EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #31
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Hate to say it but it sounds like it's being priced to fail. 

Not if you have experience with getting banned cause you bought SC cards bought with stolen credit cards...

There is more risk in purchacing SC from people you don't know, where kronos are risk free.

And buying kronos keeps it from being bought with a stolen credit card... how exactly?

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

a) SC cards might still end up being preferred. Cheaper and more versatile (can be used for time and items) and will most likely sell for same price as krono.

Exactly why I said it is priced to fail.  People will fall back to the SC cards because it's cheaper. 

What I was hoping for was a price more in-line with current monthly pricing while SOE takes a minor cut out of the plat sale.  That would allow them to minorly remove some plat from the game.  Also, I was hoping for more of a system similar to what is in Champions Online and Star Trek Online where one could buy the virtual cash (Zen) in increments (as small as 1 Zen) using an in-game brokerage.  Sadly we get a weak version that isn't too appealing.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #33
Brigh

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

Brigh wrote:

It would be awesome if this item was dropped in PvP.

I don't see them dropping items that cost real money in that fashion.

It happens in Eve Online with PLEX.

There have been destructions of ships dropping 30, 80, 100s of PLEX in their cargo.

Stupid people.

It is well within the game rules.

The WarZ devs are considering allowing looting of items bought for gold (bought with RL money) if they are in your backpack when you die.

Hateeternal wrote:

LoL I had to laugh so hard when I read this.

This is shamelessly ripped off of the game Tera. They have it over there since it started and they're called "Chronoscrolls".

SOE could've at least use some fantasy with the name but this is just lazy... 

Well here in Germany we have a saying it goes like "rather steal a good idea than thinking of a bad one by yourself"  (at least somewhat like that   and I'm always low on money so I very much welcome this anyway.

I don't think it's gonna work over here though, because there is already such an incredible amount of plat in the game

that they're not gonna be worth anything. And noone is gonna spend 15 bucks for that only to make it into 2-5k plat.

TERA only started in S.Korea in 2011, then 2012 outside. 

Eve Online has been doing this for several years.

[email protected] wrote:

This is the worst idea I've heard of in the history of bad ideas for this game, all it does is streamline plat purchacing ingame by offering a tradeable ingame comodity for real money, do not do this..

You must not be an Eve Online player.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
SteelPiston

Loremaster

I think they will sell for the same plat price as a 1500SC card does on an average day. In fact, under cutters on the broker will make these around 800P or less.

My only concern is the money laundering possibility. Some people or guilds will horde Krona via SLR or buying them from the broker with the plat gained from raiding.  Unscrupulous people will then sell it via Paypal or some other similar method for $US. SOE will have to track the flow of this stuff very carefully. I know that it states selling "Krona" is illegal, but so are many other things and people still do it.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
Maisland

Loremaster

What caught my eye was this:

Q. How can I acquire them?

A. You can buy a new Krono from SOE for US $17.99 or less. Players can also gift Krono to other players, trade them, and sell them for in-game currency.

Note the part I highlighted.  So basically, a 30-day Krono could cost more than a game time card or a regular subscription.  (I say COULD because they do also say "or less" there.)

Uh, thanks, but no thanks.  If the base cost is more than what I would pay for a 30 day subscription, I am not interested... not even to use as a gift for a friend.

Maisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #36
ZUES

Loremaster

SOE charging $17.99 for this is ridiculous and I will intentionally avoid them just for that reason. They make more money selling it at the same price as Walmart Game Card or other distributor. There is no logistical fees involved and no commissions to pay out. But instead of charging the normal price they are getting stingy. This is not a very tactful strategy. Good idea, bad price.

If I was a millionaire and gave 1 million people each a dollar, I would be broke. But if I was broke and a million people to each give me a dollar, I would be a millionaire! Don't underestimate that value of selling something for less SOE!

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
bucketon

Loremaster

i think buying one of these will be a very tempting prospect for a newer player trying to catch up, and the fact that it is soe approved is an interesting twist to the whole plat buying thing.

I also think its going to drive up the price of collectables if it is a success.

bucketon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
Gravy

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

A. You can buy a new Krono from SOE for US $17.99 or less. Players can also gift Krono to other players, trade them, and sell them for in-game currency.

Note the part I highlighted.  So basically, a 30-day Krono could cost more than a game time card or a regular subscription.  (I say COULD because they do also say "or less" there.)

Uh, thanks, but no thanks.  If the base cost is more than what I would pay for a 30 day subscription, I am not interested... not even to use as a gift for a friend.

You are paying a premium for the ability to basically buy plat with dollars or buy a monthly sub with plat.

You buy the Krono with dollars and sell it for plat or you buy a Krono with plat and buy a monthly sub.

If you don't want to do that - then you don't have to.

If you're not interested in buying plat with dollars or buying gametime with plat its not for you.

If you are, then you have to pay a premium.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #39
Leawyn

Loremaster

Gravy wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

A. You can buy a new Krono from SOE for US $17.99 or less. Players can also gift Krono to other players, trade them, and sell them for in-game currency.

You are paying a premium for the ability to basically buy plat with dollars or buy a monthly sub with plat.

You buy the Krono with dollars and sell it for plat or you buy a Krono with plat and buy a monthly sub.

If you don't want to do that - then you don't have to.

If you're not interested in buying plat with dollars or buying gametime with plat its not for you.

If you are, then you have to pay a premium.

To be fair, it does say "or less." Until they're up for purchase, we won't know the actual price.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #40
Hennyo

Loremaster

There seems to be a little detail most people seem to be overlooking when it comes to the $17.99 price point. Krono can pay for a months sub of a station access pass, hence the 3 dollar price hike over a normal non recurring monthly sub.
Hennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
Marnus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Tandros os Thol

Loremaster

ZUES wrote:

SOE charging $17.99 for this is ridiculous and I will intentionally avoid them just for that reason. They make more money selling it at the same price as Walmart Game Card or other distributor. There is no logistical fees involved and no commissions to pay out. But instead of charging the normal price they are getting stingy. This is not a very tactful strategy. Good idea, bad price.

If I was a millionaire and gave 1 million people each a dollar, I would be broke. But if I was broke and a million people to each give me a dollar, I would be a millionaire! Don't underestimate that value of selling something for less SOE!

You are correct for those that pay 14.99 and just play eq2. I have an all access sub, which costs 19.99, and since this will give 1 month game time for me, regardless of what kind of sub it is, its 2 dollars savings a month-which isnt much, but its still a decent deal imo, considering we get the extra character slots, discount on expansions, ability to play all their games, etc.

Marnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
Regolas

Loremaster

As people are saying, there's no point buying krono for real money if you yourself are just going to convert it to game time. You might as well buy a SC card. The extra $3 they make compared with a standard sub is a "tax" but it shouldn't effect the players. PoorNoob buys krono for $ and sells to RichVet for plat. RichVet gets free game time, PoorNoob isn't as poor. If RichVet doesn't farm his plat and can't afford to buy krono, he can still sub the old fashioned way.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #43
Terrorpeutic

Elder

Or maybe they're thinking of a sales gimmick already:

"This weekend only, 15% discount on Kronos"

Terrorpeutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
Seleine

Lord

I am sitting on a lot of SC that I can't spend as I ran out of stuff I want, and I had stocked up on SC when you could purchase game time with it.  I would gladly use my SC to purchase Krono's as I don't have the PP to trade/purchase.  I play month to month so I am not eligible to gift ingame.

Seleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #45
Geothe

Loremaster

Seleine wrote:

I am sitting on a lot of SC that I can't spend as I ran out of stuff I want, and I had stocked up on SC when you could purchase game time with it.  I would gladly use my SC to purchase Krono's as I don't have the PP to trade/purchase.  I play month to month so I am not eligible to gift ingame.

Sorry,They wont allow Krono to be purchased with SC at all.SC has been extremely devalued due to all the double/triple SC promotions. 

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #46
Gilasil

Loremaster

crazyeyes321 wrote:

17.99?  Maybe its just me, but if they price it above the actual cost of a Walmart giftcard or standard sub pricing, they will miss out on money as people that currently sell SC cards in game and are reliable will be a prime source for penny pinchers.

edit:  I like the concept, and 3 dollars isnt anything really.  However, they still need to find SOMETHING to put in the game that serves as a WORTHWHILE plat sink.

The way I see it is it just might work and here's why:

The person actually buying it is not the person using it.  From the point of view of the person buying it, he's buying an item which he can trade for thousands of plat.  The fact that it represents game time is almost irrelevent.  If the going rate of kronos for plat is acceptable to him he won't have a problem with it costing more then a 1 month of a gold subscription.  He isn't buying one month of a gold subscription.  He's buying plat.

From the point of view of the person who paid plat for the krono and is using it to play for free, he doesn't care how much cash it originally cost.  He just cares about if the amount of plat he has to fork over is a reasonable trade for a month of playing.

So by seperating things out -- one person pays cash for plat, another pays plat for free playing -- it doesn't really matter that the price of the Krono is actually higher then the price of the subscription.  All that matters is each person thinks they're getting good deal.

And SoE gets a lot of money.  Which they'll probably consider a good deal.

I can see that happening.

--------

Others said that game cards will still rule.  Well maybe but I doubt it.  With game cards there's danger of scamming.  Over the last year or so I've seen quite a few posts by people who were scammed.  Also, someone mentioned getting banned for using a SC card which had been bought by someone else with a stolen credit card.  Except here SoE will be dealing directly with the purchasers and can deal with them directly.  If you buy a Krono from SoE with a stolen credit card, SoE will come after YOU, not the person you sold the Krono to.  Because SoE will have a record of who bought it.

------------------------

I thought about it some more and realized this could really change the economy and cause massive inflation.  The reasoning makes a couple assumptions though, and if they're not true it won't happen.

Assuming:

1.  Most players do not have massive amounts of plat 10s to 100s of thousands.  I'm assuming most players are like me and have at most a few hundred.

2.  Many of the players who do NOT have the plat don't because they work at jobs all day.  As an huge oversimplification people who have a lot of time to play tend not to have a lot of money; people who have a lot of money tend not to have a lot of time to play.

3.  People who have 10s to 100s of thousands of plat have nothing to spend it on.  It's basically sitting there.  For all practical purposes it might as well not be in the game.

Now this comes along.  Suddenly people who have real world money can turn some of that into plat.  There might even be a glut on the market of kronos.  The people with all that plat snatch up the Kronos thus spreading that plat around to a LOT more people.  THOSE people can indeed use that plat to buy masters, high end items, SLR, whatever.

Suddenly all that money which had been sitting there doing nothing is redistributed all over the game.  For all practical purposes it's as if there were a massive infusion of 100s of thousands to millions of plat into the game economy. 

Instant inflation.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
Regolas

Loremaster

Correct this could happen. Im not sure it will though. I could buy many kronos to sell for plat, but I won't because its a computer game and I don't want to spend lots on it. The SLR raiders plat may well get distributed out a bit more. But it will ultimately keep coming back to them as they keep farming content.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #48
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Not if you have experience with getting banned cause you bought SC cards bought with stolen credit cards...

There is more risk in purchacing SC from people you don't know, where kronos are risk free.

And buying kronos keeps it from being bought with a stolen credit card... how exactly?

I don't believe you'll be able to buy a Krono unless your credit card has been on file and active for a set period of time.  Thus to cut down on stolen CC transactions.

You are also limited to how many Krono you can purchace in a set period of time.

In short, Krono is created to have more controls over the security and the hard value of subscription time.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #49
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

Q: Why would I buy a Krono?

A: ...Alternatively, if you're a player without much in-game currency and can't buy things on the broker because prices are too high, you can consider buying Krono and selling them to other players to build up your in-game currency...

Looks like full-blown SOE sanctioned pay-to-win is finally here.

Q. Is this a permanent part of the game?

A. Not yet.  Initially, we will release Krono as a trial program. We will watch to see how they are embraced and used. If the trial is successful, we will continue the program and roll them out to new games.

Of course it will be embraced and used and highly successful. Disgusting really.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #50
Piestro

Community Relations

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Maybe someone can forward this to Smed, or have him come here and answer it for us?

It's launching first in EQ2 (you buy an item from the website, and you can trade it IN game. Basically bypasses getting scammed with SC cards).

Once this launches for all games, will you offer a Upgraded version that gives SoE all access?

Thanks

It shouldn't need an upgraded version. 

[email protected]_old wrote:

Will we be able to buy these with SC, or is it going to be like buying subs where it will require a credit card?

It'll require a credit card. Disposable ones will still work nicely.

General_Info wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

Will we be able to buy these with SC, or is it going to be like buying subs where it will require a credit card?

another thing too will these be redeemable for not just time but for the SC value should people desire the sc over the time?

Not at this time, it has been mentioned (by me amongst others) that something like this might be desirable.

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

We have a lot of security stuff in place for that sort of thing. 

Thanks,

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote