EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Dungeon Maker
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #61
vandewar

Loremaster

Here's a suggestion for dungeon-makers:

Put the exit portal next to the entrance.

I created a large Mistmoore dungeon (Dead On Pt. 2 - Permafrost) that awards 90 tokesn.  I knew not everyone would have the time to finish the dungeon, so this way they can leave when they want.  As long as you are using the exit portal, you will be awarded tokens based on the number of mobs you've killed up to that point.  (approx. 1 token per two mobs).

If you finish the dungeon to the end it will be a bit of a run back to the entrance/exit.  You can always let the last mob kill you and you are instantly back at the entrance/exit.

It's also nice when you are just a few tokens short of buying something on the marketplace.  You can kill what you need and leave instead of being trapped to the end.

vandewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #62
Kraag

Loremaster

Suggestion:

Have the name of the mob display on the Placed tab when it is changed, so you can easily find them on the list.

Kraag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #63
Missbee

Loremaster

I would love to see a treasure chest you can place in the dungeons. The loot would be random from next to worthless to a nice item or even a dundeon maker item. When I first saw the boxes you could get from Dungeon Maker on the Station Cash that was what they where. Loot might even be some extra experience for AA like in the pq.

Missbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #64
DancingFirefly

Lord

Missbee wrote:

I would love to see a treasure chest you can place in the dungeons. The loot would be random from next to worthless to a nice item or even a dundeon maker item. When I first saw the boxes you could get from Dungeon Maker on the Station Cash that was what they where. Loot might even be some extra experience for AA like in the pq.

I really love this idea, but I think it'd be open for abuse unless they make the chests 'unique' or randomly generated like the bosses are. Otherwise you'll see people make instances full of nothing but chests to loot.

Also, you could instead allow chests to give small player buffs in the form of 'equipment' which is 'worn' by the avatar. For instance, you could have a chest that gives a 5% increase to HP, etc. This could even be expanded to weapon racks, etc. But even that would be open for abuse by those who just stick it all at the entrance for an easier farm.

For every one well designed dungeon there will be at least twenty farms to follow. Changes have to be given careful consideration to make things fun for the people who build well designed dungeons without putting farmers at an extreme advantage.

But like I said, I love your idea, so don't feel too discouraged by my words It's just a reality of MMOs.

DancingFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #65
Sisca

Loremaster

DancingFirefly wrote:

Missbee wrote:

I really love this idea, but I think it'd be open for abuse unless they make the chests 'unique' or randomly generated like the bosses are. Otherwise you'll see people make instances full of nothing but chests to loot.

Also, you could instead allow chests to give small player buffs in the form of 'equipment' which is 'worn' by the avatar. For instance, you could have a chest that gives a 5% increase to HP, etc. This could even be expanded to weapon racks, etc. But even that would be open for abuse by those who just stick it all at the entrance for an easier farm.

For every one well designed dungeon there will be at least twenty farms to follow. Changes have to be given careful consideration to make things fun for the people who build well designed dungeons without putting farmers at an extreme advantage.

But like I said, I love your idea, so don't feel too discouraged by my words It's just a reality of MMOs.

I like this idea but I can see the potential for exploit if the drop is to good as well.

Some suggestions for implementing it - and please feel free to pick these apart that's why I throw them out there.

1. Various types of chests, from small chest to exquisite chest, that drop differeing levels of loot. But, no more than one of each type per dungeon.
  2. Instead of dropping weapons or armor that would give a bonus to the avatars and throw the balance out of whack, give strictly appearence armor and weapons for the avatars. That way my Bloodskull Orc doesn't look like everone elses Bloodskull Orc but the balance remains the same.
  3. For the higher level chests you could get something a bit more tangible such as a house item, maybe a plushie of the boss you killed to get the chest. It would be nice if this could be set by the dungeon designer. 
  4. Another option for the higher tiered chests would be an xp or marks boost for that dungeon, say no more than 5%. Again, it would be nice if this was a selectable item by the dungen designer.
  5. In fact a nice to have for further down the road would be a sort of checklist of potential items/item types that a chest can drop. When you place a chest the list could popup and the designer could check the items they want to have available in that chest. Then when the players hit it a random item is chosen from those marked as available. Want that chest to always drop an armor piece then just check armor from the list etc. 

Sisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #66
Sisca

Loremaster

I'm not sure if this has been posted earlier and I just missed it:

I'd like to see a preview of the dungeon layout for those layouts you can purchase in the store. Even nicer would be a preview of the layout and then a second preview that shows a screenshot of one of the rooms so you can get an idea of what the tileset looks like.

I'd like to see the tileset/screenshot preview added to the creation screen as well. This way when I'm brainstorming a new dungeon I can scroll through my available dungeons and get an idea of the overall look and feel of the map. 

Sisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #67
Snowhunter

Journeyman

I would like to see more boss mobs slectable in the dungeon market place than saving up to get a random boss mob that I do not want!! Mabey break a few of them down. I think folks would appreciate that a bit more and can customize their dungeon to fit their theme.
Snowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #68
Keran77

Loremaster

Sisca wrote:

I like this idea but I can see the potential for exploit if the drop is to good as well.

Some suggestions for implementing it - and please feel free to pick these apart that's why I throw them out there.

1. Various types of chests, from small chest to exquisite chest, that drop differeing levels of loot. But, no more than one of each type per dungeon.
  2. Instead of dropping weapons or armor that would give a bonus to the avatars and throw the balance out of whack, give strictly appearence armor and weapons for the avatars. That way my Bloodskull Orc doesn't look like everone elses Bloodskull Orc but the balance remains the same.
  3. For the higher level chests you could get something a bit more tangible such as a house item, maybe a plushie of the boss you killed to get the chest. It would be nice if this could be set by the dungeon designer. 
  4. Another option for the higher tiered chests would be an xp or marks boost for that dungeon, say no more than 5%. Again, it would be nice if this was a selectable item by the dungen designer.
  5. In fact a nice to have for further down the road would be a sort of checklist of potential items/item types that a chest can drop. When you place a chest the list could popup and the designer could check the items they want to have available in that chest. Then when the players hit it a random item is chosen from those marked as available. Want that chest to always drop an armor piece then just check armor from the list etc. 

Great idea!

Keran77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #69
Keran77

Loremaster

I really don't like current dungeons division in DM browsing interface - by layout theme. I mean - is it really so much important, is this dungeon a Mismoore themed layout (maybe small, maybe large, maybe with vamps... or with gnolls inside), or it's a Crushbone themed layout (may be with droags or undeads inside)? And some creators could even completely redecorate own dungeon, fully hiding all original look...

IMHO, theme means almost nothing when we need to group somehow similar dungeons together. Much more useful criteria could be a size of dungeon. Lets say, 5-7 rooms dungeons (Mistmoore 5, Crushbone 5 and Lair of Scale 4) are small, 8-10 rooms dungeons (Mistmoore 1, Crushbone 1, Crushbone 2, Crushbone 4 and Lair of Scale 1) are mediun, others (Chardock 1 and Crushbone 3) are large.

So, entering a dungeon, at least, I will know how much running there will be and - roughly - how much time it takes. Even some suggestions about CR could be done, if there still will be no explict info about it.

Also, if not to change completely current rating system, at least give us ability to sort the list not only by rating, but also by the number of reviews.

P.S. By the way, for house ratings, I think, theme-related division could be much better, then size-related.

Keran77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #70
DancingFirefly

Lord

Sisca wrote:

DancingFirefly wrote:

Missbee wrote:

1: I actually just got the idea of letting the quality of loot in the chest be determined by the number of tokens earned before opening it. So you'd typically see them at the end of the dungeon, since that's where players will have the most tokens. This way you won't see people make a dungeon with a bunch of chests for looting at the entrance. If they want good stuff (or anything at all), they'd have to clear out some or all of the enemies first.

2: This would be nice. I +1 this.

3-5: I like all these ideas.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #71
DancingFirefly

Lord

Sorry for the bump, but I got another idea.

Maybe we could have a way of storing the 'limited' spawners in our dungeon set too? I can see an inventory getting packed quickly with these spawners, and having some way to disassociate them from our inventory would be helpful.

Maybe treat them like bosses in that you're only allowed to have one, but instead have it set to a certain number instead based on how many you won? This would make rolling for monster spawners a bit more appealing, as my bank already has a bag and a half stuffed with spawners I'm not using. Since we're only allowed to have one dungeon per character, we don't really get a lot of opportunities to use the spawners either, not if we're going thematic anyhow. Though I might make a tavern of miscreants and include all my monster spawners just to be random.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #72
Pixiewrath
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Aristocrats

Loremaster

DancingFirefly wrote:

Sorry for the bump, but I got another idea.

Maybe we could have a way of storing the 'limited' spawners in our dungeon set too? I can see an inventory getting packed quickly with these spawners, and having some way to disassociate them from our inventory would be helpful.

Maybe treat them like bosses in that you're only allowed to have one, but instead have it set to a certain number instead based on how many you won? This would make rolling for monster spawners a bit more appealing, as my bank already has a bag and a half stuffed with spawners I'm not using. Since we're only allowed to have one dungeon per character, we don't really get a lot of opportunities to use the spawners either, not if we're going thematic anyhow. Though I might make a tavern of miscreants and include all my monster spawners just to be random.

We can have more than one dungeon. I read a dev saying that everytime you buy a layout from the marketplace, you unlock an extra slot for a dungeon to publish.

Pixiewrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #73
DancingFirefly

Lord

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

We can have more than one dungeon. I read a dev saying that everytime you buy a layout from the marketplace, you unlock an extra slot for a dungeon to publish.

Oh good. I'll have to try this. Thank you for the info.

Hopefully this is true, as I was a little bummed about the idea of having to swap dungeons out.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #74
msgnomer

Loremaster

I like many of the suggestions that have been posted.  Some are ones I was going to post too.  I'll go ahead and list a few that were my most wanted some I saw already posted, some not....

-being able to see the aggro area during design.  I liked someone's suggestions that it could be adjustable with the mouse wheel.  You could see a bubble or ring expand and contract.

-powerups that apply to individual mobs. 

-have powerdowns to apply to individual mobs.  It could make for interesting "swarms" or "yard trash" without being a level 50 death fest.  You could still balance it to be a particular level of challenge because of the numbers rather than the level.

-triggers that could set off music, environmental sounds, spawns, or some action

-permanent sound effects boxes that you could add to a particular room or area.

-spawn dialogue that you can choose between always triggering or random triggering

-if spawn dialogue is chosen random, then the ability to add multiple texts per trigger for the randomizer to choose from.

-maybe it's too difficult to program, but it really would allow for a lot more dungeon variety if mobs respected player placed objects.

Anyway, I just started using the dungeon maker yesterday and those are the things I most miss already.

Wow...seeing the powerdowns showing up already, along with being able to apply individually.  Cool.   

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #75
msgnomer

Loremaster

I'd like to add one more... -it might be hard to implement but I'd love npcs that you click on and get a dialogue. It would be wonderful to have some back and forth, but even a single statement from an npc would be good. Great for storytelling. While some dungeons have each and every entity out to get you, I can dream up some dungeons where a non-combatent npc here and there would aid and flesh out a dungeon's story. It's possible to do things with books. You can even use the magic mouths, if you set the dialogue in a house first. However, the magic mouth dialogue comes and goes very quickly and might not even be noticed in the dungeon setting. They are also disembodied. However, an npc you click on for dialogue could make the story text harder to miss (unless the player wants to miss it) and can add personality and nuance.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #76
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Edited my suggestion list as some things have been implemented.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #77
CatamanderEQ2

Loremaster

Just made a thread about this but suppose I should have put it in here:

1. Allow placement of multiple exits.

2. Portal pads.

3. Ring-event spawner. Allows placement of up to 5 waves of mobs in one location with variable delay between spawns.

4. Flavor text.  Just like the city signs from city festivals (which do not seem to work in the dungeons, though they are placeable).

CatamanderEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #78
msgnomer

Loremaster

Thought of a new suggestion...well not new, even I suggested both elements before along with other people.....

If you create an "awareness" reduction (or have the variable ring, or whatever) then it would be quite possible to supply a large open space for a dungeon design.  If other things were available to be singly applied even better, but there is already now the tier and level reduction singly available.  I, for one, would love a variety of outdoor terrains available as dungeons!

----------

Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #79
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

You can rename the dungeon, was added to the latest hotfix or the one before that.After you have published the dungeon you can enter the dungeon you want to rename, and type "/republish" and you will be able to name it, not only choose a picture.They didn't add an interface button for this for some reason though, but hopefully that is coming.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #80
Aethelred24

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Would be great if we could get a tag on these items, like the collection items, to tell us if we have added it to our collection already. Its a pain in group or raid to not have any idea if the item in the chest is usable by me or not, and I hate coming off as greedy if i dont need it.

On the same subject, a list of the Activators(Adventurers) and spawners we own somewhere would be fantastic. I hate having to go into a dungeon to know how many gnolls, vampires or orcs i have. I would love to be able to see that list somewhere on my persona window or a way to open that toolbox outside of a dungeon. Thanks

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to post.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #81
Lempo

Loremaster

You can rename the dungeon, was added to the latest hotfix or the one before that.After you have published the dungeon you can enter the dungeon you want to rename, and type "/republish" and you will be able to name it, not only choose a picture.They didn't add an interface button for this for some reason though, but hopefully that is coming.

The way I understood Rothgars explanation it was too cumbersome to do a simple rename, that it had to be done within the publishing code which can not be done external from the dungeon. You should leave well enough alone, the fact that this was acted on as quickly as it was is shocking. SMILEY

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #82
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The way I understood Rothgars explanation it was too cumbersome to do a simple rename, that it had to be done within the publishing code which can not be done external from the dungeon. You should leave well enough alone, the fact that this was acted on as quickly as it was is shocking.

But they could add a button in the dungeon interface at the location of publish/unpublish to republish. That way we can only use it inside the dungeon.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #83
Kilyanaa
Server: Storms
Guild: Aube Sanglante

Loremaster

I'm actually working on a customized dungeon with the layout editor, the problem is that mobs are running through the walls, and floors ><

I tried to fix as I can but even if they are on a floor tile they can walk on, sometimes they're falling through it during the edition. When I publish it, some are on the tile, some are under the tile, I can't find a good way to do it properly.

Mobs should be restricted to not go through furnitures and dungeon's item like players are.

Pleaaase fix this SMILEY

Kilyanaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #84
Iskandar

Loremaster

Part of the problem with the furniture is that the mobs are rendered first, then the decor -- and the mobs will "drop" to the floor if they are placed upon a furniture item. I had this issue too, with spawners I had placed on top of furniture (a boss mob for whom I had built a rather nice elevated throne/pedestal, for example). Pathing through the walls seems a lot worse in the Lair of Scale layouts than in the Chardok or Mistmore ones to me, too.

Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #85
Kilyanaa
Guild: Aube Sanglante

Loremaster

It's a very big problem, you can't do a totally custom dungeon because of that issue, it is totally buggy, I think I will wait for a fix to continue my project. *cross finger*

Kilyanaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #86
Celestite

Loremaster

While delving into Dungeons for marks today I noticed some things that really and truly should be implemented. I am sure they have probably been brought up at least once, however out of sight is out of mind, right? I did see that someone else mentioned some of these items... just a few posts prior to mine, however I am going to mention them again because they are interesting or good ideas.

1. In the crafting channel we were discussing the dungeon maker and how some of the dungeons really did not deserve to be "rated up". We mentioned that we would like to see an ability to "rate down" a badly thought out dungeon.
  2. We believe there should be a way to give feedback on a dungeon so the maker can see what people like or don't like about their dungeon. Admittedly this will probably open the door for flaming but if I were to publish a dungeon and no one was running it or rating it I would wonder why.
  3. The others who are making dungeons and I agree that a way to test run your dungeon without having to publish it for the general populace would be very, very helpful. That way we could figure out for ourselves if something will end up killing a player without it actually doing so and giving bad press for our dungeons.
  4. The ability to put multiple exits into a dungeon so the player didn't have to complete the whole dungeon in order to leave would be very nice. That way if someone is called away they don't lose all the tokens and time they put into getting where they were.
  5. Some people have mentioned that they get stuck in the dungeon and then have to exit it all together, losing the exp, tokens and time they put into it. It would be very nice to have a way to get un-stuck without losing everything. Either a /stuck command or giving an evac option to the avatars would be very appreciated.
  6. Some people have mentioned that they have a problem with going linkdead and losing all the exprience and tokens they would have gotten from a finish. It would be amazing if there was a way to get partial exp and tokens from a partial finish.
  7. The avatars being able to trigger the Magic Mouths would be appreciated. I know a lot of people who have great story ideas for their dungeons but have no way to tell it due to the lack of "flavor text".
  8. There are some people who have tried to set up very nice dungeons but have an issue with the pathing for the creatures. I am sure a lot of people would really like to see a "wander radius" added to the dungeon maker monsters so the monster doesn't walk a line but also doesn't wander the whole room. An example would be setting snakes to wander in circles inside a small pit instead of the entire room.
  9. Something mentioned over and over is the ability to see which dungeon maker monsters you have already added to your toolbox without having to use it. Though I am sure this is a work in progress right now, yet another squeaky wheel squeaking about it won't hurt.
  10. We were discussing one other thing and that is more layouts for the dungeon maker would be wonderful. Maybe making a dungeon maker layout like the tenebrous island one where you can completely design it from the ground up?
  11. Catamander mentioned in a previous post a couple of items that seem like they could make for very fun and interesting ideas. Adding portal pads so you can move the avatars from one area to another within the dungeon would be pretty neat. Opening up a lot of ways to make the dungeons more versatile.
  12. The same goes for Ring Events. Adding a way to make a ring event in a player made dungeon could add quite a bit of excitement and story line ideas, making them more interesting.

For now, that is all we can come up with, however I am certain there is more and I am also certain that as a company you are working to make this game as good as you can. I enjoy it very much.

Celestite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #87
cassleiner

Loremaster

Something that I would like to see is Feedback that is not only viewable by the dungeon owner, but those who may be interested in running that dungeon as well. That way, when you see a dungeon title that catches your eye, you can look at the latest few feedbacks, and if people have any problems with the dungeon, you can see this from the replies and not bother with it.

I have run too many dungeons that look promising, but end up really boring. For example the last one that I ran had only one mob type. The mob groups were all placed on top of each other and in a line through the middle of the rooms and halls. It was the most boring one I've run yet. I'd like to be able to leave some type of note to those who look at this one later to let them know that they may want to pass. On the other hand, I may find another dungeon with a totally innocuous name, but really rave reviews that I want to try.

To be honest, I have no clue how this could be implemented, but it would be something nice to have.

cassleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #88
Daisey
Server: Oasis
Guild: Compulsive Harvesters

Loremaster

Someone said - I know there is a quote thingy but I didn't want to quote the whole thing or edit it down.

"Some people just put 40 mobs in a room and say "kill it". Sometimes near the end of a dungeon, causing grief for those who really tried to do it. I haven't happened upon a room like that myself, but people complain on them in the chat all the time. If we have a system to give it a black star if it is too unbalanced and griefing, it could show a display of amount of stars instead of an average system. If a dungeon has 40 black stars because of bad balance, then people will keep away from it and run the dungeons people actually put some effort into making instead."

Guilty - My thing is that my mobs are leaving the room not just standing around.  It probably freaks people out when they see 20 mobs milling around but I've got a patrolling addiction.

Problem - Some rooms seem to turn on when you enter a dungeon while others don't.  It all plays into my patrolling addiction but sometimes some of my critters leave and they don't return.  When I get close enough to their destination they suddenly remember their duty.  When many .. ummm many mobs do this at once chaos ensues.

I have my current dungeon in progress up to 328 tokens.  I still have one room and a hallway to finish up before it is complete.  This dungeon is totally playable up to where I have tested.  I have two untested rooms that I will get to in a few minutes.

I agree that we should be able to test run a dungeon without publishing, but I have to admit I get a lot of tokens by testing.

edit:  Sorry this was supposed to go into a different thread but oh well I don't read so good no more. SMILEY

Daisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #89
msgnomer

Loremaster

I just encountered another thing I'd like:

There's an force effect that throws the player back.  It's kind of cool, except not if every mob in the room does it.  Then it gets annoyingly old.  I'd like to see the effect able to be applied to a single mob.

----------

Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #90
Whilhelmina
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

What about the possibility, promised in beta, to set an emote on the mobs? For example, an orc at the forge could be set to have the forging emote (if said emote exists for the mob).

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote