EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Beastlord
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Zinwrath

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Ok.  So i got my beastlord up and started shoving AA"s in and noticed something off.  I have tons of AA's that seem to all make my pet better at taking hits...allowing me to heal it in various ways etc.  But why?  It cant hold agro.  I can do any ability usually and immidiatly regain agro off it.  Theres also a lot of pet specific ability points that increase the pets ability to take hits.   Why are there so many AA and pet ability points dedicated to something that currently has 0 use?   I guess it helps keep it up in raids where it might take AE damage ..but even still i dont fully get these.

There is also very  many AA dedicated to me taking more damage through various ways.   Atleast i can figure in for soloing beastlords or pvp, but generally i feel like a lot of the beastlord aa's are incredibly generic.  We will have about 3-4 different ones that buff the same ability in almost the exact same way.  Cool class concept etc.  Just wish the AA were given another look over...as many fo them either dont make sense or are just plain boring compared to other classes AA.

Zinwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Pengefinchess

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 158
Default

Im still very early on in BL's and Warders but my understanding is its not supposed to be a tank pet for you particularly, you fight alongside it. You can bounce aggro between you if you're careful.

__________________
Good luck and be fecund
Pengefinchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Ragnaphore

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 715
Default

The pet abilities to take hits aren't useful at low level but you couldn't live without them at higher level when pretty much every mobs have some kind of AoE.

Ragnaphore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Zinwrath

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default

you ever look in the shadow AA?  animalist we get "increase hp by 1% per point' or "increase power 1% per point"  these are so boring.....not only do we already have 2 if nto 3 other aa's that give us flat HP.....but its just boring compared to anyone else's class with AA's on that teir.   It really feels like when it came down to sticking in AA"s they just kinda tossed together some really generic ones to fill the slots in a rush because they didnt have time to be as creative as many other classes.   i dunno thats just my two cents on it.   but ya i can see how the healing would be good when theres lots of AE's.

Zinwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

Zinwrath wrote:

you ever look in the shadow AA?  animalist we get "increase hp by 1% per point' or "increase power 1% per point"  these are so boring.....not only do we already have 2 if nto 3 other aa's that give us flat HP.....but its just boring compared to anyone else's class with AA's on that teir.   It really feels like when it came down to sticking in AA"s they just kinda tossed together some really generic ones to fill the slots in a rush because they didnt have time to be as creative as many other classes.   i dunno thats just my two cents on it.   but ya i can see how the healing would be good when theres lots of AE's.

Yes they're terribly borring aa's that allow you to reach insane HP pool levels and stay in on ae's that normally only tanks survive.

Yes, they're just horrible choices.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Gilasil

Loremaster
Gilasil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 907
Default

Everybody has those 1% increasers.  Don't scorn them, they add up. 

Read those abilities over again.   There's a LOT of good stuff in there.  Especially the ones which increase the cooldown time for savagry.  Get them.  I thought they were comparable to the kind of increases other classes get.

As for warder survivability.  Forget warder tanking, that's not the point.  When I'm going into tough content I always bring one of my more survivable warders.  I also put points into making them even more survivable.  It can be frightening how fast a warder starting at full health can go down.  There's just too many ways for warders to die and if our warder dies we're pretty much hosed unless/until we manage to get it back up again. 

I went for the warder death save too.  I don't have a death save but my warder does.  it's gotten me through some tight situations.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Leawyn

Loremaster
Leawyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,014
Default

You also seem to overlook the fact that BL's get only 6 or so actual combat arts. There really isn't a whole lot they can do to 6 abilities.

__________________


Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
wullailhuit

Loremaster
wullailhuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,007
Default

nm....ignore...I miss-read.

__________________
wullailhuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Zinwrath

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Zinwrath wrote:

you ever look in the shadow AA?  animalist we get "increase hp by 1% per point' or "increase power 1% per point"  these are so boring.....not only do we already have 2 if nto 3 other aa's that give us flat HP.....but its just boring compared to anyone else's class with AA's on that teir.   It really feels like when it came down to sticking in AA"s they just kinda tossed together some really generic ones to fill the slots in a rush because they didnt have time to be as creative as many other classes.   i dunno thats just my two cents on it.   but ya i can see how the healing would be good when theres lots of AE's.

Yes they're terribly borring aa's that allow you to reach insane HP pool levels and stay in on ae's that normally only tanks survive.

