EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #1
initoci

General

Ok my name is Ravage...on Test server.
I was wondering if the Test server could have some Bonus XP because the most i ever seen on when i did a /who all was probably around 74. Most players were around 18+
Please help me wanna keep Testing things.

( This is for all the people who will argue with this post )
This is concidered Feedback, for lack of players on the server.
initoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Gallenite

Developer

initocian wrote:
Ok my name is Ravage...on Test server.
I was wondering if the Test server could have some Bonus XP because the most i ever seen on when i did a /who all was probably around 74. Most players were around 18+
Please help me wanna keep Testing things.

( This is for all the people who will argue with this post )
This is concidered Feedback, for lack of players on the server.

Funny you should mention that, friend. SMILEY  That's something we're considering as an option for people who want to use it on Test Server.  

If we did something like this, it wouldn't be required -- We understand that some people would prefer to play without this hypothetical bonus Test Server exp, so I'm sure we'd include an option to disable it.

Nothing official to announce at this point, but raising Test population, with dedicated players choosing to make it their home, continues to be a priority for us. SMILEY

- Scott
Gallenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
HanktheDwarf

Tester

Are we talking about a double on top of the double for vitality?  Because the only problem with that is you'd get people that have no interest in testing, they just want the double XP. Maybe something a little less, like unlimited vitality.  Just something to give a little bit of incentive without drawing crowds for the wrong reasons.
HanktheDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Culann Heartsto

Actually the better idea is...to do what CoH did with their Test server.

Allow people to COPY...not MOVE..COPY their characters of choice from a live server to Test.  In other words, if I copied Culann on Kithicor to Test, there would be -2-..yes TWO copies of Culann.  One on Test Server, one on Live Server. 

I'm sure someone is going to bring up server economy and all that..is that really important in the face of testing the mechanics of new code implemented on Test?  And wouldn't you (read: SOE) rather have people who have the gear, funds and -level- to test out some of these changes, rather than putting them on Test where few if any can make adequate testing and feedback, than to push almost untested changes to live for people to berserk over?

Seems almost a no brainer to me.  Test is a debug server..so why not put -efficient- debugging tools..like established and well honed characters there to do just that, debug.

On a parting note..in case it got confused somehow..By doing the aforementioned copy process, it would ensure you could continue to play your toon on both live and test servers without being committed or stuck to one or the other. 

Culann Heartsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Valta

Gallenite wrote:

Nothing official to announce at this point, but raising Test population, with dedicated players choosing to make it their home, continues to be a priority for us. SMILEY

- Scott

I understand your intention but I wonder that you havent found out, that this is not going to work (actualy not going at all). I have to agree with Culann, the test server is a test and debug server, the only reason for this one to be online is to "test things". The casual gamer have no time to raise a toon on live and on test, not to mention to raise some different characters to properly test things. You want to give your  "dedicated -testing- players" a home. Please do not forget, the number of real dedicated testers is equal to zero. The number of players on test is surely very low, but not that low (during prime time and late hours there are quite often 300+ people on), however look at the numbers who is giving feedback.

The most players who decide to make test their home over a live server is just because they see test as a hardcore server.
1) few people mean less crafters, not enough handcrafted stuff.... you actualy have a hard time getting proper equipment... it also means there is not such an influx of droped stuff into the market... the economy is more stable and for longer time
2) just a couple of players mean hard time finding a group, ther is still a lot of stuff you need a group for, yet on test (or a server with very low population) its hard to finish them... and now imagine raids, its quite an effort to organize a raid when there are only 300 people on the server and just 20 of them are lvl 50.
3) a lot of people prefer to feel like "heros" in a game like this. On live you run into a group of adventurers (heros) every few seconds, on test (or low population server) you may run for hours and see noone, hear noone.

There are some testers who realy want to test and give feedback, but dont forget why they are testing. They are testing for the live servers, they are testing for the live game to become better, so actualy, they test to see whats going on to save their toons on live servers (so they dont get nerfed) or to improve them. Only to play on test, test your stuff and give you feedback means work, work that have to be paid for. Im quite sure 90% of all test-server players are not there to realy help you out, but because of the 3 reasons posted above (or something similar).

