EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis

Loremaster

For priests and probably melee spec enchanter ranged items with damage are a curse.

Whenever i cast a heal or a spell my melee auto attack is turned off. I just want to be allowed to disable it completely. My best ranged items are items with damage on them. I indeed prefer to use lower quality one so that it does not mess up my melee auto attack.

If the ranged auto attack was doing meaningfull damage it wom't be an issue, by according to what i see it does very small damage if compared to melee auto attack.

I tried to enforce melee by getting close and it does not work, melee CA may work but since I m healing so often or curing it trigger ranged auto attack almost all the time.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Yimway

Loremaster

Good luck on this one.

Spell Auto attack wasn't well thought out when it was added.  Is should have gone in as /auto 4 with its own neat little spell book icon like the other /auto options.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe

Loremaster

are you speaking from your Wardens or you Furies perspective? I don't see a problem as a fury, for my warden who's melee specced... i don't have a problem either since i have no spells on my hotbar.

EDIT: For all other classes... they complained to the high heavens about this issue... guess what... they got the following basic response: It's working as intended.

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
agentsix

Loremaster

I think you can get around this if you put a book or something other than a Ranged/Focus wand in the ranged slot. If you don't have a wand (or maybe even an orb) in that slot the auto ranged doesn't work.

agentsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Neiloch

Loremaster

Auto attack in general needs a serious overhaul. From how to activate it to the DPS numbers they put out. Honestly I would opt for complete removal of auto attack in favor of every getting 1-2 'attacks' that had very little cast time, little reuse time and no power cost. That would be a huge undertaking though when it comes to balance and numbers

I would love if the auto attacks had enable/disable options, a way to set priority, and that auto attacks would automatically switch based on priority and if they are usable based on range.

So if I was in melee range but too close for ranged AA it would switch to melee, but then if I moved where I could use either, it would automatically switch to ranged. Other classes could swap this: automatically switch to ranged it out of melee, always melee if possible. Also ranged auto attack could be disabled outright to solve problems like in the OP. Being able to disable one or both auto attacks could allow players to better manage their aggro in rare situations.

The foundations of auto attack in EQ2 are so archaic yet they keep piling on auto attack stats and more recently new caster items for ranged auto attack. Not too mention they are one of the last MMO's that bothers with 'ammo' for bows.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
flay_wind

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

are you speaking from your Wardens or you Furies perspective? I don't see a problem as a fury, for my warden who's melee specced... i don't have a problem either since i have no spells on my hotbar.

Wrath and Wrath of Nature are spells. Whie Wrath does minimal damage Wrath of Nature hits quite hard and it's ~10% of my dps. Plus i usually cast Frostbite since it has better mit reduction than slice version of the spell. So that's at least 3 spells.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Felshades

Loremaster

One of the things that would solve a lot of MY personal headaches with it, would be if spell auto would trigger things like combatitive healing and tribal rage.

My illy, on the other hand, has an entire AA tree for improving my melee auto attack. I want the same stats that the wand thigies have on a non ranged symbol. All the non spell auto items that can go in my ranged slot right now have WORSE stats on them in all ways. even the one out of tofsx2 is better than EMx4. That should not be. Ever.

Oh, I'd like my melee weapons to show when I'm shooting a wand on those toons that do use it. I seem to remember my ranger's swords staying on his hips while I'm shooting a bow, so why in Hate do I have to hide my sword/buckler appearance set when I swing this little dragon on a stick?

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
Mohee

Lord

YES! Please give us the ability to have it NEVER turn on. My conj has a really nice ranged item that is a wand with this auto attack from a DoV X4 raid (Wand of the Kromzek Warmonger). So simply replacing it with a secondary/ranged item that doesn't attack isn't really an option. Unless I want to downgrade... which who wants to do that?

Just give us the option to turn this off permanently. It's annoying and does very little DPS anyways. And I'm not going to spend tons of plat and good stats just to reforge items to increase Spell Auto attack stuff.

I mean really... I'm fully EMx4 geared (including the jewelry) and my only stats on armor going towards spell ranged stuff is a cloak from the rare mob in Pools giving a whopping 8.5 dps to spell weapons. WOoOooO!

