EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
TylerBarnes

Loremaster

I've been a loyal EverQuest player for years. This account its self was created in either 1999 or 2000 back before Kunark was released for EverQuest one.I don't see much hope for EverQuest one, but it seems to me EverQuest 2 is doing the same thing.There doesn't seem to be much communication between the development team and customer service because I've submitted tickets for problems and they've straight up told me they don't know if it was deliberate or accidental.It also seems like they're not doing their due dilligence to polish the game as much as "revamping" and "consoldiating." Much of the content feels like it was released too soon and is incomplete. A lot of the promises they make they don't deliver and in chat on the Guk server the general consesus seems to be that they're just using EverQuest one and two to pay the bills until EverQuest Next comes out. I, am so disappointed with one and two I don't plan on picking up three.I'm actually quitting the game now because I'm just done with what I feel is a disregard for what the community wants.I hope they get their act together because back in the day, EverQuest, Kunark and Velious were the best games on the market in my opinion and it brings back a lot of fuzzy feelings and nostalgia but I've lost respect for the franchises.I've played World of Warcraft and they seem to polish the game and constantly be improving upon released content instead of just putting out new stuff. Their battleground system is excellent, their looking for group dungeons are very well done and their content is consistent and if it is ever broken it gets addressed and fixed fast.They're not perfect, but I appreciate how much work they put into the game and I wish it was the same with EverQuest one and two because I love the old world and gods.Anyone else agree?Chat amongst yourself. 

TylerBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Foretold
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Rage

Loremaster

Nope.  I've played WoW... for years... and this game exceeds it by far.  I don't think the powers that be are always going in the right direction here, and I'm not sure they always listen to us (although they often surprise me and do...).  I like this game, I've played it since beta.  And while the old grey mare ain't what she used to be, its still one of the most enjoyable games out there.

Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Sixten
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster

Yes. I dont play anymore but i check the forum now and then. I have this stupid tiny hope that things will change.

My main reason for quitting is the pss1 deal, but im also saddened by the direction of game development. What would have me log in would be the cancellation of pss,1 deal.

What would make me a full time player again would be a server with gameplay similar to what it was during eof. No guild halls, freeport and qeynos reset to their original version, no cashshop, every tier would be as hard when they were released (yes that means overland zones would offer adventure again), dovs itemization woukd ofc have to be repaired, if not highest tier would be sf. Id play on that server!

Sixten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
ivoryseeker

Loremaster

I started playing EQ2 back before EoF.  I loved it but didn't have the time available to really enjoy the game.  I eventually switched over to WoW but you can only play on easy mode for so long before you get completely bored with it.  Although I still don't have the time to really get that deep into the game, I had to come back to EQ2.  I really missed how much better this game was designed and how much more you can do on it.  If your looking for a game with a real story to it and more than just hack and slash, WoW is not the answer.  EQ2 might not be perfect but in my opinion its much better than the others on the market.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Veltherel

Loremaster

MMORPGs are going to pot all round, but the thing is at least EQ2 is going to pot at a slower rate than the others, for which I think players here should be, if not thankful, at least pleased.  Believe me, there are a lot worse MMOs out there than this.  I'm a casual player, and I dip into lots of MMOs, and trust me, in terms of AAA MMOs that are still around and still graphically enticing enough to play, EQ2 is one of the best, if not straight up the best PvE MMORPG around (can't speak to PvP - EVE Online is almost certainly the best PvP MMO around, if that gives you any idea of my standards).

Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Raffir

Loremaster

I have no problems with this game.  I've played all the MMO's to date and none of them, so far, can touch EQ2 for variety of things to do in game besides grind.  Its still fun and as long as it is still fun, I'll continue to keep a sub here...no matter which other games I may be trying.

I think the problems of this game are are way overblown by a certain segment of gamers whose hyper-inflated sense of entitlement tells them that everything must be perfect or the whole game is useless to them..and us apparently.  We play these games free or for a monthly pittance for hours on end and all some people can do is endlessly gripe about the most minor of issues. 

I'm not tired of this game....I'm really tired of some gamers though.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Wingrider01

Loremaster

betwen eq1 and eq2 been in norrath since beta 1 in 1998, still have not gotten tired of it. Have to admit I do play other games as a change off but not consistantly or day in and day out like this one

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
SteelPiston

Loremaster

I'm a vet of EQ2 since 2004. I still love the game and play every day. I enjoy the new content and look forward to the game updates and expansions. The only change I'd like to see is the removal of banks and brokers from guild halls.

I've no objections to guild halls, as they are good for rapid transit, meeting up before raids, tradeskilling etc. However having a bank and broker in them means that people rarely ever go to the towns any more. Even on the busy servers, the game feels deserted. New players that are not aware of the guild halls think that they are exploring a ghost town and the game is dead, when it's not.

