EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena > Berserker
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #1
mento

I want to know if any quest give a good dualwield Weapon Thx SMILEY

Message Edited by mentoss on 12-07-2004 04:41 AM

mento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
doo

I found a nice 13-26 1.7 dual wield pole with about 30+ str (can't remember the other stats).   The Priest drops them in the Stormhold.  Dual dam will be about 22.9 per second.  http://eq2.unicalc.com/cgi-bin/cgieq2.exe

Hope this helps.

Doobs - 22 Zerger
doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
asteldian

Loremaster

So is DW the style of choice? i always fancied a 2her, always prefered them, though i hear 2her and DW of equal quality are supposed to be equal damage, so i guess its all down to personal choice?
asteldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Diabol

asteldian wrote:
So is DW the style of choice? i always fancied a 2her, always prefered them, though i hear 2her and DW of equal quality are supposed to be equal damage, so i guess its all down to personal choice?

I'm only 20, so I don't know that I have a very accurate POV yet... but what ive seen so far I'm not sure that's the intention or not, though it would be nice.   I currently have 2 blue dual wielders that add up better than the 2h axe from the 20 quest.  So far I have yet to see a 2hander that was close to comperable dual wield weapons, comparing equal quality store bought and quest rewards even where the 2handers are higher level. The 20 Axe was the closest i've seen so far,
Diabol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Ri

Well I just got the SBH and also have 2 kregnoks axes and I prefer the SBH because with dual weild the mob seems to riposte more. Maybe it's just me.

Even so, at lvl 30 I'm doing some nasty damage with SBH and I've got another 6 levels to get out of it.
Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #6
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

asteldian wrote:

I am looking at it from the angle that if I am dual wielding the individiual hits might be much lower than the 2h hits, but if something gets blocked/etc it is likely that one or more of the rest of the hits that pass will get through, getting me a higher overall DPS than the 2h since only a percentage of the whole gets stopped.. not the whole..
Old 12-08-2004, 12:14 AM   #7
Oldlore

Loremaster

Well the whole block/parry thing as an advantage to DW doesn't make sense unless mobs have different chances to block/parry DW than 2h wpns.

For example:

2h swings 10 times for 100 dmg each
8 land, 2 are parried (20%)
800 dmg done

DW swings 20 times for 50 dmg each
16 land, 4 are parried (20%)
800 dmg done
Oldlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:27 AM   #8
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Oldlore wrote:
Well the whole block/parry thing as an advantage to DW doesn't make sense unless mobs have different chances to block/parry DW than 2h wpns.
For example:
2h swings 10 times for 100 dmg each
8 land, 2 are parried (20%)
800 dmg done
DW swings 20 times for 50 dmg each
16 land, 4 are parried (20%)
800 dmg done

Assume for the sake of simple math that the 2 hand does 10 damage and hits 1 time every round of combat and the dual wield does 5 damage and hits 2 times in a round of combat.Same overall damage...Now, figure 10 rounds of combat, with 10% chance to block, thats 9 2h that gets through and 18 dw that gets through.How often does a fight end exactly where you would have done the same damage? that gives the chance of getting off more dw hits than 2h since the 2h takes longer to fire off..No, it isnt a lot, but it is enough for me to look at seriously... put that into consideration with some specials from other classes that depend on the person they are casting on hitting... like blaze.. the more often you hit, the greater chance of getting extra damage off... and then to me the answer becomes dual wield..
Old 12-08-2004, 04:11 AM   #9
Tessi

I've heard it said on the Rogue boards that procs do not depend on when you hit, but instead have a chance to fire each round or a certain number of times per minute. Consensus there was that both 1h&shield and dual wield proc'd the same rates for poisons.

As for people not finding good 2 handers, they're out there. I've been using a greatsword since 16-17 and it's still better than the subclass greataxe at 20. I'll have to switch soon, but if I get lucky I can get my hands on another one to tide me over to the Shiny Brass Halberd.
Tessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #10
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Tessius wrote:
I've heard it said on the Rogue boards that procs do not depend on when you hit, but instead have a chance to fire each round or a certain number of times per minute. Consensus there was that both 1h&shield and dual wield proc'd the same rates for poisons.
As for people not finding good 2 handers, they're out there. I've been using a greatsword since 16-17 and it's still better than the subclass greataxe at 20. I'll have to switch soon, but if I get lucky I can get my hands on another one to tide me over to the Shiny Brass Halberd.

I am going by the description of spells where they specifically mention "successful attack" like this: "Augmentation placed on an ally that deals additional heat damage with a successful attack."given my 'druthers I would rather not take the risk...
Old 12-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #11
Erick_Stormfu

I recently gave up my duel wields for 2h'r.

I think duel wields are much more consistant based on misses. 

sometimes with my 2hr i'll be a bubble lower then i would with duel wields, and others i'll be a bubble more of health.

the influencing reason why i switched to 2h'r was the skill Fury.

with each successful mob hit against you, you have a chance to return attack. (free attack)

would your rather swing and hit for 15 points of damage, or would your rahter swing and hit for 65 points of damage.

-Erick
Erick_Stormfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #12
LordRayzor

Loremaster

Fury damage, like every other ability, is independant of weapon damage.  Wielding a 6-17 d/w weapon my Adept 1 Mangle hits for 100+ often.  It hits equally hard with a 2 hander.  The reckless attack from fury does 45 independantly, also.  Same is true for assault and crazed swing.

It all comes down to how much more damage "hits" do, whether aggro is generated by damage or number of hits, and by how much damage you take from the additional ripostes of dual wield.

-Rayz
LordRayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #13
jhessal69

Loremaster

mentoss wrote:
I want to know if any quest give a good dualwield Weapon

Thx SMILEY

Message Edited by mentoss on 12-07-2004 04:41 AM

Kouryick in East Freeport on the 2nd floor of the tavern looking out over the harbor has a problem. Some Nerius Pirates have stolen his cargo. He will reward you if you head to Nektulos and recover it for him.

Kill the Nerius Pirate Captain in Nektulos (on the beach) and then return to Kouryick for your choice of rewards, one of them is a nice dual wield whip.
jhessal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #14
Nuvi

u do same dmg with fury if u use a 2hander or DW,i my self went from 2 ebon quarterstaffs to SBH,will prolly stick 2 it for a while since im usually MA when i play.
Nuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 PM   #15
Skyride

Loremaster

Ariven wrote:

Assume for the sake of simple math that the 2 hand does 10 damage and hits 1 time every round of combat and the dual wield does 5 damage and hits 2 times in a round of combat.

Same overall damage...

Now, figure 10 rounds of combat, with 10% chance to block, thats 9 2h that gets through and 18 dw that gets through.

How often does a fight end exactly where you would have done the same damage? that gives the chance of getting off more dw hits than 2h since the 2h takes longer to fire off..

No, it isnt a lot, but it is enough for me to look at seriously... put that into consideration with some specials from other classes that depend on the person they are casting on hitting... like blaze.. the more often you hit, the greater chance of getting extra damage off... and then to me the answer becomes dual wield..

Anyone who has studied statistics/probability will tell you that this logic is completely wrong.  You have to consider damage done in the long term and not just one short fight.  From your example, both styles will give the exact same DPS in the long run.  Now there might be other reasons to choose one style over another because of outside factors but not purely based on chance to hit.
Skyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #16
Karma1

asteldian wrote:

eh??? style is each individuals choice, why be such a follower, find your own style.
Karma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:11 PM   #17
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Skyride wrote:

Ariven wrote:

Assume for the sake of simple math that the 2 hand does 10 damage and hits 1 time every round of combat and the dual wield does 5 damage and hits 2 times in a round of combat.

Same overall damage...

Now, figure 10 rounds of combat, with 10% chance to block, thats 9 2h that gets through and 18 dw that gets through.

How often does a fight end exactly where you would have done the same damage? that gives the chance of getting off more dw hits than 2h since the 2h takes longer to fire off..

No, it isnt a lot, but it is enough for me to look at seriously... put that into consideration with some specials from other classes that depend on the person they are casting on hitting... like blaze.. the more often you hit, the greater chance of getting extra damage off... and then to me the answer becomes dual wield..

Anyone who has studied statistics/probability will tell you that this logic is completely wrong. You have to consider damage done in the long term and not just one short fight. From your example, both styles will give the exact same DPS in the long run. Now there might be other reasons to choose one style over another because of outside factors but not purely based on chance to hit.

Overall from the fights where I have been fighting similar level creatures the DW is killing stuff a tad faster for me... my line of reasoning is what I came up with to explain the difference... I didn't go the other direction... I tried again last night, loading up my DW on one creature in my quest, and swapped to the 2h axe I have for the second.. I ended up with less health and took longer to kill via 2h... both sets of weapons are yellow to me and -seem- to work out to be about the same DPS by calcumatating the average damage on the weapons and based on delay of the weapons... but then I never claimed to be a statistician (what was that phrase? liars, **mods 4 teh win!!1!** liars and statisticians?) ... nor scientific about this stuff.. I am going by what seems to work best for me...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 PM   #18
Flag

I tend to use two handers when I am not main tank because it seems I generate less agro with bloodlust up. I don't have hard data but it seems when I am dual wielding and bezerk is procing like made I get agro almost right away but when I use a 2hander I tend not to get agro till 1/2 way into the fight.
Zerker Profile
Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:49 AM   #19
Tessi

Ariven wrote:

I am going by the description of spells where they specifically mention "successful attack" like this: "Augmentation placed on an ally that deals additional heat damage with a successful attack."

given my 'druthers I would rather not take the risk...

Even with that on, you don't apply fire damage with every attack. Have had the sorcerer damage add cast on me when playing both my Brigand (dual wield) and Berserker (two hander), and neither adds damage with every swing, but just occassinally like any other proc.
Tessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #20
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Tessius wrote:

Ariven wrote:

I am going by the description of spells where they specifically mention "successful attack" like this: "Augmentation placed on an ally that deals additional heat damage with a successful attack."

given my 'druthers I would rather not take the risk...

Even with that on, you don't apply fire damage with every attack. Have had the sorcerer damage add cast on me when playing both my Brigand (dual wield) and Berserker (two hander), and neither adds damage with every swing, but just occassinally like any other proc.

I know.. it is just a chance to do it.. and just an example SMILEYCourse playing with a mage in group is a luxury for me, so I dont get exposed to it often.. SMILEY