I have 33 templar, 30 swashbuckler, 23 berserker, 23 paladin, 22 wizard and a lvl 10 brawler (soon to be monk) on the live servers, there is a TON of stuff I could test out, especialy the combat balance. The effectivness of all my chars spread more and more with every new level I attain. Its ridiculous to see what my berserker can do and my paladin can not. Im telling yo this, I would like to test things out and give as valuable feedback as possible, but Im not going to roll all my toons on test, because its just a waste of my time.
Valta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Nacire

Valtaya wrote:

Gallenite wrote:

- Scott

I understand your intention but I wonder that you havent found out, that this is not going to work (actualy not going at all). I have to agree with Culann, the test server is a test and debug server, the only reason for this one to be online is to "test things". The casual gamer have no time to raise a toon on live and on test, not to mention to raise some different characters to properly test things. You want to give your  "dedicated -testing- players" a home. Please do not forget, the number of real dedicated testers is equal to zero. The number of players on test is surely very low, but not that low (during prime time and late hours there are quite often 300+ people on), however look at the numbers who is giving feedback.

The most players who decide to make test their home over a live server is just because they see test as a hardcore server.
1) few people mean less crafters, not enough handcrafted stuff.... you actualy have a hard time getting proper equipment... it also means there is not such an influx of droped stuff into the market... the economy is more stable and for longer time
2) just a couple of players mean hard time finding a group, ther is still a lot of stuff you need a group for, yet on test (or a server with very low population) its hard to finish them... and now imagine raids, its quite an effort to organize a raid when there are only 300 people on the server and just 20 of them are lvl 50.
3) a lot of people prefer to feel like "heros" in a game like this. On live you run into a group of adventurers (heros) every few seconds, on test (or low population server) you may run for hours and see noone, hear noone.

There are some testers who realy want to test and give feedback, but dont forget why they are testing. They are testing for the live servers, they are testing for the live game to become better, so actualy, they test to see whats going on to save their toons on live servers (so they dont get nerfed) or to improve them. Only to play on test, test your stuff and give you feedback means work, work that have to be paid for. Im quite sure 90% of all test-server players are not there to realy help you out, but because of the 3 reasons posted above (or something similar).

I have 33 templar, 30 swashbuckler, 23 berserker, 23 paladin, 22 wizard and a lvl 10 brawler (soon to be monk) on the live servers, there is a TON of stuff I could test out, especialy the combat balance. The effectivness of all my chars spread more and more with every new level I attain. Its ridiculous to see what my berserker can do and my paladin can not. Im telling yo this, I would like to test things out and give as valuable feedback as possible, but Im not going to roll all my toons on test, because its just a waste of my time.

Couldn't agree more, unfotunately though SOE has sofar tried to maintain test as a normal server that just happens to get patched more often, and before other servers.  This totally destroys the usefulness of a TEST environment.  Offer those playing on test now a onetime free server move (just incase some DID play for real there) and then scrap this idea of keeping it a normal server with a faster update cycle.  Either allow the character copies mentioned above, or even a step beyond, use the stuff EQ did during some of it's test programs, or SWG did with it's "blue frog" on test server.  Instaroll, level and gear up any type toon you want.  What difference does it make how long it took someone to achieve a lvl 50 toon on a TEST server?  If you need to test content for that level you need characters to do it.  Heck you could even add the ability to instaroll toons but make it cost some sort of points to get gear beyond normal crafted for that teir, those points ONLY aquired when the character participates in the testing environment by providing real feedback that is usefull.  So a tester who's put some time into it and really made a difference can when they choose to instaroll another toon deck it out with full fabled gear and master items, but the casual tester who's just trying it out can still get a toon of any class and any level but it will only have average gear.  Make all gear aquired in this system be given pre-attuned and nothing tradeable so there is still somewhat of a market there even though it would be seriously smaller, though adequate for testing purposes.
Nacire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Ironcleaver

Loremaster

I'd love to "copy" my main over to test. The test server should be just that, a place to test; everything else is secondary. To get more people over to the test server I agree with: - alowing people to copy a character of thier choice over to test, the key word there is copy - install blue frogs, this helps a ton in the testing process - bonus xp is good, but the last thing I want to do on the test server is grind out levels to test new content and or anything else the devs wish to be tested. As such install a "frog" that would get xp and or levels, so people can test what you want them too test. things that shouldnt be worried about on the test server - the marketplace, eccomony, or anything down this road. The test server is a place to test systems and sub-systems, and balance. - people leveling too fast. most of the tests requires a character of a decent or high levle anyway. if a low level system needs to be tested, im sure people wouldn't mind making a new low level character. if the above happened, I know I'd help in every way possable. just my 2 cents...
Ironcleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
Kokus

General

I would definitely be spending time on the Test server every day if they could copy my character over. I really wish I could test out these changes first hand as to how it would pertain to me, and post more useful feedback, but I really have no idea exactly how the current combat changes affect me because there appears to be noone at an equivalent to me testing... SMILEY
Old 05-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
Epite

HanktheDwarf wrote:Are we talking about a double on top of the double for vitality?  Because the only problem with that is you'd get people that have no interest in testing, they just want the double XP. Maybe something a little less, like unlimited vitality.  Just something to give a little bit of incentive without drawing crowds for the wrong reasons.

who cares? more people is more people. People that come to the server for WHATEVER reason is an increase to the population that resides on test. If they come 'just for xp' then try to peer-pressure them into being more active in testing and /bug /feedback reporting. A large population of disinterested people is a LOT more easier to pressure into participating than a completely EMPTY population of absolute zero. Dont believe me? Talk to 100 people about pepsi or coke. then try to convince them to switch. Next, talk to 100 inanimate objects (such as rocks) about pepsi or coke. Then try to get THEM to switch... it should be obvious that even if you feel its difficult to make people switch thier cola preferance, it is downright impossible accomplishing the same thing with objects that are not 'alive'...
Epite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
BlargE

Long time ago in eq1, sony wiped all characters on test server without prior warning. That is the reason I will never ever play on a sony test server. The risk of seing all the work in building a char go down the drain is just too high. But, now and then i would like to test things. I read test patch notes that raises questions, but I have no way of getting answers. It would be nice if I could just copy my characters from real servers to test server, and spend an hour or two testing things, and then go back to the real server. Next time I want to test something, I want a new copy from real servers, so that I always test with "my" chars, not some unreal boosted chars in an unreal environment. Seems to me the best way to solve this would be a web page for character transfers, like the eq1 legends server Stormhammer had. Just enter char name, server name, and within 20 minutes you char would be copied to test server. The copy could be temporary, deleted within 2h or 24h or whatever, doesnt matter, since its only for test anyway.

Eiwyn, completed 1330 quests

Old 05-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
KatarinaMcComas

Loremaster

Valtaya wrote:

Actually, there are 3 lvl 50's on Test, thats it.  There are ony about 6 or so level 47-49 coming up the ranks too.  So as for raiding Epic level 50 content, thats not gonna happen anytime soon, not for weeks or longer.  Most of the 50's and the lvl 47-49 are in different guilds with no cross guild raiding.

Dbl EXP is a good start.  Some sort of /testbuff system might also help (oh simmer down people, its not your server, its SOE's, if testbuff is a solution I would hope they use it to help fine tune the game).
KatarinaMcComas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #12
WAPCE

Loremaster

I too would regularly test content and mechanics changes and report feedback (as I do for so many software projects), if given the chance to copy my character. Feel free to let us know when we'll have the option to do so. More people = more better. [/Strong Bad]

Adblock Plus (with EasyList x3)
Flashblock
WAPCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
Jojo-the-Yumcov

a main reason SOE wants permenant testers is because tradeskills DO need testing also.there has been bugs where woodworkers were crafting totems and selling them for 500pp a peice and sheilds for 1500pp a peice.

as for the wipe stuff.i was there for the one and only wipe.SOE saw how many left after the wipe and most agreed it is a bad thing and will probally never do it again.

as for the reasons most people play on the test server is: alot are hard core raiders (leveling on a test enviorment makes you a better player so just randomly plugged players useally makes for a good group/raid with whoever you plug in.problem is that it takes time to build people up because of the harsh surroundings).
most who play on test don't like griefers/beggar [Removed for Content] and the enviroment keeps those away.generally everyone gets along with everyone so there is cross guild raiding.

the problem is the test server is alot harder to level on than any other server.there is no economy and hardly anyone in your level range to group with.so alot of exp is solo.the double exp to me seems like a good idea and a charter transfer seems good to.the charter copy seems like a BAD idea because even though it is a test server they would only test half the content and it is still the home server for paying customers and we are very picky about who is on it.

a test server A-hole and pervert to the 256th power. Aenal the bum under the covers
Jojo-the-Yumcov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
Mig

General

The test server should be a TEST server, not a low population server!I only see two kinds of people on test. 1. People who want a really low, low, population to play with and not be bothered with other players. 2. People who are trying to figure out exploits with each new patch. If I was able to copy my character over, I'd proabbly test every line item of each patch, because I have a vested interest in the health of the production servers. Here's a thought, save the data on test, enable copy move of characters from production to test for 1 week, or one month. If it doesn't work out, wipe and reload.It's amazing to me you guys want people to test, but are making it a pain for us to do so.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 PM   #15
See

Gallenite wrote:

If we did something like this, it wouldn't be required -- We understand that some people would prefer to play without this hypothetical bonus Test Server exp, so I'm sure we'd include an option to disable it.

- Scott

Scott,

When are you going to get it?  TEST is not the place for people to receive the "total game experience."  Things there should be "required" with no regard to the immersion of the story line.  Test doesn't exist for a player's pleasure.  It is not a server that should have a community. 

Test is a place for test plans.  It is a place to take patch notes and check them off line by line.  And until you get that, you are going to continue to have one bug-ridden patch after another - just like you have for the last 7. 

If you want population, COPY.  If players want to "enjoy the experience of Everquest II" then they don't belong on TEST.

Old 05-04-2005, 05:32 PM   #16
ag

General

Gallenite wrote:
Funny you should mention that, friend. SMILEY That's something we're considering as an option for people who want to use it on Test Server.
- Scott

As has been suggested since release, allow players to copy (not move) their existing characters to the test server once per week. (or just once ever, or some other reasonable interval)Or put back the /betabuff command, either way is fine.Voila! Problem solved. I know I would test on the test server if I could do this, but there's not a chance in Brell I would ever level up "normally" to 50 on the test server.

70 Brigand, 70 Coercer, 60 Bruiser, 50 Inquisitor
70 Alchemist, 70 Armorer, 70 Carpenter, 70 Provisioner, 40 Jeweler, 350 Tinkerer

ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #17
Tstorm

Tester

Gallenite wrote:

initocian wrote:
Ok my name is Ravage...on Test server.I was wondering if the Test server could have some Bonus XP because the most i ever seen on when i did a /who all was probably around 74. Most players were around 18+Please help me wanna keep Testing things.( This is for all the people who will argue with this post )This is concidered Feedback, for lack of players on the server.

Funny you should mention that, friend. SMILEY  That's something we're considering as an option for people who want to use it on Test Server.  

- Scott

Interesting.  I setup my Test Server client copy not long after it became available, but I have yet to create a character.  I enjoy fiddling with new things so playing on Test Server is right up my alley, but the thing is, I have friends on the "regular" servers so Test Server isn't/can't be my main server. The requests to give Test Server players free levels, equipment, or even copy their "main" character from the live servers isn't new and has been present in EQ and SWG as well.  The regular Test Server community hates these ideas because it brings ... a different kind of person to the Test Server in hoards and destabilizes the community. With or without an experience boost for Test Server, I still plan to play on Test Server at some point.  An experience boost certainly is appealing though as you still have to earn your items and experience -- it's just a bit faster.  Particularly with the first 20-25 levels or so, I'd love to move faster through those and get to things that are a touch more challenging and diverse.  I suspect getting more "legitimate" testers into the mid to higher levels would be appealing for SOE as well to match the content being added that needs lots of eyes to properly test.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #18
Evilshade

Is there still a way to sig up for the test server??
Old 05-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #19
Shunidar

Tester

Gallenite wrote:

- Scott

I think people would be more interested in playing on test as a permanent home if they felt that the dev's cared for test, its economy, and balance like they did live servers.  As it stands, you wouldn't beleive how skewed the economy is.  I'm afraid that if you are proposing shortening the level curve will make it a completely different game than EQ2.  Those comming will be more interested in free levels, free plats and EQ2 *easy mode* than working in a test environment.  My suggestion would be to try and foster a working economy and make a game that looks more like EQ2 on live servers.  Sometimes I feel like my $15 on test is less important than someone who pays $15 a month on live.  I think that your most productive players are ones that are interested in working hard and showing off thier toons.  Why would you do that if there is a "giveaway" feeling on test?

Also, this may sound like a lot of work, but why not have a seprate server for people to copy thier characters to so they can test stuff out ahead of time?

Message Edited by Shunidar on 05-04-2005 06:52 AM

"Cyranel" lvl 50 Dark Elf Warlock, lvl 50 Alchemist (Test)
"Silvermist" lvl 50 Woodworking Slave (Test)
"Butterbean" the too-cute-to-really-be-furious Halfling Fury, lvl 34 (Test)
GL of "Children of War"... aka CoW (/moo)
Shunidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #20
Evilshade

Is there still a way to get signed up for the test server and such, i am intrested in doing Test server since I have more than 8hrs a game play a day and would dedicate time to testing.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #21
bcbroom

Tester

Call me crazy, but I think permenant double xp would be a bad idea. It throws too many game elements out of whack, such as appropriate xp for small groups, solo, the new double encouters, etc.

suggestions

• accelerated vitality regen (I think fixed at 100% could lead to missed issues with vitality)
  • more or less random accelerated xp times, especially after major changes **cough** combat changes **cough**

bcbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #22
Ibis

General

the problem is anyone establishing a permanent home on a test server. copies and server wipes and you'll have real testing.  I'm sure there are drawbacks, but compared to non-existant testing on a test server...how can it not be worth it? allow only limited actions, specific testing, etc.  Make it so you cant zone out of the local area your char movelogged from.  Then you movelog, go test within a 5 zone radius, and come back.  Everyone logging in can /claim to see a list of changed items they might want to use for testing as well as any supplies.  Remove armor wear upon death, falling damage, etc. unless those are being tested.  allow people to temporarily lower their level, but not to raise it. establish a 5 death permadeath rule and a movelog delay from live (dont die a lot and expect to keep getting another pass at experimentation).  hell enforce that on entire groups. 1 person dies 5 times, anyone in his group gets kicked and their characters deleted until the movelog delay is up. testers experiment less with danger and risk b/c they have an interest in their test char, copies and free levels wouldonly exploit a persistent server and ruin the enjoyment of players by allowing them to experience advanced areas of the game when they couldnt on live, removing danger and the such since they dont care about these chars.  If you only allow movelogging from areas that a player already has access to and like, give red mobs death touch as one sloppy method, then folks wouldnt be running around training or the such in dangerous zones beyond their ability. or keep it as a persistent server and get gripes from both sides of several fences and a lack of concentrated testing, especially among the high end.
Ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #23
Veyrun

Loremaster

Here's the problem with copying characters: Raid mobs always hit the test server a few days before they go live.  This means that raiding guilds would just have their main force copy their characters to test in order to test the encounter.  This would offer a no risk, no reward way of testing the encounter and getting everything down perfectly for the guild to kill the mob the day the update goes live.
Veyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #24
See

Veyrun wrote:
Here's the problem with copying characters:
Raid mobs always hit the test server a few days before they go live.  This means that raiding guilds would just have their main force copy their characters to test in order to test the encounter.  This would offer a no risk, no reward way of testing the encounter and getting everything down perfectly for the guild to kill the mob the day the update goes live.

As opposed to the current method of just not testing the raid mob?  I think that "risk" would be worth it.  I'd rather some guild jump on test and 'get a leg up' than the current system that basically causes every high-level raid mob to be broekn with every single patch - causing exp debt and frustration for guilds on live servers.  Allow me to illustrate from the 4/28 patch notes:

- Some epic encounters were using their special events or abilities more frequently than they were meant to. This includes King Zalak, Solusek's Fist, Meeting of Minds, and Lord Nagalik. These events should now be working properly.

How may days after LU#7 did it take for SOE to realize that the update broke several 50++ raid encounters?  Wouldn't it make more sense to actually have the capability to test these things BEFORE they make it live for a week?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #25
Ibis

General

double post

Message Edited by Ibishi on 05-04-2005 10:35 AM

Old 05-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #26
Ibis

General

yea b/c thats so hard to prevent. you could: 1) make the mob unattackable. the code exists. 2) make the mob super-hard, give it summoning and a huge aggro range. 3) the mob expires your 5 death limit on contact and kicks you off the server unless a developer disables the function for specific testing of the script. 4) dont spawn the mob, have developers do it on-command for specific testing.  likewise don't allow physical entrance to instanced zones housing epic mobs.  developers could summon you into the zone when needed. thanks for pointing out the absolute easiest thing to avoid. there are actually more important side effects to copying characters than raids.   I'd say more than 50% of the EQ2 population hasn't even attended a raid yet.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #27
Havann

You are kidding me right, a raiding guild would copy to test just to get the strats down a few days earlier.