I'd also like to see new instances of old dungeons. How about a level 50 or level 80 version of RoV or Fallen Gate with level appropriate loot. I know I loved the Runnyeye 2 when it came out. This just involves placing new mobs in old dungeon layouts which must be pretty easy for the devs to do.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Arielle Nightshade

Loremaster

I am.  I keep coming back to 'try' to like it and then leaving and trying something else.   Unfortunately, since WoW is the gold standard of games due to it's success, every MMO tries to be 'like' WoW without realizing what it is that makes it popular.  They tack what they think the popular features are onto their game, and hope for the best.

You start with  an interesting game like..say... Rift started out to be, or a unique interesting experience like this game was initially.   Then start making changes to make the WoW audience happy and it ends up feeling like some weird stuff was duct taped onto the original game.   I compare it to a heal class that tries to hybrid spec a little bit of damage and healing.  They end up not doing either well, they just  needed to do one or the other fully.

So until SoE commits to actually making this game WoW, Jr. - or commits to making it's own unique entity, we are going to end up with all the weirdness we have and the feeling that the game's integrity is lost.

(edited for horrible grammar and way too many commas)

Arielle Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Twyxx

Guardian

I still really enjoy the game and wish more people did.  Nobody is on a minute outside of raid times anymore so I end up sitting around the hall when I'd love to be out running zones as a guild.  People just don't want to play this game hard anymore. 

While I understand their frustrations and reasons for not logging in anymore, I'm still okay with the direction of things for the most part and think things have improved since Smokejumper stepped down/away.  Before, it felt like they were trying to prop it up and squeeze whatever they could out of us before sunsetting the game. Most the time now it seems like they care/are trying. 

Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Sixten
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

I've no objections to guild halls, as they are good for rapid transit, meeting up before raids, tradeskilling etc. However having a bank and broker in them means that people rarely ever go to the towns any more. Even on the busy servers, the game feels deserted. New players that are not aware of the guild halls think that they are exploring a ghost town and the game is dead, when it's not.

I'd also like to see new instances of old dungeons. How about a level 50 or level 80 version of RoV or Fallen Gate with level appropriate loot. I know I loved the Runnyeye 2 when it came out. This just involves placing new mobs in old dungeon layouts which must be pretty easy for the devs to do.

Id love these two changes.

I want to point out that there are old timers that do go with the flow and like the direction of the game.

Im not one of them, but I dont consider myself having an inflated sense of entitlement just because Im sad that the game has changed so much that in the end my only log in time was for raids. The game is perfect as it is for some, and for others its changed too much. Ideally soe would offer different servers for different gameplay. I loved the game and was a die hard fan from original release up to and including eof. However, the common concensus today seems to be that all games must be alike, with cashshops and fast paced gameplay. Us minority gamers are out of luck.

Sixten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Andok

Loremaster

While there has been lots of changes that I don't like, EQ2 is still my favorite game.  Unless something drastic canges in the game or my life, I don't see myself leaving this game until EQ3 comes out.

Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Equilibrium
Server: Kithicor

Loremaster

EQ2flames.com has a thread titled "I cancelled my account, and here's why"

137 pages strong. So yes, alot of people are fed up with the direction this game is going. Most of them already quit though.

Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
Chillor

Loremaster

TylerBarnes wrote:

I've been a loyal EverQuest player for years. This account its self was created in either 1999 or 2000 back before Kunark was released for EverQuest one.I don't see much hope for EverQuest one, but it seems to me EverQuest 2 is doing the same thing.There doesn't seem to be much communication between the development team and customer service because I've submitted tickets for problems and they've straight up told me they don't know if it was deliberate or accidental.It also seems like they're not doing their due dilligence to polish the game as much as "revamping" and "consoldiating." Much of the content feels like it was released too soon and is incomplete. A lot of the promises they make they don't deliver and in chat on the Guk server the general consesus seems to be that they're just using EverQuest one and two to pay the bills until EverQuest Next comes out. I, am so disappointed with one and two I don't plan on picking up three.I'm actually quitting the game now because I'm just done with what I feel is a disregard for what the community wants.I hope they get their act together because back in the day, EverQuest, Kunark and Velious were the best games on the market in my opinion and it brings back a lot of fuzzy feelings and nostalgia but I've lost respect for the franchises.I've played World of Warcraft and they seem to polish the game and constantly be improving upon released content instead of just putting out new stuff. Their battleground system is excellent, their looking for group dungeons are very well done and their content is consistent and if it is ever broken it gets addressed and fixed fast.They're not perfect, but I appreciate how much work they put into the game and I wish it was the same with EverQuest one and two because I love the old world and gods.Anyone else agree?Chat amongst yourself. 