Yes, they're just horrible choices.

you seem to miss the point entirely. its not that HP isnt good...its boring. Its a lazy design. Sorry i like variety...i mean in theory they could just make EVERY aa say "increase damage of all abilitys and gives HP" and it'd be good...real good...but boring. Point of AA is so someone can customize their character and feel the satisfaction of being able to fine tune to a certain playstyle or purpose. The AA's have a lot of redundant bonuses. for example...

in the scout part of our shadow AA, we get two upgrade options to our dps stance and our defencive stance that increases the stats on those buffs...now look a little further down in the beastlord tab of the shadow aa...an ability to increase the offencive stance stats and the defencive stance stats......theres also 3 AA upgrade to just spinechiller which isnt exactly an exciting ability in itself imo..typical nuke/dot.

I could continue to show examples of this, but its obvious to anyone who just goes and...looks at them. I compare them to several other classes AA's and while you get the occasional AA that effects the same stat or ability, many times its in a completely different way and definitly doesnt happen as often as it does in the BL aa tree. I understand that the Beastlord doesnt have very many abilitys up at a time so perhaps that plays a part in why whoever designed them had a difficult time creating different types. But in the end they could have if put forth the effort and time and it'd be more interesting. If you simply dont care about it and in the end cshoving ability points 250 times into an AA option that simply made you hit really hard and take a lot of hits cuz in the end you just wanna see those numbers on the dps score....well good for you. but some of us would like to have fun in our AA placement and i think it wouldnt hurt anyone if SOE took the extra time to make them more interesting.

Zinwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Zinwrath

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Gilasil wrote:

Everybody has those 1% increasers.  Don't scorn them, they add up. 

Read those abilities over again.   There's a LOT of good stuff in there.  Especially the ones which increase the cooldown time for savagry.  Get them.  I thought they were comparable to the kind of increases other classes get.

As for warder survivability.  Forget warder tanking, that's not the point.  When I'm going into tough content I always bring one of my more survivable warders.  I also put points into making them even more survivable.  It can be frightening how fast a warder starting at full health can go down.  There's just too many ways for warders to die and if our warder dies we're pretty much hosed unless/until we manage to get it back up again. 

I went for the warder death save too.  I don't have a death save but my warder does.  it's gotten me through some tight situations.

Ya like i said i understand the warder survival in the situation of late game AOEs that could make it hard for the warder to survive.   I am not knocking the effetiveness of 1% increaseers.  I am knocking the generic AA options that contain no imagination in the slightest.  Look at any of your other characters AA's then come back to the Bl i think you'll see what i mean.

Zinwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
kalaria

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 121
Default

Beastlords dont get much else through AAs due to the fact that their base abilities already are quite powerful and unique.Look at what other class skills do without any AA enhancements, compared to what BL abilities do without any AA investments.... not even in the same ball park.

kalaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Gilasil

Loremaster
Gilasil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 907
Default

If you don't like the pet survivability AAs you can certainly avoid them.  Save them for those of us who like them.  I think many do consider them a waste of AAs.  AAs are all about letting you customize your character a bit. 

For me pet survivability is important in both solo and heroic situations (haven't taken this toon on a raid yet).  In solo situations it usually happens when fighting a group of mobs, sometimes it's hard to keep the pet from grabbing aggro on some.  Likewise with adds.  Especially with adds.  If all my AoEs are on cooldown and I get a group of adds that pet's probably going to have aggro from at least some of them.  In heroic it most often happens from AoEs.  Yes there's a lot of things with AoEs in heroic content.  I had a particularly bad time with heroic sarnaks on an offensive (hence fragile) pet.

If you can always keep your pet from getting aggro and you never fight something with AoEs then by all means skip those and put your points into something more useful to you. 

Finally, there's a lot of AAs which give extra abilities (always nice) or buff existing abilities.  I made it a point to grab every deaggro ability and buff to an existing ability I could.  Not nearly enough of course but something.

As for things which improve my ability to take damage that's always nice.  Even in heroic content there's plenty of ways for us to get damage even when someone's tanking.  Especially when we have to be very very careful to avoid ripping aggro and rip it even then.  WAY too many times I've done some small thing and I'm looking at a 100% aggro meter.  That's when every thing which helps avoid taking damage can be nice.  I suppose if you're only going to group with good tanks that won't be a problem.  I do a lot of PUGs and it's very much a problem.  Again though, you can avoid taking most of those if you don't feel you need them.

As for just general creativity of AAs.  Well there's new abilities and new effects of existing abilities.  In any event, it looks no worse then the fighter AA trees with which I'm most familiar.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.