EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Class Discussion (AoM Beta) > Itemization (AoM Beta)
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Kalika

In TOV i enjoyed :

- The several kind of armor and the armor exhange (with rate 7/1)
- The evolution using gems from yellow to purple, with the idea of reuse (break your green and get a red gem etc ...)

I hope that this will be continued and improved in AoM, but it may be not (which would be sad) because I saw no gem slot on the heroic amors. And also the guy was not selling so many kind of armors (%HP, dps, full pot/cb etc ...)
Kalika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Feldon

Heroic armor isn't in-game yet to my knowledge.
Feldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Phee

I personally hated the gem system.. it makes it really difficult to get alts gemmed raid gear.(who really wants alts that they wont be able to put gems in their gear.. it makes me feel not up to my full potential because of the lack of ability to get enough gems to go around) i suppose its alright for herioc and lower gear. But im pretty sure they are continuing with the gem system,(why else would they free gems in the CE that no one is buying)

There is Heroic and Raid gear on merchants by the TS docks. but its level 105 so you cant buy or wear any of it. but can look at it all. they dont have gems on them at the current time but im sure that will change.
Phee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Feldon

I personally loved the gem system. It makes it so I am not throwing away gear every time I run zones, but instead have an opportunity to upgrade pieces. Also in the process of upgrading the pieces, the adornments pop off, allowing me to easily shuffle them around to other gear. It did make me wish I had a pocket reforger though!

Not sure why gems were made so rare for raiding, as it should not take months and months to get pieces fully upgraded if they are going to offer multiple levels of progression through the year with fabled zones and the such.
Feldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
Kalika

Yes red gems were a bit rare, only main alt got some and i actually prefered the 4/3 over the 1 red (for my healer).

Also they should had given etymons, not for clearing a zone but for each raid named.
Something between 5 and 10 etymons for each encounter.

But globally i liked the idea to keep stuff and improve it.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Phee

You're right, its not so much the system, but the rate at which they dropped, and then they made i to where you could make them for eytma.. but really. that didnt help very much either.. if they do keep the gem system (which im sure they will) they need to make gems more accessible.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #7
Ecugia88

I hope they dont continue with how they made stats on gear. All of the stats on a Tank item or a Scout item, healer needs on it for an alt when the tank or scout couldve used it for an upgrade. Yeah, they need to steer away from that. It's annoying, but sadly they are too lazy to even edit that crap.
Ecugia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Mermut

SoE is not responsible for players being.. inconsiderate... to eachother.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Neiloch

Usually they keep that stuff off raid mobs so 'raiders' will run heroic content for the currency. usually we just run groups with fellow raiders and/or their alts so it doesn't accomplish a whole lot in terms of mixing up the community. I keep telling them if they set up a proper DF raiders would group plenty since the work needed to get a group going would be minimal. People cite the heroic content is 'too hard' one way or another for a DF to set up groups but it would be no different than the PUG's people set up now.

I've been getting all my etymas from the x2 daily since they released it.
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Arieste

I liked the idea of the gem progression system for armor in ToV. Except:

- The initial rate of gain of etyma/gems was terrible. After it was fixed, was good.
- The top tier gems not being part of the progression. Every gem should somehow come from the gem before. Excluding purple gems was bad.

The end result of the second point above was that that it made raid armor pretty much useless for alts or recruits and such, since they would never ever be able to get the gems to make it decent. I hope that in the next iteration of the gem system, every gem can be converted into the upgrade gem - with no exceptions.
Arieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Kalika

Yeap strongly organized raiders probably farmed etymons in guild group, but indeed i quite often healed such groups. So populations got mixed, guild group missing a healer or a buffer => they would just invite someone.

Btw I was not aware than the x2 was a daily ;-)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Chronus

I disagree with this point as 0/2 purple raid armor is better than 1/1 red armor or 4/3 potent. So unless you're only talk about the very easiest to get raid gear this quoted point isn't applicable.
Mystical 0/2 aITEM -2113874481 1042771367:Mystical Embroidered Robes of the Doomcaster/a
Energized 1/1 aITEM -1263754037 1777307010:Energized Superior Silversilk Robe/a
Overcharged potent 4/3 aITEM 55333557 -691925695:Overcharged Potent Aerakyn Pyrelord Robes/a

This is in my opinion what made it fine to have gems that upgrade gear as you go through the zones, my main disappointment with maw is that they were the main item that was desirable for a long time in there, which was a minimal upgrade and felt like you weren't really getting anything for killing the mobs. If gems are used as an addition to loot tables to make it so there's always something useful dropping I'm fine with them staying, but they shouldn't replace an actual loot table in of itself.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Arieste

'

You're correct, i didn't mean to imply that 0/2 mystical isn't better, just that the difference is pretty small and it feels rather lame to have a piece of armor that you can never ever upgrade. Just my opinion that gems shouldn't be the limiting factor - if you're able to get the armor, you SHOULD be able to get the gems, but given the rarity that just wasn't the case.

