EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Amnerys

Community Team

This thread is for feedback about the ProSiebenSat.1 Games Group FAQ.

Please see the ProSiebenSat.1 Games Group FAQ to learn more about the details of the SOE and ProsiebenSat.1 Games Group.

Amnerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Gravy

Lord

Can players still access the U.S. servers? Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games’s service and will not have access to U.S. servers.  However, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts. Can U.S. players log on to the European servers? U.S.-based players will have access to the U.S. servers only.

Kind of a big change.

Previously a US player could make many characters over the limit by playing on the European servers. It seems like if you are a US player you won't  have access to those servers any longer.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Raislisa
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Taladega Knights

Loremaster

So we can't play with our US friends on Splitpaw anymore, where will they go, and will you be giving us from the uk (europe)  the opportunity to move to the an US server with them and you pay for all characters and guilds to be transferred, as this is the worst kick in the teeth you ever given us. 

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Region Lockouts. Now how did we not see that coming? SMILEY
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Arbreth

Loremaster

So the answer to the question I saw most relevance and anxiety from the other thread:

Can players still access the U.S. servers?Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games’s service and will not have access to U.S. servers.  However, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts. Can U.S. players log on to the European servers?U.S.-based players will have access to the U.S. servers only.

We have many Euros that play on AB and I would hate to lose even one of them due to a locking of the doors.

Arbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Gladiolus

Loremaster

How does this affect new characters on old accounts? Or new accounts by existing customers? Will there be free server transfers?

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Banedon_Toran

Lord

OK, putting aside my feeling of gut-wrenching betrayal...

Will European players on US Servers be given the ability to also transfer their guild, guild hall and progress so far to the ProSiebenSat servers?

Since i'm in the position of being leader of Elements guild on both Freeport and Antonia Bayle (level 60 and 54 respectively) I'd be looking at moving one of those guilds to the ProSiebenSat server and allowing the two halves of our membership to continue the Elements name.

Banedon_Toran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Arbreth wrote:

So the answer to the question I saw most relevance and anxiety from the other thread:

Can players still access the U.S. servers?Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games’s service and will not have access to U.S. servers.  However, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts. Can U.S. players log on to the European servers?U.S.-based players will have access to the U.S. servers only.

We have many Euros that play on AB and I would hate to lose even one of them due to a locking of the doors.

I am sure SOE will say...

"But they can keep playing using their SOE accounts."

However:

As soon as they need support they will have to create a PSS1 account and WHAM no longer able to play

or

As soon as they want to use one of the empty slots on their account..WHAM... they will find that they can no longer do this.

or

They will say...."We said they can continue playing during the TRANSTION..." meaning that the EUROs on the US servers will probably find themselves forced to move at some point in the near future.

So SOE will make much of the fact that they are letting existing Euros continue playing on US servers using the SOE accoutn while completely downplaying the limitations and transient nature of that tidbit.

So long EUROS....nice to have known you.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Lempo

Loremaster

Arbreth wrote:

You won't be losing any Euro players on AB according to this but there will be no new ones, and some will probably go away because they can not get friends and family to sign up and get an account on AB.

Like I said over nad over in the initial thread on this the fact that there was a total lack of response to the only real question in there which was about region locking could not possibly be a good thing only be a bad thing.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Buggabug

Loremaster

Unfortunately this will end my relationship with EQ2 and with SOE. The lack of security with the new company and the switch from SC to the Alaplaya Points is just too much. I'm beyond sad and yes, make fun if you like, shedding some tears over the loss of some pretty special toons.

Buggabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Geothe

Loremaster

LOL.So SoE merges EQ2X and EQ2Live servers into one system because they "didn't want to divide the player base" and now they divide the player base in an even bigger manner.Wow, illogical reasoning at its finest at SoE, as usual!

BRAVO!

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Avacii
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Validus

Loremaster

There are countless non-european based players on Splitpaw who, for reasons of their own, do not wish to play at "peak time" in their own timezone and you've just ruined the game for them.When those players are denied their playing times with their Splitpaw guilds do you really think they will transfer to a server which is dead during the times they can play?And this is going to really hurt recruitment for european guilds when you remove the non-european player pool

Congratulations on signing the slow death warrant for several more guilds on Splitpaw.

Avacii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Dungbeard

Loremaster

What about Australians who currently play on Splitpaw?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Annaliana
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Acta non Verba

Loremaster

Can players still access the U.S. servers? Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games’s service and will not have access to U.S. servers.  However, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts.

I really hope this is true, after 6 years on the US servers, if I could no longer play with the good friends I have made on AB, I'm gone.

Annaliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Lempo

Loremaster

Dungbeard wrote:

What about Australians who currently play on Splitpaw?

The SOE/PSS digital wall does not discriminate.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Ariellia

Otaku

As I'm a US player on AB, this doesn't directly affect me, however, one of the things I loved about playing EQ2 was the opportunity to meet and interact with people with all over the world. AB has a lot of international players, and our guild has members from several different countries, including ones in Europe. We'd have fascinating conversations about our respective countries (for example, when the riots in England were ongoing, it was enlightening to hear first-hand accounts of what was going on), and if I ever make it over to where they live, they are folks I'd love to visit.

It makes me kind of sad that SOE is moving towards completely segregating international players. There will be no new players from Europe on AB, and from what I'm reading here, it's likely no European players will be allowed on US servers for EQ3. It's sad since it diminishes the experience of US players like me as well

Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
fatherjules

Loremaster

all I can say is simply, THIS SUCKS, i have friends, guild mates and raiding colleagues who will be region barred simply because they are based in the US.. for pity sake, this is the World Wide Web... not a euro intranet!

fatherjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Magpie1

Loremaster

When Everquest and Everquest II were launched one of their biggest selling points was the fact that they broke down barriers between cultures and allowed us (players) to meet new friends across the world. Indeed it was one of the fundamentally great things about an MMRPG. I spent my early days on a US server due to work commitments in Canada and it was great to be able to keep in touch with my friends at home, via the game, and make new friends in the US.

