EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Connection Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Daysy

Loremaster

My apologies for making a new thread on this, I can't find the old one.

Every week after the normal patch/maintenance, there's a 1.1GB download. It was said that it's not "really" a download, but I can't see the difference between that, and something that takes half an hour and uses up between .5GB and 1GB of my monthly ISP allowance.

How do we get around this?

Daysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Daysy

Loremaster

Another week and another 1971MB download. Is there no way to avoid this?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Leinna

Loremaster

Most patches are 30-50MB at most.  The size you are seeing is not what is downloaded but what is modified (again modified meaning the files already existed they are just changing, its not another 2GB of data stored on the hard drive).  SoE patcher was not very clear on this.  If you notice when you patch it doesn't take very long to download 2GB 

Next time the game patches, before you close the launcher go into the options of the launcher and there is a status window that shows what was downloaded and patched.  At the very bottom of that window you will see a total sized downloaded vs modified and it will be much much less then you think.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Nefa
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Order of Light

Loremaster

I had this issue yesterday (patch day). had about 1GB of download. even if it was only "replacing" old files, it still is an 1.5 hr process. what is the reason it occurs for some and not others? 

Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Zergosch

Loremaster

Yesterday i got a patch with 2 gb, but i think this are the new zones, they deliver till release to reduce networktraffic when its released.

Zergosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Nefa
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Order of Light

Loremaster

so, been game tonight for about an hour. zoned, stalled out so quit to restart it and now its downloading 375mb of stuff.   Checking game installation...All files are up to dateChecking game installation...Found 9 file(s) to update.Patching paks/Char_pets.vpkPatching paks/dpo_housing_adv04.vpkPatching paks/Char_monsters5.vpkPatching paks/Char_ECA3.vpkPatching paks/ShaPal.vpkPatching paks/Char_exp04_rhino_mount.vpkReplacing app_cache.datPatching manifestPatching paks/Char_mounts.vpk

its is 6.30PM PST. there wasnt update when i logged in and now this......... why?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
TSR-MattG

Customer Service

It sounds like you're suffering from file corruption, either due to a bad hard drive, ram, or possibly antivirus. If you do happen to be running antivirus be sure there are exceptions set for everquest2.exe and launchpad.exe within it to avoid those problems, and you may want to run a check disk utility and possibly a program like Memtest86 to check your ram.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Morgania434

Lord

Umm sorry Matt, but everyone i spoke with who got kicked out of game last night came back to that specific patch. It isn't our computers. It the games patching.

p.s. we all assumed ( bad word, i know ) that the dev's were slowly updating files in prep for GU63 launch.

Morgania434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
TSR-MattG

Customer Service

OP said this has been happening as a regular occurrence. I'm not ruling out that what you said about last night is true, however it would not explain the reocurrences the OP has referenced.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Morgania434

Lord

Sorry Matt, i should have been more specific, I was referring to this : All files are up to date Checking game installation... Found 9 file(s) to update. Patching paks/Char_pets.vpk Patching paks/dpo_housing_adv04.vpk Patching paks/Char_monsters5.vpk Patching paks/Char_ECA3.vpk Patching paks/ShaPal.vpk Patching paks/Char_exp04_rhino_mount.vpk Replacing app_cache.dat Patching manifest Patching paks/Char_mounts.vpk Just one in a series of smaller patches that have been happening for a week? now. Not sure how long. Night before last it was another zones files. Sar i think.
Morgania434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Daysy

Loremaster

Although it's technically possible, I find it highly improbably that my friends and I all have corrupted files that have to be replaced every week. It's bad enough that half our evening's playtime is taken up with this patching but some people also have monthly limits on their downloads, and 4GB a month just on these patches is problematical. If we really had corrupt files, wouldn't that affect us while playing? I even reinstalled completely because it seemed that somehow I'd got infected by the streaming client instead of the normal one, because even after that huge patch, I'm getting the little creature and an amount of MB showing in the corner every time I zone, even when it's into places I've definitely been in the last week. Reinstalling didn't make the big patch or the background downloads go away. If these patches are preloading Update 63, then perhaps the patch notes should say so, instead of leaving us downloading huge amounts when apparently the only change is the stats on a handful of items.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
CantbeBothered

Loremaster

Another massive update (1424MB) this week.  After another one last week.  There must be something wrong with our patchers or installs, but it seems pretty common if I ask other players if they had the same.