I agree, That is why I unsubscribed today. I could write a book here why it seems SOE no longer cares about EQ2 but I won't waste my time. EQ2 is in its death throw and I will no longer waste my money on a ship that is sinking and fast SMILEY

Chillor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Tallisman

Loremaster

I enjoy the game. The only direction that's making it go down the toilet (for me, anyway) is P7S1.

Click my drum. Here's the story behind it.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
Vexil

Loremaster

My biggest problem is the watering down and easymoding of the game.  But that has been going on for years since theyve been trying match WoW by dumbing everything down to pure simpleton levels.  Would much prefer the gameplay from launch.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
Outkast1980

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Yes. I dont play anymore but i check the forum now and then. I have this stupid tiny hope that things will change.

My main reason for quitting is the pss1 deal, but im also saddened by the direction of game development. What would have me log in would be the cancellation of pss,1 deal.

What would make me a full time player again would be a server with gameplay similar to what it was during eof. No guild halls, freeport and qeynos reset to their original version, no cashshop, every tier would be as hard when they were released (yes that means overland zones would offer adventure again), dovs itemization woukd ofc have to be repaired, if not highest tier would be sf. Id play on that server!

I am ok with guild halls. Guild Halls didnt ruin the game.  outside of that couldn't agree with you more.

Outkast1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

I am staying for the most part due to the friends I have in game and my guild.

I usually end up soloing for the most part, which can get very boring as it is kinda repetative and easy.  Not much of a challenge, except for the new areas which I need groups for.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Chickenchucker

Loremaster

Been a EQ player since april 2000 right when kunark released, was a Guide on tarew marr in 2004, have seen all the changes that have ruined this game come at an ever more exponential rate. The problem is this company SONY is a corporation, and all they care about are profits, and as long as they have a way to show a profit thats all that matters. While I understand changing their business model to FTP is needed to maintain profitability, they certainly didn't have to take out RISK VS REWARD. This game is so easy and lack so much challange, it is nothing more then POINT and CLICK, wash and repeat. I can't even stay logged in to long without just getting bored. The game has everything it needs in terms of content, graphics, etc, but its missing challenge, and the feeling you get from being challeneged.

Chickenchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
Veltherel

Loremaster

Chickenchucker wrote:

Been a EQ player since april 2000 right when kunark released, was a Guide on tarew marr in 2004, have seen all the changes that have ruined this game come at an ever more exponential rate. The problem is this company SONY is a corporation, and all they care about are profits, and as long as they have a way to show a profit thats all that matters. While I understand changing their business model to FTP is needed to maintain profitability, they certainly didn't have to take out RISK VS REWARD. This game is so easy and lack so much challange, it is nothing more then POINT and CLICK, wash and repeat. I can't even stay logged in to long without just getting bored. The game has everything it needs in terms of content, graphics, etc, but its missing challenge, and the feeling you get from being challeneged.

Speaking as a newbie: I dunno, I'm finding soloing a Mystic pretty challenging atm (lvl 19).

My Berserker on the other hand (lvl11atm) seems to melt through stuff like a hot knife through butter, as, oddly enough, does my Troubador (lvl 14).

To my mind, "challenge" is subjective anyway. If someone wants a challenge, they can do orange or red mobs or quests (which is what I tend to do when I want a challenge).

Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Lasai

Loremaster

I obviously like the game, and I keep coming back.. yet every time I do SOE drops some big stupid hammer on me and I end up going to play something else.

Shard grinding got me to leave.  Came back.. bit later the massive re stat happened and logging in to toons that were equipped with worthless gear and seeing the utter mess TS itemization was in (and still is) got me to leave.  Came back, played a bit, got hit with New Freeport and all of my mounts going insane, got disgusted, left.

And now, Im back again.. enjoying questing, but, the Qeynos bomb is coming, my reactant recipes have been made junk for the most part, TS is still so borked.. (protip.  Rangers use longbows.  Perhaps Agi on them?).   The sole topic in Guk general is house decorating.  The last guide "event" on Guk was a tour of decorated houses....  bleh.  I feel the urge to blow out of this game coming again.  While questing is still fun, I can't quest every second.. and then I start recalling the game that was compared to the game that is and honestly.. I dont like it nearly as much.

All I can say is what I said about SOE and thier long history with SWG.  They manage, somehow, to snatch defeat from the jaws of success over and over again..and slowly whittle away on an amazingly loyal customer base.   SOE gets more second chances than any other game publisher I know of.. and they just cannot capitalize on it.

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
hansomepete

Loremaster

Eh I can say I tried to go over to the other sides. Did the wow thing when they had a 14 day trial didn't get past day one. They should have called it cartoon warcraft. For me it was the player base they all seemed like 12 year olds.

