EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Solzak
Server: Guk
Guild: Legion of the White Rose

Loremaster

I have one of each crafter at lvl 90.  I'm kind of on the fence about the rarity of Colossal Reactants - I want those items to remain as rare as possible, at least until the next new level cap.  But what I'd really like is a way to get the other tier Reactants.  Levelling more crafters just to get them seems way too much meaningless work - I can already make every craftable item in the game ( or will, once the research is all done ).

How about giving us a choice like the harvester/pack pony tier menu for the daily quest?

Solzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Deveryn
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Fourth Wall

Loremaster

Level an adventurer to 90 then mentor down to farm the heroic content. Every pre-velious zone will have a chance to drop reactants. Until reactants are used for more crafter-oriented gear (which they probably never will), there's no need for them to change anything with the questing and rewards.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
shots01

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Level an adventurer to 90 then mentor down to farm the heroic content. Every pre-velious zone will have a chance to drop reactants. Until reactants are used for more crafter-oriented gear (which they probably never will), there's no need for them to change anything with the questing and rewards.

That is not a viable option for all of us.  I have a lvl 90 fury but am not comfortable farming solo heroic content.  I just wish the colossels weren't so rare.  As of yet, I have not gotten a single one.

shots01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Finora

Tester

Most of mine haven't come from heroic content. I've a lot of alts and I regularly get chests with reactants in them from just regular solo mobs I'm killing for quests.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
shots01

Lord

Just gonna give yuou an example of my "bad" luck..

I have 19 alts various levels, various tradeskill levels as well.

I run predominantely quests, I get treasure chests, sometimes an ornate or exquisite.. yup out in the field so to speak.  Never, ever gotten a reactant.

I have been run through WC, FG, Sebilis, um.. Chelsith? sp.. over the past several weeks.

Not ONE reactant dropped.  At all.

As for my apprentices, I received ONE over the past month, a lvl 30 one which I needed LOL.  And haven't seen one since.

So.........basically either I am doing something very wrong, because I am not getting them, or the drop rate needs to be increased.

Buying a colossal on the market is completely out of the question.  I don't have 1k plat, I don't have near that kind of money.  So.  I am an advocate of something needs to be done to increase the drop rate of especially the colossals..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Never seen a reactant drop in a chest but had a lot from my 9 crafters of various levels. Not seen a colossal yet though I wish they would change the graphic from 20 Amber to something a bit more unique...I've lost count of the number of times I've gone "YES!...oh drat..."

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Gladiolus

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

I have a lvl 90 fury but am not comfortable farming solo heroic content.

Although exquisite chests are more likely from heroic mobs, that isn't the only place they drop. Your level 90 will be mentored down, so more powerful for the level. You could hire a mercenary to accompany you. If you don't want to do that, you could sell one colossal reactant and buy a good number of lower tier reactants with the proceeds.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
shots01

Lord

11 lvl 90 crafters

ZERO colossal reactants.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Meirril

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

That is not a viable option for all of us.  I have a lvl 90 fury but am not comfortable farming solo heroic content.  I just wish the colossels weren't so rare.  As of yet, I have not gotten a single one.

There is this thing called a broker. If you search for "reactant" I'm sure you'll find plenty of t1-t8 reactants at VERY reasonable prices. The lower the tier, the more of a glut you'll witness. Most of the reactants I've seen on the broker were going for about the same prices as the hard metal crafting rares.

If your wondering why you should do something so non-crafting like as depend on the broker to gain materials I'll counter that everything crafters do centers around making plat. You make products to sell to customers. You receive coin in return. What are you suppose to do with that coin? Use it to obtain what you want as well. So don't be bashful about using the broker when you can, especially when you consider the vast difference in supply of t1-t8 reactants to t9.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Deveryn

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

11 lvl 90 crafters

ZERO colossal reactants.

FYI: Every thread that started with this has been locked. We're not going to get into this discussion, as it goes nowhere. Everything that could be said has been said. Agree or disagree with the OP. We don't need these posts.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Deornwulf

Loremaster

It would be interesting to have real tradeskilling quests that could reward reactants or even the potions that involved some time and planning instead of only the instant click lottery ticket we have now, something similar to the Mara Daily quests.

The easy button for the Devs would be to add colossal reactants to the Far Seas loot tables.

Deornwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Daisey
Server: Oasis
Guild: Compulsive Harvesters

Loremaster

Get a Colossal.

Sell a Colossal.

Buy the other tiers.

Daisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Meirril

Loremaster

Deornwulf wrote:

It would be interesting to have real tradeskilling quests that could reward reactants or even the potions that involved some time and planning instead of only the instant click lottery ticket we have now, something similar to the Mara Daily quests.

The easy button for the Devs would be to add colossal reactants to the Far Seas loot tables.

You mean something that requires a group of 6 in the best gear available in game well trained crafters who spend an hour struggling against difficult content with a less than 2% chance of a single reactant dropping? I'm all for that. I've been for more difficult group crafting with decent rewards for a long time now. Adding a miniscule chance at dropping a rediculously good reward would make a good carrot. Hopefully the lesser rewards could be close to the actual EoW or Drunder rewards too. Like say dropping raw gems for Ry'gorr crafting, chests full of plat, or maybe no-trade appearance clothing, furniture and mounts that we could auction off kinda like the rest of the stuff from Drunder and EoW that gets auctioned off for hundreds of plat?

After all, if your asking for something equivellent, it should take equivellent effort. And no, 2 hours of solo crafting doesn't equal 6 people working for even 30 minuites. A good portion of the difficulty comes from learning how to work with others and finding people willing to go. Grouping changes the meta-game. Not forcing people into this meta-game makes the current group instances really weak content that hardly challenges an actual group. All because we crafters demand to be able to solo all crafting content. That's like adventurers demanding to be able to solo all max level content including raids!

But I've said all this before. Carry on!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Deornwulf

Loremaster

Meirril wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

You mean something that requires a group of 6 in the best gear available in game well trained crafters who spend an hour struggling against difficult content with a less than 2% chance of a single reactant dropping? I'm all for that. I've been for more difficult group crafting with decent rewards for a long time now. Adding a miniscule chance at dropping a rediculously good reward would make a good carrot. Hopefully the lesser rewards could be close to the actual EoW or Drunder rewards too. Like say dropping raw gems for Ry'gorr crafting, chests full of plat, or maybe no-trade appearance clothing, furniture and mounts that we could auction off kinda like the rest of the stuff from Drunder and EoW that gets auctioned off for hundreds of plat?

After all, if your asking for something equivellent, it should take equivellent effort. And no, 2 hours of solo crafting doesn't equal 6 people working for even 30 minuites. A good portion of the difficulty comes from learning how to work with others and finding people willing to go. Grouping changes the meta-game. Not forcing people into this meta-game makes the current group instances really weak content that hardly challenges an actual group. All because we crafters demand to be able to solo all crafting content. That's like adventurers demanding to be able to solo all max level content including raids!

You are comparing apples to oranges. Group crafting instances are beyond the current Dev's programming capabilities. The best they can do is create a questline that requires all 9 professions to craft something either by commission or by single account. Considering the faction and prequest requirements, those types of quests are hardly easy.

You also fail to account for the fact that adventurers can have multiple chances at the reactant dropping in a single day by visiting multiple zones and killing multiple mobs. Crafters have only one chance per day with a less than 0.5% chance at a reactant dropping. The 2% you quote is already better.

What is the problem with asking for an additional crafting quest that is more involved and interesting that may result in a reactant dropping? Do you have a problem with crafters getting more content to enjoy?

Just because crafting quests can be solo'd does not make them less complex than adventuring quests. Besides, there are multi-box players who never need to learn to work with other groups to complete heroic content and other players who take pride in being able to complete heroic content with the smallest group possible. Grouping does not change the meta-game as much as you want us to believe.

Your analogy is weak and doesn't really support the status quo. Crafters should have more than one opportunity per day to possibly get a reactant, even if the odds for the additional quest are no better than the current odds for the TS Apprentice quest currently in the game. (Especially if there was zero chance of getting common harvests as a possible reward.) I certainly do not want it to be a quest that can be completed in 1 minute but it most likely would be something that could be solo'd if it was anything like the Mara Quests.

Meeting you halfway on it, what if this hypothetical additional daily quest (which should take at least an hour to complete) was only available to players who have complete the Prayer Shawl quest and Crafting Epic quests and had other faction requirements that would reflect having invested hours and hours into the game? Would that serve to keep reactants sufficiently rare? Notice that my suggestion is an additional daily quest that MIGHT drop a reactant, not a guaranteed drop at all.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Deveryn

Loremaster

Deornwulf wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Group crafting instances are beyond the current Dev's programming capabilities. The best they can do is create a questline that requires all 9 professions to craft something either by commission or by single account. Considering the faction and prequest requirements, those types of quests are hardly easy.

You also fail to account for the fact that adventurers can have multiple chances at the reactant dropping in a single day by visiting multiple zones and killing multiple mobs. Crafters have only one chance per day with a less than 0.5% chance at a reactant dropping. The 2% you quote is already better.

What is the problem with asking for an additional crafting quest that is more involved and interesting that may result in a reactant dropping? Do you have a problem with crafters getting more content to enjoy?

Just because crafting quests can be solo'd does not make them less complex than adventuring quests. Besides, there are multi-box players who never need to learn to work with other groups to complete heroic content and other players who take pride in being able to complete heroic content with the smallest group possible. Grouping does not change the meta-game as much as you want us to believe.

Your analogy is weak and doesn't really support the status quo. Crafters should have more than one opportunity per day to possibly get a reactant, even if the odds for the additional quest are no better than the current odds for the TS Apprentice quest currently in the game. (Especially if there was zero chance of getting common harvests as a possible reward.) I certainly do not want it to be a quest that can be completed in 1 minute but it most likely would be something that could be solo'd if it was anything like the Mara Quests.

Meeting you halfway on it, what if this hypothetical additional daily quest (which should take at least an hour to complete) was only available to players who have complete the Prayer Shawl quest and Crafting Epic quests and had other faction requirements that would reflect having invested hours and hours into the game? Would that serve to keep reactants sufficiently rare? Notice that my suggestion is an additional daily quest that MIGHT drop a reactant, not a guaranteed drop at all.

You say all this, but you fail to address the most important issue and that is the real value of a colossal reactant to a crafter, especially one that is nowhere near level 90 and probably never will be. Forget challenges and complexity of this and that. If you manage to find a way to justify an increase in chance to score a reactant, you might see a change happen. Show us how all these crafter alts benefit from having more reactants come in. They must benefit directly and it can't be financial gain.

There is already another way for crafters to get reactants. It's called adventuring.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
Destria
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Saints and Sinners

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

You say all this, but you fail to address the most important issue and that is the real value of a colossal reactant to a crafter, especially one that is nowhere near level 90 and probably never will be. Forget challenges and complexity of this and that. If you manage to find a way to justify an increase in chance to score a reactant, you might see a change happen. Show us how all these crafter alts benefit from having more reactants come in. They must benefit directly and it can't be financial gain.

There is already another way for crafters to get reactants. It's called adventuring.

There is ample need for me, as a crafter to get a reactant, so I can make something out of it, invite 23 other people to join me in a raid, mute it, and laugh....until they give me furniture to craft with it at any rate, and yes, I would craft furniture out of a colossal reactant.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Deornwulf

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

What exactly is the threat to you if crafters have a second quest from which they might have a miniscule chance of getting a reactant? If it is a pure crafter, they will be making an item for sale since a pure crafter would be unlikely to be able to use it. If the crafter happens to be a level 90, one extra crafting quest is unlikely to take the place of doing heroics with friends or guildmates but may have a slight chance to make it just a little easier for that crafter to be a better adventuring group or raid member.

As for a financial gain, crafting items for financial game is a very large part of what crafters do. They supply other players with good that those other players want. While some crafters may craft for friends and guildmates at a cost to themselves, many enjoy playing what little EQ2 has of a market.

Your view of crafter seems to be that they exist to be thankful for the privilege of taking commissions from elite raiders and scrabbling about for enought platinum to buy cast-offs from adventurers and should feel darn lucky for being allowed to do so.

Why does it threaten you so much for crafters to any more chances at having colossal reactants with which to make items out of the recipes they are spending the time to research?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
Meirril

Loremaster

Deornwulf wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Deornwulf wrote:

Wow. Ok, lets start off. When I proposed crafting instances here in these forums I was 100% focused on them as group content requiring the efforts of more than 1 crafter. I really really really intended for them to need a group of 4-6 people. Domino thought the idea was good enough to give it a shot. We talked about it a few times. I asked her about the implimentation and she said to me that she was listning to a large group of crafters that insisted that all crafting content needs to be soloable so she made the group content soloable with a large amount of effort.

Soloing the group content was a development choice Domino the then crafting developer made.

As for the current crafting developer...who is that again? You can see the amazing rapport we have with whoever is steering the ship. Right now I'm sure there are devs who wander though and read some of this stuff. Then they shake their heads and go on with something they actually enjoy working on. Insulting the devs as a collective by saying they can't create group content for crafters might get one to rise to the challenge and prove you wrong but it is more likely to make them less interested in listning to the crafters since they have other things they can do with their time.

The drop rate for reactants seem to be about the same between the crafting quest and actual drops. What your glossing over is that t9 reactants (unlike the previous 8 teirs) only drop from Drunder and EoW Boss mobs. That means 1 per zone, and you have to complete the zone. So a good 45min to an hour for a full group and if one drops you have to compete with 5 other people.

Yeah, adventurers can complete multiple instances for more shots per day. At 1 hour per instance how many instances are they going to complete? Compair that to people who have 12 level 90 crafters. I have serious doubts that crafter 10 wasn't created just to give another shot at the lottery.

I have been focused for the last 5 years in getting the devs to create group and eventually raid content for crafters. Sure, I'd like to see more interesting and especially repeatable quests. I'd like to see some good rewards for doing crafting day to day. But rewards should match not just the effort, but also the teir of the reward. For adventuring solo content is treasured. Group content is legendary. Raid content is fabled. We're definately talking about fabled rewards here so it should require more effort. Now if you want to do a shawl type effort for each day I'm all for that. Though I think having to grind 2 weeks of faction quests each and every time you want to do the shawl is a large part of what justifies the rewards for that quest so only being able to complete your bonus quest every 2 weeks sounds fair as well. Even at that, I'd just want better junk rewards not a larger chance at getting a reactant.

But if you really want an additional chance at getting a reactant follow the lead of so many other crafters: spend 2 weeks grinding another crafter to 90 and get another apprentice. That is 7 free chances, with additional character slots purchasable. As an additional bonus you can get all of the recipes to use said reactants with only 9 character slots. 9 chances per day, no chance anyone is going to out roll you AND you can craft all the components you need ahead of time and just log your character in, talk to the apprentice, turn in and log out. With enough dedicated bag space, you could leave your toon in a single location for upto 6 months! And the best part of all this: you can do it today, with no additional development time spent.