EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Battlegrounds
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Lalen
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Divine Reapers
Rank: Elder Officer

Loremaster
Lalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 766
Default

I just thought I'd get it out there for a dev to see... Match making is stupid broken -- EPIC FAIL.

1) Matching based on pug to pug and pre-made to pre-made - FAIL

2) Matching based on nessary classes - IE NO ONE should be sucked into a match with out there first being a TANK queued AND a HEALER queued.  It is just stupid, dumb, etc to allow matches like this to occure - FAIL

Pugs have absolutely no chance in Gears from 2-9am EST... Every time you queue self up against a pre-made group.  Oh best yet, as if you already had a chance, you're stuck with no healer as well.  This system needs fixing as it puts anyone whom is playing odd times and using PVP as a time-killer utterly useless.

__________________
Quote: Patch Notes

All ground mounts have received a large boost in speed.


So they can now outrun FLYING mounts in the air?

EPIC FAIL

Lalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor
Rank: Master Blade

Loremaster
Elwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 659
Default

Gears match on the weekend... opposite team (not a pre-made) had two healers. Our group had 3 tanks and no healer.

Match making system? Does one actually exist?

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Lalen
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Divine Reapers
Rank: Elder Officer

Loremaster
Lalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 766
Default

@ 5:08PM EST a group of 3 tanks matched with a full group of healers + wiz + tank + dirge   Thats just rediculious.

__________________
Quote: Patch Notes

All ground mounts have received a large boost in speed.


So they can now outrun FLYING mounts in the air?

EPIC FAIL

Lalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor
Rank: Master Blade

Loremaster
Elwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 659
Default

[email protected] wrote:

@ 5:08PM EST a group of 3 tanks matched with a full group of healers + wiz + tank + dirge   Thats just rediculious.

Yup, gears last night. Our group had three tanks, no healer. Ha if you're playing in t4 was probaby the same group.

Other side had two healers and again not a pre-made.

It's ok if both teams have no healer, but seriously borked if it's 2-0.

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Talisx2

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12
Default

The problem stems from the ability to decline a match. People que and then decide not to go. When the bg says available and some people don't accept the matchmaker is now screwed. It has to fill the holes with other people that are available.

Since there is no option for first available for 2 of the 3 types of bg, only 1 or all 3, people tend to decline a fair amount because they do not want that particular type of bg.

 The only way to fix this would be to have a lobby or to hold players in limbo until a proper group filled, wether it took 2 mins or 30 mins. The devs want to do the lobby idea but have not had time/resources to get it done. The other oprion would [Removed for Content] off many, many players.

Silat

Talisx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor
Rank: Master Blade

Loremaster
Elwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 659
Default

If people are queueing for first available and declining maybe truancy could come into play.

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
AziBam

Loremaster
AziBam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 682
Default

Talisx2 wrote:

The problem stems from the ability to decline a match. People que and then decide not to go.

I'd phrase that a bit differently.  The problem stems from the inability to choose two out of the three options rather than all or one like we currently have.  I'm not one of those that hates gears.  However, there are many that do.  Truancy should certainly not be involved when the system is poorly implemented to start like this.  Truancy is worthless enough as it is.  I've never intentionally left a match (the intent of truancy).  I've rec'd truancy a number of times from having gone linkdead though.  That is just annoying as heck. 

It is tough to overcome 2 healers to 0 but it can be done.  The team with the heals just has such a huge advantage in the duration that they hold the relic whenever they get it.  I've been on teams that had 2-3 people that were quick on the draw (probably has to do with their connection speed/latency more than anything) and won with zero heals against a team with several healers.  That isn't terribly common though.

AziBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Britefire

Loremaster
Britefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Norrath
Posts: 277
Default

A few months ago I was in a Smugglers with over 12 scouts -.-

Britefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
Tenka
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 213
Default

match making system is pretty bad but all these threads complaining about it are worse
Tenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Seiffil
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Grievance
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Seiffil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 854
Default

[email protected] wrote:

If people are queueing for first available and declining maybe truancy could come into play.

No, truancy should not come into play.  There's a difference between bailing on a BG instance once it has started, and choosing not to the commit to the BG instance before it transfers you over.

They should create another option though as others have said to allow you to select the ones you want to queue for, instead of only allowing you to queue for one type or all.

Seiffil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor
Rank: Master Blade

Loremaster
Elwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 659
Default

[email protected] wrote:

match making system is pretty bad but all these threads complaining about it are worse

Before or after you post in them?

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Tenka
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 213
Default

good one
Tenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Crismorn

Loremaster
Crismorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,840
Default

SoE does not consider BG's worthy of resources, its ok though instead of clicking a post and moving for 10 seconds to be where you want to be you can now fly there in 5 seconds which is much more important then actual content

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

The match-making system works fine witihn the constraints.

1. The BG queueing system needs to allow people to opt-out, so the match-maker does not know who will be available in a group until that person actually logs into the server.

2. The match-maker needs to try and form a group as quickly as possible, else people will leave the queue. Besides, waiting too long simply ins't fun.

Assuming these constraints cannot be violated, how should the match-maker be improved? How often does it actually fail to build a viable gorup (not an optimal group, but merely one with a tank and healer)?

Perhaps the solution is to not use actual EQ2 classes in the BGs, but rather create BG-specific characters a player controls similar to how certain quests and encounters have you controlling puppet characters with their own abilities?

I'd make 6 classes: fighter, healer, caster-DPS, melee-DPS, caster-Utility and melee-Utility, and every group would get one of each. This way, all groups are equal, and the match-maker simply needs to bring in 6 people for each team. This solves the majority of the problems people seem to encounter.

__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

The only thing I'd like to see is auto-balance so when a match starts if one team has more tanks/healers than the other team, players are swapped. Would suck for premades that get split up but... QQ

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
thajo

General
thajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 668
Default

No it is not fail.  You don't need perfect conditions to win a match (or have fun).  Playing late at 4am I was matched against a team of 4, with a healer and tank and my team was 3 dps classes.  We won.  People always have some sort of excuse or expect something perfect, you don't need perfect conditions to win or have fun, maybe your expectations are too high.  Learn to be versatile.  If you don't have a healer maybe your tactic shouldn't be to stand in the middle of the arena and try to take a heavy toe to toe beating like you do have one.

The only bogus thing I have seen is somehow you can get very unbalanced teams number wise.  Ive seen a 4 v 1 actually go into action, and the people on the 4 were from different servers, so it was not a premade group entering.  

thajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Vaylan77

Loremaster
Vaylan77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 412
Default

The fun mainly comes from the setup. It it would always the perfect mix of tank, healer and dps it would be boring. I don't mind if one team has 2 tanks and the others don't.What's broken is the fact that teams often start uneven. When you are 3 vs 6 in gears you will most of the time lose anyway because you won't be able to keep up even if it will be 6 vs 6 3 minutes later.

Vaylan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor
Rank: Master Blade

Loremaster
Elwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 659
Default

[email protected] wrote:

The fun mainly comes from the setup. It it would always the perfect mix of tank, healer and dps it would be boring. I don't mind if one team has 2 tanks and the others don't.What's broken is the fact that teams often start uneven. When you are 3 vs 6 in gears you will most of the time lose anyway because you won't be able to keep up even if it will be 6 vs 6 3 minutes later.

Interesting Smugglers match the other night.

Two near full groups against 4 people. I fail to see how that is fair and that was from start to finish.

I was in the side with the two full groups so yay we won, but hell who wouldn't of. It felt wrong winning :/

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Valonia

Loremaster
Valonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 117
Default

Dasein wrote:

Perhaps the solution is to not use actual EQ2 classes in the BGs, but rather create BG-specific characters a player controls similar to how certain quests and encounters have you controlling puppet characters with their own abilities?

I'd make 6 classes: fighter, healer, caster-DPS, melee-DPS, caster-Utility and melee-Utility, and every group would get one of each. This way, all groups are equal, and the match-maker simply needs to bring in 6 people for each team. This solves the majority of the problems people seem to encounter.

