stands, I have absolutely no idea what this is all about and I do look at EQ news every day.

My guess is though, that it's all tied to RMT. Please tell us I am wrong?

Give us the gen and give us the loot!

We do not think about a transfer of US server chars from EU costumers in Eq2. That should solve the biggest worries the EQ2 community has at the moment. We do not want to interfere with long build ingame relationships. This is the current way we think about it.

ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
Darq

Loremaster

were the looters euro or us players?

Darq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #40
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Windstalker wrote:

The current items are only around for a limited time and they are part of the evolving world story which I will leave at that.

So basically it's a repeat of the TSO prelude events with the shadowed weapons.

My speculation: we're going to the Ethernere for the next expansion, or if not directly there, some realm(s) related to it. Or we're going to the moon (Drinal), which I SINCERELY HOPE DOES NOT HAPPEN (but I'd still play even if it did, /sigh).

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #41
ranga

Loremaster

Cyliena wrote:

Windstalker wrote:

The current items are only around for a limited time and they are part of the evolving world story which I will leave at that.

My speculation: we're going to the Ethernere for the next expansion, or if not directly there, some realm(s) related to it. Or we're going to the moon (Drinal), which I SINCERELY HOPE DOES NOT HAPPEN (but I'd still play even if it did, /sigh).

We paid for DoV already how long ago? How long till we actually get the rest of it? They have been talking about the rest of the Wastes for like, ever SMILEY

We do not think about a transfer of US server chars from EU costumers in Eq2. That should solve the biggest worries the EQ2 community has at the moment. We do not want to interfere with long build ingame relationships. This is the current way we think about it.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
Grumble69

Loremaster

I'm just guessing, but I bet these weapons will be more commonly available in new heroic content (the next progression).  i.e. they're a sneak peak of what is to come.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #43
Yimway

Loremaster

Cyliena wrote:

Windstalker wrote:

My prediction is the Ethernere will be floating islands in the sky...

Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
Tiatus

Loremaster

I scored a Sword in Chelsith droped of a reg mob  in an Exquisite Chest , do they only come in Exquisite chests ?

Tiatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #45
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I like when there are rare things in the game. Some people will always complain because they can't get one, and that's fine. But, after however long I've played this game I've decided this game has the worst streaky RNG I've ever seen. From failing FD multiple times in a row to the same master dropping twice on numerous occasions... and everything in between.

Yeah i have killed enough mobs to get about 65 or so AA points on one of my alts and haven't seen one.  I wouldn't even know about them if it weren't for this post.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Yeah i have killed enough mobs to get about 65 or so AA points on one of my alts and haven't seen one.  I wouldn't even know about them if it weren't for this post.

At least THIS TIME, you'll have a chance to be close to 280 AA by the time you reach lv 90...

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #47
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

At least THIS TIME, you'll have a chance to be close to 280 AA by the time you reach lv 90...

Nah, all 28 chars were at 90 before this 280 thing went in.  I just trying to get my beastlord from 160/90 to 280/90 so he can go over 90.  Only 4 alts left to get to 92.  Once you give up on 'playing' the game and just grind molo AA does come quite fast, well at least much faster.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #48
Koleg

Lord

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Nah, all 28 chars were at 90 before this 280 thing went in.  I just trying to get my beastlord from 160/90 to 280/90 so he can go over 90.  Only 4 alts left to get to 92.  Once you give up on 'playing' the game and just grind molo AA does come quite fast, well at least much faster.

Those two highlighted statements negate each other and the bolded one is an opinion not everyone finds to be true.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Tiatus wrote:

I scored a Sword in Chelsith droped of a reg mob  in an Exquisite Chest , do they only come in Exquisite chests ?

Since the presence of an ethereal-tagged item is what causes the appearance of an exquisite chest, yes.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #50
gourdon

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I got my first one after 4600 kills and the second after another 4700 (9300 total).  The drop chance is almost certainly lower than 1/1000 with a 99% confidence.  I haven't done the work to figure out what my 12K+ kills with two drops works out to and what the statistical confidence would be regarding the estimate.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #51
mortymer

Loremaster

so after roughly 5 thousand lvl 92 triple ups, ive obtained two random X chests, one containd a lvl 89 master monk scroll, and the other a lvl 80 momentus reactant. apperantly you have to be on teh cool kids list to get one of these to drop.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #52
Pipsissiwa

Loremaster

I've always wondered if they seed the RNG from your toon name.  My main can run a string of instances in a group and win (in the auto-loot and in rolls) nothing but meat, goblin eyes and other trash, but one of my other toons seems to take an extra share of the auto loot especially. And it has been like that for years.  I never try to get anything rare on my main any more cos it just never happens. 

Maybe there is a hidden 'luck' stat and she doesn't have any LOL

Played Since Launch: Highkeep/Butcherblock

Ratonga 92 Assassin/92 Carpenter

Fuse Guild Leader

"Everquester"

"I won't sit down, I won't shut up, but most of all I will not grow up" - Frank Turner
Pipsissiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #53
ranga

Loremaster

Pipsissiwa wrote:

I've always wondered if they seed the RNG from your toon name.  My main can run a string of instances in a group and win (in the auto-loot and in rolls) nothing but meat, goblin eyes and other trash, but one of my other toons seems to take an extra share of the auto loot especially. And it has been like that for years.  I never try to get anything rare on my main any more cos it just never happens. 

I have thought the same many times and each time I do, the rng becomes kinder for a while throwing the whole concept out the window until the next lean period lol.

But I know how you feel, I have been killing non stop since I read about these and I am still as far away from getting one as I was then.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #54
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Those two highlighted statements negate each other and the bolded one is an opinion not everyone finds to be true.

Not sure what you mean by 'negate each other'.  I had 28 level 90 characters with AA from 120 to 320, before there was a 280aa barrier to progress.

You may have a different experience leveling, but on Guk people won't take you in a group if you aren't in EM raid gear when there are PuGs.

I have killed 1000s of mobs no ethereal, but then I am generally mentored down to maximize aa gain and I have heard a rumor that mentoring means they dont drop for you.  Since $OE doesn't give much information to meer mortals who knows.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #55
gourdon

Loremaster

Pipsissiwa wrote:

I have wondered if they use the character ID as a seed for the RNG rather than the name, as it does seem that certain characters have a tendency to do better.  However, my guess is that it is more just a matter of statistical clustering and observation bias.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #56
Dreamclouds

Loremaster

So where is a good place for a 92 solo player to go to get equ chests? I would love to have a place to try this out, thanks

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #57
Koleg

Lord

Have all the drops been from sentiant creatures so far?  Or maybe on the L&L list?

Certainly, if Lore is involved, there could be some form of theft which as occured or a zone type portal thingy.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #58
Mortale

Loremaster

So luckly I got one. But I cannot use it, wrong class. The scout bow. What am I suppose to do with it?

They should have some kind of "Ethereal Shard" or thinghy to drop instead.

Something that can be turned in for class appropiate item. Or at least implement some sort of exchange sistem,

since they are so rare and a lot of people most likely will get something they cannot use.

Chanses are I never see the warrior blade by the time this is over.

Just a though.

Thanks

Mortale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #59
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Mortale wrote:

So luckly I got one. But I cannot use it, wrong class. The scout bow. What am I suppose to do with it?

They should have some kind of "Ethereal Shard" or thinghy to drop instead.

Something that can be turned in for class appropiate item. Or at least implement some sort of exchange sistem,

since they are so rare and a lot of people most likely will get something they cannot use.

Chanses are I never see the warrior blade by the time this is over.

Just a though.

Thanks

Warrior blade is on Guk's broker for 10k plat.  lol

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #60
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Mortale wrote:

/1-9 "Hey guys I got an ethereal Scout Bow, but I need X class item instead ... anyone wanna trade?"

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote