EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster
Vinyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 690
Default

With the revamp of Qeynos and Freeport done, I feel like these cities are far too empty for all of the time that was put into them. People are STILL just sitting in their guild halls, and this makes the world feel so much more empty.

I come to you, with an idea to remedy this.

With each city having a crafting station, these are now going to become super duper important.

*The numbers I am going to use have no real meaning, or value. They are just taking up a number slot*

There will be a quest that a crafter will pick up. It will require them to craft 100 max level items of their profession. Upon completion of the quest, it will give a city-wide buff to everyone in the city (scaling to level of course).

Yes I realize that this might just get people in the city for the buff, but I still strongly feel, and believe, that it is better than just having these cities sit at such a low population, and have everyone just afk in their guild hall. Seeing other players in the world is what an MMO is all about.

Now, the buff would be based on your specialization. As in, an armorer would give a defensive buff, a weaponsmith would give an offensive melee buff, sage a caster buff....etc, etc. 

These buffs would also last 2 hours. 1 hour just isn't enough to get done. With 2 hours, guilds could come into the city before raid time, and the community could come together to buff up their raiders to go fight evil and collect phat loot.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

What's funny is that I was thinking about this the other day.  Years ago there were complaints of lag in the cities due to all the players and crafting.  So guild halls were created.  Now folks have the mistaken impression there are few players because they are dispersed over thousands of zones.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Pariel

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 63
Default

I like the idea, bringing life into the cities would be excellent. I PM'd Rothgar quite a while ago with this idea

My idea is a simple one - we can load our player houses with chests, crates, sideboards, weapon racks to sell goods. Would it be possible for us to have actual NPC's in there to sell from. 

We could set them up behind counters - we could clothe them (as you can tradeskill apprentices), give them words to say (as per Dungeon Maker phrases). It would enhance the Housing Leaderboards and you'd see shops opening all over Norrath - Jewellery Stores, Chemists, Clothing and Armor stores, bakery stores!

What would be extra cool is if we could rename our properties. Having more than one property now means we could have a home for living in, but then have a second or third property to turn into a shop! With a distinctive name we could advertise and people would know what to look for.

Of course the idea came straight out of SWG - but it was good - I had a furniture superstore, where I displayed my wares, had counters and my NPC's behind the counters interacting with my customers. 

Or....! To bring life back into Freeport, Qeynos etc, shops to rent, merchant tents to rent rather than us using our own houses - not instanced, just buildings you can go in and rent,  -  which you can then kit out yourself with decorations, NPC's, place the furniture you've just crafted, have mannequins to show off the armor, weapons we make...  etc. Players would then visit this row of shops in, for example, Qeynos Harbor, the tents going up to the main square, or stores along side the river heading toward South Qeynos. 

Specifically about bringing life into the cities

__________________
================================

UK player, SOE account forever
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage
Rank: Captain

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,982
Default

now for the crushing way this works to your idea.

they did this in EQ1 with MGB. Mass Group Buff. someone could buff a raid force worth of toons with 1 cast of thier spell.

what happened was hundred of people crowding around the place all the MGBers were. MASSSSSSSSSIIIIIIVE lag.

now lets take your idea of a crafter giving a zonewide buff.

Qeynos is 2 zones, not one, or starters. but lets ignore that for now.

what will actually happen, is dozens and dozens and dozens of people crowded at the transport bells, and or gates out of the city. they are not going to go to the broker or go shopping or any of that. they are going to congregate around the area that will let them leave the second the buff(s) get(s) applied.

which means huge lag by the palace. huge lag by the lionsmane inn huge lag on the docks

HUGE lag by the broker in freeport. pretty much everyplace there is a bell, you will probably get big lag. and in freeport, considering one of the bells is not 2 feet from a broker...you can imagine.

to get people into the cities, they need to make it worth players while to be there. they need to do things like make those merchants sell actual USEFUL items. problem is, if they do, it'll hurt the crafters. especially the ones that only really sell consumables.

nobody uses what the city merchants sell. players make much better food, drink, armor, weapons, and ammo.

