EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Dungeon Maker
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Muusic
Server: Venekor
Guild: New Age

Loremaster

I have 2 Hall of Fame Dungeons on different servers which were modified by some stealth agro range change recently.

Let me start by saying, I design my dungeons around their name "Fast Solo" because I know how frustrating it can be to zone into a random DM and get a tidal wave of poorly placed mobs that pin you down against the entrance. The only way out of these is to leave via the entrance without tokens or the ability to "like" the dungeon.

I place my exit right next to the entrance, then i have a friend and myself on another account go in and test pull all of the mobs in my DM. I try body and ranged pulls, with several different avatars until im positive that only the appropriate number of mobs will add with the original one agroed. This proces of the build takes many hours.

It's no fun if it's not winnable.

I went back in the other day into my "Fast Solo 25" Dungeon on Nagafen with a a friend and as soon as we pulled an encounter we were overwhelmed by several adds that had NEVER been close to agroing us during testing and the first weeks of being published. This can only be a result of changes made by SOE after the DM was listed.

So thanks SoE, for totally messing up a Hall of Fame DM which I now have to unpublish to make it work properly and completely lose my rating. I'm not even going to bother really, becuase something similar will most likely happen again and by the complete lack of attention to this section of forums shows me they have already given up on DM as a "attention deserving" portion of the game.

Muusic 92-320AA Troub/92 Grandmaster Jeweler-Antonia Bayle

Imyourr 92-320AA Dirge/92 Grandmaster Tailor-Venekor born

Wecanbe 92 - 320AA Warden/92 Grandmaster Provisioner

Myndtrixx 92/320AA Illusionist - Antonia bayle

Avithax 92 - 320AA Shadowknight - Nagafen

Silencess 92-320AA Conji/92 Grandmaster Sage- Venekor born

Alisylent 92/320AA Ranger/92 Grandmaster Weaponsmith- Antonia Bayle

Amphlify 92 - 320AA Dirge Antonia Bayle

Smiiles 92-320AA Monk/92 Grandmaster Jeweler-Antonia Bayle

Avithax 92 - 320AA Shadowknight/92 Grandmaster Alchemist - Antonia Bayle

Playforr - 92/320AA Defiler - Antonia Bayle

Muusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Lyndro-EQ2

Lead Designer

We didn't intentionally make any changes to the aggro ranges. Is this something other people are seeing as well? Which creatures are you noticing a change in behavior with, and when did you first notice the change?

As a general guideline, we will do our best to make sure that we don't make changes that effect the way that dungeons play as we know that a good deal of time can go into crafting them. However looking over the data, there haven't been any changes to the awareness range of creatures in dungeons that I'm able to track down.

Lyndro-EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
screenid

Loremaster

I tested my 3 published Dungeons and did not notice any difference in aggro range.  

On that note ...it would be great if we could see the aggro range when placing the mobs.   (some ring or something around the mob would be nice)

screenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Muusic
Server: Venekor
Guild: New Age

Loremaster

Lyndro-EQ2 wrote:

Which creatures are you noticing a change in behavior with, and when did you first notice the change?

Greater-Vampire Coercer is the mob, and like I said I tested them several times with ranged hits and body pulls. If you go into "Fast Solo 25" on Nagafen under the hall of fame category the publisher is "Muusic". You will see the mobs that add from the other spaced out encounters.

I do agree thta it would be an enormous time saver to be able to see a mobs agro range. I think a big part of the reason players don't visit DM's is because they zone in and get ovrwhelmed, and have no outlet to collect what tokens the have already earned unless the repeatedly kamakazi to the exit portal.

But my biggest complaint here is that in order to fix my dungeon to make it enjoyable once again I have to sacrifice my hall of Fame status. Doesn't seem right considering the change in the dungeon happened after i reached that level.

And since i seem to have the attention of someone who is listening.Combat experience does not disable inside of a DM like the spam says when you make the kill. You still get it all in one lump sum when you exit and I have a level locked toon on a pvp server that almost leveled out of it's gear coming out of one the other day. The toon has been locked for 5 years so i would have been extremely unhappy if that would have happened.

Muusic 92-320AA Troub/92 Grandmaster Jeweler-Antonia Bayle

Imyourr 92-320AA Dirge/92 Grandmaster Tailor-Venekor born

Wecanbe 92 - 320AA Warden/92 Grandmaster Provisioner

Myndtrixx 92/320AA Illusionist - Antonia bayle

Avithax 92 - 320AA Shadowknight - Nagafen

Silencess 92-320AA Conji/92 Grandmaster Sage- Venekor born

Alisylent 92/320AA Ranger/92 Grandmaster Weaponsmith- Antonia Bayle

Amphlify 92 - 320AA Dirge Antonia Bayle

Smiiles 92-320AA Monk/92 Grandmaster Jeweler-Antonia Bayle

Avithax 92 - 320AA Shadowknight/92 Grandmaster Alchemist - Antonia Bayle

Playforr - 92/320AA Defiler - Antonia Bayle

Muusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Daisey
Server: Oasis
Guild: Compulsive Harvesters

Loremaster

I'm having some issues with this problem myself.  It seems (to me) as though when I make a critter big, their aggro radius increases.  I can put a bunch of itty bitty things in one room but when they are made larger they swarm.  I'm doing something with the erolissi day balls of light.  I can't remember what they are called.  I'm making them as big as I can and I'm having serious problems getting a decent but challenging number of mobs aggroing at one time. 