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

EDIT: For all other classes... they complained to the high heavens about this issue... guess what... they got the following basic response: It's working as intended.

If you don't use spells as a Warden, you don't play a Warden well. This needs to be fixed.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Felshades

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

YES! Please give us the ability to have it NEVER turn on. My conj has a really nice ranged item that is a wand with this auto attack from a DoV X4 raid (Wand of the Kromzek Warmonger). So simply replacing it with a secondary/ranged item that doesn't attack isn't really an option. Unless I want to downgrade... which who wants to do that?

Just give us the option to turn this off permanently. It's annoying and does very little DPS anyways. And I'm not going to spend tons of plat and good stats just to reforge items to increase Spell Auto attack stuff.

I mean really... I'm fully EMx4 geared (including the jewelry) and my only stats on armor going towards spell ranged stuff is a cloak from the rare mob in Pools giving a whopping 8.5 dps to spell weapons. WOoOooO!

I think new gear is going to be itemized for it, and the stat points towards critical mitigation now will probably be what goes to it.

That said, until we have enough stats for it to make up the difference, and non ranged items with similar stats for the melee guys, or those melee procs from AAs work on it, we're forced to downgrade essentially. I have yet to pick up a single focus item. They're going to alts, they're being crushed. The stats are great... except for that ranged damage bit.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Mohee

Lord

I'm pretty sure stats are going to be the same, just no CM on gear.

Spell Auto attack is a complete failure. Hardly anything in the game even has stats to enhance it. And even so, its just annoying. It turns on all the time when I'm not fighting something and puts me into fighting stance. For example, Transference (Pets HP to Player) and Essense Shift (Pets HP for Power to me) turns it on.

Just dump it already SOE. Just like your dumping CM. It's a mechanic that is clearly poorly implemented. Scrap it, no one uses it, no one likes it. Don't try to fix it (because we all know how those things go)

EQ'ing since 1999
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Banditman

Loremaster

It is badly implimented, however, it has most assuredly helped with the relative imbalance in proc chances.

The problem is that they tried to make it a separate deal.  Had they allowed the existing Haste, DPS, Multi Attack, etc stats to affect it, you probably wouldn't be seeing these issues.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If you don't use spells as a Warden, you don't play a Warden well. This needs to be fixed.

I prefer my fury, my warden probably has 2 years worth of dust gathered on it.

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Gwyrdd
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Rift Penumbra

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Onorem wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

My Fury happens to shine in melee, too. I am now learning to macro melee autoattack into my spells, and have added ranged attack to the hotbar as its own item for those occasions where I actually need to stand back and something's better than nothing. Like many here, I wouldn't even use a wand if it weren't a massive downgrade to go back to my (Velious Mastercrafted from heroic drop) totem from my (solo Freeport quest) wand.

~~~Primary Gwyrdd Gwgoedwig~~~

Diplomatic liaison of the Gorowyn Council to the court of Neriak.

Gwyrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Leawyn

Loremaster

Banditman wrote:

It is badly implimented, however, it has most assuredly helped with the relative imbalance in proc chances.

The problem is that they tried to make it a separate deal.  Had they allowed the existing Haste, DPS, Multi Attack, etc stats to affect it, you probably wouldn't be seeing these issues.

This! The classes this was intended for (Caster priests and especially mages) already have miniscule amounts of these stats, there is no reason to make new, horribly weighted, stats that just add confusion. Balance the mage ranged damage based on the already existing stats (and their weights in making gear) and save the headache.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
Odys

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Onorem wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

My Fury happens to shine in melee, too. I am now learning to macro melee autoattack into my spells, and have added ranged attack to the hotbar as its own item for those occasions where I actually need to stand back and something's better than nothing. Like many here, I wouldn't even use a wand if it weren't a massive downgrade to go back to my (Velious Mastercrafted from heroic drop) totem from my (solo Freeport quest) wand.

As long as my fury was not raiding my profile was ignoring turtle shell i had all the melee AAs, and with primal fury my auto attack was not ridiculous.

Ranged auto attack can fire even if i cast spirit of the wolf or my HP buff and indeed it fires on anything (it may fire on calling an apperance pet).

I m quite certain that some raids already wiped because one mage/priest buffed someone while targetting a mob.

Creating  some macro for each buf/heal and spell mages or priest do have is certainly not a good solution.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #17
Neiloch

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Creating  some macro for each buf/heal and spell mages or priest do have is certainly not a good solution.

That's the solution rangers have had to deal with since, well, forever. Macroing melee CA's to turn on ranged auto instead of melee. It just became more and more problematic as we continued to get buffs/abilities that favored ranged auto attack.

I was honestly hoping casters getting a ranged auto attack would force them to move faster on these auto attack problems since they were no longer restricted to one class.

I'm afraid since there is ANY solution, no matter how clumsy, these problems take a low priority.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
Remeo
Server: Befallen
Guild: Crimson Rage

Loremaster

Wonder if they could put something in along the lines of what they did with Singular Focus.

When activated, disables spell auto, ranged auto, or melee auto.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Neiloch

Loremaster

It would be nice, but I can only assume they have some sort of fundamental aversion to players being able to control their auto attacks in such a way. Mainly because it seems like it would be a very simple fix. It would be nice if they would at least explain why players aren't getting a feature they are asking for and no one has opposed.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Remeo
Server: Befallen
Guild: Crimson Rage

Loremaster

My bad, I really should have clarified something before submitting my post.

The disabling of said auto attack type would have to prevent the game from even switching to that damage type.

Take for example the Ranger when they hit a melee ability, and they want their ranged auto-attack to continue. They then choose to disable melee auto. It would not be much use if the game still switches to melee auto after they hit the melee CA, but then just sits there and does nothing, because melee auto is disabled.

Working correctly, the disable melee ability would allow ranged auto to continue, even after the Ranger uses a melee CA. Similar scenario would be the melee priest that disables spell auto, their melee auto would continue even after they cast a nuke. etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
Soul_Dreamer

Loremaster

The most simple way with no changes to front end would be just to to code it so if an auto attack is already on, don't  turn any auto attack on, if not, turn the auto attack type on.

At least then we only need to switch it once.

Knights of the White Shield - Splitpaw

Soul_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
Landiin

Loremaster

It is as simple as adding in an option that tells the game how you want to auto-attack; Ranged or melee. That is to hard I guess.

Rangers have been suffering from this since release. We've just learned to smash a /autoattack 2 macro after ever cast or add it to every melee ca. It is a pita for sure.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
Mermut

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

It is as simple as adding in an option that tells the game how you want to auto-attack; Ranged or melee. That is to hard I guess.

Rangers have been suffering from this since release. We've just learned to smash a /autoattack 2 macro after ever cast or add it to every melee ca. It is a pita for sure.

This, unfortunately, won't work with spell auto-attack. As it doesn't switch to spell ranged auto-attack until after the spell finishes casting. So the macro to switch to melee auto-attack would fire, spell would finish, engine switches to ranged spell auto-attack. SMILEY

Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Neiloch

Loremaster

Wow, so it's actually worse for caster ranged auto attack than it is for original ranged auto attack. Seems they learned nothing from the problems ranged auto attack still has.