I woudl say let the merchants sell eqivilant or slightly different versions. for example, the rheutium field point arrows I use. let those stats get put on a city merchant arrow that say has slashing damage instead of crushing. call them Ironforge Issue arrows.

then have molds for sale. those molds will allow a crafter to make those arrows, but it's 1 mold per stack, and the molds are lore. place the arrow vender close to a woodworker bench. that way the player makes his arrows in the open, the merchant isn't some huge distance away.

it was again something they did in EQ1. alot of ts needed merchant bought supplies. they just put the merchant next to the forge/alchemy table what have you...or at the very least fairly close to it.

make the arrows cheap. so that the player making the rheunium arrows either have to match the merchant, or risk losing business. giving a city merchant an edge or a different but equal option on consumables would be nice to keep the broker prices reasonable as well, and if the broker prices are unjust to someone, they can buy supplies in teh cities that won't hugely hurt thier damage.

have armorsmiths and weaponsmiths make appearance armors and weapons of particular styles.

like I would love to see a white/gold version of my gold hoarders armor that only city merhants sell. have them sell the city guard armors in other colors. gold sets, white sets, black sets, red sets etc.

this would a) lower the stupid high prices on 'appearance' armor drops, and b) give people a reason to shop the city armor/weapon merchants for appearances.

heck put some of the appearance you took out, like the blissful awareness look, and put it on a city merchant.

you could do the same with leather and cloth. ( I bet that polarizes pants of disturbance look with different colors would be a BIG seller)

hell recolor some of your SC armor sets and put them on the merchants. if I want one color, I use SC, if I want the other color, I spend plat or hell goblin gold for the SC color options.

EDIT:

Oh and when I say 'city merchants' I DON'T mean those two status merchants or the faction merchants. I mean those plain old city merchants spread out all over the zones

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Filly67

Loremaster
Filly67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 518
Default

No thanks, crowded cities are not my idea of a good game playing experience.  The Guild Halls are perfect and the cities function very well as is.

__________________
Filly67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
CanadianBrew

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
Default

I agree something needs to be done to take this game back to a MMO from a solo feel game...before it is just that..1 player lol

__________________
CanadianBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
General_Info

Lord
General_Info's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 658
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

There will be a quest that a crafter will pick up. It will require them to craft 100 max level items of their profession. Upon completion of the quest, it will give a city-wide buff to everyone in the city (scaling to level of course).

Yes I realize that this might just get people in the city for the buff, but I still strongly feel, and believe, that it is better than just having these cities sit at such a low population, and have everyone just afk in their guild hall. Seeing other players in the world is what an MMO is all about.

Now, the buff would be based on your specialization. As in, an armorer would give a defensive buff, a weaponsmith would give an offensive melee buff, sage a caster buff....etc, etc. 

These buffs would also last 2 hours. 1 hour just isn't enough to get done. With 2 hours, guilds could come into the city before raid time, and the community could come together to buff up their raiders to go fight evil and collect phat loot.

Why should the efforts of crafters buff people for combat who just happen to be in the zone sitting, standing or walking around? If you want a buff it has to be a tradeskill one which is activated after a certain number of zonewide crafts of fair difficulty or harder which is removed when you leave the zone.

If you want a buff for skyshrine content ask them to add withered lands and skyshrine to the area condition of the 'honor lodizal' buff.

__________________
General_Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Rendoir

Loremaster
Rendoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 212
Default

This is what happens in vanguard.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Luhai

Loremaster
Luhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 679
Default

Putting all kinds of amenities into Guild Halls killed the cities.

Imagine how lively the cities would be if there were no broker amenity and no travel system (with the exception of the flag dude) for Guild Halls.

It's just too late to remove these things at this time. People got used to having these and would go ballistic if some of those amenities would be taken away now.

__________________
Luhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

Luhai wrote:

Putting all kinds of amenities into Guild Halls killed the cities.

Imagine how lively the cities would be if there were no broker amenity and no travel system (with the exception of the flag dude) for Guild Halls.

It's just too late to remove these things at this time. People got used to having these and would go ballistic if some of those amenities would be taken away now.

Agreed, 100%.Unfortunately, those who like to sit in "private guild halls" have been heavily pampered. They now believe they are entitled to, by default, everything which bigger guilds can get. If SOE tried to correct the wrongs, it would cause "outrage" among the pampered folk. So we're largely stuck with a gameplay design which goes against a significant MMO concept, we should be getting more encouragement for interaction, not less.I remember hanging out in Longshadow Alley, back in the day (server: Lavastorm). A number of regular faces would be in and out, around the bank, the center platform, and in the tradeskill area. The inevitable occured, a lot of us started to talk with each other, even though we were in different guilds, and different playstyles. The games design inspired social interaction.I remember EFP and QH being havens for people to flaunt their new stuff, to LFG, where people would duel, where druids would give/sell portals. It was always a more "boisterous" version of the city sub-sectors.Now? The said zones are either removed (subburbs), or all but ghost towns compared to their former self. From the guild hall, I click a flag to SS, and 10 meters away are the portals which take me to private instances. The guild hall I was in, has a private banker, broker, and complete outfit of tradeskill amenities. It even has amenities that go out and harvest for me, so I do not have to. The game design which inspired interaction between people of different playstyles, by putting them together, is gone. And it shows.Edit to add : A lot of people did NOT like that SOE removed the Qeynos/Freeport subburbs. I did not care that they were removed on a technical level, they were already redundant due to Guild Halls. What irked me, is the memory of what those zones once provided, when game design encouraged use of the subburbs. Meeting people, interacting with people, etc, it made EQ2 feel like an MMO, not Skyrim with IRC attached. The removal of these zones, felt like burying the same beloved pet, twice. A part of EQ2 I enjoyed, gone, and gone again.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Aneova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default

Threads like this pop up what? every 6-12 months since guild halls were introduced? Please leave the horse alone it's already dead.

__________________
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=438341

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Threads like this pop up what? every 6-12 months since guild halls were introduced? Please leave the horse alone it's already dead.

Maybe there is a reason it keeps popping up? And the horse is no more dead than beastlords.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
SteelPiston

Loremaster
SteelPiston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 143
Default

The easiest way to get people out of the guild halls is to remove the guild hall banker and broker. The merchant can stay to drop all the collected junk on. So long as there is a bank, a broker, and a guild rally flag, people have no reason to leave the guild hall.

They'll all whine about jostling around a broker in Freeport of Qeynos, and lag issues, but at least you'll get to see who's who and get a feel of how many players are about. You'll also see the broker bots standing there 24/7.

__________________
Deadraiser 92 Inquisitor - Freeport.
SteelPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Iad

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Default

This topic comes up every now and then. There is rarely a reason to go to a city when you have a guild hall. Until cities become more convient than guild halls they will continue to go unused by many people, regardless of how many times they are revamped.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Filly67

Loremaster
Filly67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 518
Default

SteelPiston wrote:

The easiest way to get people out of the guild halls is to remove the guild hall banker and broker. The merchant can stay to drop all the collected junk on. So long as there is a bank, a broker, and a guild rally flag, people have no reason to leave the guild hall.

They'll all whine about jostling around a broker in Freeport of Qeynos, and lag issues, but at least you'll get to see who's who and get a feel of how many players are about. You'll also see the broker bots standing there 24/7.

Great, so now you are proposing taking away amenities that we have earned so you can go out and see the people.  Also, you don't want to hear whining over this happening yet you are whining about it not happening.  If you want to see the people go hook up with all of the other people that need to feel like they are hanging out with their townies and you can all hold hands with each other in the town center. 

__________________
Filly67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster
Vinyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 690
Default

It's 2012. No city should lag, especially with the..what is it, 50 person cap on zones?

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
Kasar

Loremaster
Kasar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 540
Default

Do people still think guild halls are why populations seem anemic?

From the two guilds I was involved in, the halls were also ghost towns.. when someone bothered to pay the rent.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It's 2012. No city should lag, especially with the..what is it, 50 person cap on zones?

City zones used to have no population cap, being the only type of zone that never spawned new instances. I assume they are still like that, though I haven't seen enough people in a city at once to test that theory in years.

Why do people care so much about forcing people to cram into the city zones, anyways? I remember when you had to go to cities for everything, and I can't think of any way in which that was better. Nobody really did much interaction, you just had larger crowds sitting silently around the broker. You can already communicate with everybody on the server via the global chat channels without needing to be in the same zone, so I don't see much of a social benefit. Also, keep in mind that there are now 6 complete cities in the game, and several other zones with basic amenities, so you probably still wouldn't see all that many people in a single city at any given time.

I am in Spellbound, which was the 8th largest guild in the entire game back when they still displayed those rankings on the main EQ2 website. We've had a T3 guild hall since the day guild halls became available, and I can tell you from experience, people generally don't spend a large amount of time just "hanging out" in guild halls. Sometimes we have members who choose to leave their character AFK in the hall instead of logging out overnight, but other than that, you generally only see people in the hall when they are crafting or browsing the broker, and neither activity is particularly conducive to interaction. Which is fine, because we generally interact via guild chat anyway, from whatever zones we happen to be in at the time.