It is a sad, sad day when you deliberately choose to rebuild those barriers and isolate yourselves again. I will dearly miss those friends whom will soon have to leave us. Shame on you SOE, of all the things you have done this one is by far the one that may stick in the gullet just a bit too much. The impact of this decision, I suspect, will be more profound that you realise.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Gladiolus

Loremaster

I live in Europe and have a station account with characters on Freeport and Splitpaw, as well as in Vanguard. What will I have left when this is finished? I'm not going to keep paying SOE as well as paying ProSieben.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Wurm

Loremaster

Slimebag move SOE. 

Thanks for remembering all the US Service Members stationed in Europe who like(d) to play your games.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Onorem

Loremaster

ProSieben is best known for its TV channels. Does it have the internal teams with the skill-set to support MMO games? ProSiebenSat.1 Games employs highly skilled and passionate MMO players. These skills, combined with the broadcasting and entertainment experience of the ProSiebenSat.1 Group, will be the key to attracting new audiences into SOE games.

They have highly skilled and passionate players. Is that what it takes to support an MMO? Broadcasting/entertainment/attracting new players has nothing to do with the question that you wrote for yourself to answer for yourself.

Will there be any changes applied to the new Free-to-Play concept or will the games continue to stay Free-to-Play? At SOE, we view free-to-play as a big part of our future and we strive to follow a business model philosophy of Free to Play. Your Way, meaning that the decision is in the players’ hands so they can play the games on their terms. Giving players choices is the theme of how we’re moving forward as a company. 

Is that a yes or a no? Clearly the cash shop isn't going away, but the canned response doesn't actually answer the question.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
thewarriorpoet

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

When Everquest and Everquest II were launched one of their biggest selling points was the fact that they broke down barriers between cultures and allowed us (players) to meet new friends across the world. Indeed it was one of the fundamentally great things about an MMRPG. I spent my early days on a US server due to work commitments in Canada and it was great to be able to keep in touch with my friends at home, via the game, and make new friends in the US.

It is a sad, sad day when you deliberately choose to rebuild those barriers and isolate yourselves again. I will dearly miss those friends whom will soon have to leave us. Shame on you SOE, of all the things you have done this one is by far the one that may stick in the gullet just a bit too much. The impact of this decision, I suspect, will be more profound that you realise.

Exactly!

We were fed some line about how going FTP on all servers was in the best interest of everyone because it pulled down the walls seperating the players. Now, it isn't that I disagree (I actually agree with that), but how can you realize that and then do this?!?! what the heck SOE, get yoru stuff together and educate the execs making the aweful decisions.

thewarriorpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
Finora

Tester

feldon30 wrote:

Region Lockouts. Now how did we not see that coming?

I saw it coming soon as they announced the ProSieben thing to begin with. I was hoping it wouldn't be but I really feared it would.

I find it awful. One of the best things over the years with SOE games was that you could play with people from all over the world.

I'm very disappointed that it's come to this.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
Wurm

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

ProSieben is best known for its TV channels. Does it have the internal teams with the skill-set to support MMO games? ProSiebenSat.1 Games employs highly skilled and passionate MMO players. These skills, combined with the broadcasting and entertainment experience of the ProSiebenSat.1 Group, will be the key to attracting new audiences into SOE games.

They have highly skilled and passionate players. Is that what it takes to support an MMO? Broadcasting/entertainment/attracting new players has nothing to do with the question that you wrote for yourself to answer for yourself.

I play one of Pro7's "FTP" Korean MMO games on and off when I'm bored and their support is horrid.

This was a serious mistake on SOE's part, they are going to lose a lot of players over this for no good reason at all.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
Concordant

Loremaster

Arbreth wrote:

+1

This game unites people across the world.

That should stay the way it is. SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 loose if they make restrictions like this.

Concordant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5719171 Bypassing the language filter is not permitted.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
jabberwocke

Loremaster

Amnerys, can we please get some answers?

My girlfriend lives in the US, I'm in the UK, this means that she cannot come play on splitpaw?

Simple question, please can I have a simple answer

Also if you want feedback, I think this is just crazy, but do you care SOE?

jabberwocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
soulsercher

Loremaster

so, when's the funeral exactly? The region lock will now most likely keep many people from ever even trying this game. Good job. 

soulsercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #29
Onorem

Loremaster

jabberwocke wrote:

Amnerys, can we please get some answers?

My girlfriend lives in the US, I'm in the UK, this means that she cannot come play on splitpaw?

Simple question, please can I have a simple answer,

From the FAQ, it's a simple no...but I'm rooting for you.

Hope you played a character on a US server at some point. Best of luck to you. Hope you don't have to find a new game to continue to play with each other.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
MurFalad

Loremaster

This change will kill off our raiding alliance as we have US and international players who join in, and longterm it will also kill off Splitpaw since quite a few US players like the freedom to be able to play somewhere else either to get better hours or a different userbase, I forsee Splitpaw being a backwater since anyone created there is cutoff from the rest of the player base.

This also means battlegrounds are gone, and any other cross server mechanics will no longer benefit the european servers, we won't even be able to chat.

This game has been running for 7 years without these restrictions, to change all this now is going to be very very bad for EQ2.

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote