EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Necromancer
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #61
Jal

General

Im a little confused as to what to choose now for my AA's i was doing the str line with 4 points into spell crits and after checking my combat log after nearly every fight i barely had any crits at all. This made me wonder if blindly putting 4 more points into it would actually improve much at all so i used my free respec to switch out to Wis line 4-4-8 for the defensive bonus and resists bonus as i solo a fair bit but its still quite difficult to tell how much of a difference it is making.I've looked at the tank pet line and it doesnt seem too useful, the scout pet line id only want for the melee crits and the str line id only really want for the spell crits again. I barely use my mage pet so dont plan on taking that.Im not into parsing numbers i like something with an effect i can plainly see, now these achievements are essentially free so i cant complain about having them but for a solo quester/occaisional guild raider which lines would people recommend?
Jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #62
Scyros

Loremaster

The problem with crit are they get calculated in a way that makes them virually useless.  When you cast a spell, the game calculates what you hit for based on the spell grade+int bonus+/-mobs resist.  Now after it's calculated a normal hit it checks for a crit.  "If" you get a crit it then adds 30% to the dmg of your normal spell.  So you could crit for less than you spells max dmg.  Since your base crit chance is around 2% increasing that by even 100% is still only 4%.  You looking at a minimal dmg increase even over long fights.  I'd say get a grizzfazzle/pris2 staff and a mystical earing and your dmg will go up more than wih max crit AA. 

And yes over all our AA's blow pretty bad.  Hell most AA's are lame.  It's a shame too because SoE missed the boat yet again on making this game really fun & interesting. 
Old 04-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #63
daboa

Lord

i went 8 into int 1 into the caster dehate(i use caster pet mostly in groups, when i do group) he gets lots of agro and this dehate at 1point into it works very nice plus its insta cast.  Rest of the int line don look to apealing as i hate raiding and not to usefull for grouping. I out damage most wizzies and scouts as it is. no need to do more damage.
4into wis 4into that heal in wis line and 8into minions barrier, and 4into the next spell down, then goign for the last on in wis line.  But i have to say that minions barrier is extremly nice i notice it so much.  Help the pet out alot and sometime i am taking on green ^^^ nameds and do not even have to heal the pet(not that we can heal that well)
daboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #64
dagoo7

Loremaster

Scyros wrote:
The problem with crit are they get calculated in a way that makes them virually useless.  When you cast a spell, the game calculates what you hit for based on the spell grade+int bonus+/-mobs resist.  Now after it's calculated a normal hit it checks for a crit.  "If" you get a crit it then adds 30% to the dmg of your normal spell.  So you could crit for less than you spells max dmg.  Since your base crit chance is around 2% increasing that by even 100% is still only 4%.  You looking at a minimal dmg increase even over long fights.  I'd say get a grizzfazzle/pris2 staff and a mystical earing and your dmg will go up more than wih max crit AA. 

And yes over all our AA's blow pretty bad.  Hell most AA's are lame.  It's a shame too because SoE missed the boat yet again on making this game really fun & interesting. 

The % increase to crit rate is actually on top of the base crate (not a multiplier of it).  In other words, if you got a 2.8% increase per rank (can't remember exactly what it is for summoner AAs) your chance of getting a crit with 8 pts in the ability would be base crit rate (let's say 2%) + 22.4% for a total crit rate of 24.4%  To get the net effect on spell dps you need to multiply that by the 30% increase to dmg from crits.  So in other words (based on these hypothetical numbers) around a 7% increase to net spell dps.

This is definitely the way it works as SKs were getting 12.5% per rank on their spell crit and this resulted in 100% crit rate on spells.  However, this is being lowered in next LU.

Message Edited by dagoo7 on 04-04-200601:34 PM

dagoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #65
Thakar

Loremaster

How exactly does the spell crit AA work?  Hypothetically, if I had 10% chance to crit and got 10% from spell crit AA, would I have a total of 11% chance to crit or 20% chance with spells?
Thakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #66
dagoo7

Loremaster

As, I tried to show above ... 

in the instance your reference it would be 20%.  However, I believe the base crit rate is much lower than 10%. 

Message Edited by dagoo7 on 04-04-200603:14 PM

dagoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #67
Deila

Tester

Moorgard wrote:

Base chance of a critical hit is 1%. This can be modified by Achievements and in certain other cases. However, there is no stat or skill that makes you more likely to critical hit, nor is one class more likely to crit than another.

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=combat&message.id=97641#M97641

The increase chances to spell crits adds to that 1% base. Ours caps at (I believe, not in-game right now) 11.7% increased crit chance at rank 8, for a total of 12.7% chance.