Thats fine on my desktop (except I have to wait about 30 mins for the thing to patch before I can actually play, not good if you just have an hour to fill), but it's deadly on my laptop if I am away and on 3G (which is what the laptop is for...)

Is this working as intended (preloading the GU?) or is something wrong with my setup?

Quick update - its definatly downloading stuff, network rate about 500KB/sec, been going 10 mins and downloaded 300MB.  Seems to be replaceing voice packs? 

Replacing paks/adv04_dun_drgn_temple_SG.vpkReplacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_hub_SG.vpkReplacing paks/Char_ACC.vpkReplacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_SG.vpkReplacing paks/appcache.vpkReplacing paks/adv04_dun_bird_cage_SG.vpkReplacing paks/antonica_epic02_firemyst_SG.vpkReplacing paks/Char_C1.vpkReplacing paks/adv04_rgn_mystic_lake_SG.vpkReplacing paks/Char_ECA.vpkReplacing paks/Char_exp03_global_02.vpkReplacing paks/Char_exp04_burynai.vpkReplacing paks/Char_exp04_erollisi.vpkReplacing paks/Char_froglok.vpkReplacing paks/Char_genie_pet.vpkReplacing paks/Char_monsters4.vpkReplacing paks/Char_monsters5.vpkReplacing paks/Char_Sa.vpkReplacing paks/Char_Shd_SOGA.vpkReplacing paks/Char_SOGA.vpk

Replacing paks/spmisc.vpkReplacing paks/spmisc2.vpkReplacing paks/steppes_epic01_cove_SG.vpkReplacing paks/runnyeye_advanced_SG.vpkReplacing paks/rivervale_SG.vpkReplacing paks/runnyeye_SG.vpkReplacing paks/steppes_SG.vpkReplacing paks/tutorial_island02_SG.vpkReplacing paks/solusekseye_SG.vpkReplacing paks/varsoon_SG.vpkReplacing paks/wailingcaves_SG.vpkReplacing clientvdl.bvdPatching SequenceSound.dllCreating UI/Default/images/icons/icon_is113.ddsReplacing UI/Default/images/icons/icon_is112.ddsPatching EverQuest2.exeReplacing app_cache.datPatching manifestFinished downloading 1,462,169,876 bytes in 3,110.108 seconds (470,134 bytes per second)Saved 10,668,374 bytes with delta patches

Somethings wrong here...

CantbeBothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Peogia

Loremaster

Daysy wrote:

My apologies for making a new thread on this, I can't find the old one.

Every week after the normal patch/maintenance, there's a 1.1GB download. It was said that it's not "really" a download, but I can't see the difference between that, and something that takes half an hour and uses up between .5GB and 1GB of my monthly ISP allowance.

How do we get around this?

Daysy wrote:

Another week and another 1971MB download. Is there no way to avoid this?

TSR-MattG wrote:

It sounds like you're suffering from file corruption, either due to a bad hard drive, ram, or possibly antivirus. If you do happen to be running antivirus be sure there are exceptions set for everquest2.exe and launchpad.exe within it to avoid those problems, and you may want to run a check disk utility and possibly a program like Memtest86 to check your ram.

NO...

This is how it has been since we have been forced to use LP4... LP2 never had these issues 

LP2: standard tuesday patches ect a second or so to patch up and launch game

LP4: mandatory 15-30minutes plus with many launchpad restarts it appears to get stuck patching allot donno why its a clean fresh install nets clear and high speed and high bandwidth loads of resources but the launchpad still stalls and fails to do its job properly in a timely manner and yes it always says every time tuesday ect comes around 2GB or more which is pretty ridicules

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Lempo

Loremaster

As generally being the critical one, I have NO problems with LP4, technically, I think it is gawdy I HATE that it closes on it's own but I can live with that.