You have no clue, the reason raiding guilds want to copy to test, are to test encounters and changes that effect all aspects of raiding in EQ2. When they change the way combat works, making encounters easier, more balanced, ect.

The King Zalak bug would of never made it to live if people were able to copy and test that Epic.

If people are going to crush the idea of coping charactors because they are afraid people will learn the new quests or encoutners before live. That is just plain silly. Who cares if people do that. In the end SoE wants good players testing the content before it goes to the mass's. If i get to see a new epic 4 days before all the live servers. So be it. If i'm providing good feedback, so that the changes don't mess up live servers. Then I'm doing what they want. Testing, and reporting. I know that if my guild was to copy to test, and mess with the changes, we'd suggest alot of them get harder.

Havann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #28
Elda

Shunidar wrote:

I think people would be more interested in playing on test as a permanent home if they felt that the dev's cared for test, its economy, and balance like they did live servers.  As it stands, you wouldn't beleive how skewed the economy is.  I'm afraid that if you are proposing shortening the level curve will make it a completely different game than EQ2.  Those comming will be more interested in free levels, free plats and EQ2 *easy mode* than working in a test environment.  My suggestion would be to try and foster a working economy and make a game that looks more like EQ2 on live servers.  Sometimes I feel like my $15 on test is less important than someone who pays $15 a month on live.  I think that your most productive players are ones that are interested in working hard and showing off thier toons.  Why would you do that if there is a "giveaway" feeling on test?

Also, this may sound like a lot of work, but why not have a seprate server for people to copy thier characters to so they can test stuff out ahead of time?

Message Edited by Shunidar on 05-04-2005 06:52 AM

huh? you want test server's economy and level curve to be balanced and carefully looked after like a live server, and then you want to make a 'separate server' for actual testing?

isn't that 'separate server for testing' what test server is supposed to be?

sounds like what you really want is your own personal low population hangout (ie: current test server).

SoE already messed up the test server by making it have any semblance of a normal server, changing it into a real test server (with instant buffs, character copies) now would anger hundreds of players play on test currently and have gotten used to it essentially being a 'special rules' server.

In my opinion, there is no reason for an actual test server to have a 'population'. Want to get people to copy and actually do stuff on test? give them incentives for their character on live. Make each line item on a patch a goal.  You complete that goal by testing that line item, for each you complete your account receives a certain number of test points. Test points can be used on live server to purchase non-gameplay altering things like; special titles, room trophies, ceremonial armor/weapons, special armor colors, special hair colors, fluff spells and so on.

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=general_tradeskill&message.id=32080
Elda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #29
Evilshade

Are you coming back to the game Eldarn or just posting Sob's are waiting for ya
Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 PM   #30
Evadne

Tester

You know, the copy thing has been argued to death. It's a rotten idea.  Clearly, yammering on about it in response to the dev's courteous reply, where he states they want to attract players to make a permanent home on test, is just an example of why they don't respond to it.  Copies won't get more tested, they will get different things feedbacked.  Testing is best done in a controlled environment.  Guess what there are copies on Test. Two whole guilds.  Testing is just that, a platform. It doesn't say,"Perfect Code before Launch" server.  Because there NEVER will be enough testing of the exact things to ensure no bugs ever make it live. Ever.  But, the process works best in a controlled, reliable environment.  Having to wade through 3 thousand of the same rants about how gimped scouts are, and "I can't play this game anymore if this goes Live...and if you don't fix my artisan class so I can make money rants in the testing channel would NOT help. Does Test need more players?  Yes.  Try to be grateful he replied to the OP.  Instead of insisting you in your infinate experience know exactly what to do to make the testing better, the game better, and their jobs better. ~Eva

Message Edited by Evadne on 05-04-2005 07:46 AM

Xeven The Dancing Queen

Test Server
Evadne is offline   Reply With Quote