EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #61
Dakora

Loremaster

I am loving this feature. it's great to see the emotion on my characters. I really like the mirror so that i can even see a close up of my character or others while running around. Thank you.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #62
DonnyOddlegs

Loremaster

My feedback: I have no interest in this feature and will not be using it. Please could we get a dungeon finder that actually works before any more "cool" stuff is introduced?

DonnyOddlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #63
Iad

Loremaster

Until it actually does something that causes NPCs to react to our movements, I don't see the point of it at all. I doubt many people are going to stand around making faces at each other.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #64
joemhunter

Loremaster

I not only find it useless but the short period (90 seconds) that I enabled it, it reminded me of the lag I used to see playing the original Everquest at 56k.

joemhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #65
Brekkik

Loremaster

I'd have feedback if I could actually use it. I just keep getting an error message saying my webcam is in use or not functioning, despite testing it with other programs to ensure it worked and closing anything that could possibly be using it.

Brekkik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #66
Retski

Loremaster

The problem I am experiencing is that I have multiple video input devices (ATI TV tuner and Webcam). SOEmote is only trying to use the ATI video input and I can't find a way to choose the webcam. Any suggestions?

Retski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #67
ttobey

Developer

Here are some thoughts about SOEmote coming from me after digesting all of your feedback.

As an animator, developing animations for new monsters, this is a very strong tool and well worth the time spent implementing. I have done many tests on NPCs and that is where I think the strength of this tool is. We no longer have to rely on scripted voice overs and can jump into a zone as an NPC and really shake things up. I SoeMoted Dozekar and then stomped through a zone shouting "I Am The Dragon TomTobey! Fear MY WRATH!!!" And I was able to stop, look at a player say "Prepare to be eaten" and start attacking. It gives Developers a way to very spontaneously interact with an environment. In my opinion it will make Norrath a more exciting and unpredictable place.

and I am not a PR person, just an animator that likes to shake things up.

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #68
theriatis

Loremaster

Hi Ttobey,

ok, thats a point. (who doesn't want to be a dragon ? SMILEY)

What's currently bothering me is the distorted faces on my characters.(Sidenote: i have SOGA only for specific models on)

My Human Paladin has wider Lips, bigger eyes and he doesn't look "young" anymore. More like a disgruntled old one who was some years to long in service (SOGA)

My Erudite Wizard has his Eyes wide open the whole time. That's not very scholar like. The smaller shoulders he has now do look more Scholar SMILEY (Non-SOGA)

My Dwarven Inqui: I had to reset the SOGA there because it was on  but aside from that, he was fine. (Non-SOGA)

My Ratongas looked fine (hey - we cans only look fines, regardless how we really looks !)

I haven't had the heart to look at a High-Elf, it would break my heart if she would not look like she was supposed to SMILEY

Regards, theriatis.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #69
Zorastiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

Fix bugs and giive us real content this is worthless.

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #70
Drupal

Elder

ttobey wrote:

Here are some thoughts about SOEmote coming from me after digesting all of your feedback.

As an animator, developing animations for new monsters, this is a very strong tool and well worth the time spent implementing. I have done many tests on NPCs and that is where I think the strength of this tool is. We no longer have to rely on scripted voice overs and can jump into a zone as an NPC and really shake things up. I SoeMoted Dozekar and then stomped through a zone shouting "I Am The Dragon TomTobey! Fear MY WRATH!!!" And I was able to stop, look at a player say "Prepare to be eaten" and start attacking. It gives Developers a way to very spontaneously interact with an environment. In my opinion it will make Norrath a more exciting and unpredictable place.

ttobey, adding new things to the game is always exciting. 

However, you forget what the core game is. Any feature you think is cool and worth doing means nothing if the core areas of the game are full of bugs and in some cases these bugs have been around for years.

We have given you feedback for years as well, pointed out what is broken and needs fixing and those threads get no attention whatsoever. This however gets significant resources and not only it doesn't address the bugs bt it creates even more. That been said, can you please, for once, take the feedback you receive and do something worthwhile for this game ?

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #71
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

This response troubles me, on multiple levels.

I used to be an administrator of a private World of Warcraft server. (Am I even allowed to say that here? Oh well.) I frequently would "possess" whatever raid mobs the players were going after at the time and speak through the NPC and the like. Of course, I also did those type of things where I didn't have a huge amount of tickets in queue to answer or didn't have a laundry list of bugs to fix. I did it on my own time (of course, admining a server was ALWAYS on my own time. I wasn't getting paid through subscription money and $C items off the backs of my players).

