EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Testers Only
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Kwoung

Tester

I need a option that allows me to ignore tells from players under level X. I would probably set it at 50 or 60 personally, but level 10 would be enough to block the plat sellers. Since they have to use disposable accounts, leveling their bots up would really cut into their profits.
Kwoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Kwoung

Tester

Someone in Test channel mentioned SOE already ixnayed this idea because it would negatively affect the community. Well if that is in fact true, how does a large percentage of the players on Test already turning off private tells affect the community?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Kwoung

Tester

Also, I just scrolled back.. it seems like I missed about 4 tells from friends (who are now offline) because the plat spam tells. SMILEY

Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
edbaja

Tester

I just started a new channel that I talk in while private chat is off.
edbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Terrifier

Tester

What needs to happen is a cool down of 6 hours to make a new character. That would prevent them from making new toons and spamming. Then if you get a spam you /ignore them and problem solved. Making 1 character every 6 hours is not unreasonable to stop a problem that wont go away.
Terrifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
edbaja

Tester

Terrifier wrote:
What needs to happen is a cool down of 6 hours to make a new character. That would prevent them from making new toons and spamming. Then if you get a spam you /ignore them and problem solved. Making 1 character every 6 hours is not unreasonable to stop a problem that wont go away.
The only issue with that is when you screw up on character creation and choose the wrong server, or mess up naming it, etc. Limit of one character per server per six hours and I believe we'd have somewhat of a solution.
edbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Lunani

Tester

I don't like the idea of blocking all tells from players under lvl x. In the long run they will find ways to annoy you again. there's no way to stop them completely, the only thing that can be done is slowing them down. As a former IRC Op I had to deal with spammers daily. this is what I would do to give them a real hard time: 1. a few seconds reuse time on /tells. 2. only x tells within y seconds allowed. 3. you're only allowed to repeat the same message 3 times in a row. 4. not allowed to use blacklisted words like gmworker in all possible variations. 5. like already said: reuse time on creating new chars. if any of those rules are broken the account is temporarily banned and gets reported for further investigation. of course don't announce any of those rules, make plat spammers wonder what went wrong =) needs a bit of tweaking and might get some false positive results every now and then but most of the time only spammers will get caught.

Faydluna Snowfyre, 80 Fury, Test
Lunani Snowfyre, 70 Monk, Test
Senior Member of Vengeance
Lunani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #8
Kwoung

Tester

Lunani wrote:
I don't like the idea of blocking all tells from players under lvl x. In the long run they will find ways to annoy you again.

Not really, it will be very not worth their time to level characters to 10 or 20 just to get a few tells off before having the account/character banned. They will then have to find other out of game methods of marketing, which I do not care about. I do think the time limit between tells is a good idea though, they were mass spamming the whole server in a matter of seconds it seemed, set a limit of even 1 tell per 3-5 seconds and their ability to market in game effectively before getting caught would be severely limited.