EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Reliquary

Happy Camper

Cool or not cool?

I am prepping my "wizard set" for submission (once the EU unlocks the submission award ^_^)  One part features an arcane style baseplate, which currently features a pentagram (wicca, not pagan).

So is this gonna get it thrown out?  and is so can anyone reference an EQ / EQ2 symbol that is "similar" to all intents and purposes.

Edit : someone in channel pointed out that Emperors Athenium (EQ2 / TSO zone) is awash with pentagrams, so I am assuming they are fine??

Reliquary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

I can't speak for SOE, but I can repeat a few things they have said in some interviews I've seen / read that *might* apply.

For PlayerStudio, they keep stressing "make your own designs" ... so I honestly don't know which way an existing and well-known symbol would fall.

They have also stated that text is an auto-decline. They have not yet mentioned symbols, beyond that it must be your own "take" on any symbol found in-game. It cannot be a copy.

=========================================

For whatever it may be worth... one reason that I play in Norrath is to get -away- from "real world" stresses. Things like religion and politics.

Symbols that appear in both the "real world" and Norrath, those tend to disrupt immersion. It yanks me out of the lovely fantasy I had going, and throws the real world into my face.

Yes, Norrath does have some of those real-world symbols in-game. It's always jarring to me, and others have expressed the same sentiment.

Also, I wonder about using real-world religous symbols in any game. I'm concerned that practitioners of that religion may view it as disrespectful.

Additionally ... If SOE will let in pentagrams and yin-yangs, what's next? Since the policies forbid discrimination on basis of religion (et cetera), letting those two symbols into the game suggests that *all* religous symbols may be acceptable (from SOE's perspective). I can immediately think of a handful of religious symbols that several people would find offensive. If you think about it, you can probably imagine at least one or two that you'd rather not see in-game, too.

Myself, I'll avoid opening that particular can of worms.  SMILEY  IMHO, better to leave them all out than to [appear to] play favorites.

=========================================

However, ultimately, it's your decision. If you can find a different way to express the concept of "arcane" that does not include a real-world symbol, that would result in an overall design that should be more unique and therefore more likely to pass inspection.

Not sure if that helps, but it's a few coppers to ponder anyhow. SMILEY

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
HaohmaruEQ2

Developer

Good question! Eden had a great follow up too which shares a lot of our mentality when it comes to this stuff as well.

The short answer is - stay away from religious symbolism that could easily be confused with it's real world associations. The 'pentagram' in the Atheneum is a bit close to a traditional pentagram, and probably should have been massaged to lessen the similarities, but is definitely not being used to convey satanic or wiccan intent. Evil/arcane/witchly/etc is fine!

Variations on the standard star/circle would be ok if done well - Imagine a closed pentagon (solid shape, not an outline) and from each facet, an open triangle offset away from each facet (not connected, removing the core star affiliation) - then a circle of some design (maybe broken designs that 'form' a circle, or just more design like in nature than a circle around the whole thing) would be ok in our book. It's when it's easily confused with religious intent we'll likely outright decline it.

HaohmaruEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Reliquary

Happy Camper

HaohmaruEQ2 wrote:

Good question! Eden had a great follow up too which shares a lot of our mentality when it comes to this stuff as well.

The short answer is - stay away from religious symbolism that could easily be confused with it's real world associations. The 'pentagram' in the Atheneum is a bit close to a traditional pentagram, and probably should have been massaged to lessen the similarities, but is definitely not being used to convey satanic or wiccan intent. Evil/arcane/witchly/etc is fine!

Variations on the standard star/circle would be ok if done well - Imagine a closed pentagon (solid shape, not an outline) and from each facet, an open triangle offset away from each facet (not connected, removing the core star affiliation) - then a circle of some design (maybe broken designs that 'form' a circle, or just more design like in nature than a circle around the whole thing) would be ok in our book. It's when it's easily confused with religious intent we'll likely outright decline it.

Yah; I took on Eden's sage advice and I have come up with something suitably Warlock in illustrator...

One thing you could help me out with; I watched the round table with the Lord and Master (SmokeJumper) and it was mentioned that text is not prefered.  I have used a few of the "evilrune" glyphs on the design, to make it it "fit" the EQ2 universe.  There are 12 and the actually spell "Player Studio", cos that is a nice 12 letters, no repetition.  I ran it throught the Internet Anagram Server and found no rude words, but interestingly, "Player Studio" is an anagram of "Pedlar Tis You" (Old English spelling, but /meh! and very appropriate!)

I have some other very fundamental questions after running lots of the sample geometry through a blender render.... but I'll open a new thread for that.

Thjis is the 0.1 version of what I came up with, none of the runes are rotated to center and there is no texture or ancillary details etc... really a very early layout, but if you can give any feedback Haohmaru?

Reliquary is offline   Reply With Quote