Did the warhammer online almost the same as WOW but didn't hold interest. Figured I would go hardcore with Conan with the blood and stuff. IT was OK but the graphic problems they had/ have is a huge issue couldn't play it anymore.

Rift eh liked the class stuff I may have bought it but was not in love with it.

I do like SWTOR not perfect but it keeps me coming back.

You don't realize just how much this game is well thought out until you see how other people do it. 

Crafting is great, if a game can do cafting as well as everquest I would play it. I like the idea that you have to go do it instead of just sending someone off to do it.

Everything in this game requires you to actaully have some skill to do it.

I also play or played DC online that is one messed up game. If they took more direction from EQ then they would have a stellar game.

It just seemd they threw the game out with no real direction or idea. Once you get to cap it's do your dailies for marks, hope to get your armor then find a group to do alerts rinse repeat. I could only do so many batcaves before I got to this is boring.

hansomepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Elskidor

Loremaster

Yeah, that's why I quit months ago.

Elskidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Coffee_Hound

Elder

Overall, I like the direction the game is going, and it is way better now than it was when I first played it several years ago.  The only major issue I see is that grouping before the end game is almost nonexistent.

Coffee_Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Gilasil

Loremaster

Overall I can't complain.  I was in the EQ1 beta and have been playing EQ1 or EQ2 most of the time since with occasional interludes to try other games.  I keep coming back.

I wish they had a lot more content but I suspect there's only so much the development team can churn out and they can't expand the development team without more subscriptions.  There's things I wish they did differently, but the positives far outweigh the negatives so I'm still here.

What is most likely to make me quit is hitting a wall.   When there's simply no way for me to proceed given my circumstances.  My circumstances being that the people I play with are all casuals to some degree, which means grouping is always an iffy proposition and people tend not to be well geared out.  However, things like mercs (which many on this board opposed before they came out) have loosened things up and made life in EQ2 much nicer then it was a year ago. 

What most concerns me for the future is posts on this board.  I worry that SoE will listen to a vocal minority and send their game off into a new direction -- a direction which the casual people I play with nowadays could not follow. 

So far, SoE seems to understand that this board is not an accurate cross section of players.  They take a lot of flak when they put in features for types of players not well represented on this board -- are accused of being out of touch for example -- but I'm glad they do it.

The people I talk to in game invariably have a more positive attitude towards it then what I see on this board.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
wizkey68

Loremaster

I like the game tons but my problem is that by the time my guild tht is a very laid back maybe 4 hours a week play can get the armor it is totally outdated so we never catch up to the current stuff. Also there is no way in anyones wildest imagination that the new crafted gear is in any wy afordable or even relevant since in the time it takes U to get the raw materials U have better armor than can be crafted and if ur not in a raid guild forget about it even being a dream
wizkey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
krul2k

Historian

i just left wow an about 7 85's there to move to this after i played the trial so yeah im enjoying it

no matter how bad or boring you may find this game, compaired to wow an numerous other games i could mention believe me there is a hell of alot more to do in this than any of them

krul2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #28
gourdon

Loremaster

The biggest problem with EQ2 is that they have reduced their development staff and have lost a lot of their best developers.  As a result, the game is getting ragged around the edges because they just don't have enough bandwidth to put effort into making sure everything works well.  Further, it seems likely things will only get worse.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
Filly67

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

137 pages strong. So yes, alot of people are fed up with the direction this game is going. Most of them already quit though.

While I will frequent flames for some class topics please do not use this as an example of game direction.  That thread has been around since 2008 and has multiple responses by the same players.  Not a great indication of game direction, imo.  Add to this that most of the thread like most of flames is created around players attacking each other.  So many of those people admittedly haven't played the game for years.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
Kasar

Loremaster

Filly67 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

While I will frequent flames for some class topics please do not use this as an example of game direction.  That thread has been around since 2008 and has multiple responses by the same players.  Not a great indication of game direction, imo.  Add to this that most of the thread like most of flames is created around players attacking each other.  So many of those people admittedly haven't played the game for years.

Maybe they didn't like the direction it was going several years ago?  I saw geared raid tanks deleted after LU13, and it took 3 GU's after that to get some classes decently playable again.  It's happened to a lesser extent with each combat revamp, with some people quitting and returning, and others just quitting.  The commonality is that they were, at least at one time, interested and willing to spend money to play the game.  If the game changed and left them behind, there may have been some reason, though with F2P and ignoring such things for so many years, it probably no longer matters why anyone leaves.  They simply need numbers for their whaling to work and provide revenue, if 80% try it and leave, but some of the remaining 20% spend money... I'm sure they've figured out a break-even point and some time ago the point where subscriber numbers don't matter.  That said, I still find this game relatively unknown on other gaming sites, which isn't a good thing in a F2P model.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote