EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Terrors of Thalumbra Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Chaaskul

all I am getting is music and a black screen.

copied character fine, install says all fine, but just black screen
Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
Anarawyn

Turning off full screen mode worked for me but none of my copies characters are there and it keeps telling me there are no servers available even though beta server is showing and up with light population.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Danafoad

I had the same problem. To fix it, you need to paste all DirectX's .dll from your EQ2 folder to the BetaServer one. Their name always start by "d3d", so copy and paste all "d3d-----.dll" files.

Thanks to my GL, who helps me to fix it in my case.
Regards from France Wink
Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
Spunkel

That trick with those DirectX.dll doesn't make any difference if you use Vista. In this case actually nothing helps, but waiting for any DEV to give us a "Oi, gotcha. Fix inc shortly."

So far, they successfully ignored everything about this topic.

Delete the alertlog.txt within your BetaServer directory, restart the launcher on Beta Settings, wait for the crash and check that new alertlog. There should be two entries about missing services.vdl and soemote.vdl. If there is anything else, it's not related to the vista bug.
Spunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Chaaskul

not working on Win10 either
Old 10-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
GrunEQ

Black screen with music and sound of the Intro. Notice on task manager when I tried to close the program, that EQ2 was running 32bit version and I have 64bit.

I'm noob when it comes to tech stuff.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Zylara

When logging into beta I get worse than a black screen, I actually have my display driver crashing and its all up to date, so I end up having to restart my computer altogether and yet logging into my normal server works fine so its just Beta that's causing it!
Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Fredero

I too have encountered this problem. For me, It's the intro movie causing issues (and interestingly its the SoE logo one).

A suggestion from another post: In the eq2.ini file add cl_movie_enabled 0

I'll also try the .dll suggestion above.

Strangely, even when I cancel EQ2 from the Task Manger, the EQ2 screen is still frozen and never goes. I have to do a full reboot.

I'm also a Win10 user.
As for copied over files, I only copied over the music files and voice packs and have done a full verification of files.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Chaaskul

got it working on windows 7
Old 10-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Karsa

Still lost at sea with vista Os--- validated files, press play, 15-30 secs into the black , gaMe crashes into superNova white... eq2 client has stopped working for Beta version

Live works just fine...
Karsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
GrunEQ

Forgot to say I'm using Win 8.1
Old 10-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Gudum

Definitely nothing wrong with the files - I copied the entire BetaServer directory from a vista machine to a windows 7 machine - runs on windows 7, crashes on start-up on vista. Just going to have to wait for a fix from Daybreak.
Gudum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
dngrmse

Try starting a different game instead....anything graphic, (I use Landmark), Once your graphics card, and drivers been properly initialized by this other game, start EQ2.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Gudum

Its the Vista OS that is causing his problem - server side issue with the beta build. I'm having the same problem, and switching back to the regular US English server runs fine, so I would think the video drivers would be initialized properly.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
Sigrdrifa

I got this last night. I was just about to reboot my computer, when suddenly the music started up. There was just an insane long load-in time. I noticed that I had the EQ2 gold cursor on the black screen, so if that's the case, just wait a little longer.

But if that keeps happening, it would be good to investigate why loading is so slow.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
dngrmse

It happens with Win 10 also.

It started for me back when I was still using Vista. I did a complete reinstall of my system, and following that, these problems with EQ2 started.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #17
Gudum

Seems most of the people with something other than Vista are hearing music, then crashing on the intro video. Vista never gets that far - no music, disabling video doesn't help, just a few seconds of black screen and curser, then white screen with a windows pop-up box saying game has crashed. Don't have to reboot computer, can go right back to launcher and try again with same results, or switch to live server and it runs fine.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #18
GrunEQ

So....if I wait long enough with black screen & music, it will eventually come up?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
Chaaskul

depends on how many days you want to wait
Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Sigrdrifa

That was my personal experience. If 5 minutes have passed on the clock and it's still black, then it probably isn't coming back.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:54 AM   #21
GrunEQ

Ok, I'll try it, thanks.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:43 AM   #22
GrunEQ

Waited 15 minutes...didn't work Frown
Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #23
GrunEQ

Well hell's bells I've tried the d3d thing and waiting; saw no ini...so I've done what I know to get Beta to work. I sure would like to participate and earn some mounts. Since the regular server works just fine, I have to conclude the problem is on DBG's side, and since there has been no comment from the devs I guess I and others with the same problem won't be able to participate at all.

I am disappointed. Oops
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #24
Chaaskul

well, I have downgrade my graphic drivers and nope, still not working.

Guessing game will be live before I get into Beta as my laptop only gives me around 3-8 fps, so no good trying to use that running win 7
Old 10-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #25
Cuelaen

Same problem here, using windows 10
Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #26
Chaaskul

finally got it working for me - long winded way, but worked

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...lly-got-beta-to-run-heres-the-steppes.564891/
Old 10-29-2015, 01:23 AM   #27
Enica

I'm having the same issue you all are having on Win 10. Black screen, can hear the intro video but not see it, then just a continued black screen with no cursor. Can't kill the app from the task bar or using task manager, have to do a hard reset of the computer.

I was also looking forward to the beta and a new mount. Hopefully this will be sorted out before it goes live.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #28
Enica

Anyone figured out a fix for this?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #29
Amaitae

okay least to most effort:
1. in betaserver directory: delete the .ini files, run patcher for beta server. does it still happen then ?
2. run full scan, then try again
3. gather system info using dxdiag in order to provide configuration data that will help to reproduce this problem. If all who are affected post and send the info to the support it could elicit commonalities between the systems affected.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #30
Enica

I just tried it again and went to windowed mode and got through the opening video and to character select. And my copied toon is even there. It's something about the full screen.