That is certainly not the case here. It is very disconcerting to hear that developers are too busy screwing around in game "interacting with the community" instead of working on the huge list of bugs and problems that have been reported over the years. That list wouldn't be so large if the issues were addressed as they were brought up.

Is this SoEmote going to go the way of Shader 3? Or EQ2Mobile? A project where you spent money and time tweaking to suit your needs and then abandoned? Let's face it, SoE doesn't have a great track record with seeing projects through to the end.

That all being said, I am still not pleased with how my characters look as a result of SoEmote. Are people like me, who never will use SoEmote and have it permanently disabled, EVER see our characters as they once were? You know, the way we the players created them?

I might also like to point out that the percentage of the community who will see this "Developers get to possess NPCs and interact with us!" is very, very small, and in the grand scheme of things, will affect very little of us for it to be labeled a "cool" factor for the community at large.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #72
katalmach

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

It is very disconcerting to hear that developers are too busy screwing around in game "interacting with the community" instead of working on the huge list of bugs and problems that have been reported over the years. That list wouldn't be so large if the issues were addressed as they were brought up.

I completely disagree. Devs having fun with the game is a great thing. Surely you want them to feel positive about their own product? Reducing their EQ2 experience to a mind-numbing grind of work and no fun might seem "efficient", but then where would they get their passion from? If the devs have no passion for their game, then that will rub off on their creativity and development work and eventually lead to a dull product that even the players won't care about.

I haven't been able to try out SOEmote myself (in the middle of an international move and my webcam is somewhere in one of about a billion moving crates.), but I think it's a fun and fairly innovative feature. Just because there are other issues with the game (which I am happy to complain about in their own threads), doesn't mean SOEmote is without merit.

katalmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #73
Michayla

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It is very disconcerting to hear that developers are too busy screwing around in game "interacting with the community" instead of working on the huge list of bugs and problems that have been reported over the years. That list wouldn't be so large if the issues were addressed as they were brought up.

I completely disagree. Devs having fun with the game is a great thing. Surely you want them to feel positive about their own product? Reducing their EQ2 experience to a mind-numbing grind of work and no fun might seem "efficient", but then where would they get their passion from? If the devs have no passion for their game, then that will rub off on their creativity and development work and eventually lead to a dull product that even the players won't care about.

I haven't been able to try out SOEmote myself (in the middle of an international move and my webcam is somewhere in one of about a billion moving crates.), but I think it's a fun and fairly innovative feature. Just because there are other issues with the game (which I am happy to complain about in their own threads), doesn't mean SOEmote is without merit.

If they aren't having fun doing the jobs they are paid to do, then perhaps the passion isn't there in the first place.

And there are plenty of issues with SoEmote by itself. This 6 page thread isn't of people singing its praises.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #74
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

I'm glad you're having fun with developing this game, Tom; it's nice to hear that at least some of you actually play.

But, honestly, I'd greatly prefer it if, in the process of having fun developing this game, you guys would worry more about fixing actual problems, than about giving us "cool" new features.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #75
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

Tobey, I see the value in your position, and I grant that it's excellent from an immersion POV for GM's to be able to do that. I don't think many people would say that's a bad thing.

The problems we're having, are that:

• For the most part, it was unwanted by the playerbase at large, in relation to more pressing issues or desired features.
  • It doesn't seem to have been tested thoroughly, leading to...
  • It broke current content/features

Surely you can see the value in the community's concerns. Some deeper testing, resulting in some better idea of the possible ramifications of a new feature, and perhaps some focus grouping with real live players, would go far to smoothe the way.

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #76
hansomepete

Loremaster

big bunch of fail from the start.

Was never interested in it in the first place. Had it turned on when I logged in, wanted to give it a shot regardless. My ping rate dropped to 6 so I shut it off and my ping rate shot back up to 63.

Been disabled ever since and will never re-enable either. Must be great for the RP server and the 7% of the pop that actually RP.  

The voice chat blows too, when ever we zone into the guild hall it throws you out of chat and you get thrown into local chat. I don't see where this is in anyway usefull or needed. EQ2 has really been on the decline in the last few years. Just lucky there is no one that has anything better at the time. I'm certianly not going to wow, rift would have been OK, but eh.

hansomepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #77
Michayla

Loremaster

hansomepete wrote:

Been disabled ever since and will never re-enable either. Must be great for the RP server and the 7% of the pop that actually RP.  

Not even us roleplayers are pleased with this.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #78
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Can anyone honestly say that this was a small undertaking. While some may consider it really nice, there are many who consider it fluff. I really hate to see SOE resources used to this end.

(borrowing from a previous post)

So, you say "those devs" don't work on things like that. Well, SOE has a budget of X dollars which equates to Y man hours. They need to balance the workforce with what is needed for the game and not balance what is developed for the game around "who is available to do something."

This is absolutely not a knock on the developers. Some are, particularly TTobey, good at their jobs, and good at communicating. This is a management issue. If you have more animation/quest/event developers than they have legitimate work to do then the MANAGEMENT answer is not to find something for them to do, particularly on a "fluff" feature, but to re-balance the development force around glaring issues that need to be fixed.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #79
Telden

Loremaster

hansomepete wrote:

I'm one of those 7%

Of all the other roleplayers I've spoken with about this, none have any intention of using this. None.  In fact, several feel insulted by the claim "SOE brings role-playing back to RPGs!".  Like it's not possible to RP without the ability to make our characters look like this -

I can see ttobey's point about it being useful as a Community GM tool, for animating NPCs on the fly. But as a player tool, it's a PR gimmick that will see very little use, and caused problems with other parts of the UI.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #80
Seidhkona

Loremaster

My take on SOEmote: it's ghastly, dumping me right into The Uncanny Valley.

"The Uncanny Valley" is Masahiro Mori's 1970 hypothesis that says that as a robot (or other humanoid, such as an in-game avatar) is made to appear more authentically human, a human observer has a more positive emotional response and emphasizes better with the humanoid. However, there is a point reached along the way where the human response quickly becomes strongly negative, the "uncanny valley".  People find humanoid objects in the uncanny valley to be creepy, unsettling, and they may not clearly know why. *If* design can increase the "humanness" of the representation high enough, it can climb out of The Uncanny Valley, but until you reach that point it's a turn off:

There are a couple of YouTube videos that demonstrate The Uncanny Valley very well:

Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #81
Telden

Loremaster

Personally, I don't think Jethal's singing with SOEmote comes even close to the Uncanny Valley. But it does fall deep into the Hilariously Bad Animation Valley

Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #82
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Of all the other roleplayers I've spoken with about this, none have any intention of using this. None.  In fact, several feel insulted by the claim "SOE brings role-playing back to RPGs!". 

I can see ttobey's point about it being useful as a Community GM tool, for animating NPCs on the fly. But as a player tool, it's a PR gimmick that will see very little use, and caused problems with other parts of the UI.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who was insulted by that claim about bringing roleplaying back -- & I'm not even really a roleplayer much, though I do it now & then & enjoy it when I can get into some good RP with fun people. But I certainly don't need (or even want) SOEmote for that purpose.

As for the other point: if SOEmote had been restricted to developers & GMs & whatnot animating monsters to bring a deeper, more immersive, more "real" feeling to interactions with them, I suspect it would have drawn a lot less negative response.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #83
ReddyKY

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

to re-balance the development force around glaring issues that need to be fixed.

If the CM guy from way back can make the transition to Dev, for at least one zone, I surely think that Ttobey, et al, will have the chops, so no one certainly needs to fall by the wayside in a re-balance.

ReddyKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #84
Juravael

Loremaster

Not something that I would ever use.
Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #85
Juggercap

Elder

ttobey wrote:

That's a tough sell.

I'm glad you had fun with it. How often are you going to do that? On how many servers? Are your coworkers actively planning on doing the same? It's no more exciting, but I can see the unpredictable part. (because nobody will ever expect it since it will happen so rarely...)

That said, what does that have to do with soemote? The exciting and unpredictable is that a person is behind the mob, not that there's some facial recognition if you're trying to see the grin on the face of the dragon you're running from.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #86
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Juggercap wrote:

That said, what does that have to do with soemote? The exciting and unpredictable is that a person is behind the mob, not that there's some facial recognition if you're trying to see the grin on the face of the dragon you're running from.

Very true. If I saw that dragon walking up to me I would not stick around to see if it was actually talking, I'd be booking it and not glancing behind once.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #87
Juggercap

Elder

Cyliena wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

Very true. If I saw that dragon walking up to me I would not stick around to see if it was actually talking, I'd be booking it and not glancing behind once.

Contradicting myself, and since death has no penalty now, I guess I could see myself running towards a dragon shouting "I Am The Dragon TomTobey! Fear MY WRATH!!!"...but that doesn't require facial recognition and I still don't really see the use of this 'feature' at all as far as the game goes.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #88
Michayla

Loremaster

Bleh never mind.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #89
iksee

Loremaster