EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

Is leveling too fast in EQII, or is it convenient to be able to level up an alt quickly?  Zimm shows ZAM how to rapidly max a toon and we contemplate on leveling speed in the game in...

The Race to the Level Cap

And on that note, all of us over at ZAM wish y'all the very best of the season.  I'm gonna go wrap more presents!

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
BleemTeam

Loremaster
BleemTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 425
Default

__________________





"What's left to ponder?"
BleemTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant
SisterTheresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,250
Default

Er ....

__________________
SisterTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

Warning!!

Link is not safe for those browsing at work, I ended up with soft-porno site Nuts opening in a second window!

As for the question itself, yes you can get to 80 in a stupidly quick time, but your character is going to be so gimped they are going to have to spend as much time (if not more) going back and earning AA, decent gear etc etc.

What's the point, there is a heritage quest called "the Journey is half the fun", now personally I think that it should be much more than half the fun, but level 80 in 7 hours... *sighs* that's totally missing the point.

Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Warning!!

Link is not safe for those browsing at work, I ended up with soft-porno site Nuts opening in a second window!

Shouldn't have...  did you get a screenshot of it?  PM me.  That's not allowed.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
thephantomposter

Loremaster
thephantomposter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 573
Default

Calthine wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Warning!!

Link is not safe for those browsing at work, I ended up with soft-porno site Nuts opening in a second window!

Shouldn't have...  did you get a screenshot of it?  PM me.  That's not allow.

It was fine for me

thephantomposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com
Xalmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,895
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Warning!!

Link is not safe for those browsing at work, I ended up with soft-porno site Nuts opening in a second window!

Sounds like you have a virus.

__________________
EQ2Achieve - Your guide to all EverQuest II Achievements

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
BleemTeam

Loremaster
BleemTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 425
Default

Link was fine for me too.

I still think this is incredible. Wonder how fast the 80/200 pace will be?

__________________





"What's left to ponder?"
BleemTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
Allforgrog

Loremaster
Allforgrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 186
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Warning!!

Link is not safe for those browsing at work, I ended up with soft-porno site Nuts opening in a second window!

ROFL....in all seriousness might want to run a full system scan. Considering what material likely carried this gem, might not want to bing it to teh store to have it looked at .

Allforgrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

It's a work computer, Firefox browser, that I only use for eq2 sites while bored. The whole network is virus and trojan checked on a regular basis. With hindsight, given I have images turned off for sneaky browsing, I perhaps managed to click the link and then also click an advertising banner when zam opened. I doubt anybody else outside the UK would get "Nut's" showing as an advert.
Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Saihung23

Loremaster
Saihung23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware:Home of...Home of...we got stuff!
Posts: 1,527
Default

If you're ever intersted in doing a story on someone levelling from 0-80 in 5+ years, send me a note.

__________________
Saihung23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Poypoyking

Loremaster
Poypoyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 49
Default

Wow, I couldn't imagine getting to 80 with only 30 AA.

Poypoyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Ama

General
Ama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,833
Default

This doesn't surprise me in the least, but I will say that even with ROK it was very dependant on where you started from.  Had more luck doing the Sarnak area as far as leveling goes vs the regular starting areas including Kelethin and Darklight City. 

With RoK it took me about a week or so to get to 70 something, but that was playing for 2hrs at a time or less per day.

__________________
Ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

If you're ever intersted in doing a story on someone levelling from 0-80 in 5+ years, send me a note.

It'd be an autobiography.  This piece does make me embarassed that I haven't gotten off my you-know-what and dinged 80.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
Brook

Tester
Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,336
Default

Calthine wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

If you're ever intersted in doing a story on someone levelling from 0-80 in 5+ years, send me a note.

It'd be an autobiography.  This piece does make me embarassed that I haven't gotten off my you-know-what and dinged 80.

No reason to be embarrassed, lots of us are in no rush to 80 and try to enjoy the journey there.

__________________
But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

Calthine wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

If you're ever intersted in doing a story on someone levelling from 0-80 in 5+ years, send me a note.

It'd be an autobiography.  This piece does make me embarassed that I haven't gotten off my you-know-what and dinged 80.

80 is the twilight years, hobbling around, doing the same old routine all the time and getting cranky at the slightest thing, all the while hoping the doctors come out with a new treatment (read: expansion) to prolong your life a little futher. Be happy in the fact that you are still a youngster with a (..large chunk of the...) world of wonder to experience for the first time. No embarassment in that.
Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
hellfire

Loremaster
hellfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 1,842
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Link was fine for me too.

I still think this is incredible. Wonder how fast the 80/200 pace will be?

A Wizard did it in 4 days 22 hours

__________________
Summoner pets are 1/3 the dps of a summoner and yet our stats and modifiers do not affect them.Since a pet is 1/3 a summoners dps,a summoner receives 2/3 benefit from gear when compared to any other class.

SHARED STATS AND MODIFIERS ARE A MUST!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 08!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 09!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 10!


2011 and Finally we are Fixed!

/Rides off into the sunset
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
Tabris93

Loremaster
Tabris93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 49
Default

I am a new player, and I don't think the levelling is too fast. I have now been playing (casually) for about a month and have an adv. lvl of 38 and artisan lvl of 23. (I also have an alt that's lvl 20). So for me, it will take me several more months to reach lv 80 and that suits me find. I am not rushing to get there. Part of me would actually have wanted the levelling to go faster as I would love to test out other classes and races as well, but I can't play too much since I am also a master student. Thus with my pace, it will take me years to get several characters up to lvl 80.

Many games have weaknesses or loop holes people can exploit if they want, gamers have been doing that since the dawn of games. Go to YouTube and search for "speed run [NameOfGame]" and you will find loads of games being completed in a matter of hours. I don't think any game should be made with those gamers in mind. Most people chill and enjoy their game in their own time, and those are who the game should be made for, in my opinion.

__________________
Tabris93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Jonaroth

Loremaster
Jonaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 761
Default

What I want to know, which the article did not explain, is how do you lvl quickly from 68-80.

I have 12 lvl 80s, and I've power leveled a toon before from 1 to 80 in 48 hours (maybe less, sitting around afk, browsingthe broker, cleaning inventory, ect)

I did that without any potions at all, without three-six boxing, without any uber fabled gear. I simply had a T2 void shard geared mythical paladin with all export quality spells. I mentored my lowbie and just put the lowbie on autofollow never casting a spell all the way to lvl 70, and plowed through groups of heroic mobs for hours and hours as fast as I could back to back to get through 1 - 70 in somewhat like 15-20 hours. Now using potions and having a group of 5-6 with power regen and uber dps, fabled gear and masters, im sure you could turn that 15-20 hours down to maybe 5 hours from 1-70.

But what i want to know is how you go from 70-80, only way I could see doing it for decent XP was solo quests, I did it with a mythical paladin plowing through all the mobs so it went very quick, and i was able to do the last 10 lvls in about 20-30 hours, it was slow and painful, but I got it done in a week (playing a few hours each night)

If there is a faster way through lvl 70+ i sure want to know it.

__________________
Jonaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

Jonaroth wrote:

What I want to know, which the article did not explain, is how do you lvl quickly from 68-80.

What Zimm told me is that any good group zone will do.  Part of your hint here is you can group with levle 80's, which means you can do much higher level content than you could at 68.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
Solarax

Loremaster
Solarax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 487
Default

could you ask the individual what his lvl80 dinged AA was.

just curious because soloing i have a system ( does not take advantage of RAF or mentor bonuses obviously) and while its not near 7 hours its not bad at all and after taking a character that missed the first 20 levels of AA ( character was made and dinged long before AA where in game as a pure crafter ) about 3 months ago i started playing this one that has a good 30 aa dis advantage ( starting characters from scratch i get about 32 aa by lvl 20).

where im going with this is .

i enjoyed playing my character completely solo and dinged lvl 80 ( this isnt my first one to concentrate on AA though) and when i dinged 80 yesterday i had 181 and nearly 182 AA.

I have started another experiment with a new character that will keep level locked for a VERY LONG TIME and see how many AA i can achieve and what the curve looks like to find sweet spots and move on points to establish new curves and spots.( this experiment requires a lot of patience and is not so enjoyable for most people )

Solarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #22
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

I doubt it was much AA; if you look at Zimm's leveling notes he only did a half-dozen dungeons. 

I'd be interested in anyone's "how I did it" bits, especially one on hitting 80/200 with a quickness!

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #23
BleemTeam

Loremaster
BleemTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 425
Default

Whoever said 30AA is probably close to right. With so few places visited, and only 4 completed collections, it can't be THAT many...

Then again with the slider bar set at 5% you actually gain AA really quickly with 275% xp gain.

__________________





"What's left to ponder?"
BleemTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
Terrius

Loremaster
Terrius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada, We have Hockey and Beer, eh!
Posts: 505
Default

Just gonna point it out, but if you are lvl 80 with 30 aas you're gonna be pretty useless.
Terrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #25
Miss_Jackie

Loremaster
Miss_Jackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 354
Default

Brook wrote:

Calthine wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

If you're ever intersted in doing a story on someone levelling from 0-80 in 5+ years, send me a note.

It'd be an autobiography.  This piece does make me embarassed that I haven't gotten off my you-know-what and dinged 80.

No reason to be embarrassed, lots of us are in no rush to 80 and try to enjoy the journey there.

2.5 years for me and I'm level 72. >.<

Miss_Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #26
Solarax

Loremaster
Solarax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 487
Default

Tabris93 wrote:

I am a new player, and I don't think the levelling is too fast. I have now been playing (casually) for about a month and have an adv. lvl of 38 and artisan lvl of 23. (I also have an alt that's lvl 20). So for me, it will take me several more months to reach lv 80 and that suits me find. I am not rushing to get there. Part of me would actually have wanted the levelling to go faster as I would love to test out other classes and races as well, but I can't play too much since I am also a master student. Thus with my pace, it will take me years to get several characters up to lvl 80.

Many games have weaknesses or loop holes people can exploit if they want, gamers have been doing that since the dawn of games. Go to YouTube and search for "speed run [NameOfGame]" and you will find loads of games being completed in a matter of hours. I don't think any game should be made with those gamers in mind. Most people chill and enjoy their game in their own time, and those are who the game should be made for, in my opinion.

as a new player versus a player that already knowss the game you wind a huge diference. once you have one lvl80 toon it will be tremendously easyer to get more and after 2 -3 it will be a science. and the bonuses are nice ( stop at 50% i believe)

Solarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
Ansek

Loremaster
Ansek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 200
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It's a work computer, Firefox browser, that I only use for eq2 sites while bored. The whole network is virus and trojan checked on a regular basis. With hindsight, given I have images turned off for sneaky browsing, I perhaps managed to click the link and then also click an advertising banner when zam opened. I doubt anybody else outside the UK would get "Nut's" showing as an advert.

Not necessarily. Using Firefox with a pop-up stopper and ad blocker I always ALWAYS get a new window open when I visit Allakhazam. Normally its an online poker or bingo site, twice its been Nuts and once was for a male genital enhancer that "all the top [Removed for Content] stars use!!" My brother has the same issue using Chrome - both of us based in Europe (Norway and UK). Not the end of the world cos we're using private, home PCs but annoying especially as we're both premium members. 

Speaking for myself I only get it on Allakhazam EQ2, not EQ1 or FreeRealms.

Ansek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

Ansek wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It's a work computer, Firefox browser, that I only use for eq2 sites while bored. The whole network is virus and trojan checked on a regular basis. With hindsight, given I have images turned off for sneaky browsing, I perhaps managed to click the link and then also click an advertising banner when zam opened. I doubt anybody else outside the UK would get "Nut's" showing as an advert.

Not necessarily. Using Firefox with a pop-up stopper and ad blocker I always ALWAYS get a new window open when I visit Allakhazam. Normally its an online poker or bingo site, twice its been Nuts and once was for a male genital enhancer that "all the top [Removed for Content] stars use!!" My brother has the same issue using Chrome - both of us based in Europe (Norway and UK). Not the end of the world cos we're using private, home PCs but annoying especially as we're both premium members. 

Speaking for myself I only get it on Allakhazam EQ2, not EQ1 or FreeRealms.

Ahh, I guess I'll add zam to my list of "Java/Javascript to be disabled" sites.  Although I generally don't use the site too often so no doubt I'll forget.

Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #29
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

If you're getting bad ads on ZAM, mail [email protected] or post in the site feedback forum.  http://eq2.zam.com/forum.html?forum...um=0&page=1

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #30
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

Meh, I'll stick with adverts disabled...

In a wierd way I would get into more trouble at work having 'Party Poker' pop up on screen that [Removed for Content]... something to do with them being one of our competitors...

Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.