EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Fan Art
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Starman

Loremaster

Only because I have a hard time finding an app that supports TGA except Photoshop. Picassa doesn't support it, and they say that it's a "niche market". I haven't tried iPhoto yet (all my screenshots are stored on a shared network drive that my G5 can get to, but Windows users still need support).So that leaves me with having to open a group of files at a time in Photoshop. Is there something out there that will support .TGA files which allows me to view my entire collection like Picassa?Mike
Old 11-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Lothartvni

Loremaster

You can go into options and set it for .jpg format...
Lothartvni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:33 AM   #3
Darkeb

I don't understand the problem.. we have jpg! ;P
Old 11-29-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Starman

Loremaster

Why in God's name would I want JPG format? It looks pathetic next to a TGA. Have you ever done a comparison?Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 02:02 AM   #5
UnicyclePe

What formats are supported? I prefer .png personally. Do the quality formats (.png, .jpg) support a quality slider? I've never looked at those options. I will tonight.

Uni-P
Old 11-30-2004, 04:40 AM   #6
Starman

Loremaster

Yes, there's a quality slider, but at highest quality, JPEGs come out looking like crap. I should post a comparison of the two.Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
FilanFyretracker

Loremaster

http://www.irfanview.com/ best image viewer and converter in existance, and its totally free and it opens enough formats to make a programer at adobe head spin.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Starman

Loremaster

FilanFyretracker wrote:
http://www.irfanview.com/ best image viewer and converter in existance, and its totally free and it opens enough formats to make a programer at adobe head spin.

WOW! Nice app. A little rough around the edges, but it gets the job done until Picassa gets their act together.

Mike

Old 11-30-2004, 10:39 PM   #9
Telri

Starman wrote:Why in God's name would I want JPG format? It looks pathetic next to a TGA. Have you ever done a comparison?Mike
I did a comparison in Everquest Live, with BMP and JPG and i must say the JPG's looked awfull when compared with the BMPs, the colours were washed out and the pictures had a softer (unsharp) look to them.
Telri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
Jowa

you should look at what my 100% JPEG screenshots look like (I am talking about 3MB JPEG files); it just sounds like your video card's frame buffer is crap, that's what.

and no I don't mean the screenshots I've been posting around here; those were re-encoded by Photoshop to 60% quality.
Jowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Starman

Loremaster

Now that I think about it, I don't think I took a screenshot with JPG since I installed the X800. I'll have to try that.

Mike

Old 12-01-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
Telri

Jowana wrote:
you should look at what my 100% JPEG screenshots look like (I am talking about 3MB JPEG files); it just sounds like your video card's frame buffer is crap, that's what.
and no I don't mean the screenshots I've been posting around here; those were re-encoded by Photoshop to 60% quality.

Lol, if im using an application, in this instance everquest live to take a screenshot and there is a noticable difference in the way it takes BMP and JPG files, then the frame buffer of the graphics card has jack to do with the difference in quality of the pictures. Im not saying that the JPEG files cant be of good quality, however when compared to the BMP output of EQLive there was a noticable difference and there could well be in EQ2, although i havent tried yet.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:10 PM   #13
Jowa

frame buffer has to do with EVERYTHING when it comes to screenshot, lol. my girl friend's old computer can't even take screnshots of Windows without it getting grainy.

the JPEG-encoding ability of the application also comes into play, however, which may be why you noticed difference between the formats in EQ live - but seeing that my EQ2's JPEG screenshots are coming out perfectly, indicating that EQ2's JPEG encoding capability seems decent, there's no reason why yours should look crappy either, hence the other factors.

anyay, since you insisted, here's the files for comparison:

I made both full screen and toggled between them; the only difference I can make out are the colors of the text in the chat box (it's more orange in the BMP, which s what I see in game, whereas the JPEG version has a lighter yellow, which, I suppose, is due to the JPEG's limited color space).  The colors of the textures are reproduced fully in the JPEG screenshot, and armor details, text, and hotkey icons all show excellent, sharp details and display no visible distortion around the edges like in badly-compressed JPEGs.

So I don't see why anyone should complain about the JPEGs.

As for TGA, I am not exactly sure why they picked this particular standard either, as the file size is no different from BMP.  But if you have Photoshop, I don't find converting it into BMP very troublesome at all - you can open multiple files in Photoshop by holding down the Shift key (will select all files between your first pick and last pick) or the Ctrl key (only selects the files you click), and converting them all at once.

Message Edited by Jowana on 12-01-2004 10:25 AM

Jowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #14
Telri

Jowana wrote:
frame buffer has to do with EVERYTHING when it comes to screenshot, lol. my girl friend's old computer can't even take screnshots of Windows without it getting grainy.
The framebuffer holds the pixel values ready for the output (2d or 3d) for the video display, if your girlfriend is taking grainy screenshots in windows (and this doesnt show up on the monitor she is using) then more than likely she is in a low colour depth or an application is causing the issue. Either way both should be about the same.
the JPEG-encoding ability of the application also comes into play, however, which may be why you noticed difference between the formats in EQ live - but seeing that my EQ2's JPEG screenshots are coming out perfectly, indicating that EQ2's JPEG encoding capability seems decent, there's no reason why yours should look crappy either, hence the other factors.
Thats the point i was originally trying to make in a hap-hazard way, the jpegs i have taken in EQ2 so far have been great, but i havent had time to compare them to the TGA (or whatever uncompressed format it is) that it uses to determine if there is a noticable difference. I'm not saying there will be, just that in EQ1 there was a more vibrant and sharper look and feel to the images, if grabbed to an uncompressed file-format.

Jowana wrote:
it just sounds like your video card's frame buffer is crap, that's what.
As i never mentioned by graphics card at all, have not made any indication of the quality of the images im recieving and have not posted details about it anywhere else, what technical information did you use to determine this? There are limitations with JPEG, thats why professional digital cameras have to support an lossless compression format to be able to sell......anyway were going off-topic, the thread starter wanted BMP files, lets hope he gets them SMILEY