I'm still not sure where my achievements will end up. I've taken the STR line 4-4-4-8 to max spell crits, and have noticed a significant increase in criticals. Enough so that sometimes I wish my lifetaps wouldn't crit so much while soloing - y'know, those times where the tank pet elects to not use his taunt attacks very much, if at all. SMILEY I'm currently working up the WIS line now as well, to see the general pet improvements. Not sure where everything will end up though - if I'm happy with this progression, I'll leave it, otherwise, that's what the cheap initial respecs are for, to try out different combinations and see what you like.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:20 AM   #68
Errie_Tholluxe

Loremaster

I maxed out the wisdom line and just wasnt impressed. The increases to defense and output where easily visible when you possessed minion, but the actual EFFECT ya saw was rather ..lame. Pet got eaten up just as quick, mitigation being gone, avoidance dont seem to do squat. The dps output of my scout never moved a bit, regardless of focus and such.I revamped, and am gonna go scout 4,4,8 tank line 4,4,4, and caster line 4,4,4,8. Still a bit shy on the caster line, but already have the first two done, and the scout pet puts out a ton more dps. Looking at the lines, the third one on every pet line gives a buff that ALL pets can use, body guard, avoidance, and magic absorbtion. Am hoping 4 points in these will help me on raids a bit, and am testing the avoidance and bodyguard now. Have actually logged several times the avoidance going off (didnt help, but at least it worked! ) and bodyguard seems to go off far more often than the % would indicate.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #69
Equimbria

Loremaster

How is the final AA of the agi line in pvp?  It would seem that the ability to teleport your pet to your target could be useful in pking but i don't know I don't have that many AA yet
Nagafen Server
Equimbria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #70
johnathanb

I am going full Wis and Agi line.  The reason that i am going into the 2 path is because i want to max my scout pet damage and also concentrate on raising the defense of my tank pet.

-Minion Uproar - At 8/8 AA, my pet is almost hitting like it was a level 75/76 monster
-Minion Barrier- At 8/8 AA, My tank pet hp, mitigation, and defense is almost at the level of a 75+ monster
-Animist's Transference -at 6/8- I am almost healing myself free of charge for 1000+ health, this is a life saver when i am soloing.
-Animist's Wisdom-4/8 - Even at 4/8, this is still adding to my total resist pool
-Distracting Strike -4/8- Even at this level and its only 1 hit.  At 28 second delay for a -900 hate reduction, this will save your life on long name fight.
-Minion's Zeal -8/8 - Even though the number from this AA skill might look small, add it to the rending buff line will equal even more damage from your pet.

Theurgist's AA line- I think this line is a waste. 
-Animated Dagger -You need a dagger to used this, and the pet that is summon is an underpower dumbfire pet.
-Parrying - This skill will not save your life except if you are fighting undercon or grey mob....
-Wild Channeling -The critical from this skill does not add up enough to be a difference in a long fight.
-Implode-at 1600 damage, its useless.  And losing your pet +rebuffing, its a major issue on raid.  But then again, it can always be used as a emergency.

Magician's AA line-I think that this line is pretty nice, but i don't have much used for my pet except on major AE battle
-Magic Leash- This is a usefull skill if you bring it up to 5+
- Minion's Warding-Mage don't have enough health to make this a useful skill
-Arcane Minion -This is a pretty nice skill

Perceptor's -This line does not have enough useful skill.

Message Edited by johnathanbtn on 04-08-200608:53 AM

johnathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #71
Thakar

Loremaster

johnathanbtn wrote:
Theurgist's AA line- I think this line is a waste. 
-Animated Dagger -You need a dagger to used this, and the pet that is summon is an underpower dumbfire pet.
-Parrying - This skill will not save your life except if you are fighting undercon or grey mob....
-Wild Channeling -The critical from this skill does not add up enough to be a difference in a long fight.
-Implode-at 1600 damage, its useless.  And losing your pet +rebuffing, its a major issue on raid.  But then again, it can always be used as a emergency.

For Implode, you can save your pet buffs by also having a fluff pet around, such as the mushroom from Splitpaw, gazer from KoS, or aviak from KoS.  However, still not all that helpful.  And I think I read somewhere that your fluff pets explode too.  If so, then I you can't save buffs on them, but they will do an extra 1600-2000 damage.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #72
Nyri

Just curious, does implode blow up charmed pets too?
Nyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:13 AM   #73
Thakar

Loremaster

Nyrill wrote:
Just curious, does implode blow up charmed pets too?

Heh, I seriously doubt it
Old 04-10-2006, 04:23 AM   #74
TrigunVash

Loremaster

The best way is to mix it up4 in wisdom line, to get some resists and 4 points in the healAnopther 4 points in the INT like for power/damageFor the rest of the points, being that im on a pvp server i am going all out AGI line, getting pet teleportationWith my leftover points, i may get more int or a better heal, not shure ATM
TrigunVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #75
Qwe

Loremaster

Oh by far the best AA is Possess Minion! I mean come on you all! Really, how cool is it to be able to possess your scout pet and disarm that metal chest on your own without having to have a scout around.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #76
Articulas

Zombie Aardvark

i think posses minion would be a better spell if it lasted far longer than it did.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #77
armus5

General

had no idea this was possible. I have just finished out the str line and found implode to be pretty remarkable. I recommend evryone try it
armus5 is offline   Reply With Quote