So I guess my question is: why do you want people "out of guild halls and into the cities" anyway? What problem would this solve?

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

So I guess my question is: why do you want people "out of guild halls and into the cities" anyway? What problem would this solve?

I pretty much agree with Cheeseman, because I also don't remember the golden age of player interaction, prior to the guild halls. I know there were lots of people standing around in Qeynos & Freeport, but that doesn't necessarily mean "interaction."

As for me, I interact with my guildies.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It's 2012. No city should lag, especially with the..what is it, 50 person cap on zones?

City zones used to have no population cap, being the only type of zone that never spawned new instances. I assume they are still like that, though I haven't seen enough people in a city at once to test that theory in years.

Why do people care so much about forcing people to cram into the city zones, anyways? I remember when you had to go to cities for everything, and I can't think of any way in which that was better. Nobody really did much interaction, you just had larger crowds sitting silently around the broker. You can already communicate with everybody on the server via the global chat channels without needing to be in the same zone, so I don't see much of a social benefit. Also, keep in mind that there are now 6 complete cities in the game, and several other zones with basic amenities, so you probably still wouldn't see all that many people in a single city at any given time.

I am in Spellbound, which was the 8th largest guild in the entire game back when they still displayed those rankings on the main EQ2 website. We've had a T3 guild hall since the day guild halls became available, and I can tell you from experience, people generally don't spend a large amount of time just "hanging out" in guild halls. Sometimes we have members who choose to leave their character AFK in the hall instead of logging out overnight, but other than that, you generally only see people in the hall when they are crafting or browsing the broker, and neither activity is particularly conducive to interaction. Which is fine, because we generally interact via guild chat anyway, from whatever zones we happen to be in at the time.

So I guess my question is: why do you want people "out of guild halls and into the cities" anyway? What problem would this solve?

Server chat channels were great, at first. But it did not take long for them to turn into narcissistic cesspools, even on the Freeport server, where it was all lovey-dovey at first. The said channels provide no encouragement for interaction, and people are often mocked if they ask questions. Server channels are little more than SLR/WTB, and people talking trash. And against popular belief, on many servers, the most narcissistic trash talkers are NOT high end raiders.And why do some people care? Because some people want to play an MMO. SOE keeps making Norrath feel more and more unpopulated, by continually reducing the visibility of other player actions. I have seen numerous occasions where lowbies ask "Where is everyone? Is this game dead?". This is a bad impression to make on new players. A game bustling with activity is more likely to interest them, than a ghost town.Not everyone needed to talk to every player they walked past, for the old game design (cities being a go-to place) to be successful. It only needed to inspire occasional communication as a result of repeated exposure, to serve great benefit. Now it is removed, and nothing productive replaced it. The old design allowed me to meet people I otherwise would have never met, under the current gaming environment.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #21
Drupal

Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 105
Default

Too little too late.  Next please.

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Server chat channels were great, at first. But it did not take long for them to turn into narcissistic cesspools, even on the Freeport server, where it was all lovey-dovey at first. The said channels provide no encouragement for interaction, and people are often mocked if they ask questions. Server channels are little more than SLR/WTB, and people talking trash. And against popular belief, on many servers, the most narcissistic trash talkers are NOT high end raiders.And why do some people care? Because some people want to play an MMO. SOE keeps making Norrath feel more and more unpopulated, by continually reducing the visibility of other player actions. I have seen numerous occasions where lowbies ask "Where is everyone? Is this game dead?". This is a bad impression to make on new players. A game bustling with activity is more likely to interest them, than a ghost town.Not everyone needed to talk to every player they walked past, for the old game design (cities being a go-to place) to be successful. It only needed to inspire occasional communication as a result of repeated exposure, to serve great benefit. Now it is removed, and nothing productive replaced it. The old design allowed me to meet people I otherwise would have never met, under the current gaming environment.

Your grim opinion of global chat does not reflect the reality of my server's culture at all. I can't help but think that the real problem may not be the attitudes of the other people in chat.

As mentioned above, there are 6 full cities and hundreds of instances and adventure zones in the game today. The population is spread across a massive world, and therefore any one area will not seem all that crowded. New players are generally first introduced to the newbie zones, where nobody really hangs out for more than the 2-3 hours it takes to outlevel the content. Also, I am pretty sure that most new players are more interested in figuring out how the game works and killing some monsters to take their stuff than taking census. In any case, they have full access to the entire server's social network via the global chat channels.

