EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Gladiolus

Loremaster

The mail was fine, worked perfectly. It even remembers the name of the last person to whom I sent mail, which is great, and can make an intelligent guess at the names of other people to whom I've sent mail in the past. It shows unread mail in white, and mail that's been read in grey. In short, it wasn't broken.

Then they started fixing it. Every time I zone I get told that I wasn't in a mailbox. I received mail which had the word "red" in red and the word "blue" in blue. When I deleted that, everything froze up for about half a minute, then the mailbox flashed open and closed a few times, and then suddenly all my mail was marked as read, which I find extremely annoying.

Can we please not have fixing on something that wasn't broken?

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Leawyn

Loremaster

You should see the mail issues I'm having =P My characters (all of them) cannot get mail if not logged in. So if my mystic is on, I can get mail on her just fine, but none of my other characters can get mail. It freezes the person trying to send it indefinitely, until they log out. Zoning or changing mailboxes doesn't even fix it. Its pretty awesome =) Tech support is trying to figure it out right now.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Daisey
Server: Oasis
Guild: Compulsive Harvesters

Loremaster

The only bug I  have is sometimes when I zone I'll get a message saying "You are not currently in a mail transaction."  Nothing big but a little odd.

Daisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Gaealiege
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Eruanna Ar Fuin

Loremaster

If you were willing to buy $5 in station cash, I'm sure that would go a long way toward putting out much needed content fixes for mail.  We needed mail to be accessible from anywhere.  I can see ignoring itemization issues, completely broken scripting, broken mechanics, and glaring oversights in class design.  Mail however was the one driving force for me playing this game.

Please Sony, fix the mail fix that you made.  You're ruining my gameplay.

Gaealiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50009...post_id=5713831 Trolling.
SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Deveryn
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Fourth Wall

Loremaster

I don't know why we even needed to get mail from anywhere. It's not that hard to get to a mailbox.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Maevianiu

Developer

[email protected]_old wrote:

You should see the mail issues I'm having =P My characters (all of them) cannot get mail if not logged in. So if my mystic is on, I can get mail on her just fine, but none of my other characters can get mail. It freezes the person trying to send it indefinitely, until they log out. Zoning or changing mailboxes doesn't even fix it. Its pretty awesome =) Tech support is trying to figure it out right now.

Is this still happening to you Maewyn? The night CS crew retested it in the wee hours this morning and said it was working. We had an issue with the mail server that has since be resolved.

Coder EQ2
Maevianiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Maevianiu

Developer

I have a fix going into tomorrow's hotfix that should fix your issues above. Please post again after tomorrow's hotfix if you have any other mail issues after the hotfix.

Coder EQ2
Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Raknid

Loremaster

Hat's off for jumping on this!!

P.S. Any luck on the double AOEs yet...and thanks for working on that as well.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Littlelove
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Witness Protection Program

Loremaster

Littlelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Leawyn

Loremaster

Maevianiu wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

Is this still happening to you Maewyn? The night CS crew retested it in the wee hours this morning and said it was working. We had an issue with the mail server that has since be resolved.

Actually I tested it earlier today and saw it was working again, thanks! I haven't been able to update my petition yet, and hadn't gotten any response that it was fixed. =)

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Raknid

Loremaster

I am lazy..I admit it...

but...

Is there any place on the forums where they explain the reason for the addition and changes to the mail system? Was this something players were clamoring for and that was why they changed it? Trying to understand here, so links would be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Maevianiu

Developer

Raknid wrote:

I have a "speculative" fix for the double cast. Our QA team cannot make it happen, so it is a shot in the dark. I also added even more logging in to try to help track it down.

Also, you asked about the reason for the mail change, I am not sure. I am more the "make the impossible happen" person rather than the "why should we make the impossible happen" person.

Coder EQ2
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Raknid

Loremaster

Maevianiu wrote:

Raknid wrote:

I have a "speculative" fix for the double cast. Our QA team cannot make it happen, so it is a shot in the dark. I also added even more logging in to try to help track it down.

Also, you asked about the reason for the mail change, I am not sure. I am more the "make the impossible happen" person rather than the "why should we make the impossible happen" person.

Great news. Hopefully it works. Thank you again though for doing your best...that is all anyone can expect.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Juravael

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The only bug I  have is sometimes when I zone I'll get a message saying "You are not currently in a mail transaction."  Nothing big but a little odd.

Happens to me every single time that I zone.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50009...post_id=5714143 Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #17
PsiaMeese

Loremaster

My roommate tells me that every time he zones, the mail UI behaves somewhat like the pop-up for Upgrade to Gold. He hadn't pressed the mail icon to view his mail. Which sounds really aggravating.

PsiaMeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
SOE-MOD-07

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50281...post_id=5714369 Off topic
SOE-MOD-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
SOE-MOD-07

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50281...post_id=5714422 Off topic
SOE-MOD-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Gladiolus

Loremaster

Maevianiu wrote:

I have a fix going into tomorrow's hotfix that should fix your issues above. Please post again after tomorrow's hotfix if you have any other mail issues after the hotfix.