The overcharge thing is not a bad idea. What i think SOE shoulda done is instead of adding fractured red gems that can't be converted to purple, that they just kept SHINING as the only red gem and allowed 3/3 potent to convert to shining. And then for the mystical, they should have kept it 1/1 and used the same slot-specific overcharge mechanic as labs but from Maw. (which actually is almost exactly what they did, but they created a whole bunch of confusion by calling it something else and letting those gems be used as the 1st gem also - which wouldn't have been needed with the shining red conversion).

Overall though, i do like this idea of progressing armor. I hope that SOE has learned and refined the system for the new expac and that we'll see a consistency in how it works.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
Phee

This x10, My entire opinion on gems summed up nicely.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Estred

I'll agree to this. I only have Gemmed armor because I had 800+ Etyma to sink into it. The rates were terrible for drops across the board. It was hard enough to gear Mains with gems let alone Alts or Raid-Alts (like Estred was in ToV). If Gems are used to augment drop tables, some bosses having Gems be a focus of their drops like the Crumbling Emperor was where you got 1 Shining Red and 2 Fractured Reds.

The problem with Shining Reds is that people never used them, they were so hard to get unless you were the Avatar-Guild. Shining were always saved to convert to Mystical. So rates need to be looked at. Especially since 4/3 Potent, 1/1 Energized and 0/2 Mystical were about equal on the table. They were minimal upgrades from each other going P -> E -> M.

Progressing Armor is fine, if we have tools to progress well with. Etyma worked for Cryptic and Arcane, even Potent extremely well. However, the falldown was at Energized/Mystical. I don't see why Fractured Reds needed to be added. A guild could only get two per clear of Accursed. That's three clears just to get two Mystical Gems, which otherwise only came from GE or Maw. If it was intended that 1/1 and eventually 2/2 Mystical was "overgearing" then it should have been so and the disparity of drops wouldn't have been so bad.
Estred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
Arieste

Well i think the point of adding fractured was to add an influx of red gems while having no impact on purple. I think the main purpose of Fractured wasn't that they dropped, but that you could get them with etyma or from up-conversions. So i understand WHY they were added, i just don't agree that red gems needed to be split into two types. They should have just allowed the same etyma / conversion options using the shining gems.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #17
Anunnaki

I *do* like gear progression. I *dont* like how a full gemmed set of a certain tier is better than a non-gemmed set of following tier. Then you have situations in which a 3/3 potent set directly converts into a 1/1 energized. What's the point of having 0/1 energized then? Each tier should be an upgrade completely, like how 0/2 Mystical is better than 1/1 energized or 4/3 potent (the previous tier.)
Anunnaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
Arieste

I beleive the point of this is that a person that has invested the time in getting a 3/3 potent set (or 300 etyma) is rewarded over a person that hasn't. There are two kinds people that will obtain energized with the existing system:

1. Person that has 3/3 potent. For this person, energized armor will be an upgrade because they'll be able to immediately make it 1/1, which is better than 3/3 potent.

2. Person that has less than 3/3 potent. For this person, energized armor will be an upgrade at 0/1.

So in either situation, obtaining Energized is an upgrade. (unless i'm misremembering 2/3 potent stats, but i'm too lazy to look that up and it's a stupid scenario anyway).
Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #19
Mermut

Exactly.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #20
Anunnaki

Yeah, I get that. My point was that if you are 3/3 Potent, and get an energized piece, it shouldnt automatically be gemmed, otherwise whats the point of the gem system? All the other tiers have more than 1 slot for gemming (expect for mystical at launch, but that wasn't convertable anyways) so its only an issue for this one tier IMO. When you have a fully gemmed arcane piece and you convert it to a potent gem, its not maxed out with just the conversion. I think all tiers should be this way. I like the idea of conversions (kinda), but I dont think it should be handed to us (maxed) just because we got the previous tiers maxed.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #21
Mermut

On the other hand.. there is no point in equipping 0/1 energized if you have 3/3 potent.. as the 3/3 potent is better....
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #22
Ucala

tbh if you look at the raid armor, it does have gem slots. so I am pretty sure they gem system is staying.
It was really one of the first things I noticed when I saw the new gear
I don't know how you missed it
[IMG]
Ucala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #23
Phee

When this was first posted, there was no gem slots, they added them to gear the day or two after.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
Anunnaki

That is exactly the point of my post.