What benefit does walking past a lot of people in a city actually serve? I believe that most MMO players are computer literate enough to understand that you can communicate with people over the Internet without having to actually see them. You can send people tells from anywhere if you want to speak privately, and if you're just chatting to pass the time, why not do so in global chat so others can share in the conversation? You don't get to know people or become part of the community by staring at strangers while they browse the broker. You have to group with them, chat with them in global channels, and share experiences. None of that has ever really taken place in cities.

Forcing people into the same location does not inherently facilitate community. Communities form around shared interests and experiences, not simply shared space.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #23
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Server chat channels were great, at first. But it did not take long for them to turn into narcissistic cesspools, even on the Freeport server, where it was all lovey-dovey at first. The said channels provide no encouragement for interaction, and people are often mocked if they ask questions. Server channels are little more than SLR/WTB, and people talking trash. And against popular belief, on many servers, the most narcissistic trash talkers are NOT high end raiders.And why do some people care? Because some people want to play an MMO. SOE keeps making Norrath feel more and more unpopulated, by continually reducing the visibility of other player actions. I have seen numerous occasions where lowbies ask "Where is everyone? Is this game dead?". This is a bad impression to make on new players. A game bustling with activity is more likely to interest them, than a ghost town.Not everyone needed to talk to every player they walked past, for the old game design (cities being a go-to place) to be successful. It only needed to inspire occasional communication as a result of repeated exposure, to serve great benefit. Now it is removed, and nothing productive replaced it. The old design allowed me to meet people I otherwise would have never met, under the current gaming environment.

I agree with Avirodar on the server chat channels, which is why I usually turn them all off. Sometimes, if I'm bored, I turn the 1-9 channel on, but not usually for very long. Certainly I don't view them as "community."

As for the MMO portion .... well, as I implied above, my guild is my MMO. I interact with them, & that's MMO enough for me. I realize others have different objectives & desires, but I'm not convinced that people will leave the comfort of their guild halls just to receive a zone-wide buff -- especially if said buff is temporary.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Your grim opinion of global chat does not reflect the reality of my server's culture at all. I can't help but think that the real problem may not be the attitudes of the other people in chat.

As mentioned above, there are 6 full cities and hundreds of instances and adventure zones in the game today. The population is spread across a massive world, and therefore any one area will not seem all that crowded. New players are generally first introduced to the newbie zones, where nobody really hangs out for more than the 2-3 hours it takes to outlevel the content. Also, I am pretty sure that most new players are more interested in figuring out how the game works and killing some monsters to take their stuff than taking census. In any case, they have full access to the entire server's social network via the global chat channels.

What benefit does walking past a lot of people in a city actually serve? I believe that most MMO players are computer literate enough to understand that you can communicate with people over the Internet without having to actually see them. You can send people tells from anywhere if you want to speak privately, and if you're just chatting to pass the time, why not do so in global chat so others can share in the conversation? You don't get to know people or become part of the community by staring at strangers while they browse the broker. You have to group with them, chat with them in global channels, and share experiences. None of that has ever really taken place in cities.

Forcing people into the same location does not inherently facilitate community. Communities form around shared interests and experiences, not simply shared space.

Permafrost may have a different "culture" to other servers, I will log a character on Permafrost in the evening, and assess the difference between Permafrost to Oasis/Crushbone/AB/Freeport. In the last hour, there has only been 2 lines of text on Permafrost 1-9 chat, from a guy LFG. I sent them a tell asking if they got a group. They did not. They mused about how some days they can be LFG for hours, and still end up playing an MMO all on their own. And I did not even ask them about being LFG on other days, they mentioned that on their own volition.Shared interest does not inherently facilitate community either. But like shared interest, shared space is a notable element of sparking friendships. So what benefit does walking past people in a city actually serve? It has already been said multiple times, you're just choosing to ignore it.Yes, there is multiple starting cities and hundreds of instances. The game is habitually adding elements which seperate and divide the playerbase, and also systematically reducing elements which bring them together. Guild halls have had a big impact on this, which is why these threads often pop up. Just because YOU did not make any EQ2 acquaintance's/friends from your travels through cities, does not mean no one else did.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Just because YOU did not make any EQ2 acquaintance's/friends from your travels through cities, does not mean no one else did.

I suspect -- but clearly can not prove -- that most players make more acquaintances & even friends by joining a guild than any other method. I'd rather continue down that road than ask for some sort of zone-wide buff in hopes of getting people out of their guild halls.

