EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #91
Despak

Loremaster

It's easy if you run up the chains from the Isle below
Despak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:10 AM   #92
Mastera

Kordran wrote:

Kieran wrote:
I'm really looking forward to Faydwer, but in all footage so far a lot has been about clockworks. I don't want robots all over my favourite fantasy world! Crushbone orcs, kobolds (that one looked really great) and new rock heaps are all fine, but please keep the clockworks at a minimum. This isn't mech warrior.

Clockworks have been part of EQ lore since forever ago. Better get used to 'em.

You mean EQ1 lore?  I always see DEVs posting that EQ1 & EQ2 shouldn't be considered as one, and making direct relationships should be taken lightly.If something was to be blown up and destoried forever.....why couldn't it have been those rediculous [Removed for Content] robots.  Completely ruins the environment.Might as well bring on the 12 gauges...you nuke me....I shoot you.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #93
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Masterage wrote:

Kordran wrote:

Kieran wrote:
I'm really looking forward to Faydwer, but in all footage so far a lot has been about clockworks. I don't want robots all over my favourite fantasy world! Crushbone orcs, kobolds (that one looked really great) and new rock heaps are all fine, but please keep the clockworks at a minimum. This isn't mech warrior.

Clockworks have been part of EQ lore since forever ago. Better get used to 'em.

You mean EQ1 lore?  I always see DEVs posting that EQ1 & EQ2 shouldn't be considered as one, and making direct relationships should be taken lightly.If something was to be blown up and destoried forever.....why couldn't it have been those rediculous [Removed for Content] robots.  Completely ruins the environment.Might as well bring on the 12 gauges...you nuke me....I shoot you.

EQ2 is a future version of EQ1 gone down a different timeline starting at the Planes of Power events. Ak'Anon, the underground city of the Gnomes, existed long before that. It was a place full of clockworks and clockwork-related machinery. The city ticked. These are not sci-fi robots. This is Steampunk clockwork technology and the whole idea of clockworks and the steampunkish tendencies of gnomes has already been established in EQ2. Take a look around Baubleshire and see the big sprocket on the ground. Look around Temple Street and listen to all the gnomes talking about tinkering this or that.  It can't ruin the environment when it's already part of the environment, and clockworks are deeply embedded in the history of the gnomes in Norrath. On another note, the Steamfont kobolds have apparently been eating their Wheaties. Wow.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
54 Roswellian Mind Scrambler
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
TaleraRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #94
Mastera

Tinkering little objects, ornaments, and gadgets are one thing....but to think that a bunch of evil gnomes are in a basement, cranking out clockwork/droid/robot (doesn't matter what you call them...the pain it causes my eyes are worth the insult of "robot" everytime) mobs is ridiculous.  And Robot MOUNTS?!?!  [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]....with all the possible things they could have spent their time on...gimme a break.If the technology is sooo~ advanced that they can create huge raid robot mobs, why couldn't they start developing tinkered weapons? My 12 gauge?  Grenades?  Rocketlaunchers (finally get even with those rangers muahahaha)?  Hummers?  Where does it stop?I understand it may be in the background of EQ lore, and I don't mind it playing a small part.  But to spend an entire expansion on this pos is crap.  Theres a truck load of ideas and concepts that would have been much more satisfying to the average player...to please a small amount of people by saying "Ooohhhh Aaahhhhh....They gave us shiny robots like back in the good old EQ dayz" (played eq1 myself quite a bit...and have always had this opinion).  Once that shinyness wears off (I'll give it a week maybe) you're gonna laugh at the wasted time and resources.As I said...I understand a few will like it...but as a long time lover of EQ, its lore, and the gameplay...I'm thoroughly disappointed :smileysad:

Message Edited by Masterage on 08-11-2006 07:29 AM

Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #95
LittleHellcat

Tester

I love the look of the Faes!  The eyes, and even the ears with the bend in them.  Really cannot wait for this to come out!  Great job on the new race SoE  SMILEY

The clockworks on the other hand.......*sighs* maybe if they didn't look so shiny or like robots.  Even though it's lore, I know this, they look like robots.  Maybe ..........if they were rusted more, or make Tic-Toc sounds. 

*pawprint*    Yrsinia Pestis/Laviva Pestis Hawkndove

LittleHellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #96
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Masterage wrote:
Tinkering little objects, ornaments, and gadgets are one thing....but to think that a bunch of evil gnomes are in a basement, cranking out clockwork/droid/robot (doesn't matter what you call them...the pain it causes my eyes are worth the insult of "robot" everytime) mobs is ridiculous.  And Robot MOUNTS?!?!  [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]....with all the possible things they could have spent their time on...gimme a break.

If the technology is sooo~ advanced that they can create huge raid robot mobs, why couldn't they start developing tinkered weapons? My 12 gauge?  Grenades?  Rocketlaunchers (finally get even with those rangers muahahaha)?  Hummers?  Where does it stop?

I understand it may be in the background of EQ lore, and I don't mind it playing a small part.  But to spend an entire expansion on this pos is crap.  Theres a truck load of ideas and concepts that would have been much more satisfying to the average player...to please a small amount of people by saying "Ooohhhh Aaahhhhh....They gave us shiny robots like back in the good old EQ dayz" (played eq1 myself quite a bit...and have always had this opinion).  Once that shinyness wears off (I'll give it a week maybe) you're gonna laugh at the wasted time and resources.

As I said...I understand a few will like it...but as a long time lover of EQ, its lore, and the gameplay...I'm thoroughly disappointed :smileysad:

Message Edited by Masterage on 08-11-2006 07:29 AM

Last that I read on it, the clockworks took over Ak'Anon and booted the gnomes out. I would also hope after 500 years that they're able to make more than just rusty clockwork merchants, rats and spiders.

And it's not the entire expansion. Steamfont is only one section of Faydark. That video also shows an inside fight with an orc that makes me wonder if that's Crushbone. Plus clockworks weren't the only things in Steamfont, and as the video also shows, the kobolds are apparently still there in force, as I'm sure the other mobs in the zone were.

And fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But don't try to claim "robots" don't fit when you don't understand the genre. Norrath is heavily based on D&D concepts and gnomes tinkering clockworks and other items in a steampunkish setting is also an embedded trait in the different D&D campaign settings and in the D&D concept in general.

Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 08-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #97
Mastera

TaleraRis wrote:

But don't try to claim "robots" don't fit when you don't understand the genre.

As I said...I'm a long time player in EQL & EQ2 and completely understand the genre of the game.  A few clockword gadgets may be found around Norrath, but it doesn't take much intelligence to realize this is not a mechanical based game with large machinery and advanced technologies.  If it was...we would have all the items I listed above....although...my main point isn't stating that Clockwork items have no room in the game (I believe they do...to an extent).  My main gripe is that SOE seems to have no sense of priorities in this development and frame of promotion.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #98
chOgg

Loremaster

You will -tic- all be -tic- assimilated.  -tic-  Resistance is -tic- futile.  -tic-  -tic-Thoral, 46 Bruiser, Mistmoore

--------------------------------------------
chOgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #99
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Masterage wrote:

TaleraRis wrote:

But don't try to claim "robots" don't fit when you don't understand the genre.

As I said...I'm a long time player in EQL & EQ2 and completely understand the genre of the game.  A few clockword gadgets may be found around Norrath, but it doesn't take much intelligence to realize this is not a mechanical based game with large machinery and advanced technologies. 

If you are a long time Live player, then you remember that a large portion of the mobs in the Steamfront mountains were clockworks. There was the giant spider right outside of Ak'Anon, the rats, the rogue clockworks that wandered many parts of the zone, and other assorted and sundry mobs around the windmill area and the caves. There was a small area near the druid rings with the kobolds, some wandering undead, some wandering elementals and once the newbie armors went in, a handful of wandering drakes and drakelings, but the main attraction of Steamfont mobwise was always clockworks.

There was also the large section in Solusek's eye that had gnomes and clockworks. It's a traditional EQ thing that if it deals with gnomes then you'll probably run into clockworks, and so they should expect to be seen and encountered.

Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 08-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #100
Mastera

Masterage wrote:
My main point isn't stating that Clockwork items have no room in the game (I believe they do...to an extent).  My main gripe is that SOE seems to have no sense of priorities in this development and frame of promotion.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:30 AM   #101
TaleraRis

Loremaster

What do you think their priority for EoF should be then?
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 08-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #102
MollyMayhemm

Loremaster

They are trying to please THOUSANDS of players.. there will always be a select few that don't like this or don't like that...

solution: .. Don't buy the offending product... simple
MollyMayhemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #103
Tagaeronn

Loremaster

Ok, yes, the new race looks cool.  And, not as [Removed for Content] as you'd think with wings.  Here's my two cents tho...

Why is it that in combat, mobs just stand there?  Sure they kick, swing weapons, fall down, and (hopefully) hit the ground dead.  Why don't they side step?  Why don't they jump behind you for a backstab after they stun you?  I tried DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) briefly...and while the content is still small compared to EQ2, their combat was much more enjoyable.  Yeah...when the mob won't stand still and let you beat on it, things can get frustrating but still overall fun.  The only real movement (not just upper torso with a kick thrown in) I see is when players playing scout classes stun a mob then jump behind it for backstab.

Like I said...my two cents.  Other than that...looks good.

Tagaeronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #104
Drift3r

Loremaster

I wonder what type of computer they are using that allows them to use shadows and those graphic settings ? Seriously  are they testing this game on $15,000 dollar rigs that no one in their right mind can afford ?
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #105
jeanjuedi

Loremaster

Is it bad that the whole time I watched the Fae fight, all I wanted to do was see her wings being clipped?  There is something about the Fae that is just unnerving to me.
Crushbone
jeanjuedi is offline   Reply With Quote