The fact they can't seem to add ANYTHING to auto attack without players being displeased just goes to prove all the auto attacks need an overhaul. Ammo consumption, damage output, player control/activation. I can only hope they are letting the problems pile up so they can do one big pass to fix it all. Unfortunately a large portion of it is itemization.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Hardain

Loremaster

+10000 for this, really annoying with meleeing priests and mages when it turn spell auto on. It can't be hard to make it toggleable or some command for it.

Hardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
Stubbswick

Loremaster

I was just having a conversation about this with some people in my guild, and decided to come here to bring up the issue again.  Glad to see there are others who are still trying to argue for this.

Spell Weapon Auto Attack is seriously broken, and has been that way since it was released ~7 months ago.

First of all, as others have said, it's almost impossible to control.  I'm an inquisitor, and I do most of my damage with combat arts.  I do have a few spells that are worth casting, as well as things like damage reactives which count as spells.  These spells put always automatically put me into ranged auto attack.  I tried making a macro of each ability with an added /autoattack 1 line to see if I could force each spell to put me into melee auto attack afterwards.  No luck.  My only option if I want to always melee auto attack is to either not use any of these spells, or make sure I always use a combat art right before my auto attack hits.  Both of those are completely unreasonable.

In the same category of "impossible to control", as others have said there is no button to turn off spell weapon auto attack.  We've had situations in raids where mages have inadvertently pulled mobs with spell auto attack because unless you hit escape after every fight there's no easy way to turn it off.

Second, the damage done by Spell Weapon Auto Attack is terrible.  As an inquisitor, I literally do on the order of 100 times more damage with melee auto attack than spell weapon auto attack.  I'm sure the gap isn't quite as high for other classes, but it's still there.  Why is there such a gap?  Well, for one thing, I could never for the life of me understand why after 2 expansions that focused on stat consolidation and simplification, they added another 4 duplicated stats into the game.  It makes things much more confusing - I don't know how many times I have to explain the difference between Spell Multi Attack and Spell Weapon Multi Attack, two incredibly similar sounding stats that are completely unrelated. 

It also adds needless complexity to itemization.  Suddenly you see these items with a wall of blue text and it's harder to tell if something is actually an upgrade or not.  And of course, nobody took the time to go back and re-itemize existing items from the current raid content with these stats, so most people have a hard time getting more than a sprinkle of those stats here and there.

And people can't turn to traditional ways to boost those stats.  Melee auto attack stats are missing on most DoV priest gear.  But I can put 7 Multi Attack or 7 AE auto attack on a red adorn slot.  I can make multiple 4.6 Multi Attack white adornments and put them on a number of slots, and DPS mod on others.  I have AA choices that give me Multi Attack, DPS, etc.  And let's not forget that there are so many different classes that buff DPS, Multi Attack, Attack Speed, AE Auto attack, etc.  To my knowledge, there is not a single class which buffs the spell weapon equivalents of any of these stats.

Finally, another reason you see people complaining so much is because these wands have such better stats than their symbol equivalents.  Some of the wands that drop out of Drunder raids, for example, have more WIS/INT, crit bonus, potency, etc. than their counterparts.  To add salt to the wound, they're some of the only priest items I've seen drop in raids with melee auto attack stats on them.  How does that make any sense?  There's finally some items that buff melee auto attack stats for priest, but they end up making your melee attack not work.

It's really frustrating that this has been an issue since August, and hasn't been addressed at all.

Stubbswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Landiin

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

This, unfortunately, won't work with spell auto-attack. As it doesn't switch to spell ranged auto-attack until after the spell finishes casting. So the macro to switch to melee auto-attack would fire, spell would finish, engine switches to ranged spell auto-attack.

Yea that sucks. I don't macro any of my melee CA. I just have a macro that has /autoattack 2 on it. I have just gotton use to pressing it before my AA is about to fire. You can't use the one in your spellbook b/c it is a toggle, so if your already doing it and you press it you'll stop AA. Your best bet is to just create a macro with /autoattack 1 and get use to pressing an extra button just before your AA fires. 

I don't see them fixing it anytime soon. Rothgar said he had a fix for it about a year ago but it never went in. So I am just assuming they don't want it fixed.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
Mohee

Lord

I just get the feeling they don't listen to us players anymore.............

Never felt so unheard, or un-cared for by a company.

and i've dealt with a LOT of bad companies over the years...

EQ'ing since 1999
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
makoto27

Loremaster

The only things on an inquisitor that I cast that turns it on is heretics doom and master strike, vengeance and repentance dont turn it on. I found a way to combat that tho by turning off auto while the spell is casting then turning it back on as soon as the spell hits. Unfortunately something I cant control is when exorcise goes off it turns on spell auto attack...so so bad.

makoto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
Odys

Loremaster

Good luck all, anyway i'm gone. I will try some other games and revert to silver. More than a year with a broken balance, stupid mecanics, " good dps " that actually get 80% of their damage from passive play ..