EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Merker

Lord

For anyone who is interested, DAZ3D is offering two effective and robust 3D tools FREE for a limited time. These appear to be full version as well.

I own Hexagon and use it to produce commercial models models myself; it is flexible, intuitive and fairly easy to use. I compared my copy to the FREE copy and they appear to be the same (full functionality and licensing). So get it while it's hot.

Here are the links:

Bryce 7 Pro - 3D Scenery and landscaping tool. Bryce also has built in Modeling tools, so anything is possible. I don't use it, but seems pretty nice.

Hexagon 2.5 - 3D Modeling. This is one of my favorite 3D modelers. Simple and easy to use interface and powerful tools in a small package.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Merker

Lord

Oh and almost forgot, if you need some tutorials for Hexagon, there are many many nice, in depth, video tutorials available at ...

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon.php

Enjoy!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Drupal

Elder

both links in your first post are broken : 

We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Drupal wrote:

Both links worked for me. They're quite slow to load, which might have caused the issue you saw, but they do work.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Mermut

Loremaster

Both links worked for me.. thanks for the info and links!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Merker

Lord

Drupal wrote:

Hmmm their site seems intermittent right now, just keep trying to reload. I was able to get it to come up after a couple attempts. The site was a bit slow this morning so it could be a traffic issue. They are a pretty busy site so that's always possible.

Here is the direct link to their front page if you wish to cut and paste it into your browser. I was attempting to paste all of the direct links to the pages but no matter how hard I try the forums automatically create them as actual links (even if I paste as text and alter the html). It then truncates the visible URL so you see something crazy like "domain.com/such...blah...." making it useless to cut and paste.

Front page: www.daz3d.com

Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Merker

Lord

Here is another application that used to be a commercial app but is now freeware. I have never used it although I have a copy. The learning curve is probably higher than Hexagon due to it's multiple features and their complexities.This is a full working copy of the last version released by Calligari.

TrueSpace 7.6 - http://download.cnet.com/TrueSpace/...4-10187286.html

Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Tharx

Loremaster

Or you could download Blender, which is free, actively developed and more user friendly than most commercial 3d modeling softwares. (at least in my opinion) It takes a while to learn it, but they have decent tutorials.

www.blender.org

Now, if only this player studio was available here in Finland. Although I'm no longer playing the game due to pss.1 incident, I'd like to model some stuff for it.

Tharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Gilasil

Loremaster

Thanks!  I'm no professional artist, but I dabble.  I didn't realize you could get Bryce for free.  I'll have to check that out.  It used to be THE package to use for amateurs to make good looking landscapes.

Blender is definately a classic, but I found it's UI bizarre to say the least.  I suppose one could get used to it but I ended up paying the money for Lightwave.  The standard tools (Maya and 3DS) are, to put it mildly, expensive. 

Basically Autodesk has been buying up professional quality 3-D packages and the cranking up the price a LOT.   I'm surprised they aren't hit with a lawsuit the way they seem be trying to build a monopoly.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Tharx

Loremaster

I used 3ds max for many years, but after trying blender (after the catastrophe that was 3ds max 2012) there's no going back. I just can't understand why people pay ~4000-5000 dollars for those horrible softwares that Autodesk offers. Luckily student versions were/are free. I know Blender has some weaknesses, but overall it's more than good enough for modeling stuff for games and doing animations etc, and it has more useful features than 3ds max. Autodesk has the magical skill to turn everything they touch from gold to ...well, something else.

Blender's ui has improved a lot since the earlier days, so if it's been a while since you tried it you might want to give it another go, though Lightwave is quite decent too. Or so I've heard.

Tharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Merker

Lord

Gilasil wrote:

Thanks!  I'm no professional artist, but I dabble.  I didn't realize you could get Bryce for free.  I'll have to check that out.  It used to be THE package to use for amateurs to make good looking landscapes.

Blender is definately a classic, but I found it's UI bizarre to say the least.  I suppose one could get used to it but I ended up paying the money for Lightwave.  The standard tools (Maya and 3DS) are, to put it mildly, expensive. 

Basically Autodesk has been buying up professional quality 3-D packages and the cranking up the price a LOT.   I'm surprised they aren't hit with a lawsuit the way they seem be trying to build a monopoly.

LOL I agree that the Blender GUI is a bit hard to grasp. I tried it but got frustrated with it. AutoDesk actually brought the price of Maya down once they took it over from Alias Wavefront. Maya Complete used to cost between $15,000 - 17,000 U.S. Dollars! It's just a little more than a 3rd of that today for the Entertainment suite and is much more powerful than it used to be. Maya is probably worth the money for high end production and film but 3DS Max isn't worth me shelling out that kind of moolah when I can use Free or inexpensive software to produce the results I need.

But I'm a modeler and don't need the bells and whistles of either of those two software packages. I just need a mesh (polygon) modeler that allows subdivisions, with features devoted to just modeling and with perhaps a built in UVmapper and I'm a happy guy.