I am not seeing downloads of this size, it says it on the main screen but when I view the details it is always signifigantly less by using Delta patches, which SOE has been using for AGES it was only improved to be more tolerant of people that patched infrequently.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
Nailoo
Server: Unrest

Loremaster

CantbeBothered wrote:

Another massive update (1424MB) this week.  After another one last week.  There must be something wrong with our patchers or installs, but it seems pretty common if I ask other players if they had the same.

Somethings wrong here...

Logged in just a few mins ago and got the same thing, 1422 MB update and I'm supposed to raid in 15 minutes.  

What is going on with this and why can't anyone tell us what's going on?  Most of my guildies and friends had the same huge update last week as well so I highly doubt that it's individual computers that are having problems.  

Can you guys please fix this?  It's messing with raids and it's just annoying to have unplanned, unannounced, updates happen when you're wanting to play. 

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Daysy

Loremaster

Another week and another evening written off as all in the guild (different operating systems, different ISPs, different countries) are all sitting downloading more than 1.4GB. Every week it's the same files downloading and installing. Why is this necessary?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Telairee

Loremaster

I am having this exact same issue as well, taking hours to get the game going, even getting errors in between the files as well as the large amount it wants to download in the first place (this time it happens to be 1001 mb):

*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_jarsath_wastes.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 163. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_jarsath_wastes.vpkPatching paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 4673. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpkPatching paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 677. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpkPatching paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 5406. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpkPatching paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 2214. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk

Telairee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Lempo

Loremaster

Telairee wrote:

I am having this exact same issue as well, taking hours to get the game going, even getting errors in between the files as well as the large amount it wants to download in the first place (this time it happens to be 1001 mb):

*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_jarsath_wastes.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 163. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_jarsath_wastes.vpkPatching paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 4673. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpkPatching paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 677. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpkPatching paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 5406. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpkPatching paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 2214. Starting over.*Warning: Retrying paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk

This looks very much like you have a memory error or a hard disk that has some bad sectors.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

download the ISO file for that and burn it to a CD image Windows 7 has this built into the shell, just right click on the file in explorer after downloading it, or if you already have an app that will burn CD images that will work fine. Do not burn the file to the disk, it must be written as a disk image or it will not work. Allow this to run overnight, at least 6-8 hours, most of the time memory erros will cause crashes but they can hide and never be noticed unless you are using something that calculates checksums.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
Polyneikes

Loremaster

I am getting the same behaviour and its really starting to get annoying. Even the smallest update note means downloading 1gig or more for the past weeks. For reference, this weeks patch starts like this:

Checking game installation...Found 160 file(s) to update.Replacing paks/adv04_rgn_mystic_lake_SG.vpkReplacing Miles/AudioCapture.fltReplacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_hub_SG.vpkReplacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_SG.vpkReplacing paks/adv04_rgn_village_SG.vpkReplacing paks/adv04_dun_drgn_temple_SG.vpkReplacing paks/adv04_dun_bird_cage_SG.vpkReplacing paks/adv04_dun_endless_SG.vpkReplacing paks/antonica_SG.vpkReplacing paks/antonica_epic02_firemyst_SG.vpkReplacing paks/appcache.vpkReplacing paks/befallen_epic01_SG.vpkReplacing paks/blackburrow_SG.vpkReplacing paks/cazicthule_SG.vpkReplacing paks/Char_ACC.vpkReplacing paks/befallen_SG.vpk...

It calculated 1.4 gig and it will definitely be downloading that much, so I don't understand how people keep saying that it downloads significantly less.

Polyneikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
CantbeBothered

Loremaster

Any update on this?  Today my patcher tried to switch me to streaming....  and deleted all the PAKS....

Now it wants to download 14GB of stuff in the background..... What is going on, something is very very wrong with the patcher.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
Avacii
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Validus

Loremaster

Myself and a lot of players get this on Slitpaw - A multi-Gigabyte download for a small patch.

What we do to get around it is:- start LaunchPad- Top Left corner change to US English  (from UK English that splitpaw requires)- Allow the patcher to update the files- Close and restart Launchpad - Change back to UK English - It now no longer wants to download 1+GB- Play the game

I'm not saying this is the definitive solution for yourself but players on Splitpaw have been getting these unnecessary large patches for a long time. Why the Patcher wants to download 1+GB for UK English but not for US English is beyond anyone who has ever written more than Hello World but is commensurate with SOE's typical standards.

Hope this helps - if it doesn't then I hope you get a response faster than the Drunder Loot-thread which has been awaiting a reply since September 14th 2011.

Avacii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
joeygopher

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Myself and a lot of players get this on Slitpaw - A multi-Gigabyte download for a small patch.

What we do to get around it is:- start LaunchPad- Top Left corner change to US English  (from UK English that splitpaw requires)- Allow the patcher to update the files- Close and restart Launchpad - Change back to UK English - It now no longer wants to download 1+GB- Play the game

I'm not saying this is the definitive solution for yourself but players on Splitpaw have been getting these unnecessary large patches for a long time. Why the Patcher wants to download 1+GB for UK English but not for US English is beyond anyone who has ever written more than Hello World but is commensurate with SOE's typical standards.

Hope this helps - if it doesn't then I hope you get a response faster than the Drunder Loot-thread which has been awaiting a reply since September 14th 2011.

i get this all the time on splitpaw too - and it's a half-hour wait at least unless you switch to the US version and patch then switch back to EU.

joeygopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
Daysy

Loremaster

We're still getting this on Splitpaw. Is it going to be fixed?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #24
Avacii

Loremaster

If I update using UK English the Launchpad wants to download 1,550 MB.If I update using US English the Launchpad wants to download 304 MB.

Why such a difference when my game will play perfectly fine on Splitpaw with the US English files?How about incurring the cost of having a developer fix this rather than the cost of lost subscriptions?

And, shock horror, how about some quality feedback regarding this such as ackowledgement the Launchpad isn't performing optimally for your UK English players and that you will fix this by a certain date?

Customer Service isn't hard - Persuading lost players to return is.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Polyneikes

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Thanks so much for this information, works like a charm, even now on the GU! So its a problem concerning the EU players only, which explains why noone is giving us any answers here.

Polyneikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Avacii

Loremaster

And .... another 690mb Patch for EU English / Splitpaw is reduced to 54mb by downloading the US English version 

And .... still no acknowledgement by SOE there is an issue except for usual "turn off Anti-Virus, blah blah ...", which I guess in their book means the issue is resolved. Yet everyone I know (granted, that's not all players) on Splitpaw suffers from this so it can't be everyones various Anti-virus, etc (which are the same products as used by US customers) - or can it?

Or maybe (and this is my favourite theory) SOE don't care about paying customer and their Customer Service Representative's neither serve or represent paying customers ....

Good Customer Service costs little - Bad Customer Service costs jobs.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
Gladiolus

Loremaster

Yet another 1.88GB download. Why is this problem being ignored?

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
Avacii

Loremaster

And .... the ignoring of this issue continues for another game update.

This is not limited to the Original Poster but is limited to everyone on Splitpaw.

GU64 is a 2081Mb download when set to EU English.GU64 is a  181Mb download when set to US English.

You really do look staggeringly incompetent in regard to both the unneccessary downloading and in your lack of feedback.Or do you only reply to Original Posters then ignore any follow up information? Should each and everyone of us make a seperate thread?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
CantbeBothered

Loremaster

Well, today the 'workaround' seems to be broken.

US english - 668kb.  EU english over 1GB update.  And swapping to US then back again doesn't seem to fix the issue any more, I'm still downloading 1GB of useless VPKs that I already have.

Sony obviously don't want any non-US customers, and they wont be getting my custom ever again.  You were told about this issue ages ago, and it's still not fixed.  Completely hopeless service.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #30
paulrichie

Loremaster

Workaround still worked for me today.

1Gb download down 67,176Kb

I wonder if SoE realise they are an online company and this should be the basics they are getting right?

While the workaround is still working for me, my prime concern is what happens when we switch to the new ProSieben launcher, maybe it's time to contact ProSieben and see if they can put some pressure as SoE have been unable to fix this for 6 months+

paulrichie is offline   Reply With Quote