@SoE: You might think this is a bad idea involving lots of coding.

...

It's not!

There's that burried piece of code that is linked to the forgotten area called 'Arena', where you had the option to engage in FPS style arenas utilizing either special avatars or your own characters at the players discretion. Revive that! Just this time give players incentives to actually use it (like pve gear, raws, house items .. something!), as there have (sadly) never been many people around to use the arena since it got implemented back in Desert of Flames .. which really is a shame! A proper match can be lots of fun, especially since you could just jump in and have fun instead of being plastered across the wall by raiders in their shinies!

Valonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Vaylan77

Loremaster
Vaylan77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 412
Default

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

A few months ago I was in a Smugglers with over 12 scouts -.-

see and u rememberred that. And that's what makes the game fun to be in different kinds of groups also.

Vaylan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
AziBam

Loremaster
AziBam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 682
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Dasein wrote:

Perhaps the solution is to not use actual EQ2 classes in the BGs, but rather create BG-specific characters a player controls similar to how certain quests and encounters have you controlling puppet characters with their own abilities?

I'd make 6 classes: fighter, healer, caster-DPS, melee-DPS, caster-Utility and melee-Utility, and every group would get one of each. This way, all groups are equal, and the match-maker simply needs to bring in 6 people for each team. This solves the majority of the problems people seem to encounter.

@SoE: You might think this is a bad idea involving lots of coding.

...

It's not!

There's that burried piece of code that is linked to the forgotten area called 'Arena', where you had the option to engage in FPS style arenas utilizing either special avatars or your own characters at the players discretion. Revive that! Just this time give players incentives to actually use it (like pve gear, raws, house items .. something!), as there have (sadly) never been many people around to use the arena since it got implemented back in Desert of Flames .. which really is a shame! A proper match can be lots of fun, especially since you could just jump in and have fun instead of being plastered across the wall by raiders in their shinies!

I honestly think this would kill the BGs faster than anything else would.  I wouldn't be playing this game if I wanted a monotone class selection and I don't think I'm alone in that.

AziBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
Jinoy
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Dominion of Unity
Rank: Garrison

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31
Default

I'm with Silbermond on this one. It's fun trying to beat the other team playing against the odds. So what if they have two healers? It won't be the first time we've beaten them with a set up like that. PUG vs PUG. It often just takes more determination instead of the "OH NOES, they have healers and we don't..CRY ..Let's just sit here and give up." Come on, some battles aren't fair and it is exactly those matches that are the most fun to win.
Jinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor
Rank: Master Blade

Loremaster
Elwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 659
Default

[email protected] wrote:

I'm with Silbermond on this one. It's fun trying to beat the other team playing against the odds. So what if they have two healers? It won't be the first time we've beaten them with a set up like that. PUG vs PUG. It often just takes more determination instead of the "OH NOES, they have healers and we don't..CRY ..Let's just sit here and give up." Come on, some battles aren't fair and it is exactly those matches that are the most fun to win.

Yeah hard not to agree. I'll never be a fan of the mis-matched numbers though.

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
Drumstix

Loremaster
Drumstix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 355
Default

Make a lobby window system. Tons of games have successful use of the lobby system to form up either pick-ups or pre-mades. Can still leave in the blind-joining way if really wanted...

__________________
___________________________


[DrumsUI] author @ EQ2Interface.com
Drumstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #25
Prestissimo
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: The Evolution
Rank: Noobsauce

Loremaster
Prestissimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 664
Default

We just won a match with undergeared players, 2 tanks, no utility, and no healer against a group with a warden, and lots of dps. They simply didn't want to bother chasing us down to kill us since we didn't have a healer we'd just die off from relic damage, but my pali heals allowed me to nickel and dime points up for our team, and when we started winning they got serious, but we scrapped a win with only a few points difference.

It can be done, it's just hard and requires the other team sucks much more than you do.

The part that sucks though is people in DoV raid gear rofl stomp the crap out of anything you can get BG or pvp wise from what I've seen.

Prestissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.