I used to use Rhino 3D but since it is more targeted to design, it's mesh handling isn't that great. It is a great design tool using Nurbs but conversion to a mesh is sometimes messy (more triangles than I like and not a pretty mesh lol). So, I weened myself off Rhino years ago and use Hexagon mostly now. If I need, however, I will go between both Rhino and Hexagon depending on which is easier to use for a task on a given model. But I always create the mesh and/or clean them up in Hexagon.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Merker

Lord

Tharx wrote:

I used 3ds max for many years, but after trying blender (after the catastrophe that was 3ds max 2012) there's no going back. I just can't understand why people pay ~4000-5000 dollars for those horrible softwares that Autodesk offers. Luckily student versions were/are free. I know Blender has some weaknesses, but overall it's more than good enough for modeling stuff for games and doing animations etc, and it has more useful features than 3ds max. Autodesk has the magical skill to turn everything they touch from gold to ...well, something else.

Blender's ui has improved a lot since the earlier days, so if it's been a while since you tried it you might want to give it another go, though Lightwave is quite decent too. Or so I've heard.

Hmmm.. I may have to download a copy of the newer Blender and play around with it when I have time. It's been a few years since I had tried it out so I would guess by now someone has worked out that clunky GUI and made it more user friendly lol.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

Thanks for sharing the links Merker! 

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Senvares

Loremaster

fare warning SOE will not be responsible if you get a virus since these are not really any programs that SOE has confermed also i would be a bit carefull about getting files from CNet.

Senvares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Tylia

Loremaster

Senvares wrote:

fare warning SOE will not be responsible if you get a virus since these are not really any programs that SOE has confermed also i would be a bit carefull about getting files from CNet.

Uhhhh.. I downloaded them from DAZ3d which is a reputable site and one I trust completely.  SMILEY

Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Merker

Lord

Senvares wrote:

DAZ3D is a reputable source for their software, it is virus, trojan, malware, adware , spyware, grayware etc etc.. free ;o)

I performed a scan of Truespace 7.6 from CNet and it is free of contaminants as well :o)

But don't take my word for it, scan them after you download them, virii are activated only after you run the executable, so scan them before you run the installer.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Senvares

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Senvares wrote:

Uhhhh.. I downloaded them from DAZ3d which is a reputable site and one I trust completely. 

im refering to this site that was posted.- http://download.cnet.com/TrueSpace/...4-10187286.html

so uhh i would ask if you would go through and read the posts before making what seems to be a smart arsed remark

Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Brigh

Loremaster

Why would you think that Cnet would not be reputable? It has been around for a decade or so, and is owned by CBS. Remember: CBS cares.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Senvares

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

Why would you think that Cnet would not be reputable? It has been around for a decade or so, and is owned by CBS. Remember: CBS cares.

you would be quite suprised of how many virus's are given out from cnet downloads.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
Tylia

Loremaster

Senvares wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Senvares wrote:

Uhhhh.. I downloaded them from DAZ3d which is a reputable site and one I trust completely. 

im refering to this site that was posted.- http://download.cnet.com/TrueSpace/...4-10187286.html

so uhh i would ask if you would go through and read the posts before making what seems to be a smart arsed remark

It might have helped if you had quoted the post that you were "referring" to.  With no quote, it appears that you are referring to the original thread starter post.  Seriously.. unbunch your britches!  SMILEY

Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
Juravael

Loremaster

Merker wrote:

For anyone who is interested, DAZ3D is offering two effective and robust 3D tools FREE for a limited time. These appear to be full version as well.

I own Hexagon and use it to produce commercial models models myself; it is flexible, intuitive and fairly easy to use. I compared my copy to the FREE copy and they appear to be the same (full functionality and licensing). So get it while it's hot.

Here are the links:

Bryce 7 Pro - 3D Scenery and landscaping tool. Bryce also has built in Modeling tools, so anything is possible. I don't use it, but seems pretty nice.

Hexagon 2.5 - 3D Modeling. This is one of my favorite 3D modelers. Simple and easy to use interface and powerful tools in a small package.

I downloaded the two programs that you linked above. Everything was fine with them.

I have a question about a third program that I see Daz is offering for free but I am unable to download it. Daz 3D Studio 4.5 is listed as free on the site but when I choose the 64 bit windows version and click download I just get an error. This happens to any of the 4 choices. Any idea how or where else one might go about downloading this one?

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
Tylia

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Merker wrote:

Here are the links:

I downloaded the two programs that you linked above. Everything was fine with them.

I have a question about a third program that I see Daz is offering for free but I am unable to download it. Daz 3D Studio 4.5 is listed as free on the site but when I choose the 64 bit windows version and click download I just get an error. This happens to any of the 4 choices. Any idea how or where else one might go about downloading this one?

I am in the process of downloading DAZ3d Studio 4.5 right now.  Did you click on "Add to cart" for that product?  Did you register for an account with DAZ3d?  If so, you should get an email from them after you go through the "checkout" process.  Even though your amount due will be $0, you still need to go through the process.  In the email, it will tell you to log in to your account and go to My Downloadable Products.  From there, you will be able to use the link to download the program.  Hope that helps.  SMILEY

Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
Merker

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Merker wrote:

Here are the links:

I am in the process of downloading DAZ3d Studio 4.5 right now.  Did you click on "Add to cart" for that product?  Did you register for an account with DAZ3d?  If so, you should get an email from them after you go through the "checkout" process.  Even though your amount due will be $0, you still need to go through the process.  In the email, it will tell you to log in to your account and go to My Downloadable Products.  From there, you will be able to use the link to download the program.  Hope that helps. 

Yep that's one way to do it and that assures that if you lose it, you can always reset the download and download it again from your account. However, I was able to download it without ever logging into my account just from selecting the radio buttons (selections for 32 or 64bit) and just clicking download. Started right up without having to log in. Maybe try a different browser? FireFox or Chrome maybe? Or if not using Internet Explorer, try that. I am using IE 9

Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
Merker

Lord

Tharx wrote:

Or you could download Blender, which is free, actively developed and more user friendly than most commercial 3d modeling softwares. (at least in my opinion) It takes a while to learn it, but they have decent tutorials.

www.blender.org

Now, if only this player studio was available here in Finland. Although I'm no longer playing the game due to pss.1 incident, I'd like to model some stuff for it.

I took a look at some Blender video tutorials last night and the GUI has certainly came a long way. Much less clunky and confusing from what it used to be. It certainly reminded me of Hexagon's GUI which is one of my favorite features of Hexagon. When I get soem time I will have to install and give Blender a test drive.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
Landiin

Loremaster

Senvares wrote:

Brigh wrote:

you would be quite suprised of how many virus's are given out from cnet downloads.

Where are you getting this data from? Can you post a link to the data to back up you claim? Or are you just going off what you hear on the internet?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Gilasil

Loremaster

Tharx wrote:

Actually, Lightwave is probably better then decent.  Among the professional artists I know it's considered comparable to 3DS or Maya.  Cost is a bit over $1000 so it's pricy but nothing like those other packages.  As with the others it's considered a complete package which lets you model, add effects, rig, animate, and render.

It's been used a lot for professional 3-D effects in TV and movies.

Finally, some people mentioned using student versions of Maya or 3DS.  You better research it a bit -- both the license and SoEs guidelines.  It's very likely against the license of those apps to use those versions for commercial applications which EQ2 most certainly is.  Autodesk wants you to pony up the $8000 for the regular version.

I may yet give Blender another try, just to see if they really did fix up that UI.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

I'm not going to DL anything until I know what they want us to use or if they are going to provide thier own 3d modeling tool for the studio thing.

I don't want to get good with something like Blender or Daz and then find out that the Studio has it's own program I'll have to learn all over again.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
Merker

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

I'm not going to DL anything until I know what they want us to use or if they are going to provide thier own 3d modeling tool for the studio thing.

I don't want to get good with something like Blender or Daz and then find out that the Studio has it's own program I'll have to learn all over again.

The format used by Sony is Alias's OBJ format which is widely universal. All of the mentioned software natively import and export OBJ.

From the Player Studio page at EverQuest2.com....

"Please submit all geometry files in OBJ format and all texture maps in TGA format"

Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
Juravael

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Merker wrote:

Here are the links:

I am in the process of downloading DAZ3d Studio 4.5 right now.  Did you click on "Add to cart" for that product?  Did you register for an account with DAZ3d?  If so, you should get an email from them after you go through the "checkout" process.  Even though your amount due will be $0, you still need to go through the process.  In the email, it will tell you to log in to your account and go to My Downloadable Products.  From there, you will be able to use the link to download the program.  Hope that helps. 

I use IE9 but I also tried Chrome and it gets the same error.. can't find that server. I can't add it to a cart, because it is free. Ive tried but do not see that option anywhere at all. All that I see is the option to click the radio buttons for the operating system then click the download button.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Merker

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Merker wrote:

Here are the links:

I use IE9 but I also tried Chrome and it gets the same error.. can't find that server. I can't add it to a cart, because it is free. Ive tried but do not see that option anywhere at all. All that I see is the option to click the radio buttons for the operating system then click the download button.

Hmmm sounds almost like something is blocking it, perhaps a Firewall or something is getting in the way.

You can download version 4.5 from CNet here if you wish: http://download.cnet.com/DAZ-Studio...tml?tag=mncol;1

I think once you install it, you can do the update from within the software once it is run. It does require a serial number if I recall but I think it is included in the freeware package in a text file.

I would click the "Direct Download " link under the green download button that way you can bypass the Cnet download manager thingy