I wonder how many new players know they can just push U, to get a listing of all the guilds on their server which are recruiting? Even if you join one of the much-maligned (in some cases, wrongly maligned) "n00b" guilds, that's better than going it alone, especially in the lower levels. Of course, the guild recruitment page itself could undoubtedly use a face-lift & better functionality, but still I'd prefer to see guilds strengthened & emphasized than random player meets in the cities.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Guild halls ruined the need for cities, but I never cared to stop and talk to anyone in the city anyway. I went to town, did what I needed to do, and left...talking to random people or gawking at random dock jumpers didn't factor in.

===edit===

Same went for waiting for boats and spires. I don't care who's standing next to me. I'm not looking to strike up a conversation with a stranger. Spires at least you could afk and be where you want to be when you get back with your sammich and beverage.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

Freejazzlive wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Just because YOU did not make any EQ2 acquaintance's/friends from your travels through cities, does not mean no one else did.

I suspect -- but clearly can not prove -- that most players make more acquaintances & even friends by joining a guild than any other method. I'd rather continue down that road than ask for some sort of zone-wide buff in hopes of getting people out of their guild halls.

I wonder how many new players know they can just push U, to get a listing of all the guilds on their server which are recruiting? Even if you join one of the much-maligned (in some cases, wrongly maligned) "n00b" guilds, that's better than going it alone, especially in the lower levels. Of course, the guild recruitment page itself could undoubtedly use a face-lift & better functionality, but still I'd prefer to see guilds strengthened & emphasized than random player meets in the cities.

You're very likely correct, that most players make more acquantances and friends once they are in a guild. But what gets them in the said guild? What gets the ball rolling, to start with? For me, it was meeting people while out adventuring, and meeting people in cities. My first guild invite resulted from talking to someone in Longshadow Alley.And I agree that the recruitment page could definitely use an upgrade.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Just because YOU did not make any EQ2 acquaintance's/friends from your travels through cities, does not mean no one else did.

I suspect -- but clearly can not prove -- that most players make more acquaintances & even friends by joining a guild than any other method. I'd rather continue down that road than ask for some sort of zone-wide buff in hopes of getting people out of their guild halls.

I wonder how many new players know they can just push U, to get a listing of all the guilds on their server which are recruiting? Even if you join one of the much-maligned (in some cases, wrongly maligned) "n00b" guilds, that's better than going it alone, especially in the lower levels. Of course, the guild recruitment page itself could undoubtedly use a face-lift & better functionality, but still I'd prefer to see guilds strengthened & emphasized than random player meets in the cities.

You're very likely correct, that most players make more acquantances and friends once they are in a guild. But what gets them in the said guild? What gets the ball rolling, to start with? For me, it was meeting people while out adventuring, and meeting people in cities. My first guild invite resulted from talking to someone in Longshadow Alley.And I agree that the recruitment page could definitely use an upgrade.

A random tell in 2005 got me into my current guild. I strayed a bit with alts for raiding before the current guild decided to casually raid. Nothing at all about people standing on the docks or around the broker persuaded me to talk to some random person. I might as well /who all and start talking to somebody. I don't understand this idea that when people were in the city, random conversations popped up every 30 seconds and superfriends were made.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

In truth, I really don't want to spend time zoning between my GH and the cities.  And particularly I don't want some artificial mechanic thrown in for only that purpose.

I already have to keep zoning between the GH and my housing for some silly reason (why I can't have an apprentice tab on my global craft/recipe window, I'll never understand).

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
decator666

Champion
decator666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 160
Default

I don't know if it's just me but I don't hang out in Quenos because it's really confusing and annoying.  I like freeport's layou though.  I'm just surprised that when they revamped Quenos they didn't make it non-instanced.  Fortunately I can ask a guard and usually get a hint on what I'm looking for, but not always...especially if what i'm looking for is in a different segment of the city.  There is no need to make a city soooo huge that it can't just be on 1 map.

And it is true that people do not socialize much in this game.  When I go to a city and there a lot of people there, they are generally doing their own thing and socializing just doesn't happen.  Guildhalls have made it easy to craft and do work orders without the hassle of a poorly laid out crafting center.

__________________
92 Provisioner

92 Carpenter

92 Weaponsmith

92 Woodworker

92 Tailor

92 Armorsmith

92 Scribe
decator666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.