My way around it is to use pathing.  Sending mobs out of the room and back to give the avatar time a bit of a break between mobs.  It could be my imagination though.  Those balls of light play havoc with my depth perception. LOL  I have very little to begin with so it doesn't take much.

Daisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Andemon

Loremaster

Aggro seems somewhat erratic for some reason.Wandering and patrolling mobs in particular...a few times I've managed to aggro the whole room in a massive chain reaction. I filled one large Lair of Scale room with wandering mobs and let them wander around for ten minutes. Then I tried pulling one solitary mob...and suddenly were attacked by all mobs in the room. Even though rest of them weren't in the range.

But I haven't been able to consistently reproduce that. There's something wrong with the aggro, but I can't figure out what. :/

Andemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Eveningsong

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

But my biggest complaint here is that in order to fix my dungeon to make it enjoyable once again I have to sacrifice my hall of Fame status. Doesn't seem right considering the change in the dungeon happened after i reached that level.

You don't lose any awards, only likes, when you edit your dungeon, so after you republish you'll be back in the hall of fame after about 24 hours.  You will have to rebuild your likes to get back to your spot on the list though.

Eveningsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Sarriss
Guild: Keepers of the Oak

Loremaster

Aggro and Social Aggro have always been too excessive in DM zones, normaly you pull the whole room, even when body pulling. It needs to start off smaller and we can make it larger using the awareness effect item if we want.

Also being able to see aggro range would help us alot. Aggro issues seem to be my biggest problem in making these and the main reason I have not made any reciently.

Sarriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
redwoodtreesprite

Loremaster

I have noticed this as well, as has my son in his dungeons.  Something happened after the start of DM to cause mobs to aggro from farther away from each other.  I played a dungeon recently with a name like one-pull dungeon.  As soon as I started fighting far apart mobs in the larger rooms, as many as 3 mobs aggroed with them.  I finally had to abandon the dungeon.  I have also read here about such frustrations a while back, and have read in 1-9 about this as well.

Aggro range should be smaller, allowing for more flexibility in spawner placement.

redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Aggro and Social Aggro have always been too excessive in DM zones, normaly you pull the whole room, even when body pulling. It needs to start off smaller and we can make it larger using the awareness effect item if we want.

Also being able to see aggro range would help us alot. Aggro issues seem to be my biggest problem in making these and the main reason I have not made any reciently.

There is no difference in body pulling and "normal" pulling in DM zones.  They will trigger the same social aggro.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Daisey
Guild: Compulsive Harvesters

Loremaster

I was fooling around trying to figure out what the aggro radius actually is.  It is 6 erollisi day squares in each direction, 7 if you count the one that the mob is standing on.  I'm sure the radius is actually round instead of square but the round tiles are a/not available to me atm and b/don't blow up as big as the squares do.  One erollisi day square blown up is equal to 6 square...feet?  You can use one blown up tile to determine whether or not you have other mobs within anothers aggro radius.

Daisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Memlan

Loremaster

i do agree that dungeon maker aggro is a huge problem. i would like all mobs to be made not KoS and not social by default, then to make them "KoS" and "social" designer could use enhancers to add that, ofcourse as any other enhancer it would add to point in the dungeon.

in dungeon i experience the chain effect in social agro on pulls, and yes bodypull causes same aggro as nukepull. i think hte social agro limit storyline in my dungeon that i'm building as it weird when the poor "captured" animals join in when i try to kill there capturers.

i really wish that entrance portal would complete the dungeon and give me the tookens i'v earned. it feels crap when in the better majority of a dungeon and my time runned out so i have to quit game just to receive nothing from it. i'm afraid to start larger dungeon as if i would go LD i would loose all time, or get stuck at misplaced mobs i can't survive.it shoudl work as the rest of the game, if i zone out form a incomplete Iceshard keep i don't loose and loot i'v looted or xp i'v gained, why should 30min in a dungeon maker zone not give anything if i'm unable to reach exit portal?

summary:

• please remove spawner from being social and Kos by default
  • please add enhancers to make mob social (single and multiple and different degrees of social).
  • Please make the aggro range including social aggro range viable.
  • please make entrance portal or zoning out in any way (LD and afk to long) complete the dungeon so player recive there marks and experience.
  • please make the adventurer that zoning in get a list of enhancers in zone and be able to unchecked any they don't prefer, that would ofcourse remove the added number that enhancers give.
Memlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
ZullieZevize

Loremaster

I posted something a while back about the aggro changes month ago.  The changes were to the range of assist, and how mobs would chain aggro an entire room.  My dungeon 400 tokens, (freeport server) and i have a fixed 400 not yet on hall of fame, that i had to go back in, remove all the awareness crates from the larger rooms. 

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=512901

ZullieZevize is offline   Reply With Quote