We had our patch this morning and I'm getting the "not in a mailbox transaction" message less frequently but still sometimes after zoning.

Edit after logging in a sibling: I clicked on a mailbox, and while there's no lag otherwise anywhere, there was a LONG pause, and then there was the sound of the mailbox opening and closing several times, and when it opened, everything in it had been marked as read.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
Rijacki

Tester

Raknid wrote:

I am lazy..I admit it...

but...

Is there any place on the forums where they explain the reason for the addition and changes to the mail system? Was this something players were clamoring for and that was why they changed it? Trying to understand here, so links would be appreciated.

It's something that has been posted about as a player request at least 2 or three times a year generating threads with several supporting the idea. "Even if you can only read the mail and not get attachements" was even something commonly put in the plea. I've seen the request come up 2-3 times a year since mail was first added to the game shortly after launch. Each time there was a new addition to the mail system (mailboxes outside of the cities, being able to mail to either faction on PvE servers, etc) it would spark it as well, but the request threads were even showing up last year. If the search function on these forums was actually truly functional, I could link quite a few even since the last forum software change.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Raknid

Loremaster

Rijacki wrote:

Raknid wrote:

I am lazy..I admit it...

but...

It's something that has been posted about as a player request at least 2 or three times a year generating threads with several supporting the idea. "Even if you can only read the mail and not get attachements" was even something commonly put in the plea. I've seen the request come up 2-3 times a year since mail was first added to the game shortly after launch. Each time there was a new addition to the mail system (mailboxes outside of the cities, being able to mail to either faction on PvE servers, etc) it would spark it as well, but the request threads were even showing up last year. If the search function on these forums was actually truly functional, I could link quite a few even since the last forum software change.

I must have missed those, and can only assume the volume and tenacity of the requests must have been low since they don't spark any reccolection.

Just seems odd, of ALL the things players have been clamoring for, and clamoring for loudly, that they would take the dev and coder time to implement something that doesn't even ring a bell request wise.

Not to say that getting mail anywhere is a bad thing to add...just an ODD thing given the circumstances.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #23
Juravael

Loremaster

Gladiolus wrote:

Maevianiu wrote:

We had our patch this morning and I'm getting the "not in a mailbox transaction" message less frequently but still sometimes after zoning.

Edit after logging in a sibling: I clicked on a mailbox, and while there's no lag otherwise anywhere, there was a LONG pause, and then there was the sound of the mailbox opening and closing several times, and when it opened, everything in it had been marked as read.

I am still getting the "not in a mailbox transaction" message every single time that I zone. It does not matter where I am zoning to or from, it happens every single time and I do not have any mail.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
Rijacki

Tester

Raknid wrote:

Rijacki wrote:

Raknid wrote:

I am lazy..I admit it...

but...

I must have missed those, and can only assume the volume and tenacity of the requests must have been low since they don't spark any reccolection.

Just seems odd, of ALL the things players have been clamoring for, and clamoring for loudly, that they would take the dev and coder time to implement something that doesn't even ring a bell request wise.

Not to say that getting mail anywhere is a bad thing to add...just an ODD thing given the circumstances.

Not surprising. A lot of players complain they didn't know about thus and so special or limited time event occuring so they've been increasingly putting that communication in mail (as well as on the launcher, announcements in the forums, announcements on FaceBook, announcements on the website, etc). They're also adding in polls which will be sent via in-game mail.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #25
Raknid

Loremaster

Rijacki wrote:

A lot of players complain they didn't know about thus and so special or limited time event occuring so they've been increasingly putting that communication in mail (as well as on the launcher, announcements in the forums, announcements on FaceBook, announcements on the website, etc). T

Do you think these "limited time event" mails are going to include the SC sales then?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Gladiolus

Loremaster

Mail is still playing up. Click on the mailbox and nothing happens, wait and do it again, and again, and eventually it works, and then there's the sound of it opening and closing a few times, and everything in the mailbox is marked as read. I haven't counted but it's about one in twenty times of using a mailbox that it's been happening to me. I have no latency, my frame rate is high, there's no sign of any type of lag at all.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

Several times during the past couple nights while in a group or raid, there have been a few guildies who could not accept a CoV because they "were not in a mail transaction".  I guess they didn't have enough postage attached to mail themselves to our location?

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Several times during the past couple nights while in a group or raid, there have been a few guildies who could not accept a CoV because they "were not in a mail transaction".  I guess they didn't have enough postage attached to mail themselves to our location?

WHEEEEEEEE.....

Let's just hope that whatever reason they decided to put this in is better than any bugs that they can't clear in it.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #29
Gladiolus

Loremaster

The message about not being in a mail transaction (or being not in a mail transaction) is still being received on zoning.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
Deago

Loremaster

We need a 10min hotfix right now SMILEY